I believe that wedded bliss negates the need to be undressed
I believe that God does not endorse TV evangelists
I believe in love surviving death into eternity
I believe in Karma what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love until you've been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye

But, no, I don't believe in Lee. 

I was born in Glastonbury and can set your mind at rest......Lee does exist and you can believe in him.  

3 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I agree that a team will always work better than a bunch of individuals - however talented.  The trouble is that you have then sought to hang the blame on Lee Johnson for all the problems that are currently visible in the teams that he selects and puts on the pitch to entertain us.  In reality there are always going to be events beyond his control. How could he have known that his best defender and star goalkeeper would be out of form at a critical time of the season?  How could he know that perfectly capable players would then find it difficult to make simple 10 yard passes in matches?  Williams supposedly showed great leadership before the game and then arguably was largely responsible for two goals being conceded.  As soon as the players cross the white line the manager loses a huge amount of control.  Imagine if we would still have had the Brownhill from last Autumn or Webster in defence - I'm sure that lee would not have wished to sell these players. Maybe he had no choice.  

None of us really know what goes on behind the scene. It is always tempting to sack a manager and to change everything. But destroying things is always easier than building something to replace what has been changed. Look at the anarchists in the US - they have destroyed, burned and looted and people have been killed, but they are unable to put anything in its place because the vision was on pulling down what they did not like before realising that they really have nothing to put in its place.  The ramifications of changing Lee would be that there may have to be changes in all the backroom staff and many of the players might have to be changed in order to fit the vision of the new man.  We might get the best coach available, Sean O'D was meant to be such a man - how did that work out?  Lee is more than just a head coach and his influence stretches beyond just the first team.

I suggest that we simply support Lee and every player to the maximum of our ability because everything would be easier for the whole team if we all remain positive.

I never want my team to lose and even with my rose tinted glasses on you can’t ignore the groan around the gate when the text arrives with LJ’s tombola team  announcement!

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

I never want my team to lose and even with my rose tinted glasses on you can’t ignore the groan around the gate when the text arrives with LJ’s tombola team  announcement!

In the years that I have followed City, there have been many times when the team selection has seemed strange, but we do not know about form and injuries, knocks and personal problems within the squad or how the backroom team have analysed the opposition.  No manager is perfect but there is nothing wrong with Lee that a few wins wouldn't put right. He has had similar losing runs in the past and when that happens the fans start to call for his head.  When the wins start coming everything dies down until the next time.  Most managerial careers end in a sacking and I have always thought that the people concerned may have improved things given a little more time.  Mind you, I was glad when Pulis went!  Lee may not be Triffic or 'Ard like Pulis, but he is clearly a decent, intelligent and thoughtful manager who can spot and develop playing talent.  I can put up with some of his apparent faults whilst he continues to learn and improve.  The project is long term and it would help if the thinking and staff were long term.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

I get the impression that discussions for out current project may have started many years ago. The Johnson connection has clearly been key in decision making on matters concerning football development.  Our squad has improved and the standards demanded by our fans have also been ramped up in recent years.  I do not think that we are serious promotion candidates this season and we still need some key influential players.  Trading players post Covid may be very difficult and we will need to see how FFP changes impact upon spending decisions. Steve has already committed to huge expenditure in our infrastructure and this may mean that less is available for buying players.  The long term prize is a structure that generates enough income to keep the whole sporting edifice funded for years to come. As I said before, all we should do is provide positive support and keep buying season tickets and pies!!

All we should do is; say and do what we think, not what we are supposed to think.

We will cash in on any player that will give us a few bucks, maybe loan in/buy cheap players for the future, a future that will never come because those players will either be sold or ruined by our manager. So what is the point in building anything if we insist on knocking it down every season and then "going again"

Let Lee develop the kids but he is not a first team manager he just takes us around and back to where we started from and cannot handle exp players

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

In the years that I have followed City, there have been many times when the team selection has seemed strange, but we do not know about form and injuries, knocks and personal problems within the squad or how the backroom team have analysed the opposition.  No manager is perfect but there is nothing wrong with Lee that a few wins wouldn't put right. He has had similar losing runs in the past and when that happens the fans start to call for his head.  When the wins start coming everything dies down until the next time.  Most managerial careers end in a sacking and I have always thought that the people concerned may have improved things given a little more time.  Mind you, I was glad when Pulis went!  Lee may not be Triffic or 'Ard like Pulis, but he is clearly a decent, intelligent and thoughtful manager who can spot and develop playing talent.  I can put up with some of his apparent faults whilst he continues to learn and improve.  The project is long term and it would help if the thinking and staff were long term.

