IGNORED

The I still believe in LJ thread!

REDOXO

56 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We have had a couple of outstanding posts and Several good responses. Then there is yours!!! 

Yawn. 

Will watch with amusement as City take to the field next season with LJ at the helm still. 

Hate him, slate me - I couldn't care less. 

1 hour ago, Abingdon Red said:

I thought one of the ideas behind 'the project' was that it would continue unaffected by a managerial change - essentially a new appointment would have to fit existing working arrangements, rather than require the standard restructure to fit their demands.

That is true, following the Swansea model supposedly.

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Four years of progress - so maybe we could forgive the odd blip in extraordinary times.

Lee is central to a large project to keep building the club towards sustainability. We have a new stadium and will soon have a new training ground and the land adjacent to AG will be developed.

Huge numbers of developing players have been loaned out to play good level football and will increasingly be available for the first team squad. Patience is a virtue with such development.

Lee is a good frontman for City and speaks and behaves well, has developed a good infrastructure of medical and coaching staff - it ain't that broke and doesn't need fixing by exchanging it all for an unknown future that may not deliver all that people wish.

If you look back through the past 50 years or so, we are in a better position now than we have been for more than 80% of the time and there is no reason to believe that things will not continue to improve in the years ahead.

£millions have been raised in player sales and this has allowed further development of the playing squad.  Much of this is down to Lee and his ability to develop value in players. We currently have a good collection of young players who are almost ready to be in the first team. I would not be too disappointed if we played many of thses next season, even if it meant that we were not quite as competitive. Remember when Alan Dicks did the same thing - it worked out OK in the end.

I like Lee Johnson and accept that although he is not perfect, he is decent and honest.  I hope he stays and that he can put the mob back in their box because mob rule is no way to run a football club that is more likely to flourish with quiet improvement and development, aided by continuity.  All the great clubs have been pretty good at this most of the time and the ones that frequently chop and change managers usually come a cropper.  Time to chill and see what next season brings.

Terrific post whatever your views on LJ, and big respect for putting yourself  out there to be shot at.

Four years of progress - so maybe we could forgive the odd blip in extraordinary times.

Lee is central to a large project to keep building the club towards sustainability. We have a new stadium and will soon have a new training ground and the land adjacent to AG will be developed.

Huge numbers of developing players have been loaned out to play good level football and will increasingly be available for the first team squad. Patience is a virtue with such development.

Lee is a good frontman for City and speaks and behaves well, has developed a good infrastructure of medical and coaching staff - it ain't that broke and doesn't need fixing by exchanging it all for an unknown future that may not deliver all that people wish.

If you look back through the past 50 years or so, we are in a better position now than we have been for more than 80% of the time and there is no reason to believe that things will not continue to improve in the years ahead.

£millions have been raised in player sales and this has allowed further development of the playing squad.  Much of this is down to Lee and his ability to develop value in players. We currently have a good collection of young players who are almost ready to be in the first team. I would not be too disappointed if we played many of thses next season, even if it meant that we were not quite as competitive. Remember when Alan Dicks did the same thing - it worked out OK in the end.

I like Lee Johnson and accept that although he is not perfect, he is decent and honest.  I hope he stays and that he can put the mob back in their box because mob rule is no way to run a football club that is more likely to flourish with quiet improvement and development, aided by continuity.  All the great clubs have been pretty good at this most of the time and the ones that frequently chop and change managers usually come a cropper.  Time to chill and see what next season brings.

Thanks for coming on and explaining yourself, Lee. 
I just dont understand how you saw Sunday as an improvement. 
Sitting in the Dolman as i do i would like to have said you had the sun in your eyes, but i know this to not be true. 
Dark glasses on? No. 
Just stubborn then. Stubbornness thats going to ( eventually ) leave you without employment, i hope. 

The logic in keeping him is simply the cost of sacking, plus the uncertainty around next season. Quite a chance that attendances will be Capped at 10%-25% of capacity, risk of breaks with further outbreaks, working on a reduced budget, limited scope for signings, so there is a certain logic in stability, and not making an un-necessary change at the top.

1 hour ago, CiderCraig said:

Another thread to try and drive division between City supporters.

Just what's needed when the year has been as sh!t as it could possibly be (dismissing anything football related).

