IGNORED

The I still believe in LJ thread!

REDOXO

Just now, Loco Rojo said:

Really? Is this thread needed? 

If people still want to support Lee then that's fine and up to them. No need to start the usual 'let's hunt Lee supporters' down and set up a thread to criticise their views.

We're all fans of the club.

I would be fascinated to hear anyone come up with a reason to keep lee jay , I’m all ears ( eyes).

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Really? Is this thread needed? 

If people still want to support Lee then that's fine and up to them. No need to start the usual 'let's hunt Lee supporters' down and set up a thread to criticise their views.

We're all fans of the club.

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

I would be fascinated to hear anyone come up with a reason to keep lee jay , I’m all ears ( eyes).

Yep!

Four years of progress - so maybe we could forgive the odd blip in extraordinary times.

Lee is central to a large project to keep building the club towards sustainability. We have a new stadium and will soon have a new training ground and the land adjacent to AG will be developed.

Huge numbers of developing players have been loaned out to play good level football and will increasingly be available for the first team squad. Patience is a virtue with such development.

Lee is a good frontman for City and speaks and behaves well, has developed a good infrastructure of medical and coaching staff - it ain't that broke and doesn't need fixing by exchanging it all for an unknown future that may not deliver all that people wish.

If you look back through the past 50 years or so, we are in a better position now than we have been for more than 80% of the time and there is no reason to believe that things will not continue to improve in the years ahead.

£millions have been raised in player sales and this has allowed further development of the playing squad.  Much of this is down to Lee and his ability to develop value in players. We currently have a good collection of young players who are almost ready to be in the first team. I would not be too disappointed if we played many of thses next season, even if it meant that we were not quite as competitive. Remember when Alan Dicks did the same thing - it worked out OK in the end.

I like Lee Johnson and accept that although he is not perfect, he is decent and honest.  I hope he stays and that he can put the mob back in their box because mob rule is no way to run a football club that is more likely to flourish with quiet improvement and development, aided by continuity.  All the great clubs have been pretty good at this most of the time and the ones that frequently chop and change managers usually come a cropper.  Time to chill and see what next season brings.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Four years of progress - so maybe we could forgive the odd blip in extraordinary times.

Lee is central to a large project to keep building the club towards sustainability. We have a new stadium and will soon have a new training ground and the land adjacent to AG will be developed.

Huge numbers of developing players have been loaned out to play good level football and will increasingly be available for the first team squad. Patience is a virtue with such development.

Lee is a good frontman for City and speaks and behaves well, has developed a good infrastructure of medical and coaching staff - it ain't that broke and doesn't need fixing by exchanging it all for an unknown future that may not deliver all that people wish.

If you look back through the past 50 years or so, we are in a better position now than we have been for more than 80% of the time and there is no reason to believe that things will not continue to improve in the years ahead.

£millions have been raised in player sales and this has allowed further development of the playing squad.  Much of this is down to Lee and his ability to develop value in players. We currently have a good collection of young players who are almost ready to be in the first team. I would not be too disappointed if we played many of thses next season, even if it meant that we were not quite as competitive. Remember when Alan Dicks did the same thing - it worked out OK in the end.

I like Lee Johnson and accept that although he is not perfect, he is decent and honest.  I hope he stays and that he can put the mob back in their box because mob rule is no way to run a football club that is more likely to flourish with quiet improvement and development, aided by continuity.  All the great clubs have been pretty good at this most of the time and the ones that frequently chop and change managers usually come a cropper.  Time to chill and see what next season brings.

Bat, good post but probably why we have only ever had a couple of years in the top flight, one statistic none of us can ignore.

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

A very sensible post and I agree with almost all of that to some degree. Personally, my gut feeling is that he's probably taken us as far as he can now and we need a change to get us to the next level.

It's difficult for us to know for sure because we only see the public side of his work, but I wonder whether Ashton's role is still working. Granted, he's made us money from player sales but we've bought in an awful lot of sub-standard players under his watch. I also don't want Ashton's role to prevent us from being able to bring in high quality replacement managers who'd refuse to work under such an arrangement. If Johnson goes, I hope Ashton's role isn't immune from the same scrutiny from the board. 

