IGNORED

BYE!

Dolman Block B

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I understand your frustration, but how on earth can you blame the manager for that result tonight?  Two moments of stupidity by two experienced players in a much improved performance.  Just for once, not the manager’s fault.

It to late. We miss the play offs.

17 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

If SL isn't pulling the trigger tomorrow morning he is totally, totally taking the piss out of ALL of us.

SL, do YOUR job!

Steve Lansdown doesn't give a flying fart what the fans /customers think it's his club and he will do what he wants 

5 points from 10 games, 2nd from bottom of form table, part of the problem he has signed too many players and can't decide which is his best team so no continuity 

Always said should be given until end of season or until playoffs were gone, so I think that time has now come to get someone new in assess the squad to trim and rebuild in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

For all that his times up, I think the one thing that can’t be levied at LJ is that he doesn’t care about the club. He does.

If he’d gone after Blackburn or Wednesday, he’d have gone after some shocking performances. If he goes after tonight, he leaves after a performance with some fight, but an acknowledgement that he’s just come up short (stop laughing).

I don’t want him to have his Tinnion moment. Until this year, he’s improved us YOY position wise, and he can actually go after that game with a degree of pride and his wider reputation in the game relatively untarnished.

None of us want to see the guy struggle and he should always be welcome back at AG - that would be doubted if he leaves a broken squad which there is chances of if he hangs on for six more games.

I’d like to say thank you and goodbye to him. And today’s game is a decent note to do it on.

I'll tell you what mate, he's lucky games are BCD because the reaction he would get from a crowd right now would be beyond toxic! I'm glad players like Massengo and Vyner won't be exposed to that. At least until crowds are allowed again!

50 minutes ago, dave36 said:

No idea whether this is true or not, or if he has a good source? But if it is, why not take the decisive action now? 
What’s the point in waiting til the end of the season? 

16 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Steve Lansdown doesn't give a flying fart what the fans /customers think it's his club and he will do what he wants 

and there lies a massive part of the LJ problem, he's not worried as SL wont sack him as he just don't give a shit about the people who make it Bristol city... THE SUPPORTERS..

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I understand your frustration, but how on earth can you blame the manager for that result tonight?  Two moments of stupidity by two experienced players in a much improved performance.  Just for once, not the manager’s fault.

Haven't the last 3 games been lost because of players 'making mistakes' that 'you can't blame the manager for'? 

If that's the case has he lost the dressing room who are repeatedly making mistakes as they are fed up too? 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

No idea whether this is true or not, or if he has a good source? But if it is, why not take the decisive action now? 
What’s the point in waiting til the end of the season? 

Will be absolute b*ll*cks from that account. 

Just now, Bobbie said:

Thought we played well. Very encouraging. Team certainly didn’t look like they’d downed tools. Can’t blame Johnson for tonight’s result. Team we’re organised and well set up 

Again, you can.

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

You're saying that it's a better use of money to piss it away on LJ + his back room staff wages, and spaff the level of financial investment that LJ has on 50+ players, all to achieve a main course of bland, flavourless football with a side order of squad mismanagement and relentless PR nonsense?

It s u r e l y has to be a better investment now to get a higher quality coach in, and spend more wisely on a smaller number of players - than spending on a vast array of players who haven't really cut the mustard?

I think our squad is not bad, the problem is who is coaching and leading it!

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Again, you can.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Again, you can.

No you can’t. You can blame a manager for a poor performance, poor tactics, poor attitude etc. You can’t blame them for the result if those aspects were positive 

18 minutes ago, keflav said:

and there lies a massive part of the LJ problem, he's not worried as SL wont sack him as he just don't give a shit about the people who make it Bristol city... THE SUPPORTERS..

I agree the supporters don't count but customers do the Lansdowns North Korean PR reference refunds and options over options speak volumes 

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Right, I feel that this has been said way too many times on here but may as well say it again. 

There is a huge gulf financially between rugby and football in this country, Bristol are probably one of the best paying sides in the UK and yet, perhaps 4-5 players aside are spending league one wages on their squad, and I’d presume staff. In fact, in 2021 the rugby salary cap for the whole squad will be cut to £5 million a year, which equates to around £95k a week, less than many premier league footballers are on individually and a drop in the ocean compared to the championship. 