He is the proverbial Marmite manager, love or hate him, he isn't going for at least another 7 matches, so why start another meaningless argument (dressed up as a 'discussion').

If all you have to worry about is if/when LJ is going to leave, I am envious of you. There sure are bigger fish to fry in most people's lives.

You seem to be ignoring all the "all you Happy Clapper" threads

Can't agree, he's a fraud.

Behaves well yes but he doesn't speak well, he talks nonsense. He had many for a long time drooling over how well he "speaks" but when you think about what he says it's just unadulterated drivel.

We are a football club that has spent an extraordinary amount of money on a huge squad of players about to finish mid-table.

3 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Good evening Lee........

Congratulations on an highly articulate outburst.

It is not an "odd blip". It's a run of results that is finally catching up with the poor underlying performances that have been on show for the entirety of this season as well as much of 2018/19. Even when we won 9 in a row in Feb 2019 we didn't look convincing. We were top of the form table but losing out on nearly all indicative metrics other than the score. That run was your "odd blip". The "extraordinary" times that we are experiencing have affected all clubs, and yet it is Bristol City that has emerged in exactly the same shape as it was pre-lockdown.

If the whole project hinges on one man then it's a poor project. He could be hit by a bus tomorrow and the whole house of cards could fall down if that's the case. Any good project has contingencies built in and can survive the loss of on key man.

Loans and development are a club-wide issue. Tinnion and the other staff do a huge amount of work here and may well stick around in a post-LJ world.

I disagree that he speaks well. He speaks a lot, but I don't think he speaks well. There is too much jargon, bluster, and repetition in his interviews. We've got entire threads based around the weird and unintelligible phrases he comes out with. His metaphors are mixed more thoroughly than any cocktail and he contradicts himself with every other breath. He doesn't even realise that the defence of Troy ultimately failed.

The points regarding the other staff are moot, any new manager can pick or choose who stays or goes, or can bring in their own men (or women).

Agreed. Apart from the last part. If you analyse the way the team have played in recent months there is all the reason to believe that things will not continue to improve unless a change is made.

Agreed.

I'd love nothing more than for us to succeed under LJ. An ex-player and son of a former manager is just the kind of person I want us to succeed under. I have defended him before on the basis that although we've had bad runs you could see at the time what the plan was, and our underlying performances were still good. That is not true at this moment in time. IMO he has run out of luck, run out of ideas, and thus many have run out of patience. Personally I think he's on his third life here at Bristol City. I know the grass is often greener and we cannot be sure of how any new appointment would fare, however, I think it is time for a change.

Kudos to you for sticking your hand up and defending him. I've done that before and it's not easy. Respectfully I disagree with most of what you are saying.

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Kudos to you for sticking your hand up and defending him. I've done that before and it's not easy. Respectfully I disagree with most of what you are saying.

I wanted to write that several times today. But I was too lazy. Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I wanted to write that several times today. But I was too lazy. Cheers!

Man, I'm tired of explaining it now. For a long time I have been LJ in. On appointment; LJ in. Preston 5-0; I was LJ in. Record losing run; LJ in. Right now though, no. Change is needed.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Can't agree, he's a fraud.

Behaves well yes but he doesn't speak well, he talks nonsense. He had many for a long time drooling over how well he "speaks" but when you think about what he says it's just unadulterated drivel.

We are a football club that has spent an extraordinary amount of money on a huge squad of players about to finish mid-table.

Brilliant post.

1 hour ago, CiderCraig said:

Yawn. 

Will watch with amusement as City take to the field next season with LJ at the helm still. 

Hate him, slate me - I couldn't care less. 

You couldn’t care less And yet you post. Now that’s amusing. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good point.  Dicks looked absolutely dead and buried several times before the team that eventually got promotion began to take shape.  However expectations these days are higher, and fans even less patient than they were in 1970.

Alan dicks also didn’t have the funds lj has been given 

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair play to @Bat Fastardfor being the only one to stick their head above the parapet. Respect Sir. 

Is it a surprise that people are hesitant?

I posted that what Afobe had done when wide "wasn't that bad" and explained why and was almost instantly met with an aggressive response.

@Bat Fastard has articulated some very good points, of which I mostly agree with.

