IGNORED

Nakhi Wells getting an easy ride

Olé

To be clear I think LJ's time is up in spite of so many phenomenal away performances in the past two years, overall we are regressing - but for a change of topic could someone please tell me why Nahki Wells is getting such an easy ride?

We won four games in a row with Famara at the backend of January, often as lone striker, often without conceding a goal, but as soon as we made room for Wells, we've shipped goals and won just one game since he started (3-2 vs Derby)

Anyone with eyes can see he doesn't want to be here, probably didn't want to leave QPR, even today, which for me having stood through every game is easily the best 45 I've seen all season, Wells is the odd one out in an energetic team.

On Sunday he was slow to get the through ball chance out of his feet, and today Afobe, O'Dowda and Weimann easily did most of the pressing while Wells drifted half heartedly and never really got in the game. I do not believe he's up for it.

The easy excuse is he is a fox in the box - but that's just not true, I remember him scoring goals from all over for QPR and for Huddersfield, which is why he was/is so rated. For us he scores 2 yard headers and rarely does anything else.

Take away his nod ins and he is a terrible signing that upset the balance of the team and at £5m and going on 30 is largely a massive panic buy waste of money. Look at the stat sites and his data is pretty terrible across his games for us.

As LJ says, the form has been awful, but someone please tell me why Wells record in exactly the same run bears so little scrutiny. The pieces fell into place with the Brownhill deal and anxiety about another striker, but he has been ****.

A tad harsh considering he hasn't long joined, been benched already a couple of times and then the long break. What's he scored? 3? In how many 7 starts? Add that hes got no form off supply. The squad changes every game. It's no surprise people are struggling.

Think hes carrying a knock as wasnt involved in friendly at Southampton and wasnt involved in training leading to restart, think he needs time to settle and if anything adjust to trying live off scraps, on sunday he was asked to play the role firmino plays for liverpool going by LJ interviews, 3 goals in 6 starts isnt a bad start mind

@Olé he is a shadow of the player I wanted here.

LJ has called him out 3 or 4 times since he arrived. I can’t remember him saying anything positive like he does with others.  He’s LJ’s magpie signing....ooooh shiny new object, must have it.  I’m not sure how he envisaged him fitting in.  As you say we’d just win games with Fam up top on his own.

I thought his movement tonight helped Afobe get free but he looks devoid of confidence.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think the perception is that if we give him the ball in dangerous areas, he'll score. But we haven't done that. I'd imagine his XG is not far off the 3 goals he's scored!

E84B10ED-848B-44C7-A3B7-28FF1ED5CDAC.jpeg.945e46995824e2d5dac684dd8879b544.jpeg
BB6D6C1B-C850-4E29-9DDF-F8CAE2BB12E0.jpeg.4720c4e666b8420f152b90f93b7c2499.jpeg

Not an easy graph to read, but top pic is xG, bottom one is goals. Dotted line is xG per 90 / Goals per 90.

His hatrick was from an xG of circa 1.0

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone said it was a signing that wouldn’t work out and that person got loads of aubergines. Can’t think who it was though....

Not a player that suits how we play at all and I didn’t think we could or would adapt to suit him. 

You must be the only person who ‘knows’ how we play!!!!

Can you let the rest of us know!

i dont think hes unhappy here, i dont think its his mindset.

i think hes doing what nakki wells does, hes a poacher, never really impresses over a whole game but will take a chance when it comes.

i do think today he was very poor and his only real contribution was poor passing and giving the ball away.

however if the chance that afobe had in injury time i think wells would have taken it.

id rather see fammy and 1 other anyway.  

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone said it was a signing that wouldn’t work out and that person got loads of aubergines. Can’t think who it was though....

Not a player that suits how we play at all and I didn’t think we could or would adapt to suit him. 

How do we play?

Just now, milo1111 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he came good under a new manager who knows how to get the best out of him. 

