IGNORED

Wigan In Administration (Merged)

Lez

12 minutes ago, tin said:

They're a small club that have punched above their weight for a while now and the lower leagues is where the belong. But, what's happened to them is a travesty and they absolutely deserve to stay up. I actually hope the FA shows leniency and doesn't penalise them for something that's not been their own making.

How very arrogant - Wigan got to the premier league and stayed there for EIGHT seasons and got to the league cup final and won the FA Cup along the way - in comparison we’ve been in the championship since 2015 and many think we are now ‘established’ in this division. I have to say your post is a staggering dismissal of their achievements - they co-exist in a small town alongside a world-renowned rugby league club and they still get bigger crowds than Bristol City, in terms of % of their population. But, hey, let’s put them down and call them a lower league, small club .... we’d have given anything for their recent history ...

I wonder whether Wigan might finish 22nd, then end up staying up after Sheffield Wednesday are deducted points.

Bit of a shame that financial irregularities will have such a massive impact on the table, but there should be no leniency shown to FFP rule breakers.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How very arrogant - Wigan got to the premier league and stayed there for EIGHT seasons and got to the league cup final and won the FA Cup along the way - in comparison we’ve been in the championship since 2015 and many think we are now ‘established’ in this division. I have to say your post is a staggering dismissal of their achievements - they co-exist in a small town alongside a world-renowned rugby league club and they still get bigger crowds than Bristol City, in terms of % of their population. But, hey, let’s put them down and call them a lower league, small club .... we’d have given anything for their recent history ...

No arrogance intended, just an opinion and a tinge of envy. While you’re right about their recent history, they’re another club that has passed us by - like Fulham or Reading - by having an amazingly generous owner who ploughed millions into them at the right time. 

I can recall going to the old Springfield Park in the ‘90s, we won 3-0 and half the 2,000 crowd was from Bristol. I’ve been to the JJB a few times since and the ground’s not even been half full. That’s why I think, based on history going back further than 15 years, they’ve punched above their weight - and fair play to them. I’d have loved to see us do the same. 

Oh, and thanks for completely glossing over the fact that I hope the FA sees sense and goes easy on them, and that they deserve to stay up this season. That shows empathy more than arrogance.

2 hours ago, Robin101 said:

I'm glad we won tonight for our own sake, but I'm also pleased we could do Wigan a small favour too.

It was announced earlier that Wigan will be deducted 12 points if they finish outside the bottom three. This effectively leaves them 4 points from safety with 4 games to go. There seems to be every chance they've been deliberately sabotaged by their own board. To me, it seems an injustice that they - that is, the fans, players, staff - should be relegated.

They're certainly fighting hard. I wish them every luck.

Nope manufactured lower /non league club surrounded by established great old clubs fair play to Mr Whelan who put his money where his mouth was and proved it could be done but I think that the dream is over 

Not in the slightest. Got a rich owner and he took them from bottom all way to prem. All that time they still havent been able to achieve self funding and sustainability, and now hes gone they collapse. No one to blame but themselves. Take care wigan dont let the door hit you on the way out

Their losses are much lower than or Iower anyway than varied Championship sides. They haven't cheated financially AFAIK so I'd much rather a variety of other sides went down ahead of them.

That aside, I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it, but we're they stitched up? Sounds like it. The 12 points has to be applied and needs to be for consistency, but if hey stay up it'll be deserved, absolutely.

22 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Not in the slightest. Got a rich owner and he took them from bottom all way to prem. All that time they still havent been able to achieve self funding and sustainability, and now hes gone they collapse. No one to blame but themselves. Take care wigan dont let the door hit you on the way out

That’s not the reality though is it? They’ve been shafted by fraudulent owners coming in. Why should they not to blame? 

Imagine SL relinquished control of the club and within a month the new owner had put us into administration, suppose we would also have nobody to blame but ourselves too? 

Common justice says that for the sake of their fans (few though they may be) that they stay up just to subvert the fraud that seems to have been carried out against the club by its “owners”. How the hell any of them could have been judged “Fit and Proper” is something only the EFL can answer, but if it went to court, I am not sure that the EFL would come out of it particularly well.

Got nothing against them, got nothing in favour of them either. Not exactly an attractive town, and it'll be nice to have fewer northern clubs in the division.

Sorry if it that sounds heartless to their fans, but at no club that has been penalised has it ever been the fault of the fans. It's always dodgy owners.

We don't wring our hands and weep about other clubs being penalised, so I'm not here.

