IGNORED

Interesting Facts/Stats

BS2 Red

7 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Weird facts like that blow my mind.

What interesting/weird/unusual football facts do you know?

Not so weird, but I told one to my Dad earlier.

Sean Dyche and Roy Hodgson have just one club in common between their playing and managerial careers combined. Thay was Bristol City.

Hodgson joined City as Assistant Manager 17 years before Dyche joined as a player (becoming manager 15 years before Dyche arrived).

And Dyche last played for us over 20 years ago.

Goalkeepers playing to 40 or so Is not so unusual. Matthews is the freak, playing outfield into his 50s. His training methods (much harder than his peers) and attitude to diet (going without meat a few days each week)were 60-70 years ahead of their time.

The one player that I can imagine going on for a lot longer than the norm is Cristiano Ronaldo. You may not like him but there are many similarities to Matthews in terms of single-minded attitude and desire to succeed.

11 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Goalkeepers playing to 40 or so Is not so unusual. Matthews is the freak, playing outfield into his 50s. His training methods (much harder than his peers) and attitude to diet (going without meat a few days each week)were 60-70 years ahead of their time.

The one player that I can imagine going on for a lot longer than the norm is Cristiano Ronaldo. You may not like him but there are many similarities to Matthews in terms of single-minded attitude and desire to succeed.

Yeah he'll go on into his 40's

Nigel Spink, the ex Aston Villa goalkeeper who played in the 1982 European Cup final,  is the only person called Nigel who has played in a European final. His last appearance for Villa was as a substitute and he came on as an outfield player 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Nigel Spink, the ex Aston Villa goalkeeper who played in the 1982 European Cup final,  is the only person called Nigel who has played in a European final.

43 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The guy spink replaced was called rimmer...

The fact that Aston Vile went on to win this final was because Bayern hadn't made any plans for Nigel...

12 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

In colonial America, cider was the drink for the masses much like beer was over here, weaker cider/ beer for the kids

It's now making a big comeback. Fortunately for me here in Colorado there are some good Cideries putting out some great Ciders

3 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Lucky you! up here in Canada it is too, but all the ones I've tasted are just way too sweet for my liking

We are lucky. Granted there are quite a few that are very sweet and some with strange additions like Hibiscus or Lavender to appeal to the American masses (WTF), however most if not all offer an "Off Dry", "Semi Dry" or "Dry" some of which are great. My favorite here is Stem Cider. Try it if you can find it. Another I quite like is Seattle Dry. Granted none of them stand up to Thatchers, however it's great having a decent variety.

Goal keeper Mike Gibson saved a penalty on his debut for City. When he retired, he was replaced by Ray Cashley who..... saved a penalty on his debut.

79/80(?) season, City had a different goalie for three consecutive league matches.

Neither Chelsea, nor Manchester City have ever won a League game at Ashton Gate.

40 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Lucky you! up here in Canada it is too, but all the ones I've tasted are just way too sweet for my liking

Same in Michigan. I'm not even sure it has any alcoholic content. Tastes just like cloudy apple juice.

Archived