Agreed. I think he's had a relatively small sample size of games to judge him from - and he's still managed to get a few goals. That's before you factor in covid disruption.

I think him and Afobe could be a very strong partnership when they've played together a bit. 

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Olé he is a shadow of the player I wanted here.

LJ has called him out 3 or 4 times since he arrived. I can’t remember him saying anything positive like he does with others.  He’s LJ’s magpie signing....ooooh shiny new object, must have it.  I’m not sure how he envisaged him fitting in.  As you say we’d just win games with Fam up top on his own.

I thought his movement tonight helped Afobe get free but he looks devoid of confidence.

Again Johnson hangs his players out to dry in public, no wonder his confidence is shot, in and out of the team I imagine he wonders why he was signed. 

Warburton had no problem utilising his skillset. Same with Palmer, Eliasson, Nagy, Diedhou and the list goes on and on.. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

To be clear I think LJ's time is up in spite of so many phenomenal away performances in the past two years, overall we are regressing - but for a change of topic could someone please tell me why Nahki Wells is getting such an easy ride?

We won four games in a row with Famara at the backend of January, often as lone striker, often without conceding a goal, but as soon as we made room for Wells, we've shipped goals and won just one game since he started (3-2 vs Derby)

Anyone with eyes can see he doesn't want to be here, probably didn't want to leave QPR, even today, which for me having stood through every game is easily the best 45 I've seen all season, Wells is the odd one out in an energetic team.

On Sunday he was slow to get the through ball chance out of his feet, and today Afobe, O'Dowda and Weimann easily did most of the pressing while Wells drifted half heartedly and never really got in the game. I do not believe he's up for it.

The easy excuse is he is a fox in the box - but that's just not true, I remember him scoring goals from all over for QPR and for Huddersfield, which is why he was/is so rated. For us he scores 2 yard headers and rarely does anything else.

Take away his nod ins and he is a terrible signing that upset the balance of the team and at £5m and going on 30 is largely a massive panic buy waste of money. Look at the stat sites and his data is pretty terrible across his games for us.

As LJ says, the form has been awful, but someone please tell me why Wells record in exactly the same run bears so little scrutiny. The pieces fell into place with the Brownhill deal and anxiety about another striker, but he has been ****.

Oh god here we go a new scape goat and everyone seems to know he’s unhappy here.

id be unhappy if I was him absolutely zero service since he’s joined us and has still scored 3 goals in 6/7 games where he’s been in the right position at the right time! 

I cannot recall one clear chance where someone’s passed or supplied him with a chance that he’s then missed? Love to be proved wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Might also have something to do with losing Brownhill, once he went, the midfield lacked any sort of energy and is usually completely over-run, putting pressure on our defence. 

Bang on. Absolutely no midfield whatsoever. Naggy was better tonight that was promising big literally no energy in the middle. Smith plays way to deep and is limited/not what he was. 

We have a playing strategy and buy players with the skill set to fit that strategy. 

Our strategy appears random chaos. 

Random signings fit with the strategy and produce chaos.

To blame Wells for sub-standard performances is a little harsh in this context. 

Said it since the restart and watching them play together, I don't think you can have Nahki Wells and Benik Afobe upfront together, I think either would work better with Diedhiou or Weimann don't get the feeling they'll work together well.

Usually I think you are spot on Ole.

Not this time.

Wells came on the expectation of promotion in a side 'on the up'

He's clearly not a fan of LJ bullshit and has probably made that clear to anyone who will listen - inc LJ.

So now he is the LJ whipping boy in public - if I was nearly leading the championship scoring race and then found myself being lectured about my boots, movement, not following instructions etc etc pretty much every presser - I'd be pissed as well.

LJ goes, he improves.

LJ stays - he's off - along with many others.

I wouldn't let him take a penalty while LJ is here either!  ?

Another player who has had all his natural ability coached out of him.

Either LJ goes or I can see a heck of a lot of players leaving.....

Archived