IGNORED

Pemberton

glen humphries

4 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Can’t help but think lee jay should of kept John pemberton on the staff vastly experienced and the players seemed to like him , got a feeling lee saw John as a threat to him?

Not blaming Pemberton but the fact is he left at a point when we were on our appalling lost streak and his departure coincided with results improving. 

That might not be his fault but something really was not working in the dynamics of the team and, whatever the reasoning for that was, it was pushing us towards the drop zone. I am convinced that, had he not left when he did, we would have got relegated in 2016/2017 and both LJ and Pemberton would have left that summer anyway and now be distant memories.

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, I always thought that. 

Me too - Lee constantly saying he needs leaders, but not leaders likely to disagree with him.

Another point with the Wilbs interview- wilbs said that in a tactical sense Cotterill was on a level with Man City and Man U managers - LJ? IMO only can claim to be there!

Show me the engineer who got his knowledge from books but never got his hands dirty!

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Me too - Lee constantly saying he needs leaders, but not leaders likely to disagree with him.

Another point with the Wilbs interview- wilbs said that in a tactical sense Cotterill was on a level with Man City and Man U managers - LJ? IMO only can claim to be there!

Show me the engineer who got his knowledge from books but never got his hands dirty!

was very telling. Diplomacy at its best! :shutup::shutup:

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

No he didn't. He said if there was a conversation between the three managers, Cotts would be able to hold his own to discuss tactics, not that he was tactically on the same level as them..

I was never coached by 'Pembo' although a lot of people on this forum clearly were, based on the comments when he resigned (such as, 'the best coach we have', 'everyone knew their jobs' etc).

But you can see how there might have been issues with two people seemingly appointed to the same 'first team head coach' role.

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

No he didn't. He said if there was a conversation between the three managers, Cotts would be able to hold his own to discuss tactics, not that he was tactically on the same level as them..

Wheras LJ is above the level  !!    Didn't LJ say that Pep was picking his brain when they had their chat after the cup game. 

Even if that was true - which I doubt - why would you even say something as conceited as that and make yourself sound like the David Brent of football.  

"I'm a friend first and a boss second, probably an entertainer third"    You could hear LJ saying that ?

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I was never coached by 'Pembo' although a lot of people on this forum clearly were, based on the comments when he resigned (such as, 'the best coach we have', 'everyone knew their jobs' etc).

But you can see how there might have been issues with two people seemingly appointed to the same 'first team head coach' role.

Well Pembo was actually "coached" by LJ................................he was last seen disappearing under the Peter Carol team coach....with LJ seen hurrying back to his office just after Pembo "fell"

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

When results dip people start looking at individual decisions surrounding backroom staff when we have little idea who does what and if they're any good or not.

Sssh.

Just say Pembo was the best coach you ever had, otherwise the bigger boys might take your lunch money.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Wheras LJ is above the level  !!    Didn't LJ say that Pep was picking his brain when they had their chat after the cup game. 

Even if that was true - which I doubt - why would you even say something as conceited as that and make yourself sound like the David Brent of football.  

"I'm a friend first and a boss second, probably an entertainer third"    You could hear LJ saying that ?

Was pure cringe wasn’t it.

Even the 442 article....why would you even mention it....just setting yourself up for a fall.

It's fairly typical for someone relatively inexperienced in management to surround themselves with a management team of people they like but don't feel threatened by. The other priority was to surround himself with his people (ie coaches that he trusts and buy into what he says) with no hangover of the old regime -  I imagine it was a combination of both of those factors as to why Pemberton went.

It wouldn't be as conspicuous if LJ had bought in a more experienced head alongside McAllister/Holden - but it's fairly blatant what's happened when all of the other coaching staff are around LJ's age. I'm surprised Darren Way hasn't joined the coaching staff personally.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of now criticising every decision  LJ has ever made. Whilst I think it may well be time for him to move on its not fair to rubbish his entire tenure, there have been plenty of positives over the last few years and if he does depart in the near future he will be leaving the club in a far stronger position than he found it. 

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Worth saying, as far as I know, Pemberton hasn't had a job in the football league since he left us.

There might be a range of reasons for this but other clubs don't seem to feel there is a great coach waiting to be snapped up. 

I thought he went to Chesterfield?

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Worth saying, as far as I know, Pemberton hasn't had a job in the football league since he left us.

There might be a range of reasons for this but other clubs don't seem to feel there is a great coach waiting to be snapped up. 

He wanted a shot at management, remember him saying soon after.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And Kidderminster I think.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Indeed. He has two spells there and one at Kidderminster. But they were - and still are - in the conference now. Got relegated in 2017 or 2018.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He wanted a shot at management, remember him saying soon after.

And Kidderminster I think.

Sure but his first job was academy manager at Chesterfield 18 months after he left us.

31 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Cotterill has only had one 6 month stint at management before getting the boot again - going by many on here I’m assuming he’s waiting for Pep or Klopp to leave their current posistions

The best managers don’t surround themselves with yes men and certainly aren’t  threatened by them . I liked Pembo but he was never going to last long when LJ took over . He certainly had a bond with the Ashton Gate faithful 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

He's been manager of Kidderminster and currently Chesterfield since leaving City.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Cotterill has only had one 6 month stint at management before getting the boot again - going by many on here I’m assuming he’s waiting for Pep or Klopp to leave their current posistions

Was still being paid by us for a significant amount of time, and same when he left Birmingham 

Why would he consider taking another job and possibly work for less money then what he was making sat on his backside at home?

I make absolutely no claim to profound footballing knowledge but, results apart, I missed Cotts. My old seat was within spitting distance of the home dug out in the Grand Old Williams and his very loud comments were always entertaining – and sadly thin on bullshit. No wonder he went......

And if my memory serves me well, wasn’t it Pemberton rather than his glorious successor who turned us round and got us back to winning ways in the few games he had BLJ? Whatever happened to his future career, I think he was of much service to the City and deserved much better.

Archived