IGNORED

Lee Johnson's Biggest Game Yet?

mozo

1 minute ago, The Batman said:

I can't see us winning tonight. 

I can't see us beating Cardiff on the weekend. 

We've got Hull next week. If we don't win that when they're the only team worse than us then God help us

I can seeing us getting something out of Forest and Cardiff then get beaten by Hull , it’s the City way. 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not a huge Appleton fan, but he was better qualified than LJ.

Well I think he has many things going for him

1.  Is better qualified than LJ (as you say)

2. Was recommended by a football person.  Whose job it is to identify such people

3. With a surname like that ... would have been a song for him in no time 

7 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I can't see us winning tonight. 

I can't see us beating Cardiff on the weekend. 

We've got Hull next week. If we don't win that when they're the only team worse than us then God help us

It looks like every one of our opponents is/will be fighting for something at either end of the table, whereas we don't seem to have any fight in us at all.

While it's time like this that, in the past, have seen LJ somehow pull the irons out of the fire with the most unlikely result, I'm fearful that the way we've restarted could see us struggle to get anything from anyone.

Been there got the t shirt before.

City vs Barnsley - January 2020

Ipswich vs City - November 2018

City vs Rotherham - February 2017

All games where I feel if we had lost he'd have been fired. It's the same feeling going into tonight's game. Going by his history, we will win tonight.

I don't see tonight’s match as LJs ‘biggest’ at all. It’s another league fixture that’ll he’ll (we) want to win it just he (we) want to win every match.

However......should LJ select an unfathomable starting 11 and City huff and puff and get nowhere, then lose the match this place will go into meltdown again with more cries for SL to replace LJ.

Sadly SL won’t act unless h’s finally lost faith in LJ (unlikely). SL may also figure that this late in the season is not the best time to sack the manager but wait until the season inns over......who knows?       :dunno:

Just to clear up this MA/LJ point. Its LJ that identifies who joins the club and MA who does the financial side of the deal. No one joins the playing side if LJ does not want them. This was said by MA at a Senior Reds lunch before lockdown.  So this is entirely LJs squad. No excuses Lee, the buck stops with you.

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I'm fearful that the way we've restarted could see us struggle to get anything from anyone.

Yep. I mirror that comment. 

Shouldn't be the case. The management have had 3 months to come up with game plans yet he made a load of changes to the team and the formation in the second game back. 

Very worrying. Yet despite the talent in this squad, we're in limbo. 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't see tonight’s match as LJs ‘biggest’ at all. It’s another league fixture that’ll he’ll (we) want to win it just he (we) want to win every match.

However......should LJ select an unfathomable starting 11 and City huff and puff and get nowhere, then lose the match this place will go into meltdown again with more cries for SL to replace LJ.

Sadly SL won’t act unless h’s finally lost faith in LJ (unlikely). SL may also figure that this late in the season is not the best time to sack the manager but wait until the season inns over......who knows?       :dunno:

What if we get thumped? I'm talking 4-0 or 5-0.

It's a big if, but I'm putting it out there that a drubbing tonight would lose Johnson his job.

Likewise, a big win could conceivably lead us somewhere better.

That's why I see it as an unusually crucial game.

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

This will be a massive week for LJ. 2 more defeats, which look highly likely on current form and that would make it 2 points out of a possible 27.  

All the bullshit in the world can’t gloss over those piss poor statistics and I can’t honestly believe SL is going to support him much longer.  SL may be cautious, but he certainly isn’t stupid.  

Who knows with streaky Lee though and it wouldn’t be the first time he pulls a result out of the bag when we least expect it.

It still wouldn’t surprise me if we get a right dicking tonight though.

I like a man who doesn't sit on the fence, hedge his bets, etc etc.

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

What if we get thumped? I'm talking 4-0 or 5-0.

It's a big if, but I'm putting it out there that a drubbing tonight would lose Johnson his job.

Likewise, a big win could conceivably lead us somewhere better.

That's why I see it as an unusually crucial game.

I hadn’t considered the fall out should City get hammered tonight but it might lead to SL completely losing faith in LJ - even then I doubt he’d fire him straight away but wait until the season is over. Plenty of time then to recruit a successor.

That said having seen and heard SL many times I know that he’s very very cautious when it comes to interviewing prospective managers. He’s had his fingers burnt more than once before. The most recent being SC. 

To SL he has to trust the manager will implement his strategy and that’s a stumbling block. He certainly trusts LJ and that’s why he’s been so loyal to him. Even a thrashing tonight probably  wouldn’t be enough.

20 minutes ago, pillred said:

I like a man who doesn't sit on the fence, hedge his bets, etc etc.

It’s true though pillred, nothing would surprise me with LJ and wouldn’t put it past him to pull one out of the bag against the odds, 

I’m certain about one thing though ..... I’d like to see him gone from this club asap, so we can get someone in who can start building some stability, clearing up the on-pitch mess he’s created and hopefully getting the best out of our talented squad, before they get too demoralised.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I hadn’t considered the fall out should City get hammered tonight but it might lead to SL completely losing faith in LJ - even then I doubt he’d fire him straight away but wait until the season is over. Plenty of time then to recruit a successor.

That said having seen and heard SL many times I know that he’s very very cautious when it comes to interviewing prospective managers. He’s had his fingers burnt more than once before. The most recent being SC

To SL he has to trust the manager will implement his strategy and that’s a stumbling block. He certainly trusts LJ and that’s why he’s been so loyal to him. Even a thrashing tonight probably  wouldn’t be enough.

I'm assuming you are referring to Steve Coppell rather than Steve Cotterill, as SL's relationship with the latter was apparently quite strained come the end....

Well a draw or narrow defeat were the two outcomes that would negate anything season defining happening.

I doubt anything drastic will be announced, but we're heading for a season of undoubted decline and Lee Johnson's approval rating is lower than low.

On 01/07/2020 at 21:23, Sturny said:

We’re in no ‘danger’ of anything unlike when he sacked SC due to fear of relegation, so SL trigger finger is of course going to be light 

Hope its a magnum the one Clint Eastwood had in Dirty Harry.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

If we lose to Cardiff Saturday I reckon you might just get your wish.

I'm not saying anything... just hope we're not prolonging the agony. I'm not being disloyal, only disloyal to the man who is ballsing this up.

Would not be overjoyed with a sneaky win at all.

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm not saying anything... just hope we're not prolonging the agony. I'm not being disloyal, only disloyal to the man who is ballsing this up.

Would not be overjoyed with a sneaky win at all.

It's difficult isn't it while not wanting city to lose (especially Cardiff) maybe it will be better in the long run if it resulted in him going I'm torn.

Archived