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I'll have a pint of what you're smoking mate. Pure delusion 

17 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Very reasonable arguments. Thank you. I disagree as I've said on numerous other threads on numerous other occasions over the past couple of years. I see the missing piece in the jigsaw as an experienced manager...which Lee is not. I see him as having reached his limits some time ago. But I appreciate that you don't see it that way, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain why.

The only thing I'd take issue with is the notion of the 'mob'. The 'mob' on here is a group of passionate and, in so far as I know a handful of them personally, very well informed supporters, all of whom think it's time to move on. The atmosphere at the Gate has been pretty docile through multiple poor runs and some very unexciting football. I think LJ has had a fair chance. 

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Nicely written.  Some bits I agree with.  But I’ve seen little to believe he’s learning from his mistakes and I think he’s on a slope which is going in the wrong direction. ??????

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well educated point of view! Nice to see someone coming across so well. 

No one wants us to be in this position and losing games (although some fans hope we lose so LJ gets the sack) which I think is diabolical! 

People in the right positions have faith in LJ and the long term plan there is, so we have to trust them and stick with LJ. 

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

"Lee is central to a large project...."

Er, yes. We cannot cope without Lee, and the whole shebang, sorry, "project," will collapse like a "Marlon" of cards, should Lee ever leave us.

No other coach could hope to have Bristol City 12th in the Championship. Never mind 8th!

It is Lee, or bust. Back to 1982. Well, League One, certainly. 

Don't do it, Steve. You know you, sorry, the "project," which is "large," is ****ed without Lee.

Lee is central to everything. We are nothing without Lee. So, I'm with Bat:

Johnson stays, Johnson in. Forever.

20 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

That's about as good an argument as one could put forward old boy. Did you mention his passion for the club? Also a valid shout.

I think the consensus is that the club could and should be doing even better given the structure in place.

I would honestly feel really bad for Johnson if he was fired. Even if he deserved the push, I reckon he's worked his socks off with the right intentions. 

It is nothing personal about Lee having to go.I would be very happy for him to succeed but, he frustrates me with his tactics, substitution and falling out with some very talented footballers because when he plays them out of position he cant understand why it dose not work. The buying and selling of players to many players and changes all the time. Is that down to him or MA or SL i do not know.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

A place for LJ supporters to convince us he must stay!

Another thread to try and drive division between City supporters.

Just what's needed when the year has been as sh!t as it could possibly be (dismissing anything football related).

He is the proverbial Marmite manager, love or hate him, he isn't going for at least another 7 matches, so why start another meaningless argument (dressed up as a 'discussion').

If all you have to worry about is if/when LJ is going to leave, I am envious of you. There sure are bigger fish to fry in most people's lives.

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's about as good an argument as one could put forward old boy. Did you mention his passion for the club? Also a valid shout.

I think the consensus is that the club could and should be doing even better given the structure in place.

I would honestly feel really bad for Johnson if he was fired. Even if he deserved the push, I reckon he's worked his socks off with the right intentions. 

LJ and me have two things in common then, as I would work my socks off, and be very very passionate, but I’m not good enough as a manager/coach either.
I won’t go into a tirade of why I believe he is just not good at the job, because many have said the same things.

But one major fact, the football being served up is absolute abysmal. 

I appreciate all those who still believe in LJ.

However, I am really very concerned that as this season looks like disappearing into a slide down the table.

But of even greater concern is that with only a few weeks gap until the beginning of 2020-21, that we will continue with miserable performances and results and find ourselves in a place that many have come to believe that we would not be again.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well done fella!  Nicely put. 

27 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

Another thread to try and drive division between City supporters.

Just what's needed when the year has been as sh!t as it could possibly be (dismissing anything football related).

He is the proverbial Marmite manager, love or hate him, he isn't going for at least another 7 matches, so why start another meaningless argument (dressed up as a 'discussion').

If all you have to worry about is if/when LJ is going to leave, I am envious of you. There sure are bigger fish to fry in most people's lives.

We have had a couple of outstanding posts and Several good responses. Then there is yours!!! 