So it’s a pointless argument as rugby and football are so different financially, just because Lansdown is able to appoint one of the best coaches in world rugby for Bris, doesn’t mean he can for us

But what it does show is he is able to pick a top coach for Bristol Bears and yet is usually incapable of picking a good manager for City. My guess is that with the Rugby he had a lot of advice from knowledgeable people in the hierarchy at Bristol Bears. But maybe he thinks he knows football better and takes less advice and makes decisions himself which lead to us having Johnson and a number of very questionable managers under Lansdown 

9 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Thought we played well. Very encouraging. Team certainly didn’t look like they’d downed tools. Can’t blame Johnson for tonight’s result. Team we’re organised and well set up 

We lost again, didn't score, had two shots on target, and one of our players went loopy. 

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'll tell you what mate, he's lucky games are BCD because the reaction he would get from a crowd right now would be beyond toxic! I'm glad players like Massengo and Vyner won't be exposed to that. At least until crowds are allowed again!

Yeah that’s a good call. I think I said before the restart that it would come down to how good a coach/tactician LJ was with a fit squad and home advantages stripped away - with how we’ve played (before today), the patience would have been very low 

6 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Our lack of creativity, chances and cohesion are a direct result of not only tactics and coaching but mismanagement of resource during this period.

It was an average performance at best.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Again, there’s a major difference. Bristol were a premiership side when Lam joined, getting some of the highest crowds in Europe and littered with some talented players. In fact, only 15 years earlier they’d been in Europe, the footballing equaivalent is maybe Newcastle getting Benitez. So for Lam this was a project that we certainly aren’t for any football manager

Incorrect JBFC II, Lam joined Bris in the Chamionship and romped to the title winning all but one game. Biggest side in that division by an absolute mile granted but they were NOT in the top flight when Lam joined. He joined because of the 'vision' and not for the money, apparently. ?

https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/teams/coaching/pat-lam/

The Bristol Bears top coach comparison isn’t fair. Hiring a top coach in rugby is within site of the finances of Bristol sport. Hiring a top coach for city is not. That’s the difference between footy and rugby finances. We are big fishes in egg throwing but not in football. 

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Incorrect JBFC II, Lam joined Bris in the Chamionship and romped to the title winning all but one game. Biggest side in that division by an absolute mile granted but they were NOT in the top flight when Lam joined. He joined because of the 'vision' and not for the money, apparently. ?

https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/teams/coaching/pat-lam/

He agreed to join whilst we were still in the premiership, January 2017 iirc. At that stage relegation looked very likely but we were still a premiership side at least for 5 more months. Actually took over when we were in the championship though, maybe I should have made that clear

27 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

But what it does show is he is able to pick a top coach for Bristol Bears and yet is usually incapable of picking a good manager for City. My guess is that with the Rugby he had a lot of advice from knowledgeable people in the hierarchy at Bristol Bears. But maybe he thinks he knows football better and takes less advice and makes decisions himself which lead to us having Johnson and a number of very questionable managers under Lansdown 

Again though, it’s much easier to pick a top coach for Bristol than it is for us as financially he’s got more of a chance. That being said, LJ is very much the safe choice for us, hopefully SL can push the boat out more with his next appointment 

Just now, JBFC II said:

He agreed to join whilst we were still in the premiership, January 2017 iirc. At that stage relegation looked very likely but we were still a premiership side at least for 5 more months. Actually took over when we were in the championship though, maybe I should have made that clear

May well have done. Good knowledge, I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

It’s not a pointless argument at all.  The rugby recruitment team have proven that they have the nouse and the attributes to find and secure the services of a top coach.  Yes the amount of top teams in rugby is smaller but so is the pool of talented coaches - much smaller.  And Bris have got one of the best.  
There is a huge pool of talented football managers out there and we are in one of the top 5 richest leagues with one of the richest owners in the country. Yes FFP but you cannot tell me given the investment in the team over the last couple of years that we couldn’t spend some of that investment on the manager and afford a Hughton, a Jokanavic, a McCarthy, a Van Bommel, Adkins etc (I’m just picking out some names there). No one is asking or expecting a top top coach that is the football equivalent of Pat Lam - that would be a Pep or a Jose or a Klopp and would be unrealistic - but we just need someone consummate with the stated aims and ambitions of the club and LJ has proven that he is not that person. 

Of course we need someone to take the club to the next level, I just don’t see why comparing our aims to those of Bristol rugby is of any use. The recruitment team did an excellent job to get Lam in, but again, as you point out, the comparisons in calibre of manager just highlight how pointless comparing us to the rugby really is

Archived