IGNORED

Wigan In Administration (Merged)

Lez

7 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Points deduction THIS season ?

Yes I think it will be 12 points.

"The EFL rule 12.3.1 says that: If any Club becomes subject to or suffers an Insolvency Event, that Club shall be deducted 12 points." 
Leaves them 4 points from safety.

On them being 4 points from safety I think they'll still survive, if nothing else I could see the deduction acting as a big motivator for everyone at the club, they still have QPR home, Barnsley away, Hull home, Charlton away to play as well.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Deducting points, given the present pandemic, seems very harsh.  Surely there should be an amnesty while clubs try to survive?

Providing they can prove that Covid-19 is a route cause of their difficulties, then yes, I agree.

If Covid just becomes an excuse for mismanagement by Wigan or anybody else, then no.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Deducting points, given the present pandemic, seems very harsh.  Surely there should be an amnesty while clubs try to survive?

Personally I think it’s far from certain they will face a points deduction. They can argue unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances so I think more likely they won’t get a deduction 

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Presumably why leagues 1 and 2 voted to curtail, limited income and having to unfurlough staff to be able to compete, question to answer would be whether Wigan would have gone into administration if football didn't return? 

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Presumably why leagues 1 and 2 voted to curtail, limited income and having to unfurlough staff to be able to compete, question to answer would be whether Wigan would have gone into administration if football didn't return? 

This.

I would imagine we will see several L1 and L2 clubs go into administration in the break between seasons as the money runs out. I’d also think that if there are deductions they will be from the start of next season. If we’d have curtailed, Wigan would also be in that boat. 

I don’t think you can have an amnesty on deductions as doing so allows the system to be gamed. However, you have to have regard to the current circumstances 

For that reason, I’d guess any deduction will be held over until next year. Either way, it could be a legal mess.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

This.

I would imagine we will see several L1 and L2 clubs go into administration in the break between seasons as the money runs out. I’d also think that if there are deductions they will be from the start of next season. If we’d have curtailed, Wigan would also be in that boat. 

I don’t think you can have an amnesty on deductions as doing so allows the system to be gamed. However, you have to have regard to the current circumstances 

For that reason, I’d guess any deduction will be held over until next year. Either way, it could be a legal mess.

There may be no deduction for teams going into administration from covid. The rules allow for argument on unforeseen circumstances 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

There may be no deduction for teams going into administration from covid. The rules allow for argument on unforeseen circumstances 

Agree - but it’s proveability here. If I’m right, the Wigan takeover only occurred recently - start of last month. It’s difficult to argue that the admin was due to COVID when the takeover parties, assumedly having done due diligence, took over less than a month before the admin and knew the scenario.

Arguing down to COVID when you’ve bought the club during the lockdown looks fishy to say the least

Just now, Loco Rojo said:

...and docked 12 points! 

Would this make Cook more likely to want to leave rather than manage back in League 1?

Don't think they'll be going down, 4/6 games left are favourable for picking up points against the others at the bottom

Just now, hodge said:

Don't think they'll be going down, 4/6 games left are favourable for picking up points against the others at the bottom

It's a great motivation for the players now isn't it?

May have been thinking they were clear of relegation compared to other teams bow them and now they're sucked right back in to it.

Archived