IGNORED

Palmer vs Johnson ?

Ollie__tucs

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We all had high expectations of Kasey Palmer I know, but when he has been given a chance, he doesn't seem to have done particularly well. He may be able to make chances for Afobe, but he leaves dangerous holes behind him.  If Lee is going to pick him, he needs to cover the gaps he leaves. 

This was my view also. However, I now believe things are so bad that LJ needs to try something different and that something should be Palmer. LJ just still seems so reluctant to do so, even when chasing the game Sunday.

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We all had high expectations of Kasey Palmer I know, but when he has been given a chance, he doesn't seem to have done particularly well. He may be able to make chances for Afobe, but he leaves dangerous holes behind him.  If Lee is going to pick him, he needs to cover the gaps he leaves. 

Wendy.... A manager buys a player because he likes what he hears and he likes what he sees. In Palmer's case you go one further and say he liked him on loan.... Then, he signs him and apart from a bit of super play he has been somewhat disappointing.

This is when the nous, the man management skills and everything in between need to come into play. We have all said it umpteen times; LJ is seemingly quite good at making a few players better but also making others chronically bad.

From where we are now, what has been spent, the number of players through the door both in and out I'd say he's in the minus camp.

I don't see Palmer improving not getting back to where he was while LJ is at the club. Just cannot see it.

Just now, havanatopia said:

Wendy.... A manager buys a player because he likes what he hears and he likes what he sees. In Palmer's case you go one further and say he liked him on loan.... Then, he signs him and apart from a bit of super play he has been somewhat disappointing.

This is when the nous, the man management skills and everything in between need to come into play. We have all said it umpteen times; LJ is seemingly quite good at making a few players better but also making others chronically bad.

From where we are now, what has been spent, the number of players through the door both in and out I'd say he's in the minus camp.

I don't see Palmer improving nor getting back to where he was while LJ is at the club. Just cannot see it.

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

What is a 'luxury' player?

If it's a player who shows the odd moment of real skill and then goes missing for the rest of the game, we have at least a couple. But I don't think Palmer is one of them.

A luxury player is someone like Palmer and Tomlin who when not in possession offer little or nothing and (I would say) also can only really play in one position.  Someone you need to build a team around. 

In modern day football these players are rare I would say especially at the top level.  

I haven’t got a clue what’s gone on behind the scenes, but the whole Palmer situation this season has been odd. He was on loan last season, so we knew what he was like, spent a lot to buy him.....and he barely features. 

For what it’s worth I rate him - yes he’s not perfect, but we have such little creativity in the team and he is one of those players who is capable of unlocking defences (like with his pass to Rowe for the goal against Brum away, or his pass for Brownhill’s  late winner v Charlton. 

He needs a run of games in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A luxury player is someone like Palmer and Tomlin who when not in possession offer little or nothing and (I would say) also can only really play in one position.  Someone you need to build a team around. 

In modern day football these players are rare I would say especially at the top level.  

Which begs the question why did we buy Palmer?

We know LJ cannot build a team around a player like that (Tomlin).

5 hours ago, Ollie__tucs said:

Yh, it must be that Johnson and palmer have fallen out. some people I've spoke to have said that he doesn't fit championship football and is a prem player

Chelsea didn’t think so, and he’s been promoted from this league so I disagree 

4 hours ago, Kibs said:

I don't think he's had a fair crack IMO. Ask any player and they'll tell you they ideally need several games on the spin to get fully match fit/sharp. Every time KP has made a mistake, he seems to have lost his place immediately and come in for criticism where as other players can seemingly be shocking for weeks, yet still get selected and escape criticism. KP WILL make mistakes because he tries to make things happen. He tries to beat people, he tries to pass it forward, he's happy to receive it under pressure. That's his game. 

Often, when he has been brought into the fold, as a starter or a sub, it's been when we have been desperate or a cup game against lower league opposition. What does that do to a players mentality? And why on earth would he want to put in a shift for LJ?

I think he's done here whilst LJ is in charge, which is a shame because he started the season so well and obviously has the talent.

100% you need a consistent defence / spine. Every time a player gets dropped his confidence takes a dent, when you’re doing that to 4/5 players every week you’re never going to build momentum.

i hope Zak has a good game and doesn’t become the next scapegoat

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Which begs the question why did we buy Palmer?

We know LJ cannot build a team around a player like that (Tomlin).

That’s why I never wanted him. Wolves FA cup game convinced me he wasn’t worth signing. If a player is half hearted in any game it says a lot 

Archived