Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Respectfulness and Acknowledgment

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Two words I think this forum lacks sometimes.  Its so sad reading grown men calling LJ  a "clown" and phrases like "get out of my club".  
Can we as a fan base just not acknowledge that the current setup of LJ, MA and JL have progressed this club, and that the journey has simply run its course?  Lets be thankful for the work that Lee has done in making us a stable, and lets not forget, RESPECTED, Championship club.  Things that we haven't be able to say before LJ took the reins. 

Everyone has a level, and to be honest I think Lee at the moment has hit that ceiling, for whatever reason.   He is a great manager and you can tell he loves this club dearly, so is it possible, for once, that we can be a little bit more respectful and actually acknowledge what he has done? 

Why does everything have to result in insults and vitriol? 

I do agree that potentially a change has to be made, unless their is a vast change / miracle from tomorrow.  But lets not be so blinkered by recent disappointment to completely tarnish the overall picture of what Lee and his team have achieved with this football club.  I'd like to think we were better than that. 

I don't think he's a 'great manager', but agree to your sentiment.

The bit in bold is because people will say anything behind a keyboard. Big problem with society and social media.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Two words I think this forum lacks sometimes.  Its so sad reading grown men calling LJ  a "clown" and phrases like "get out of my club".  
Can we as a fan base just not acknowledge that the current setup of LJ, MA and JL have progressed this club, and that the journey has simply run its course?  Lets be thankful for the work that Lee has done in making us a stable, and lets not forget, RESPECTED, Championship club.  Things that we haven't be able to say before LJ took the reins. 

Everyone has a level, and to be honest I think Lee at the moment has hit that ceiling, for whatever reason.   He is a great manager and you can tell he loves this club dearly, so is it possible, for once, that we can be a little bit more respectful and actually acknowledge what he has done? 

I do agree that potentially a change has to be made, unless their is a vast change / miracle from tomorrow.  But lets not be so blinkered by recent disappointment to completely tarnish the overall picture of what Lee and his team have achieved with this football club.  I'd like to think we were better than that. 

Lee Johnson. Is doing everything in his power to destroy this club and merits all the insults and vitriol thrown at him.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Aubergine 6

Sadly it is the age we live in right now. You only have to flick through Twitter for 10 minutes to see the amount of vitriol people hide behind on their smartphones. 

No one is willing to debate anymore on any subject, they are right, and you are wrong no matter what.

I am however, LJ out. 

• Like 2

Excellent post. Whilst I would not go as far as to say LJ is a "great" manager, he has certainly proved a decent one at Championship level. He has progressed the club and, if he left at the end of the season, he'd go down as a manager who turned us from relegation candidates to one that s ready to challenge for the play-offs. Unfortunately he has also shown that he does not have what it takes to get us to that next level of qualifying for the play-offs ad ultimately getting promoted to the Premier League.

I think he has to go. But I also think it is a shame because, frustrating though he is in interviews, he is a manager who loves the club and I can't remember the last time we had a manager where this job was "the" job they wanted and this club was "the" club they wanted to be at.

I've been frustrated and annoyed since December and it does feel like he has reached the end of the road. But I do think, if he goes, he should be seen as someone who loves and has worked hard for the club but failed to get it right rather than the comedy figure that some on here paint him as. 

• Like 11
22 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

It's just a forum where people vent, largely behind anonymous aliases (myself included).

If people bumped into LJ and had the opportunity for a 30 minute (socially distanced of course) chat about the team, they wouldn't call him a clown etc. 

LJ has been around football long enough to understand the supporter psyche, and he didn't have it easy from fans as a player. He's got a thick skin and I doubt he cares too much.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I agree to most of your post.

However you have to takeN on board the passion that sometimes over comes many people. Another factor is that we are all from different demographics, upbringings, backgrounds etc and our responses may reflect what look like sometimes not appropriate or in most cases worded a bit not quite correct.

All on OTIB do respect the club and others. I’m not aware of insults on OTIB just a bit of banter and if you are man enough you get over it.

LJ has reached his level and I think he reached his level 12 months ago and quite frankly the club needed a change six months ago.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Completely agree. I don’t mind people having differing opinions on LJ and can understand why people might think he’s taken us as far as he can and it’s time for a change etc. But it gets my back up when like you said he’s called a clown or clueless etc, he’s clearly not clueless. He’s established us in the championship and our stock has definitely risen. I still believe he can turn it around but I do accept that the performances recently have been shocking to say the least. 

