Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

LJ - "that was a very very good performance"


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Played fine today - nothing outstanding as LJ makes out though. 

As I’ve said before - tonight isn’t the reason he should go. It’s the backwards steps over this season and especially this 9 game winless streak. 

Don’t worry, we’re about to win our remaining six games 😂🤦‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m done with this season, it was always going to be a crapshoot with the time off anyway.

I didn’t miss having football on as much as I expected.

The games since being back haven’t really enticed me back...

I’m bailing until next season, see you all then!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

The old adage is that a successful team are able to win/grind out a good result, even when they play poorly or not to their best level of performance.  The one thing we have been able to do under LJ's managerial time (which must surely be over very soon) is an ability, when on a good LJ streak, to grind out a good result, especially away from home in the last 2 seasons. And that is fine, results are everything.  But when you lose that ability ie we took the lead against Blackburn against the run of play then capitulated, and in the last 2 games we have started brightly, not had the ruthlessness to take advantage, let in a goal and never looked like getting anything out of the game.  

LJ has had many extreme winning and losing streaks. Although we never know why they are so extreme, every team has a poor patch in a season.  But for a promotion chasing team a poor run is, say, having a run of 4 games when you only win 1, draw 2 and lose 2. Since we beat Derby, we have gained 2 points from 8 games.  Over a season a point per game would normally get you relegated.  And we NEVER have a good run when going to in the business end of the season with a play off place at stake.  This club, but particular this manager has the softes of soft underbellies.  

Basically, if you lose playing badly, lose when playing a bit better, and these bad streaks happen 2 or 3 times a season, it is time to get rid of the bloke in charge.

That’s 5 games

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Better than the last two games? Yes

However, still poor. 
 

Do not be brainwashed folks into thinking that was a good performance tonight by Johnson.

Can I ask why that was poor??? We looked comfortable for majority of the game, kept the ball well and limited them to 1/2 chances of which they scored a fab free kick???

I was happy with the performance today, just needed that killer finish. Defence was good, midfield very good and great options up top with plenty of movement. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, redpole said:

Can I ask why that was poor??? We looked comfortable for majority of the game, kept the ball well and limited them to 1/2 chances of which they scored a fab free kick???

I was happy with the performance today, just needed that killer finish. Defence was good, midfield very good and great options up top with plenty of movement. 
 

What was poor was the lack of creativity and no intention to attack 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, redpole said:

Can I ask why that was poor??? We looked comfortable for majority of the game, kept the ball well and limited them to 1/2 chances of which they scored a fab free kick???

I was happy with the performance today, just needed that killer finish. Defence was good, midfield very good and great options up top with plenty of movement. 
 

You are happy creating 1 half decent chance per game? Putting in lots of bad crosses?and lacking any creativity?

If you are genuinely wanting to be anywhere near the top of this league when you go to forest and they fail to turn up you simply have to win. I reckon other than us every other side in the top 12/15 in this league wins with forest playing like that. 

Edited by Spud55
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know people don’t want to hear this but we did play well & if we had played like this over the last 9 games more would be happy.

At the moment there is a hell of a lot of hindsight & sadly people wanting us to lose so they can bang their “LJ out” drum, but we were the better side first half against a top six side & on the balance of the game, deserved a point.

Not what many want to hear at present though, is it?

Had we got something from the last two games and still been in touch with the play-offs, then I would agree that was a good performance which deserved a point.

However recent results meant that this was a must win game and, much as we controlled possession and looked way more composed and organised than we have been at late, we did not do anywhere near enough to deserve to win it.

Tonight was sh!t or bust and- even had it not been for Weimann’s area - the rest of the performance got us sitting on the toilet but only really produced a squeaky fart.

Nine games like that and we would have probably been positioned much better than we are now but that was not the performance we needed given what was at stake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, redpole said:

Can I ask why that was poor??? We looked comfortable for majority of the game, kept the ball well and limited them to 1/2 chances of which they scored a fab free kick???

I was happy with the performance today, just needed that killer finish. Defence was good, midfield very good and great options up top with plenty of movement. 
 

We could have been out all night and couldn’t have scored. Forest didn’t need to do much and still picked up a win.

Sorry, things have been so bad in such a long time. That people obviously see tonight’s performance as good and somewhat acceptable. That’s how low the bar is right now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

You are happy creating 1 half decent chance per game? Putting in lots of bad crosses?and lacking any creativity?

If you are genuinely wanting to be anywhere near the top of this league when you go to forest and they fail to turn up you simply have to win. I reckon other than us every other side in the top 12/15 in this league wins with forest playing like that. 

Things is though, did they fail to turn up cause we played so well for majority of the game and we nullified their chances???