The long term got lost after a fairly good first two years and the cup run.

Since then we have seen a total shambles in team selection, substitution and tactics - home form has been total crap in all but a few games since then and don’t start me on the latest cup disgrace!
Body language, attitude and the obsession with the 4th official all demonstrate he is not the man for the job!

50 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:
I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands
I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you
I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do
I believe that beauty magazines promote low self esteem
I believe I'm loved when I'm completely by myself alone
I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality
I believe that trust is more important than monogamy
I believe that your most attractive features are your heart and soul
I believe that family is worth more than money or gold
I believe the struggle for financial freedom isn't fair
I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires
I believe forgiveness is the key to your unhappiness
I believe that wedded bliss negates the need to be undressed
I believe that God does not endorse TV evangelists
I believe in love surviving death into eternity

But, no, I don't believe in Lee. 

Third belief! You’ve experience the local KFC and run out of toilet paper then!

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

All we should do is; say and do what we think, not what we are supposed to think.

We will cash in on any player that will give us a few bucks, maybe loan in/buy cheap players for the future, a future that will never come because those players will either be sold or ruined by our manager. So what is the point in building anything if we insist on knocking it down every season and then "going again"

Let Lee develop the kids but he is not a first team manager he just takes us around and back to where we started from and cannot handle exp players

There will come a time when the infrastructure is built and paid for and starts to produce income that can be invested back into the sporting clubs. Sustainability is the name of the game.  I would not be surprised if Steve continued to prime the pumps for a year or so after that happens.  That would allow us to better compete in the transfer markets and stand a better chance of both hanging on to our best players and even winning promotion.  If we develop our own players as well, then that is the jackpot.  It is a long term project and we all need to be patient for a while longer. I hope I live to see the promised land, although I have some doubts, I will go on supporting enthusiastically.

9 minutes ago, dave36 said:

The long term got lost after a fairly good first two years and the cup run.

Since then we have seen a total shambles in team selection, substitution and tactics - home form has been total crap in all but a few games since then and don’t start me on the latest cup disgrace!
Body language, attitude and the obsession with the 4th official all demonstrate he is not the man for the job!

We are wrong if we expect perfection because it will never come. We are light years ahead of when S O'D was here and currently living through unprecedented difficulties. None of this is easy for club, management player or fans so we just have to stick together and all be as positive as possible. We will look back in a few years time and see these times as a mere blip in our progress towards the Premier League.

8 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We are wrong if we expect perfection because it will never come. We are light years ahead of when S O'D was here and currently living through unprecedented difficulties. None of this is easy for club, management player or fans so we just have to stick together and all be as positive as possible. We will look back in a few years time and see these times as a mere blip in our progress towards the Premier League.

We were right up Wolves backside at the top of this div not so long ago, what happened? they are challenging for Europe we are still here, even Cardiff/Swansea made the jump up so what exactly is stopping us? i.m.o its our manager nothing else we have the ground and a chairman with a few quid, so why are we always the "nearly" club.

2 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

We were right up Wolves backside at the top of this div not so long ago, what happened? they are challenging for Europe we are still here, even Cardiff/Swansea made the jump up so what exactly is stopping us? i.m.o its our manager nothing else we have the ground and a chairman with a few quid, so why are we always the "nearly" club.

Frankly we were just not good enough.  The Championship is a hugely difficult league where some clubs have vast parachute payments and squads with Premier Leage experience and others can only pay less than half the wages and have to recruit from lower leagues and players who have failed to make the grade in other leagues.  Lee has developed our own young players, loan players and players we have bought in.  This is not a level playing field and the long term project is to build a self sustaining club by building income streams from the infrastructure.  The plans are well advanced and we have to wait until everything is in place until we can better compete against richer clubs.