Whilst I am now in the 'I do think its time for the club and Lee to part company' camp, I'm can't say with any conviction it'll be the right decision. Alan Dicks took a lot of stick from the fans over a good number of years before finally grabbing promotion after 9 years in the job and Alex Ferguson was in an almost impossible position and was hated by the majority of Utd fans before Mark Robins got him out of the shit by scoring the goal that enabled them to go on and win the FA Cup and the rest is history. Food for thought.

20 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Whilst I am now in the 'I do think its time for the club and Lee to part company' camp, I'm can't say with any conviction it'll be the right decision. Alan Dicks took a lot of stick from the fans over a good number of years before finally grabbing promotion after 9 years in the job and Alex Ferguson was in an almost impossible position and was hated by the majority of Utd fans before Mark Robins got him out of the shit by scoring the goal that enabled them to go on and win the FA Cup and the rest is history. Food for thought.

Good point.  Dicks looked absolutely dead and buried several times before the team that eventually got promotion began to take shape.  However expectations these days are higher, and fans even less patient than they were in 1970.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good point.  Dicks looked absolutely dead and buried several times before the team that eventually got promotion began to take shape.  However expectations these days are higher, and fans even less patient than they were in 1970.

Interesting point about patience. We had over 60 years outside the top division before 76 and 40 years since 1980. We are averaging well above 21000 a game and we are still coming on here. 

part of the problem I believe is as supporters we are a bit docile and too patient. 

LJ has taken very little stick In the ground when things have been very rough, people prefer to vent on here. 

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

And that is what it boils down to...... expectation and patience. Too much of one and too little of the other. But, that's how it is these days and all managers know it and are fully aware that they have only a short time to bring success in the way of promotion or winning a cup or else it's curtains. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A very sensible post and I agree with almost all of that to some degree. Personally, my gut feeling is that he's probably taken us as far as he can now and we need a change to get us to the next level.

It's difficult for us to know for sure because we only see the public side of his work, but I wonder whether Ashton's role is still working. Granted, he's made us money from player sales but we've bought in an awful lot of sub-standard players under his watch. I also don't want Ashton's role to prevent us from being able to bring in high quality replacement managers who'd refuse to work under such an arrangement. If Johnson goes, I hope Ashton's role isn't immune from the same scrutiny from the board. 

Agree with you on Ashton. Our outgoing’s and the subsequent profits made on certain players is one to be applauded, for a club that has had a long history of never seemingly getting top money for our player’s we have certainly  improved in that area. The Webster transfer for example was easily the best single bit of business in the clubs history.

The incoming signings however have in the most part been hugely questionable, whilst on paper looking good the reality has been not so good. Is that Ashton’s fault or is that the coaching staff’s fault? The jury is out on that one for me but when the bullet is pulled on LJ I cannot help but feel Ashton should do the right thing and walk away aswell. If we want a Chris Hughton type of manager i think we have to be very careful how we sell the club to them. These managers that have been there and done it before in this division will have a plan of action already and i think it’s about time we put some trust and faith in individuals that have got Championship promotions on their CV’s.

The only reason I can think of that he should stay is his amazing gift of the use of the English language. Each week he produces a combination of words never before used. It’s like listening to Stanley Unwin mixed with Harry Worth with a dash of Donald Trump thrown in for good measure 

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Mob rule is the new diplomacy.

Have you not been watching the news lately?

20 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Interesting point about patience. We had over 60 years outside the top division before 76 and 40 years since 1980. We are averaging well above 21000 a game and we are still coming on here. 

part of the problem I believe is as supporters we are a bit docile and too patient. 

LJ has taken very little stick In the ground when things have been very rough, people prefer to vent on here. 

As one who watched City under AD, I cannot ever remember him changing the team about as much as LJ and that is what frustrates the fans. What is his best team. Does he know or is he The Mad Professor, constantly experimenting to find the solution. Yes we booed Dicks but he never went on the streaks Johnson does. Dicks did not criticise his players. HD did not give him a crock of gold to buy players. Patient fans ?   Yes we are patient but that is due to our forever Div 2 and 3 background which we find hard to break away from.

Archived