We created 3/4 great chances where we should have scored. So you have to blame strikers for not taking chances. You can’t blame LJ, he set side up against a very good forest side and we controlled it for most of it. 
can you blame him for strikers not taking the chances?? Can you blame LJ for Weimann making a rash challenge?? The answers NO!  Can you give LJ credit for the way he set the team up and how they played??? Yes! 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

We could have been out all night and couldn’t have scored. Forest didn’t need to do much and still picked up a win.

Sorry, things have been so bad in such a long time. That people obviously see tonight’s performance as good and somewhat acceptable. That’s how low the bar is right now.

You can’t Blame LJ for people not taking their chances!! Wells had a chance and so did Afobe and these are players that fans have been calling for. I’m not saying they are bad players, they have just had a bad night . What I’m saying is you can’t blame LJ for them not taking their chances. All fans want to do is have a go at LJ and not think of the positives of the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, redpole said:

Things is though, did they fail to turn up cause we played so well for majority of the game and we nullified their chances???

We created 3/4 great chances where we should have scored. So you have to blame strikers for not taking chances. You can’t blame LJ, he set side up against a very good forest side and we controlled it for most of it. 
can you blame him for strikers not taking the chances?? Can you blame LJ for Weimann making a rash challenge?? The answers NO!  Can you give LJ credit for the way he set the team up and how they played??? Yes! 
 

 

Bullshit, sky have us down as having 1 chance and that was Beniks header late on that was hardly a sitter. We had no guilt edge chances, and to say we should have scored 3/4 is just delusional.

No I won't give Johnson credit as it is yet another case of him just randomly trying formations and teams until he by luck more than skill gets it right, and I can't really say that a game with 2 shots on target is something we should be happy about. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, redpole said:

You can’t Blame LJ for people not taking their chances!! Wells had a chance and so did Afobe and these are players that fans have been calling for. I’m not saying they are bad players, they have just had a bad night . What I’m saying is you can’t blame LJ for them not taking their chances. All fans want to do is have a go at LJ and not think of the positives of the game. 

I’d accept Wells had a chance he should have scored v Wednesday but I don’t think a couple of half chances can be translated into “the players should have scored”. The reality is we created no clear cut chances tonight and the strikers were feeding off scraps.

Smith and Nagy did well and even  the dreaded O’Dowda was not bad but the simple fact is we lacked players who can make a killer pass or cross and organised teams who defend against us are very likely to blunt us.

It was not the forwards - they had a couple of okay chances but certainly nothing you could call a clear goalscoring opportunity. Tonight was an industrious midfield performance but the final ball was lacking and we never seriously threatened their goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is some Trumpesque alternate reality dishonesty saying that was a “very very good performance”.

First half we were the better side but we didn’t exactly lay siege to the Forest goal; their goal, superb freekick though it was, came about because we incompetently managed to turn a promising-looking attack into desperate, cynical defending. Their goal completely knocked the stuffing out of us and we seldom looked capable of clawing our way back into the game. Forest comfortably rode out the lengthy injury time in a way a Johnson side could only dream of.

Afobe couldn’t hit the target with a free header. Numerous corners came to nothing, wayward crosses sailed aimlessly wide and out for a goal kick or thrown-in.

Thinking ahead to Saturday I’m having distressing flashbacks to a few years back when that horrible mob from across the Severn stuck six goals past us without reply at our place. Might not be quite so horrific in terms of the scoreline but it’s going to be behind-the-sofa stuff if the Clueless One is still in the dugout to mastermind another inevitably rubbish display.

No, Lee, it wasn’t anything approaching a good performance. Three seasons running we’ve flirted with the playoffs and then fallen apart long before crunch time. Please, please, please do the noble thing and fall on your sword. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

We just don't create enough chances, ok play tonight and nice to seem some effort and intensity for once but Forest were always going to get chances and scored.

We just don't create chances and it often costs us that tonight sadly remains unchanged, LJ has run out of credit when results really matter.

He needs go and quickly, any legacy is fast being eroded.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Bullshit, sky have us down as having 1 chance and that was Beniks header late on that was hardly a sitter. We had no guilt edge chances, and to say we should have scored 3/4 is just delusional.

No I won't give Johnson credit as it is yet another case of him just randomly trying formations and teams until he by luck more than skill gets it right, and I can't really say that a game with 2 shots on target is something we should be happy about. 

 

I think a lot of posters on here are a bit punch drunk, we have been battered that many times so when we',re not absolute carp they grasp at anything our record over the last 8 games or so is lamentable however it's dressed up, it's a results business in any other profession he would have lost his job. I know if I had had as many off days as LJ my feet wouldn't have touched the floor.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Super said:

Exactly. Not sure why people are saying we had no chances.

