IGNORED

BYE!

Dolman Block B

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I understand your frustration, but how on earth can you blame the manager for that result tonight?  Two moments of stupidity by two experienced players in a much improved performance.  Just for once, not the manager’s fault.

Too pragmatic by far!

My comment above was a little tongue in cheek but Steve did hand the football reins to Jon.  Steve has Premiership rugby now and maybe he is content with that and is leaving the football side to Jon. Like I said, Im just throwing it out there.

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I understand your frustration, but how on earth can you blame the manager for that result tonight?  Two moments of stupidity by two experienced players in a much improved performance.  Just for once, not the manager’s fault.

He said he was playing a team he can’t trust ... Williams gets sent off for being stupid .... so why was Williams on in the first place ? 

3 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

But the relative cost within their sport is high to acquire that level of talent.

I'm saying we need to match that ambition with the level of our spending within our respective sport. That starts with a change at the top, for a much more ambitious appointment.

Exactly it’s all relative.  And it was far from ‘easy’ to get him Id imagine. I’d expect a lot of effort was needed to get Pat Lam over the line  Let’s put the same resources and effort into getting a proven manager on the football side.  

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Of course he is, anyone who doesn't think SL pulls all the strings is sadly mistaken.

Ultimately, of course it's SL who has the overall say but would JL have to go to his old man? 

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

You mean the guy who is friends with LJ? That’s going to go well isn’t it!!

Yeah, that's not good is it? :(

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

But the relative cost within their sport is high to acquire that level of talent.

I'm saying we need to match that ambition with the level of our spending within our respective sport. That starts with a change at the top, for a much more ambitious appointment.

I don't think to SL its about relative cost between the sports, its just the fact its affordable compared to the actual financial outlay for football

Just now, lenred said:

Exactly it’s all relative.  And it was far from ‘easy’ to get him Id imagine. I’d expect a lot of effort was needed to get Pat Lam over the line  Let’s put the same resources and effort into getting a proven manager on the football side.  

You took the words right out of my mouth sir.

15 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I don't get how SL can make the money available to invest in a quality coach and back room team for Bristol Rugby...

But is insistent on keeping LJ, MA and their jobs for the boys back room team in a job. Woefully inadequate for the aspirations of the fan base, and SURELY the board now?!

Right, I feel that this has been said way too many times on here but may as well say it again. 

There is a huge gulf financially between rugby and football in this country, Bristol are probably one of the best paying sides in the UK and yet, perhaps 4-5 players aside are spending league one wages on their squad, and I’d presume staff. In fact, in 2021 the rugby salary cap for the whole squad will be cut to £5 million a year, which equates to around £95k a week, less than many premier league footballers are on individually and a drop in the ocean compared to the championship. 

So it’s a pointless argument as rugby and football are so different financially, just because Lansdown is able to appoint one of the best coaches in world rugby for Bris, doesn’t mean he can for us

Just now, hodge said:

I don't think to SL its about relative cost between the sports, its just the fact its affordable compared to the actual financial outlay for football

? You'd have to be a pretty strange billionaire to invest the amount he has done into the rugby to transform them into a real ambitious outfit, and something the city can be somewhat proud of...

to then invest many multiples more money into the football team, only for us to be the literal definition of underwhelming, underperforming and frankly drab.

Anyone with any financial sense (of which SL should have a lot - given he has made a fortune in that industry), should be looking at the amount of money wasted by LJ, MA & co versus the outcomes delivered and be thinking...

WTF?

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Again, there’s a major difference. Bristol were a premiership side when Lam joined, getting some of the highest crowds in Europe and littered with some talented players. In fact, only 15 years earlier they’d been in Europe, the footballing equaivalent is maybe Newcastle getting Benitez. So for Lam this was a project that we certainly aren’t for any football manager

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Right, I feel that this has been said way too many times on here but may as well say it again. 

There is a huge gulf financially between rugby and football in this country, Bristol are probably one of the best paying sides in the UK and yet, perhaps 4-5 players aside are spending league one wages on their squad, and I’d presume staff. In fact, in 2021 the rugby salary cap for the whole squad will be cut to £5 million a year, which equates to around £95k a week, less than many premier league footballers are on individually and a drop in the ocean compared to the championship. 