All this sad saga shows is that the "fit and proper" test is a joke. Show me a petition and I'll ask the EFL to reform that for the sake of Wigan and many, many other clubs.

11 hours ago, tin said:

They're a small club that have punched above their weight for a while now and the lower leagues is where they belong. But, what's happened to them is a travesty and they absolutely deserve to stay up. I actually hope the FA shows leniency and doesn't penalise them for something that's not been their own making.

they have won more then we have and played in Europe, if that makes them a small team then we are microscope 

Passionately want them to stay up? no not really but I don't like it when teams go down due to points deductions so I do want them to survive.

Looked at their fixtures last night and was surprised to see Barnsley A, Hull H, Charlton A as their next 3 fixtures so if they do well in those winnable games then it won't matter anyway.

If the far-east gambling story is true then I hope they get what they deserve. ?

• Admin
9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

That’s not the reality though is it? They’ve been shafted by fraudulent owners coming in. Why should they not to blame? 

Imagine SL relinquished control of the club and within a month the new owner had put us into administration, suppose we would also have nobody to blame but ourselves too? 

Not the first or the last, not sure why we should feel any different for Wigan?

People reap what they sow in life - maybe look at the people selling their clubs to these people at trying to make a quick profit

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not the first or the last, not sure why we should feel any different for Wigan?

People reap what they sow in life - maybe look at the people selling their clubs to these people at trying to make a quick profit

At the end of the day, it is the EFL/FA who are responsible for vetting these owners, not the sellers. 

10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Hull look the alternative, will take Wigan cheers 

Day out in Hull is better than a day out in Wigan. 

Hull has a nice historic quarter with some reasonable boozers. All charging about 60% of what pubs in Bristol charge.

Plus when they hear you have a Southern accent, you get more fanny than James Bond.  :devil:

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Day out in Hull is better than a day out in Wigan. 

Hull has a nice historic quarter with some reasonable boozers. All charging about 60% of what pubs in Bristol charge.

Plus when they hear you have a Southern accent, you get more fanny than James Bond.  :devil:

Good luck to you Sir

th.jpeg-2.jpg

• Admin
2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

At the end of the day, it is the EFL/FA who are responsible for vetting these owners, not the sellers. 

So those selling don't do any due dilligence on the buyers?

I'm not sure the FA look beyond basic finances being able to be backed up

15 hours ago, Super said:

I dunno. Wigan Barnsley and Hull 3 rubbish away trips. 

Barnsley is a bit depressing but I'll take Hull and Wigan over half the clubs in the division for an away trip. Wigan is a cracking town for a few drinks, and Hull has this stigma I've never understood, absolute pain to get to but proper city with some great areas (redeveloped bit by the sea, and the old town). 

If we're relegating teams on the strength of the away experience I'd knock lots of points off Reading, Luton and Blackburn before anyone else! And Wigan do seem to have been royally shafted, having put together a decent young team with a good manager and a lot of self-belief. 70 redundancies is tragic too.

41 minutes ago, Olé said:

Hull has this stigma I've never understood, absolute pain to get to but proper city with some great areas (redeveloped bit by the sea, and the old town)

Went for a job interview in Hull, wasn't too upset to not get the job and avoid living in the area

On 09/07/2020 at 11:56, BigTone said:

Good luck to you Sir

th.jpeg-2.jpg

In this week's programme we will show you how to make  doughnuts that look  like fannys.:shocking:

On 08/07/2020 at 21:29, BS4 on Tour... said:

They also had a very wealthy owner with a big difference to SL.

Dave Whelan as a former professional player, had a much better idea of where the money should be spent. SL is always at the mercy of a manager who puts forward a good argument to buy yet another "last piece of the jigsaw". And they are all experts at that even if they're useless managers.

Nice little piece from their local paper ahead of their final game. Still a live issue of course with the number of outstanding cases.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-12th-man-we-fans-bicker-we-hurl-abuse-players-and-managers-we-even-threaten-not-come-any-moreand-yet-here-we-are-still-alive-still-kicking-still-refusing-go-away-quietly-2920299

Have to say, said it on the Cook thread- way he kept them going was fantastic- would be so easy to collapse when docked 12 points after hauling themselves up.

Performances since the turn of the year have absolutely shown patience is key in football. What Paul Cook, Leam Richardson, Anthony Barry and co. have got out of the players in the second half of the season has been remarkable, and we’ve seen some fantastic performances

Would he bring his coaching staff along too? Sounds like it was a team effort, their brilliant form since Boxing Day/just before Christmas.

Archived