IGNORED

Mark Van Bommel

Wolf Island

Perhaps to a club with the standing of Leeds, West Brom etc in this division. More likely i think he would end up in the top flight abroad somewhere.

Would certainly be a an interesting name to be linked with if that ever happened. You would think he could sort out the midfield though, horrible player to go up against back in the day.

1 hour ago, Hare Island said:

Neither of those articles show anything like you suggest

Just now, David Brent said:

Neither of those articles show anything like you suggest

The first one describes the kind of player we need! Aggressive, demanding, niggly, good at 'game management'....

2 wins in 12 at the end and he blames the injuries and suspensions as one would expect. And he wants the Bundesliga because he mentions it first. I suspect there are a few other clubs and plenty of other candidates out there that might come before us and him respectively as and when a vacancy at BS3 opens up.

Highly unlikely we would be able to get MvB but he fits the profile of the sort of manager/head coach we need - if the board are serious about getting to the PL. Two-year contract, substantial promotion bonus, accept he may walk away after a year, have the next candidate lined up if he does. 

7 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Keen to go abroad, mentions England, wants to build rather than interim. City the perfect project?

Interesting . Can’t see SL going for someone abroad. We could be a decent project for him though 

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

What have you seen to suggest he could be good for us? What’s his record like? 

In the Eredivisie I'd be sceptical of any manager at one of the big 3 clubs as they should be expected to have good records at least

16 minutes ago, David Brent said:

First link he’s looking for a job, pretty much anywhere. 2nd link is all about his midfield partnership with De Jong.

What have you seen to suggest he could be good for us? What’s his record like? 

Looking for a job abroad, not interim but somewhere where he can coach his ideas. 

The other link is an insight into MvB the man - single-minded, nasty if he needs to be. Part of the Dutch tradition but also hard as it comes. 

City under LJ have always struggled with managing established players and bigger egos AND ruining youngsters’ confidence. MvB would command instant respect and would be a great motivator. He had a great start at PSV and then tailed off, but if he had been an unqualified success there we’d have no chance. 

Think of the effect he could have on Morrell, HNM, Eliasson etc.

26 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Definitely. But I keep reading Van Bommel on here without anything to really back up the suggestion. 

Yeah I wondered where it came from. I'm well up for us recruiting a former elite player with modern ideas and a lot of drive, but I didn't know why vB was the guy.

24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

2 wins in 12 at the end and he blames the injuries and suspensions as one would expect. And he wants the Bundesliga because he mentions it first. I suspect there are a few other clubs and plenty of other candidates out there that might come before us and him respectively as and when a vacancy at BS3 opens up.

The Schalke job should be available soon!

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah I wondered where it came from. I'm well up for us recruiting a former elite player with modern ideas and a lot of drive, but I didn't know why vB was the guy.

The Schalke job should be available soon!

Yes, good shout. Or Dusseldorf if he fancies a Bundesliga 2 challenge. Oooh... Rosler? ... arghhh no ok.

Has this guy done anything of note as a manager at all?  Struggling to see why the w*nkathon about him really, appreciate him as a player, but I’m not sure he’s what we need.  

IMO we are a very stable Championship club with a good team of players, and a manager with experience of success at this level will be able to walk in and really make a difference, without the need to save us from relegation or whatever, it’s almost a free hit!

7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Has this guy done anything of note as a manager at all?  Struggling to see why the w*nkathon about him really, appreciate him as a player, but I’m not sure he’s what we need.  

IMO we are a very stable Championship club with a good team of players, and a manager with experience of success at this level will be able to walk in and really make a difference, without the need to save us from relegation or whatever, it’s almost a free hit!

And I for one would like to thank Lee J for getting us to this position. I should now like to bid him farewell, safe journey and good luck in his future endeavours.

p.s. ditto his two assistants.. done a decent job.

41 minutes ago, phantom said:

Does he have any experience of the EFL Championship? NO

NEXT . . . . .

Weird that half the suggestions I've seen people suggest haven't been successful at championship level either....

47 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Don't get me wrong, Jokanovich would be my No.1 target if and when LJ goes but we could do far worse than approach MvB. Someone who's been coached by the best, someone the players can respect, someone who has his UEFA licences, a 59% win ratio in 18 months at PSV,  an out-and-out leader, and a hunger to succeed. There's plenty to like. Bilic, Benitez, Lampard and countless others didn't have experience at this level - and that didn't stop them doing well. When you've played or managed at the top, it could only benefit a club like ours if we were to pull it off. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

Farke, Wagner , jokanovich, didn’t have championship experience.

Wouldn't want any of those near AG8

33 minutes ago, hodge said:

Weird that half the suggestions I've seen people suggest haven't been successful at championship level either....

There's not being succesful and having no understanding of our game

We're always told a player can take at least a season to adapt to the English game, and I can't believe it would be any shorter for a Manager

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Wouldn't want any of those near AG8

Off the top of my head...

Bielsa, Bilic adapted rather quickly- mind you Bilic had also managed PL and played for a number of English clubs.

Farke and Wagner did take a while to get their message across but have been notable successes in circs with Norwich and Huddersfield, in a number of respects.

Jokanovic has two promotions and good Championship record generally- his football is great to watch as well, albeit can lack in defensive stability!

Lamouchi at Nottingham Forest is doing quite nicely- experience at this level? He might be a better comparison than say Bielsa or Bilic.

I could also point to Nuno at Wolves but then the whole Mendes thing helped- helped a lot. He still has a very good body of work there to date though, think they're in the running for top 4!

Interesting example might be Frank at Brentford- he falls between two. On one hand this is his first full Championship season but he had half a season to adapt- and he was assistant at Brentford for a couple of years possibly. His first few months were pretty rocky really- bit like Jokanovic at Fulham in fact, except Frank's Brentford have a better balance this year IMO.

5 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Looking for a job abroad, not interim but somewhere where he can coach his ideas. 

The other link is an insight into MvB the man - single-minded, nasty if he needs to be. Part of the Dutch tradition but also hard as it comes. 

City under LJ have always struggled with managing established players and bigger egos AND ruining youngsters’ confidence. MvB would command instant respect and would be a great motivator. He had a great start at PSV and then tailed off, but if he had been an unqualified success there we’d have no chance. 

Think of the effect he could have on Morrell, HNM, Eliasson etc.

What evidence is there that he's a great motivator winning a few games in the Dutch league at one of the big three clubs is not an amazing feat he's done nothing , Mark Robbins at Coventry would be the choice knows the league and got the best out of the best player currently on Citys books but would he leave Coventry for Bristol City though at this time.

8 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

What evidence is there that he's a great motivator winning a few games in the Dutch league at one of the big three clubs is not an amazing feat he's done nothing , Mark Robbins at Coventry would be the choice knows the league and got the best out of the best player currently on Citys books but would he leave Coventry for Bristol City though at this time.

Tbf, he did fantastic last season (18-19); the issue he had this season is that PSV lacked depth having sold the likes of Lozano, Bergwijn, De Jong, and Angelino for a combined £70-80m. It was alway's going to be transitional and they've done no better since he left despite signing the likes of Ricardo Rodriguez on loan to fill in the vacant role Angelino left. Bergwijn had a fantastic season under Van Bommel, he also promoted other youth players who are now garnering firm interest in the forms of Donyell Mallen and Cody Gapko.

I'd much prefer him, based on his record, compared to LJ. His predecessor, is current Derby manager Cocu for comparison who considering their FFP situation has done a good job insofar since they lost Lampard and the Chelsea loanees in terms of steadying the ship.

Archived