IGNORED

The team for this Wednesday.

Roadrunner

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was my big observation on Sunday too....started narrow, got wider and wider apart as the half drifted on.  When is LJ gonna learn that we need to be closer together - all over the pitch.

For tomorrow night, it’s really difficult to come up with a solution, because LJ has built no foundation for us to pick anything.  So, how he’s gonna do it, god only knows.

If this was the first game back I would still stand by my 4312 of a few weeks back....albeit different players, because of Pereira’s injury.  But we’ve used 21 players across a 4411, 442, 433, and back to a 442, so no real basis to pick anything likely.  I’ve no idea how he’s gonna get a new system into then, so I suggest he sticks (the novelty!) with 433, and quickly identifies the small plus points from Sunday.

So assuming that:

Maenpaa

Hunt / Kalas / Williams / Dasilva

Nagy / Smith (c) / Massengo

Weimann / Wells / Eliasson or Afobe

I think it would be unfair to play Palmer, if I were him, I’d tell LJ to “eff off”, I suspect a couple of others might say the same too.  That’s the problem when your selection policy has little / no principles.

I think that side has a decent balance to it! I'd have a small concern about Williams at CB, pace and all that but perhaps the extra true CM (my hobby horse :P) would help to protect the defence a bit more, especially Williams.

Or would it be a deeper defensive line in  which case opposition y ability to target say Williams can be negated somewhat.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was my big observation on Sunday too....started narrow, got wider and wider apart as the half drifted on.  When is LJ gonna learn that we need to be closer together - all over the pitch.

For tomorrow night, it’s really difficult to come up with a solution, because LJ has built no foundation for us to pick anything.  So, how he’s gonna do it, god only knows.

If this was the first game back I would still stand by my 4312 of a few weeks back....albeit different players, because of Pereira’s injury.  But we’ve used 21 players across a 4411, 442, 433, and back to a 442, so no real basis to pick anything likely.  I’ve no idea how he’s gonna get a new system into then, so I suggest he sticks (the novelty!) with 433, and quickly identifies the small plus points from Sunday.

So assuming that:

Maenpaa

Hunt / Kalas / Williams / Dasilva

Nagy / Smith (c) / Massengo

Weimann / Wells / Eliasson or Afobe

I think it would be unfair to play Palmer, if I were him, I’d tell LJ to “eff off”, I suspect a couple of others might say the same too.  That’s the problem when your selection policy has little / no principles.

The irony is, we play a winger that cuts in and now a Centre forward out wide. I wouldn't mind the 4-3-3 if the link play worked, they could drift wide occasionally. But Sunday Afobe looked like a real old fashioned winger, chalk on the boots.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think that side has a decent balance to it! I'd have a small concern about Williams at CB, pace and all that but perhaps the extra true CM (my hobby horse :P) would help to protect the defence a bit more, especially Williams.

Or would it be a deeper defensive line in  which case opposition y ability to target say Williams can be negated somewhat.

It’s because Forest play one up, mainly Grabban. He’s a good striker, and although no slouch, his game isn’t to be on the shoulder all the time.  Willians has nouse, and I think he could handle Grabban, who loves a tussle.

Forest aren’t a physical midfield either....Watson their dirty player, but he’s not like Livermore.  Silva is a Neves type and I don’t know much about Brennan Johnson (David Johnson’s son) apart from he destroyed our u23s last season.  Ameobi and Lolley are two fine wide players.  I like them as a team, but I think the side I picked could cause them problems.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The irony is, we play a winger that cuts in and now a Centre forward out wide. I wouldn't mind the 4-3-3 if the link play worked, they could drift wide occasionally. But Sunday Afobe looked like a real old fashioned winger, chalk on the boots.

Dropped Elliason to play Afobi as a wide man. 

What’s wrong with this picture.

We were awful twice fielding effectively two different teams. 

The only time we don’t look horrible is in a 352 and a this point we have nothing to lose!!

