IGNORED

The team for this Wednesday.

Roadrunner

I don't think anyone else has said this, so am I the only one that thought from the line up on Sunday that Afobe would lead the line with Wells and Weimann as wide forwards? 

That just made more sense to me given Wells has played wider before and is quicker.

Personally Wells and Afobe must play in a 2.

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone else think it's nailed on we'll win? LJ does tend to get a result when he is under pressure. Or is it wishful thinking?!

Nope, be absolutely amazed if we did.

13 hours ago, Swede said:

I would not be surprised at this team;

Bentley (simply because Maenpaa's done nothing wrong and needs undermining)

Vyner (after lauding him as a makeshift midfielder, plays him at right back. Later on the head coach switches him to an unaccustomed midfield role believing his own hype and to completely bamboozle the opposition who are fooled for all of 10 seconds before sending him to play further forward after 80 minutes to try and get the 4 goals needed to get a draw)

Rowe ( because he needs to keep it tight and he didn't play last time. The coach will push him into midfield after 12 minutes of relentless Forest pressure which is all part of the head coach's tactical masterplan before switching him to a left wing back role and finally playing as a No.10 as he played there 10 years ago for Peterborough and might get a goal) 

Kalas (because he didn't play last time but might have improved)

Benkovic (because he didn't play last time either so couldn't have let the coach down. He is pushed into midfield after 33 minutes of relentless Forest pressure as the head coach believes he is actually a midfield player and why didn't anybody else play him there)

Watkins (because the coach can rely on him and he can swop with Vyner in another tactical reshuffle after 15 minutes of relentless Forest pressure to man mark Grabban to stop him getting his hat trick. He ends up playing up front after 88 minutes when it's too late and we're chasing the game and that is despite not having any shots on target)

Smith (despite the fact he has little influence anymore in games but he points well and loves collecting the nice easy passes. He ends up playing right back)

Nagy (Only because Massengo has played too many games)

Pato (He's playing against his former club so the head coach is heavily relying on him having the game of his career, so no pressure then. The head coach switches him from out wide to a No.10 role back to a floating role before sticking him up top in desperation. He's substituted by the head coach in utter frustration as he hasn't had a shot on target let alone score) 

Eliasson (He didn't play last time and the coach might drop him into a left wing back role in yet another tactical reshuffle after 25 minutes of relentless Forest pressure. He ends up playing in 4 different positions before being substituted because he let the head coach down)

Diedhiou (If the coach starts him this time he might just be the match winner, the head coach knows it because he dreamt it last night. He starts up front on his own, with little service. The one goalbound header he has late on rebounds off the back of Vyner's head.

Post match, the head coach laments at the length of the grass, and saying that we deserved something from the game despite everyone else seeing a completely different game where once again we are totally outclassed and if only we had a midfielder who was quick thinking and could play that defence splitting pass before finishing up with the old chestnut "We go again at the weekend"

What a throughly unpleasant post.  Are we meant to find it funny?

Things are not going the right way for us at the moment but is there really the need to resort to this level of smug spitefulness?  Have a look at the thread about respect elsewhere on OTIB?  Johnson may be making mistakes, but he has tried to succeed and has always wanted the club to progress.  If ultimately he fails, or already has failed, then I don’t see the need to treat him as though he is the enemy.

Who knows the side or formation. With 20 players used . Players playing out of position . Certain player who IMO is very poor and seems undroppable must have something written in his contract. Not confident at all and expect a 3-0 drubbing unfortunately. Will struggle to watch it especially if I see what I saw on Sunday regarding players and positions.

Let's be honest. The body language, disinterest and lack of application from the players in the last two games suggest they probably dread being selected for the Forest game.

Johnson should ask Tim Sherwood to help him with this game.

As an aside: Irene was probably miffed when Robin Hood maid Marian.

22 minutes ago, Red7 said:

5-3-2 or 4-4-2

Maenpaa
Hunt - Williams - Kalas - Vyner - DaSilva
        Eliasson - Palmer - Rowe
                  Wells - Afobe

Hang on, hang on. You can't go having a midfield like that, we need our game controllers in there.