 

49 minutes ago, Lez said:

Bar 1 they were half chances at best.

I thought the Afobe  bullet header from a Wells cross was a good chance, but the rest were half chances. What I found more worrying was, apart from when Afobe  cut in from the left and shot,  most (all?) of the other chances in the match came from crosses. This seems to be City’s default option. There’s not much in the way of creativity to produce fast moves that pass the ball on the ground. City’s play is usually so slow the opposition always has time to regroup and defend. The BBC stats show City had 56% possession but that’s meaningless as the possession rarely put pressure on the opposition 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pillred said:

I think a lot of posters on here are a bit punch drunk, we have been battered that many times so when we',re not absolute carp they grasp at anything our record over the last 8 games or so is lamentable however it's dressed up, it's a results business in any other profession he would have lost his job. I know if I had had as many off days as LJ my feet wouldn't have touched the floor.  

To be honest, I think tonight set a bare minimum standard for an acceptable performance. The defeat was harsh but a win would have been generous. We were okay but, if we want to be serious play off candidates, what we did tonight is the minimum we need to do week in, week out.

This level of performance would be encouraging in September but with seven games to go and a need to win to be in the play off chase, it certainly is not enough.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pongo88 said:

 

I thought the Afobe  bullet header from a Wells cross was a good chance, but the rest were half chances. What I found more worrying was, apart from when Afobe  cut in from the left and shot,  most (all?) of the other chances in the match came from crosses. This seems to be City’s default option. There’s not much in the way of creativity to produce fast moves that pass the ball on the ground. City’s play is usually so slow the opposition always has time to regroup and defend. The BBC stats show City had 56% possession but that’s meaningless as the possession rarely put pressure on the opposition 

What I found more worrying than that still is that, on the whole, our crosses were not great. Not a good thing is we are relying on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Redpool said:

We could have been out all night and couldn’t have scored. Forest didn’t need to do much and still picked up a win.

Sorry, things have been so bad in such a long time. That people obviously see tonight’s performance as good and somewhat acceptable. That’s how low the bar is right now.

Spot on

Today’s game was certainly an improvement on the previous two matches, especially the first half. The problem is, that’s not saying a lot, as you say, the bar was set so low after Blackburn and Wednesday.

It’s so obvious we need fresh ideas and it’s equally obvious that LJ isn’t the person to provide them.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone continued listening after the Great Man's interview Twentymans program got much better.

First an old interview with Buster Footman, {2017} then a live chat with Wilbs.  The last hour was so much better than the first three.

Cheered me up no end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it we didn't create/have a single proper chance. Plenty of possession but no end product. Bentley offered two thirds of the goal to the free kick taker ......I would have been disappointed if I'd not beaten him from there. Ashley , well, you are a cock. It's my birthday Saturday and the only thing I can now look forward to this season is doing the double over Baaadiff. Pathetic. Embarrassing. But I'll be back in the ground come September as will pretty much everyone on here. COYR's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We played better  than the last two games and at least found some passes, however our crossing was piss piss piss poor. We have Wells Afobi and Fam to hit and we were putting it over them.

Their goalkeeper never made a save worthy of the word and Bentley’s positioning at the free kick was worthy of the Dog n Duck second 11. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again we just create too few chances. Eighth game in a row where we've had fewer shots than the opposition.* Yet again though the few we had were of good quality. As people say, you have to make those chances count and today we just didn't do that.

At least today we played entertaining football for 30 minutes instead of the 15 we managed on Sunday.

*We've actually only outshot our opponents 7 (seven) times this season. How you can expect to be top 6 with an attack that shot shy I do not know.

Edited by ExiledAjax
Link to post
Share on other sites

For 45 minutes, we played better than we did in the previous 180. To add context, that was against a Forest side who are happy out of possession and the fact we only tested their keeper twice shows we didn’t make the most of that encouraging first-half display. 

Amid a background of seven defeats in the last ten either side of having three months off to come up with a system to suit the players we have, that first half tonight is a thin straw to be clutching at. 

I can’t believe Johnson says we have a chance, presumably on making the play-offs, if we perform like we did in the first half for the rest of our games. Two shots on target, another soft goal against, and ill discipline adds fuel to the flames that he’s lost the plot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We played better  than the last two games and at least found some passes, however our crossing was piss piss piss poor. We have Wells Afobi and Fam to hit and we were putting it over them.

Their goalkeeper never made a save worthy of the word and Bentley’s positioning at the free kick was worthy of the Dog n Duck second 11. 

 

We had no one out there who can cross a ball. Our two full backs taking every set piece. Hardly renowned for a decent cross are they.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...