On 29/06/2020 at 14:55, Roadrunner said:

What will he do, play Nahki and Benik down the middle with Kasey Palmer just behind. A start for Zak Vyner and Eliasson. Marley Watkins on the bench in case it goes wrong. PLay a 5,4,1 and try and hang on for a point, which would be an improvement.Will we have two players on the post when defending corners. After 7 changes on Sunday my guess is he will play the same starting line stating "as we played well up to their two goals." I will give the players my trust in them to do a job.See you all on Wednesday night.

Lottery balls 2.6.8.10 etc but not 45 

9 hours ago, Super said:

Anyone else think it's nailed on we'll win? LJ does tend to get a result when he is under pressure. Or is it wishful thinking?!

It's the hope that kills... 

The odd thing is though, that often when that win has come about, it has often grown and grown into notable winning runs unbeaten runs or high win/loss ratios. Certainly not such consistency of performance. At times he's been under massive pressure.

It won't happen but why not let's see:

Wigan 0-1 Bristol City

Bristol City 4-0 Huddersfield

Brentford 2-0 Bristol City

Preston 5-0 Bristol City

Bristol City 3-1 Wolves

Bristol City 2-1 QPR

Blackburn 1-1 Bristol City 

Bristol City 3-2 Barnsley

Brighton 0-1 Bristol City

In that run, Huddersfield were promoted, so were Brighton, we ultimately denied them the title and Wolves though midtable were in strong form before that must win. 

Last season. 

Set a foundation after the loss at Leeds:

Ipswich 2-3 Bristol City

Bristol City 1-1 Millwall

Birmingham 0-1 Bristol City

Bristol City 2-2 Norwich

Derby 1-1 Bristol City

Bristol City 1-1 Brentford

Couple of those draws were good, one in particular was frustrating, Millwall with their away record. Yet it kept us ticking over:

Bristol City 1-0 Rotherham

This was the unconvincing spark. 

Stoke 0-2 Bristol City

Bristol City 1-0 Huddersfield (FA Cup)

Bristol City 2-1 Bolton

Nottingham Forest 0-1 Bristol City

Bristol City 2-1 Bolton (FA Cup)

Bristol City 2-0 Swansea

Blackburn 0-1 Bristol City 

Bristol City 2-1 QPR

Yet there was still time for another strong albeit shorter run. 

Sheffield United 2-3 Bristol City

Middlesbrough 0-1 Bristol City

Bristol City 2-2 Wigan 

Bristol City 3-2 West Brom

3/4 sides at the top end in that! Should've held on vs Wigan too. 

Even this year:

Bristol City 3-0 Luton

Bristol City 0-4 Brentford

Wigan 0-2 Bristol City

Bristol City 1-0 Barnsley

Reading 0-1 Bristol City

QPR 0-1 Bristol City

Throw in loss v Birmingham but win very Derby, 5 wins in 6 or 6 in 8. Sort of run that'd get us deep into playoff hunt...

Yet this time feels different to me. Confidence feels shot, hope has drained. I really don't see it, LJ has run his race and the season, we're done in any case.

On 30/06/2020 at 00:29, Swede said:

I would not be surprised at this team;

Bentley (simply because Maenpaa's done nothing wrong and needs undermining)

Vyner (after lauding him as a makeshift midfielder, plays him at right back. Later on the head coach switches him to an unaccustomed midfield role believing his own hype and to completely bamboozle the opposition who are fooled for all of 10 seconds before sending him to play further forward after 80 minutes to try and get the 4 goals needed to get a draw)

Rowe ( because he needs to keep it tight and he didn't play last time. The coach will push him into midfield after 12 minutes of relentless Forest pressure which is all part of the head coach's tactical masterplan before switching him to a left wing back role and finally playing as a No.10 as he played there 10 years ago for Peterborough and might get a goal) 

Kalas (because he didn't play last time but might have improved)

Benkovic (because he didn't play last time either so couldn't have let the coach down. He is pushed into midfield after 33 minutes of relentless Forest pressure as the head coach believes he is actually a midfield player and why didn't anybody else play him there)

Watkins (because the coach can rely on him and he can swop with Vyner in another tactical reshuffle after 15 minutes of relentless Forest pressure to man mark Grabban to stop him getting his hat trick. He ends up playing up front after 88 minutes when it's too late and we're chasing the game and that is despite not having any shots on target)