3 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

And that is what it boils down to...... expectation and patience. Too much of one and too little of the other. But, that's how it is these days and all managers know it and are fully aware that they have only a short time to bring success in the way of promotion or winning a cup or else it's curtains. 

He’s been here 4 and a half years!!!!!  Not just a few months. That’s plenty long enough to reasonably expect some settled patterns of play and a formation that produces some excitement now and again. There aren’t many saying he should be sacked because he hasn’t got us promoted, more so because his football is dire.

If he stays in the job 30 or 40 years years by the law of averages he’ll probably get it right eventually but I’m 46 so I’d prefer we didn’t give him  that sort of time.

54 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Is it a surprise that people are hesitant?

I posted that what Afobe had done when wide "wasn't that bad" and explained why and was almost instantly met with an aggressive response.

@Bat Fastard has articulated some very good points, of which I mostly agree with.

Hey James. I respect your and Bat Fastards right to hold your opinion. I may not agree but you have every right to articulate them.

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Hey James. I respect your and Bat Fastards right to hold your opinion. I may not agree but you have every right to articulate them.

Completely agree with you there, and total respect to them for having the strength of their convictions and bottle to stick their heads above the parapet, when their man is pissing so many people off

This isn’t a dig, but they seem be in a group of ever dwindling numbers, though they’re quite clearly convinced that LJ is the man for the job.

If SL doesn’t pull the trigger soon, I think we’ll have to ask them where they get their optimism from, so the rest of us can all get stocked up, because it’s going to be mighty painful being a City fan otherwise

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

My post wasn't intended as a dig Ska.

The initial line was meant to be a genuine question, rather that one with any tension behind it.

I respect your opinions as you generally tend to be quite fair and have some valid reasoning, though as you say, we may not necessarily agree.

@milo1111

Dire is a bit harsh but I basically agree with your post- settled patterns of play, some excitement. I'd also add we lack cohesion, fluidity, stability, control IMO.

In general, was pro Lee Johnson last couple of years, not wildly but good enough for most of the time- not always of course, but this start after the resumption has convinced me that his time has come.

I've long had concerns about some individual aspects:

• Churn of squad- sheer numbers in and out cannot be good. I know modern game more short-termist but come on! How can a squad grow, with cohesion, harmony, spirit that you need to progress.
  • Man management of players acquired from a higher level than he himself played at. Too many to list.
  • Man management of senior players. A number to list.
  • Tactics- Not so much the out-thinking the opposition thing that he gets on here, but all too often a couple of years ago we would get outnumbered centrally when he played 4-4-2 with wingers- see Leeds home 2017, they did a job on us, 2 early goals and an overall 3-0. See Preston at home a month on. He a lot of the time and this is purely a personal gripe of mine, seems unable or unwilling to grasp that 2 in CM or an uneven CM 3, say 2 CMs and Palmer/Paterson/O'Dowda in there can get outmaneuvered, outnumbered, outpassed etc. As more teams shift to a genuine 3 in CM at this level and as the centre of the pitch becomes increasingly important, it's like groundhog day- happens every other week, maybe more- certainly feels like it!

I'm sure there's more, just off the top of my head- reluctantly though I think a change is needed...one key reason is that he doesn't bloody learn!! If this was stuff I was listing from 2 years back and there were tangible and marked signs of progress in these areas and more, I'd be less concerned. However the man management doesn't seem to improve much, the tactics don't necessarily evolve and certainly not for the better in any case, churn of squad seems a bit lower but for how much longer?

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I appreciate all those who still believe in LJ.

However, I am really very concerned that as this season looks like disappearing into a slide down the table.

But of even greater concern is that with only a few weeks gap until the beginning of 2020-21, that we will continue with miserable performances and results and find ourselves in a place that many have come to believe that we would not be again.

Exactly, performances have been going backwards for the last couple of seasons now.

I see no signs of development on the pitch. We haven’t progressed this year and the target was the playoffs. 

The pain of 2 defeats and another winless streak will ease in time and more fans will tend to sit on the fence or be happier to "go again" just like our inept manager. Facts are he is still here and things will not change until SL changes it.

This current "storm in a tea cup" by fans will blow over and we will go again.

Accept it or walk away, we are what we are a club ruled by one man, until "the penny drops" and SL changes his fav man we are going no-where.

Archived