I just hope if he does leave he’s thanked for the job he’s done and the effort he’s put in. Sadly I think the opposite will happen which is bit of a shame.

He's established us as a mid table Championship club. Regrettably to progress further we need more than that and I no longer think he is the man to do it.

• Like 7

Don’t understand it. Should see the Facebook group posts which are even worse. It’s all easy to say it behind a keyboard or phone. But no one would have the guts to say it to someone’s face.

And some of the people making these horrid comments are not exactly Prince Charming looking themselves..

Edited by Redpool
Just now, BigTone said:

He's established us as a mid table Championship club. Regrettably to progress further we need more than that and I no longer think he is the man to do it.

Exactly this. And, if you think of the players who got us promoted in 2014, there are plenty like Elliott, Little, Abraham and Agard, to name but a few, who did a great job for us but ultimately got unsentimentally moved on because the club recognised change was needed for the team to progress. It's only fair to hold the manager to the same standard. 

• Like 10
1 minute ago, Redpool said:

Don’t understand it. Should see the Facebook group posts which are even worse. It’s all easy to say it behind a keyboard or phone. But no one would have the guts to say it to someone’s face.

And some of the people making these horrid comments are not exactly Prince Charming looking themselves..

Facebook is the worst place for City discussion. There's a couple of really really vapid groups that are just rubbish. 

OTIB is very good overall, the discussion is intelligent and balanced for the most part. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I appreciate the work that's been done but to me keeping LJ spits in the face of that work, he's taken us as far as he can and keeping him on is only giving all that great work the middle finger as its grinding to a halt now. 

I don't think LJ is a clown, Midget etc, I'm sure he's a great guy, BUT, he is tactically inept at this level, his personal issues are affecting results as key players are left out and his answers are not convincing in the slightest anymore. If he left now and we have a far more experienced man come in I'd happily say "thank you for all you've done" to Lee but his stubbornness in staying on when he cannot take us further is going to cause resentment with the fans and they can't be blamed for that. It would be a different story if he was playing Palmer, putting Afobe in his correct position etc, fans would be frustrated at losses but they wouldn't have obvious mistakes glaring at them that were caused by a stubbornness of the head coach. 

I respect what Lee has done, but I no longer respect what he is currently doing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, hodge said:

Jibes at his height are also uncalled for, don’t recall any other manager we’ve had mocked or insulted for anything to do with them 

Agree completely, a person can do nothing about their height .

I am against name calling in general because it is hurtful and unnecessary.

If LJ was abusing the club then he may warrant the anger but he gives his all and it seems that his ‘ all ‘ isn’t enough for where we want to be .

I hope he goes , and soon , and wish him all the best for the future . 

I am grateful for what he’s done for Bristol City but all good things come to an end.

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 5
9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Exactly this. And, if you think of the players who got us promoted in 2014, there are plenty like Elliott, Little, Abraham and Agard, to name but a few, who did a great job for us but ultimately got unsentimentally moved on because the club recognised change was needed for the team to progress. It's only fair to hold the manager to the same standard. 

I am guessing you meant Wilbraham ?

31 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I agree that it can seem disrespectful at times, but let’s be honest, LJ doesn’t have to come on here and read these threads and it’s a fans forum after all. 

I suspect this forum provides some good therapy for fans, where they can vent their spleens on here and I think it’s a fair indication of their current frustration.

Where I have a serious issue is when people are attacked and abused on Twitter and suchlike and is bang out of order.  

This club isn’t exactly in tune with the fanbase as it is, so I think people should be free to speak their minds if it stays within the forum rules and a few ‘little Lee’s’ and ‘clown’ isn’t that bad really, is it?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Lee Johnson. Is doing everything in his power to destroy this club and merits all the insults and vitriol thrown at him.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF by Leroy Patterson

Of course my post is ridiculous, meant to highlight the absurdity of the insults . 
 Bravo the two guys who gave me an aubergine .

:doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, grifty said:

I don't think he's a 'great manager', but agree to your sentiment.

