IGNORED

Wigan In Administration (Merged)

Lez

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Reading the BBC website.....unbeaten in 9 and 7 clean sheets in a row. Peanuts spent and small wage bill by championship standards. Play really good football and solid at the back. Very impressive stuff.

But can they be trusted and how many inches are they packing for box entries? 

Always thought their League position wasn't reflected by performance, underlying numbers for about a year and half, maybe bit more, bit less

I remember thinking they looked better than strugglers both times at AG and the 2-0 up there that we won, we were largely battered or at least had to withstand a fair bit of pressure!

They had a terrible away record under him but no more. Won 5 away games from New Years Day onwards!!

As for Stoke..good move for Powell eh.  :laugh: 

Bet he didn't think he'd be below Wigan this time last year. Could yet work for him, but nice move!

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Just don’t think he will fit the clubs regime unfortunately. Paul Cook is a character, not sure our lot will like that...

He isnt a yes man and is quite a confrontational character.....so we can cross him off the list if it ever came to it.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always thought their League position wasn't reflected by performance, underlying numbers for about a year and half, maybe bit more, bit less

I remember thinking they looked better than strugglers both times at AG and the 2-0 up there that we won, we were largely battered or at least had to withstand a fair bit of pressure!

They had a terrible away record under him but no more. Won 5 away games from New Years Day onwards!!

As for Stoke..good move for Powell eh.  :laugh: 

Bet he didn't think he'd be below Wigan this time last year. Could yet work for him, but nice move!

I was surprised that they struggled early on as they recruited some very good players in the last summer window. 

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Paul Cook is the closest thing to Chris Wilder that’s likely to be available to us. He’s won promotions with three clubs and has also shown he’s not afraid to move jobs if he thinks a better job is available. It’s an excellent shout.

I agree with that. I can remember Cook as a classy central midfielder for Burnley at this level as well. I would be happy with him but can't see it happening for three reasons:

1. He's a Lancastrian who spent most of his playing career in the North West. Pompey is a bigger club than Wigan, yet he swapped them to go back up north
  2. He's a proper football manager, rather than a head coach preferred by the board
  3. He's no 'yes man', which is another key attribute valued by the board

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’d be happy with either Cook, Robins or Hughton.

The latter being unlikely of course.

I don't necessarily think Houghton is unlikely, I think we do the club (current form notwithstanding) a disservice and we'd be an attractive option to lots of managers.

The key issue is Ashton's role and whether potential managers would be happy with that. 

23 minutes ago, tin said:

I agree with that. I can remember Cook as a classy central midfielder for Burnley at this level as well. I would be happy with him but can't see it happening for three reasons:

1. He's a Lancastrian who spent most of his playing career in the North West. Pompey is a bigger club than Wigan, yet he swapped them to go back up north
  2. He's a proper football manager, rather than a head coach preferred by the board
  3. He's no 'yes man', which is another key attribute valued by the board

He relocated his family to the North West of Ireland for 5 years to manage Sligo Rovers, and won 2 FAI Cup Finals, did a similar job to the one Pat Lam did at Connacht, and brought the community together, still highly regarded by Sligo Rovers supporters. He also spent 5 - 6 years as a player (quality player) in the Midlands, so no problem relocating to Bristol.

I think he would except our structure with Ashton as DoF, why wouldn't he, with the support and resources he will get from the Lansdown family, which he's never had before. He also has a track record of success, which Johnson doesn't. Yes, I'm sure there will be challenges, as you say he's a strong character, but Ashton is a professional and can manage any issues. Our supporters seem united that Johnson should leave. I thing Cook would be a great appointment, he would bring the supporters together, and I would think play-offs or possibly automatic promotion.     

54 minutes ago, irishreds said:

He relocated his family to the North West of Ireland for 5 years to manage Sligo Rovers, and won 2 FAI Cup Finals, did a similar job to the one Pat Lam did at Connacht, and brought the community together, still highly regarded by Sligo Rovers supporters. He also spent 5 - 6 years as a player (quality player) in the Midlands, so no problem relocating to Bristol.

I think he would except our structure with Ashton as DoF, why wouldn't he, with the support and resources he will get from the Lansdown family, which he's never had before. He also has a track record of success, which Johnson doesn't. Yes, I'm sure there will be challenges, as you say he's a strong character, but Ashton is a professional and can manage any issues. Our supporters seem united that Johnson should leave. I thing Cook would be a great appointment, he would bring the supporters together, and I would think play-offs or possibly automatic promotion.     

He is used to losing his big players.....the difference is with us he would get cash to replace.

Archived