IGNORED

Wigan In Administration (Merged)

Lez

8 minutes ago, TwoSheds said:

Minus 12 points takes them to the bottom of the championship 

Will be applied this or next season at the end of the season depending. 

Say they finish 15 ahead of the drop then it'd be to start next season. Whereas if it was 10 it'd be this season.

Or had they gone down anyway, it'd be starting next season with - 12.

There could be more permutations but I can't think of any right now!

Well that's my reading of it anyway!

• The title was changed to Wigan In Administration (Merged)
32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Will be applied this or next season at the end of the season depending. 

Say they finish 15 ahead of the drop then it'd be to start next season. Whereas if it was 10 it'd be this season.

Or had they gone down anyway, it'd be starting next season with - 12.

There could be more permutations but I can't think of any right now!

Well that's my reading of it anyway!

That’s not how I read it. 

If they’d be relegated anyway (unlikely) the deduction will happen next season. But if they’re not in the relegation zone the 12 points are deducted this season. If they’re 10 points above the drop that will result in them being relegated. But if they’re 15 points clear they will lose 12 points but stay up.

I think.

Just now, lager loud said:

If they’d be relegated anyway (unlikely) the deduction will happen next season. But if they’re not in the relegation zone the 12 points are deducted this season. If they’re 10 points above the drop that will result in them being relegated. But if they’re 15 points clear they will lose 12 points but stay up.

I think.

This

23 minutes ago, lager loud said:

I think.

Yeah makes more sense. Can't tell with the EFL however! 

@hodge All depends on the ability and willingness of the owner. Reading and Sheffield United above. (Mind you, a decent whack of their wage bill would've been promotion bonuses)!

EDIT: Kieran Maguire seems to think it's along the lines of my interpretation but who knows in these times, who knows for sure!

5 hours ago, irishreds said:

He relocated his family to the North West of Ireland for 5 years to manage Sligo Rovers, and won 2 FAI Cup Finals, did a similar job to the one Pat Lam did at Connacht, and brought the community together, still highly regarded by Sligo Rovers supporters. He also spent 5 - 6 years as a player (quality player) in the Midlands, so no problem relocating to Bristol.

I think he would except our structure with Ashton as DoF, why wouldn't he, with the support and resources he will get from the Lansdown family, which he's never had before. He also has a track record of success, which Johnson doesn't. Yes, I'm sure there will be challenges, as you say he's a strong character, but Ashton is a professional and can manage any issues. Our supporters seem united that Johnson should leave. I thing Cook would be a great appointment, he would bring the supporters together, and I would think play-offs or possibly automatic promotion.     

Ah, the old Sligo connection ?

Good breeding ground for managers ?

cough, cough, Cotts.

Good thread by David Conn- always strong on football finance matters. Did some great work on Bury!

All the best to Wigan off the pitch, clearly. In terms of on the pitch, there will be a manager and a number of players that clubs will be looking at, keeping an eye on things off the pitch and seeing what opportunities might materialise.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good thread by David Conn- always strong on football finance matters. Did some great work on Bury!

All the best to Wigan off the pitch, clearly. In terms of on the pitch, there will be a manager and a number of players that clubs will be looking at, keeping an eye on things off the pitch and seeing what opportunities might materialise.

Interesting to see Brexit mentioned as a negative factor. Anyone know how the Wigan folks voted?

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Interesting to see Brexit mentioned as a negative factor. Anyone know how the Wigan folks voted?

I’m surprised it didn’t mention Donald Trump and chlorinated chicken 

2 hours ago, Redstart said:

Have to wonder if Wigan going into Administration will be the first of many now unfortunately.

Another 21 (:() and  premier league, here we come! :) 

Although knowing us, we'd still cock it up.

More to come out on this as by the sounds of things the owners who took over a month ago were pretty clueless and had zero understanding of British law or the EFL's rules or what putting the club into administration meant, and the administrators themselves only found out last week there was even a problem.  