I long ago gave up trying to predict what 11 LJ will start with in any match. I mean who would  have expected 7 changes against the Owls? not that it made any difference.............:facepalm:

I suspect that Palmer may start but that’s my only guess.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I long ago gave up trying to predict what 11 LJ will start with in any match. I mean who would  have expected 7 changes against the Owls? not that it made any difference.............:facepalm:

Yeah I agree with that. I think Palmer is the Joker in the deck for LJ and he's played every other hand now.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was at the Senior Reds dinner when you asked LJ about our identity and style. I, along with everyone in the room, didnt understand his answer then, and I dont understand his thinking now.  Im pretty sure he still hasnt decided his team for Forest and is probably worried more about their squad than ours.

No idea about LJ's plans, but I'd try one of these two line-ups:

.......................Bentley

...Hunt...Baker...Kalas...Dasilva

...Pato...Nagy...Smith...Eliasson

.............Diédhiou....Afobe

..........................Bentley

...............Kalas...Benkovic...Baker

...O'Dowda..Massengo.Nagy..Palmer..Rowe

.................Diédhiou...Afobe

The first one more attacking-minded, the second one more balanced (despite neither of the defenders is fast and this could be a problem).

TBS, I think that form and confidence should count more than tactical aspect right now.

On 29/06/2020 at 16:00, Hampshire reds said:

5 or 6 changes has every week. just pull 11 out of the hat. be better than the way johnson and his coaches are doing it. 

Kill two birds with one stone and get Downsy to do it as part of the higher or lower game -  any number that comes out is in the team. Bring some real jeopardy to that game! 

We could have Messi & Ronaldo playing for us and Johnson would play them full backs.sorry he has not got a clue.with a decent manager we would been up their challenging this season instead of mid table were we will end up.Time for a change the club is going nowhere with this bloke in charge.

2 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

No idea about LJ's plans, but I'd try one of these two line-ups:

.......................Bentley

...Hunt...Baker...Kalas...Dasilva

...Pato...Nagy...Smith...Eliasson

.............Diédhiou....Afobe

..........................Bentley

...............Kalas...Benkovic...Baker

...O'Dowda..Massengo.Nagy..Palmer..Rowe

.................Diédhiou...Afobe

The first one more attacking-minded, the second one more balanced (despite neither of the defenders is fast and this could be a problem).

TBS, I think that form and confidence should count more than tactical aspect right now.

No place in the side for a 7 million pound striker that scored on Sunday? I think that's what Wells cost. 

I see afobe been rolled out, as a fans fav but obviously under instructions saying; "lets keep the belief and play with a smile" would be funny if LJ sat him on the bench  after deciding we dont need a winger in this game. would he be smiling then?

On 29/06/2020 at 18:14, SuperDziek said:

I’d expect him to set up to frustrate long suffering City fans Forest and hit them on the break with the aim of nicking a 0-1. So, Maenpaa, Kalas Williams Baker, Hunt JD, Nagy Smith Rowe, Paterson,  Diedieuh. 

On 29/06/2020 at 18:15, 1960maaan said:

Never been a fan of Johnson, but also never bothered with "Johnson out" either, no point while you knew his biggest supporter was the owner. I'm not sure that will be the case as Lansdown watches us capitulate more games and fade into lower mid table. 

But do'ya know what, I don't care. I'm done, finished. I still want us to win, but would be happy if this run continues and it gets LJ out. 
That is a terrible thing to say, and I realise that. But his constant shuffling of teams/formations/systems, and the baffling way a player can play one day , not be seen for months, then come back into the team again, like I said I'm done.

TBH for a few minutes Sunday, I thought the movement and link play was good, things looked promising. That was when Wells and Weimann were closer together, as the game got going our 4-3-3 was more like a 4-5-1, the amazing decision to play Afobe and Weimann wide shows he's just trying fit players in. I know AW has done a job wide, but a front 3 surely has to play closer together . Another thing that he has done in these two games, he starts with 2 real midfield players,  I'm not having the COD can do a job, but then he takes one off leaving Korey as the only recognised CMF in a team that has struggled in MF foryears. For Blackburn there wasn't even the option of Nagy on the bench. 

