IGNORED

Fullbacks

Clutton Caveman

I think it is clear that Hunt is just far too slow and every team targets that. Vyner could do no worse. He is quicker, more energetic and more enthusiastic.

As for left back I am really confused. Dasilva is clearly not the best defender, he is a liability in the air but is in for his attacking flair.

Really?? On Sunday we was twice one on one with the fullback and on both occasions did not get past him or get in a cross

If this guy is showing nothing going forward I can't see how his defensive qualities make him a viable option going forward.

I fear that he has offensive quality but like others our wonder coach has destroyed it.

We cannot go up now so clearly this is the time to see if players like Walsh, Morrell, Palmer, Vyner and Szmodics, Semenyo etc have what it takes in the Championship. If not clear them out at the end of the season

My preference would be to sack LJ and appoint Williams as caretaker until the end of the season

Both full backs struggled yesterday, but then both had next to no protection because Johnson played strikers on each wing.

Dasilva is one of the best in the division, I don’t think he struggles much in the air either for a player of his height. 

I’m not sure that Vyner is a championship standard right back, Rotherham fans will tell you that. Not sure the Aberdeen fans thought much of him there either. 

Plymouth fans loved him at CB, I think he could work well in a back 3. 

6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Both full backs struggled yesterday, but then both had next to no protection because Johnson played strikers on each wing.

Dasilva is one of the best in the division, I don’t think he struggles much in the air either for a player of his height. 

I’m not sure that Vyner is a championship standard right back, Rotherham fans will tell you that. Not sure the Aberdeen fans thought much of him there either. 

Plymouth fans loved him at CB, I think he could work well in a back 3. 

Vyner's best spell was Plymouth, where he was played CB.

Aberdeen, I mean its Derek, so naturally Zak is a CM.

Williams as caretaker until the end of the season is never going to happen.

As for the full backs....

DaSilva likes to attack and looks better when we actually attack. Yesterday just completely stifles him and the system offered zero protection as there was no midfield. DaSilva is still Beth competent.

Don't get me started on Hunt. You have to ask would he get in any other top half champ side? For me, unlikely. He isn’t up to it. Another one of many positions Lee hasn’t addressed during his tenure. From what I have seen Vyner isn’t and won’t ever be the answer. That said I would have him above Hunt every day of the week.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

Hoping JD isnt another that was a very good loan but never showed thw same form once signed. Same for Kalas.

I’ve been disappointed with Kalas. He’s looked like a League One defender at times.

17 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

4-3-3 doesn’t help fullbacks. Pretty sure LJ only played it to get all the front 3 in the team, which didn’t work. I’d like to see 442 or 532 with Afobe plus AN other up top. Possibly 442 allowing us to play Eliasson who is our only real quality in terms of supply

Quite. To criticise the full backs on yesterday's performance is to massively miss the point. The minute the manager thought it a good idea to pick that forward line and that midfield, the defence as a whole, never mind the full backs, were on a hiding to nothing.

And but for two moments of incompetent defending at set pieces, the manager would have got away with it too! 

The fact the midfield exerted no control over the game whatsoever, either offensively or defensively, the fact the forwards didn't combine meaningfully at all, and the fact our attacking play as a whole was incoherent, would have been swept under the carpet if we'd got something from the game yesterday.  

I admire the manager's desire to go for it at home, shame he's not brave enough to do that more often, but his team selection yesterday was a nonsense and, as a consequence of his selection, the team's performance was a dog's dinner.

These players deserve better. They deserve a manager they can trust.

As do we.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Hoping JD isnt another that was a very good loan but never showed thw same form once signed. Same for Kalas.

Kalas is proven. We’re never ever going to get more proven at our club. 

Wait to judge him under a new manager.

41 minutes ago, Super said:

Dasilva is fine, Kalas too. Remember both of them have had injuries and were playing with an exceptionally intelligent defender in Webster whilst on loan. 

3 hours ago, Super said:

Jay DaSilva is an England Under 21 international,he is obviously a decent player maybe its because the team around him is constantly changing.Kalas on the other hand has looked poor without Webster alongside him.

Right back has been a problem since Bradley Orr left. Ayling was decent for a while, but we sold him, and Tevernier was ok on loan, but we decided not to pursue him. I'd seriously try to buy Perreira, who has scope for real improvement, and use Vyner letting Hunt go. I'm not sure if we've got a kid in the wings at RB. Rowe and Dasilva are fine on the left until we feel Cameron Pring us ready. 

4 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think it is clear that Hunt is just far too slow and every team targets that. Vyner could do no worse. He is quicker, more energetic and more enthusiastic.

As for left back I am really confused. Dasilva is clearly not the best defender, he is a liability in the air but is in for his attacking flair.

Really?? On Sunday we was twice one on one with the fullback and on both occasions did not get past him or get in a cross

If this guy is showing nothing going forward I can't see how his defensive qualities make him a viable option going forward.

I fear that he has offensive quality but like others our wonder coach has destroyed it.

We cannot go up now so clearly this is the time to see if players like Walsh, Morrell, Palmer, Vyner and Szmodics, Semenyo etc have what it takes in the Championship. If not clear them out at the end of the season

My preference would be to sack LJ and appoint Williams as caretaker until the end of the season

Semenyo will play lower league level all his career 

Archived