Think when all is said and done this is another one for the EFL's hopeless fit and proper persons test. I wouldn't let the EFL run a bath.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

More to come out on this as by the sounds of things the owners who took over a month ago were pretty clueless and had zero understanding of British law or the EFL's rules or what putting the club into administration meant, and the administrators themselves only found out last week there was even a problem.  

Think when all is said and done this is another one for the EFL's hopeless fit and proper persons test. I wouldn't let the EFL run a bath.

Exactly, you would have thought after the Bury debacle the EFL would actually be a but more cautious about their fit and proper persons test, but to allow people who clearly don't appear to have the money or the knowledge to run the club is just disgraceful. 

Only saving grace could be that the national security law being passed in HK has had some drastic and unknowable side effects for the owners but I doubt it. 

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

I saw a rumour that they sold it to NLF because they were going to put it into administration but this way it didn't affect their share price. So I think more will come out about this.

The fit and proper test, is apparently neutral.

Basically the requirements are, from what I've read:

"Are you convicted of a crime? No

"Have you an unspent criminal conviction here or any other jurisdiction? No.

Are you a bankrupt/have you had a significant insolvency event? No."

That's a few of the questions. Until it's reformed, ideally through legislation, unsure how much the EFL can properly do at that end- think club owners get the chance to vote on rules for a start!

I saw a better explanation than mine online a while ago, will try to find it. If the objective and neutral criteria are met, I don't think the EFL can block it. What they can do is monitor and impose sanctions where necessary after the event, or launch an investigation with that in mind/as a possibility- see Charlton a an example.

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Points deduction THIS season ?

It all depends. If Wigan finish outside the relegation zone, then the -12 will be applied.

If they do finish in he bottom three, then the minus 12 is applied next season.

54 minutes ago, 22A said:

It all depends. If Wigan finish outside the relegation zone, then the -12 will be applied.

If they do finish in he bottom three, then the minus 12 is applied next season.

What if they finish 11 points outside the relegation zone? a 12 point deduction would surely send them down or would they start in the Championship next season on minus 12 points? I'm a little confused.

3 hours ago, pillred said:

What if they finish 11 points outside the relegation zone? a 12 point deduction would surely send them down or would they start in the Championship next season on minus 12 points? I'm a little confused.

If Wigan finish 11 pts away from relegation, then the deduction cuts in and they would go down.

If they were relegated anyway, then the deduction is deferred and next season they start on minus 12.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

If Wigan finish 11 pts away from relegation, then the deduction cuts in and they would go down.

If they were relegated anyway, then the deduction is deferred and next season they start on minus 12.

What happens if they finish 13 points above relegation. 
Does the -12 kick in then, which would obviously be no punishment at all, or do they start -12 next season? 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Does the -12 kick in then, which would obviously be no punishment at all, or do they start -12 next season? 

This is what I was wondering. I've read that EFL can impose a given penalty as and when they see fit but I don't know how robust that is.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

It definitely reads that the points deduction would be applied this season, so that there would be no real punishment in the scenario you describe.

But there are signs in the EFL statement that it was written either in a hurry or by someone whose written English (or proofreading)  is not the best (don’t need both “if” and “in the event of”; there’s a “the” missing before “season” at one point).*

So whether this is what was intended - or whether the official notice that goes to Wigan says the same - is anyone’s guess. I thought there were supposed to be provisions to prevent clubs gaming the system by going into administration at a time when they think the points deduction won’t hurt them.

*you can call me a pedant if you want. I’ll take it as a compliment!

This is apparently getting very interesting.

The allegation is that Wigan’s new owners put a bundle on them to go down. The recent form panicked them, and as such they triggered the admin and points deduction to try and ensure relegation.

As I said before, buying a club at start of June when we were in COVID and putting them into admin now doesn’t seem to suggest admin was caused by the pandemic. There may well be darker forces here..

Archived