The bit in bold is because people will say anything behind a keyboard. Big problem with society and social media.

LJ is a good manager but not a great manager. He has taken the club up a couple of levels but he’s now at his limit. 

I see him at a club either fighting to stay up in the championship or a league 1 club building for promotion to the championship over a two year plan.

I have to agree with you that insults and abuse are a sad reflection of some  supporters and are offensive.  However i do understand the frustrations and annoyance of loyal fans, with a good manager (Not Great) who has overstayed his welcome in my opinion.  He is clearly struggling, and needs to be thanked for his efforts in stablilising our club and be shown the door, with a nice big pay off no doubt?                           He has taken the club as far as his abilities have allowed him, and now a new manager, who is able to motivate and introduce coherent team tactics, needs to come in and take us to the next level.  Two recent examples of LJ's failure to learn, came  after Sundays defeat, they were his criticism of the poor communication in our defence?........If u keep constantly changing the back line LJ, that is what happens.  Then his statement that we need a Bannan type player in midfield.......Yep, only four and a half years to remedy that chestnut and still wishing?    Also I just have to to mention that the tactic of putting Afobe on the left wing was misguided in the extreme!      I understand players have been sold which has had a detrimental effect, for which he has had to put up with, but if you settle on a formation and a tactical plan, then players can come and go, but you can still maintain a cohesive unit.  He seems to be blaming everyone except himself, I see us finishing where we currently belong, in midtable, and then its up to Uncle Steve?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Agree completely, a person can do nothing about their height .

I am against name calling in general because it is hurtful and unnecessary.

If LJ was abusing the club then he may warrant the anger but he gives his all and it seems that his ‘ all ‘ isn’t enough for where we want to be .

I hope he goes , and soon , and wish him all the best for the future . 

I am grateful for what he’s done for Bristol City but all good things come to an end.

I agree you upper crust Tart !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Words like clown and midget are uncalled for and personal insults that are nothing to do with football just show a lack of class on behalf of the poster. But it seems certain people on this forum will literally have nothing said against him.  Unfortunately football is a passionate affair and as such people will vent their anger and disappointment of which many feel the last 4 or so years performance has provided ample ammunition to show such feelings.  As long as it’s done in a measured way I see no problem with it personally.

And regards this misnomer that we all have to ‘thank him’ for his services - well he’s been very well paid over this time and been provided with the very best tools that any City manager has ever had - so maybe he should be thanking us for giving him the opportunity and sticking with him for so long.  He wasn’t going to get that opportunity anywhere else and ultimately he has unfortunately failed. Time for a fresh slate now for all parties.   

• Like 1

The personal attacks are a bit much. He isn't a bad person. 

But from a professional perspective, he's been given more time and resources than almost any other man in his position and the results have been average at best. Managers with smaller budgets and less time have achieved considerably more. I don't think it's unreasonable to call him out for being in a privileged position that others wouldn't get. 

• Like 2

I agree the personal jibes are unnecessary, and I enjoyed the cup run, but there's been nothing else memorable about LJ's time as manager to acknowledge or celebrate.

The way he talks about the game - far from being some genius level coaching insight - is simply fad-ridden techno babble designed to make him seem more knowledgeable rather than share any real information.

The post match interview from Sunday was insulting, implying there was some hidden great performance us mere mortals couldn't see.  It was pure dishonest bluster.

He's bombed out far too many expensive players without reasonable explanation, taken no responsibility for things going badly too often, and failed to actually show any footballing ethos or principles that lead to consistency.

Having watched all of our games this season we are extremely lucky to be in the league position we're in, our performances have been far worse than our results.

For every player that has been sold he's been able to sign more, and the wage bill has grown massively as he's done so.  The results delivered have not matched the money put in.

I was happy with incremental improvement in league position but always a bit concerned about how little progress we seemed to make in performance. 

Now both have gone backwards, so it's time to find someone else to say Yes to Lansdown.

• Like 10
46 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Bet he's never done THAT before !  😎

(yes I know, bit disrespectful, but when I saw that ,couldn't help it )

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Of course my post is ridiculous, meant to highlight the absurdity of the insults . 
 Bravo the two guys who gave me an aubergine .

:doh:

Are you back peddling ? I took your post has an honest one.

• Haha 1