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You don't run a shop in the High Street, or the Chalice Well Gardens shop, selling, er, crystals and bits of stone that "heal" and beads that sort yer chakras out and shit? 

Sadly not - I am not that spiritual, having not lived in Glastonbury for 67 years.

21 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Four years of progress - so maybe we could forgive the odd blip in extraordinary times.

Lee is central to a large project to keep building the club towards sustainability. We have a new stadium and will soon have a new training ground and the land adjacent to AG will be developed.

Huge numbers of developing players have been loaned out to play good level football and will increasingly be available for the first team squad. Patience is a virtue with such development.

Lee is a good frontman for City and speaks and behaves well, has developed a good infrastructure of medical and coaching staff - it ain't that broke and doesn't need fixing by exchanging it all for an unknown future that may not deliver all that people wish.

If you look back through the past 50 years or so, we are in a better position now than we have been for more than 80% of the time and there is no reason to believe that things will not continue to improve in the years ahead.

£millions have been raised in player sales and this has allowed further development of the playing squad.  Much of this is down to Lee and his ability to develop value in players. We currently have a good collection of young players who are almost ready to be in the first team. I would not be too disappointed if we played many of thses next season, even if it meant that we were not quite as competitive. Remember when Alan Dicks did the same thing - it worked out OK in the end.

I like Lee Johnson and accept that although he is not perfect, he is decent and honest.  I hope he stays and that he can put the mob back in their box because mob rule is no way to run a football club that is more likely to flourish with quiet improvement and development, aided by continuity.  All the great clubs have been pretty good at this most of the time and the ones that frequently chop and change managers usually come a cropper.  Time to chill and see what next season brings.

And yet arguably the most important thing of all – good-quality football – is sadly missing.

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

And yet arguably the most important thing of all – good-quality football – is sadly missing.

You mean it is missing now. We have had some good patches during Lee's time and I feel sure that we will have more.  These are very strange times and they will pass.  We will have golden days in the future.  How long?  Who can say, we might not even be able to go to Ashton Gate next year and that will further dent revenues. Clubs with parachute payments will have an even bigger advantage.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You mean it is missing now. We have had some good patches during Lee's time and I feel sure that we will have more.  These are very strange times and they will pass.  We will have golden days in the future.  How long?  Who can say, we might not even be able to go to Ashton Gate next year and that will further dent revenues. Clubs with parachute payments will have an even bigger advantage.

No disrespect but I don't think Lee can use the strange times surrounding the pandemic as an excuse. It appears to me that he has absolutely no idea how to get the best out of his bloated squad, and hasn't done for well over a year. There appears to be no consistency or shape to his tactics and playing style. He comes across like a manager who's lost the plot. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No disrespect but I don't think Lee can use the strange times surrounding the pandemic as an excuse. It appears to me that he has absolutely no idea how to get the best out of his bloated squad, and hasn't done for well over a year. There appears to be no consistency or shape to his tactics and playing style. He comes across like a manager who's lost the plot. 

I think he comes across as a manager who lost Webster and thought he had Kalas and then lost both - one to transfer and the other to injury.  He lost shape in the team by player sales and has not yet been able to replace them. He lost Afobe and Smith for great chunks of the season and they are playing their way back.  Things were not easy before Covid. It may take longer to sort things out in the aftermath of the financial effects.

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Frankly we were just not good enough.  The Championship is a hugely difficult league where some clubs have vast parachute payments and squads with Premier Leage experience and others can only pay less than half the wages and have to recruit from lower leagues and players who have failed to make the grade in other leagues.  Lee has developed our own young players, loan players and players we have bought in.  This is not a level playing field and the long term project is to build a self sustaining club by building income streams from the infrastructure.  The plans are well advanced and we have to wait until everything is in place until we can better compete against richer clubs.

Sorry but how has Lee developed loan players when the last 2 he brought in for instance Benkovic has only played 5 games and Henrikson only 4 games? Lee has developed our own young players? hows that then? by sending them to other clubs to get match game time, while loaning in worse players? that good management is it?

The Project/5 pillars/sustaining club etc, etc only works if you have a manager that can manage players and not waste millions on bucket loads of players your either are not going to play or play very little.