So it’s a pointless argument as rugby and football are so different financially, just because Lansdown is able to appoint one of the best coaches in world rugby for Bris, doesn’t mean he can for us

Not asking for one of the best coaches in the world. We obviously can't afford that.

I'm asking for ambition in our spending - whether that is the choice of manager and coaching staff, or the pragmatism with which we operate in the transfer market.

LJ wasn't an ambitious appointment, but he delivered results in his first few seasons. Now he's stalled massively and the ambition isn't there. Why is that?

We could easily afford to spend more on a better manager, who would be able to identify, attract, and coach a higher performance level out of the players who pull on the shirt. This is a no brainer.

Or we can just continue to piss away millions on mediocrity ?‍♂️ whatever floats your boat.

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

Is it true?
BRISTOL CITY. Lee Johnson will leave the club at the end of the season. Play offs looking very unlikely now so Johnson’s time at the club is running out. #BristolCity #BristolCityFc

on Twitter @DavidSJourno

F. OOK knows

But 100% the right time to say Adios

And bring a top quality coach in

The players are there 

The coach is the missing cog 

This is a guy who's never achieved anything anywhere. Mediocre as a player, mediocre as a manager. He;s fallen into a job due to family ties with an owner.

Gave us a brief half season where we had an opportunity to be proud of our club and the style of football we were playing, largely due to circumstance, and has bored me senseless ever since.

I think I'd love any club that allowed me that indulgence and don't offer any respect to him at all.  Complete charlatan.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

It’s not a pointless argument at all.  The rugby recruitment team have proven that they have the nouse and the attributes to find and secure the services of a top coach.  Yes the amount of top teams in rugby is smaller but so is the pool of talented coaches - much smaller.  And Bris have got one of the best.  
There is a huge pool of talented football managers out there and we are in one of the top 5 richest leagues with one of the richest owners in the country. Yes FFP but you cannot tell me given the investment in the team over the last couple of years that we couldn’t spend some of that investment on the manager and afford a Hughton, a Jokanavic, a McCarthy, a Van Bommel, Adkins etc (I’m just picking out some names there). No one is asking or expecting a top top coach that is the football equivalent of Pat Lam - that would be a Pep or a Jose or a Klopp and would be unrealistic - but we just need someone consummate with the stated aims and ambitions of the club and LJ has proven that he is not that person. 

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For all that his times up, I think the one thing that can’t be levied at LJ is that he doesn’t care about the club. He does.

If he’d gone after Blackburn or Wednesday, he’d have gone after some shocking performances. If he goes after tonight, he leaves after a performance with some fight, but an acknowledgement that he’s just come up short (stop laughing).

I don’t want him to have his Tinnion moment. Until this year, he’s improved us YOY position wise, and he can actually go after that game with a degree of pride and his wider reputation in the game relatively untarnished.

None of us want to see the guy struggle and he should always be welcome back at AG - that would be doubted if he leaves a broken squad which there is chances of if he hangs on for six more games.

I’d like to say thank you and goodbye to him. And today’s game is a decent note to do it on.

I agree. 
The time is now. 
He’s done a decent job but every manager (with only a few exceptions) have a shelf life that isn’t much longer than 4-5 years. 
Done well, established us as a mid to top half championship club. Now it’s time to push to the next level. 

44 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Because the result is endemic of the coach and what he’s created.

42 minutes ago, lenred said:

The fact that it’s an improved performance (Couldn’t get much worse) yet we still lost and are therefore clutching at straws speaks volumes imo. We / he isn’t good enough. It’s been proven time and time again and he needs to go. 

Got to admit it's getting better. Thanks for the positive earworm! 

36 minutes ago, marmite said:

Because SL=Rugby and JL=Football. Just a thought.

Not according to Steve himself, who said on Radio Bristol a couple of years back that he's 'a football man, not a rugby man' or words to that effect. Basically admitted that while he loves the rugby he doesn't understand it as well as football, which he's been watching all his life. 

Just now, City Rocker said:

Got to admit it's getting better. Thanks for the positive earworm! 

Not according to Steve himself, who said on Radio Bristol a couple of years back that he's 'a football man, not a rugby man' or words to that effect. Basically admitted that while he loves the rugby he doesn't understand it as well as football, which he's been watching all his life. 

He must know we're sh*t then.

52 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Even teams who are rock bottom can put in a good performance just don't forget all the crap performances in the previous 8 games

Archived