Smith (despite the fact he has little influence anymore in games but he points well and loves collecting the nice easy passes. He ends up playing right back)

Nagy (Only because Massengo has played too many games)

Pato (He's playing against his former club so the head coach is heavily relying on him having the game of his career, so no pressure then. The head coach switches him from out wide to a No.10 role back to a floating role before sticking him up top in desperation. He's substituted by the head coach in utter frustration as he hasn't had a shot on target let alone score) 

Eliasson (He didn't play last time and the coach might drop him into a left wing back role in yet another tactical reshuffle after 25 minutes of relentless Forest pressure. He ends up playing in 4 different positions before being substituted because he let the head coach down)

Diedhiou (If the coach starts him this time he might just be the match winner, the head coach knows it because he dreamt it last night. He starts up front on his own, with little service. The one goalbound header he has late on rebounds off the back of Vyner's head.

Post match, the head coach laments at the length of the grass, and saying that we deserved something from the game despite everyone else seeing a completely different game where once again we are totally outclassed and if only we had a midfielder who was quick thinking and could play that defence splitting pass before finishing up with the old chestnut "We go again at the weekend"

Dear Mr Johnson

I just want to bring it to your attention that  there appears to be a mole in your camp.  I’ve just seen a post on otib, which is leaking notes on player selections for the Nottingham Forest match and some pre-written notes for the after-match presser and it seems to sum up the current situation perfectly., so it must be someone with insider knowledge..

I should add, if this turns out to be one of your coaches, I’d recommend you giving him a go in your role as soon as possible, as he makes far more f*****g sense than you do most weeks.

As most would like a 2 up top, Wells/Afobe with PALMER  in behind, expect Wells/Afobe to be benched and Palmer no-where near. With LJ citing that they picked up knocks/need a rest as Diedhiou is picked up top on his own.

Now I`m going to help you now LJ by giving you a tip; replace the entire midfield as they were non-existing on Sat, this includes Nag,Mass, pointy Smith and COD (I`m sure he wont publish the pics hes got) replace them with players who give a ****

Warning this may not make any difference to the result but we may give them a game.

p.s leave your laptop at home, watch the game and dont wait till they score to ATTACK

No doubt we'll be back to the bullshit about players he can "trust" and so we'll be left with a starting 11 of our weakest players.

Anyone else reckon he's only able to "trust" players that have less ability than he did during his playing days? It's somewhat striking that it's never our most talented players that are 'trusted'...

I’d like to see a 4-3-1-2

Maenpaa

Dasilva

Baker

Williams

Hunt

Paterson

Smith

Palmer

Watkins

Afobe

Wells

Keep the same back 5 to try to build some understanding there. Smith sitting deep with Pato and Watkins, Palmer in a creative role. Gives the option to form two banks of four when we don’t have the ball and good options for counter attacking.

But it won’t happen.

9 hours ago, phantom said:

Lose the next two and that is this season done 

Yep, even if we won our remaining 5 games after this week it wouldn't be enough. Even 2 draws this week, then 5 wins after that would be pushing our luck!

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yet this time feels different to me. Confidence feels shot, hope has drained. I really don't see it, LJ has run his race and the season, we're done in any case.

It feels like we need the football gods to intervene now. Maybe a dodgy red card tonight could give us the advantage over Forest and kick start our comeback. Then the Severn derby comes along and we out scrap the Welsh.

It's not a good sign that we're relying on some fortunate twist of fate to get us going...

On 30/06/2020 at 05:15, IAmNick said:

Put my thoughts down in a short video. Was going to put it in it's own thread but can't be bothered, might put it in the matchday one.

Think I have about as much chance as anyone else with the above prediction. Any comments or constructive discussion it can stimulate very much appreciated.

(Yes I know the time is wrong, I'm not going back to edit it.)

Bloody brilliant and its the best post of the season.

Think LJ will go 4-3-1-2.

Maenppa

Kalas         Williams          Baker          DaSilva

Naggy          Smith          O Dowda

Palmer

Afobe                  Wells

Kalas in at right back for a solid base. Naggy to come in to give us some legs & energy. Palmer for his creative spark. Quite like the look of that as well. Also gets Afobe & Wells closer. COYR 

Archived