Maybe when you say wait till everything is in place you mean a decent manager as well?

2 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Sorry but how has Lee developed loan players when the last 2 he brought in for instance Benkovic has only played 5 games and Henrikson only 4 games? Lee has developed our own young players? hows that then? by sending them to other clubs to get match game time, while loaning in worse players? that good management is it?

The Project/5 pillars/sustaining club etc, etc only works if you have a manager that can manage players and not waste millions on bucket loads of players your either are not going to play or play very little.

Maybe when you say wait till everything is in place you mean a decent manager as well?

Tammy did OK. Lloyd and the whole raft of young players starring in league 1 teams last year.  A whole new generation are poised to challenge.  Even Brownhill was a young player and thrived under Lee. Credit where it is due please.

I think he comes across as a manager who lost Webster and thought he had Kalas and then lost both - one to transfer and the other to injury.  He lost shape in the team by player sales and has not yet been able to replace them. He lost Afobe and Smith for great chunks of the season and they are playing their way back.  Things were not easy before Covid. It may take longer to sort things out in the aftermath of the financial effects.

Were we not in fact higher up the league without Kalas/Smith and Afobe, and he did have a chance to replace them anyway he chose 2 loanees who played 4 and 5 games each respectively. Covid effects everyone/all clubs and is not relevant.

Likely to lose Afobe and Smith soon anyway, dont blame them.... Afobe a winger...what a waste...WTF Lee?

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Were we not in fact higher up the league without Kalas/Smith and Afobe, and he did have a chance to replace them anyway he chose 2 loanees who played 4 and 5 games each respectively. Covid effects everyone/all clubs and is not relevant.

Likely to lose Afobe and Smith soon anyway, dont blame them.... Afobe a winger...what a waste...WTF Lee?

I think Lee has had a difficult season with injuries and late departures. That is how I see it from the Dolman - you don't have to agree. I doubt if Lee could do anything that would impress you whatever he did, apart from leave.  Shall we just agree to differ?

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Tammy did OK. Lloyd and the whole raft of young players starring in league 1 teams last year.  A whole new generation are poised to challenge.  Even Brownhill was a young player and thrived under Lee. Credit where it is due please.

Yes quite a few City Players now plying their trade in the prem and a few more could join them with Leeds/Fulham or Cardiff even and thats got us where exactly...oh yes mid table championship

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

I think Lee has had a difficult season with injuries and late departures. That is how I see it from the Dolman - you don't have to agree. I doubt if Lee could do anything that would impress you whatever he did, apart from leave.  Shall we just agree to differ?

yes spot on, will buy a ST when hes gone

Just now, glos old boy said:

yes spot on, will buy a ST when hes gone

That is probably the difference between us. I would always buy my season ticket every year and will do so as long as I can still get to AG. Over the years I have watched them in every division and know that we are currently in reasonable nick even if we don't go up. Sometime in the next few years we will win promotion and I hope to live to see it.

That is probably the difference between us. I would always buy my season ticket every year and will do so as long as I can still get to AG. Over the years I have watched them in every division and know that we are currently in reasonable nick even if we don't go up. Sometime in the next few years we will win promotion and I hope to live to see it.

Over the years I to have watched my club in every division and been to most away grounds, bought a season ticket for the Dolman for 1st 2 years after it was built and never missed a game back in late 60`s early seventies, when footie was proper. Unfortunately it is now far removed from those days and truly great Saturdays at The Match.

We are now part of something else and have a manager who makes it up as he goes along, I hope you get to see another top div promo celebration on the pitch though it will be a while yet

9 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Over the years I to have watched my club in every division and been to most away grounds, bought a season ticket for the Dolman for 1st 2 years after it was built and never missed a game back in late 60`s early seventies, when footie was proper. Unfortunately it is now far removed from those days and truly great Saturdays at The Match.

We are now part of something else and have a manager who makes it up as he goes along, I hope you get to see another top div promo celebration on the pitch though it will be a while yet

It sound like our paths have probably crossed over the years.  I still get the buzz and believe that the glass is half full and not half empty.  However you follow City, I wish you well.

Archived