Back to the team, if he changes formation yet again I will be convinced he's lost the plot. 3 months to consider options, 7 changes for his second game and you already know there will be at least 3 more for Forest. I have a feeling he will go 3-5-2 as he want Wells central and he wanted better hold up play, which Benik would give him. That , I would hope, would signal to the Owner and board that he has lost his way and should be released. 
Not sure who is available, I've seen Hughton mentioned and I think he would be a good fit but more importantly a change now would give the new man a good chance to assess the squad.

Right, with that off my chest bring on Exeter Vs Northampton.

Was my big observation on Sunday too....started narrow, got wider and wider apart as the half drifted on.  When is LJ gonna learn that we need to be closer together - all over the pitch.

For tomorrow night, it’s really difficult to come up with a solution, because LJ has built no foundation for us to pick anything.  So, how he’s gonna do it, god only knows.

If this was the first game back I would still stand by my 4312 of a few weeks back....albeit different players, because of Pereira’s injury.  But we’ve used 21 players across a 4411, 442, 433, and back to a 442, so no real basis to pick anything likely.  I’ve no idea how he’s gonna get a new system into then, so I suggest he sticks (the novelty!) with 433, and quickly identifies the small plus points from Sunday.

So assuming that:

Maenpaa

Hunt / Kalas / Williams / Dasilva

Nagy / Smith (c) / Massengo

Weimann / Wells / Eliasson or Afobe

I think it would be unfair to play Palmer, if I were him, I’d tell LJ to “eff off”, I suspect a couple of others might say the same too.  That’s the problem when your selection policy has little / no principles.

I hope Lee and the squad come on here and read this as they have let us and themselves down over the last 7 games. After tonight's results if we can win our next 2 games we could be right back in it . However, we simply don't have the balls. We are hopeless. Sadly the Manager, players and the rest of the staff have failed to deliver.............they have bottled it and missed an opportunity of a lifetime. Embarrassing .

On 29/06/2020 at 16:15, David Brent said:

I’m hoping for 14 injuries which forces LJs team selection...and that we end up winning. Could be the start of another good run.

This is so true. I can't believe our statistical analysis team haven't picked this up. It was the same at Barnsley and is the same with us. If you don't give him choices we go on a winning run. Whether that's down to him or the players I have no idea. Maybe someone can come up with the data. Over to you @Davefevs

Pssst. Watkins.

Have a word with CoD. 

Find out what the dirt is. 

Then.

Guaranteed starter for the rest of your contract - even if you now weigh 20 stone, only have one leg, no arms or feet. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was my big observation on Sunday too....started narrow, got wider and wider apart as the half drifted on.  When is LJ gonna learn that we need to be closer together - all over the pitch.

For tomorrow night, it’s really difficult to come up with a solution, because LJ has built no foundation for us to pick anything.  So, how he’s gonna do it, god only knows.

If this was the first game back I would still stand by my 4312 of a few weeks back....albeit different players, because of Pereira’s injury.  But we’ve used 21 players across a 4411, 442, 433, and back to a 442, so no real basis to pick anything likely.  I’ve no idea how he’s gonna get a new system into then, so I suggest he sticks (the novelty!) with 433, and quickly identifies the small plus points from Sunday.

So assuming that:

Maenpaa

Hunt / Kalas / Williams / Dasilva

Nagy / Smith (c) / Massengo

Weimann / Wells / Eliasson or Afobe

I think it would be unfair to play Palmer, if I were him, I’d tell LJ to “eff off”, I suspect a couple of others might say the same too.  That’s the problem when your selection policy has little / no principles.

Yeah, no way Palmer starts. His confidence must be shot after not getting a kick on Sunday while full backs and wingers got a go in midfield ahead of him. Still he must be used to being humiliated by Johnson.

Apart from that i can't see LJ'S ego allowing him to start.  Imagine Kasey tearing it up and setting up a goal or two

Johnson even after everything would try to claim the credit.

Archived