IGNORED

Nakhi Wells getting an easy ride

Olé

On 02/07/2020 at 09:33, maxjak said:

My thoughts exactly.....Vydra is younger and quicker, and would have suited our style much better,  LJ had the choice between the two........guess what, he got it wrong?

I don't know if Vydra was available in fairness but if he was, he undoubtedly should have been the first choice of the two- IMO. Agree with your post too though I'm not particularity disappointed with Wells.

On 02/07/2020 at 01:32, SX227 said:

Usually I think you are spot on Ole.

Not this time.

Wells came on the expectation of promotion in a side 'on the up'

He's clearly not a fan of LJ bullshit and has probably made that clear to anyone who will listen - inc LJ.

So now he is the LJ whipping boy in public - if I was nearly leading the championship scoring race and then found myself being lectured about my boots, movement, not following instructions etc etc pretty much every presser - I'd be pissed as well.

LJ goes, he improves.

LJ stays - he's off - along with many others.

I wouldn't let him take a penalty while LJ is here either!  ?

Another player who has had all his natural ability coached out of him.

Either LJ goes or I can see a heck of a lot of players leaving.....

I like this a lot. ??????

On 02/07/2020 at 02:32, City_USA said:

"Either LJ goes or I can see a heck of a lot of players leaving....."

Sad but true

I don’t subscribe to the “lost the dressing room” term, but I can imagine lots of the rolling of eyes, and if Wells is used to be being able to speak up, he isn’t  gonna change now.

On 02/07/2020 at 10:20, robin_unreliant said:

I'm also wondering if signing Afobe on a permanent deal would turn out to be another mistake. Could be a lot of money tied up in two strikers who don't appear to be a good pairing. 

Would you spend any cash in the current financial climate and uncertainty? 

Possibly when we signed him we weren't expecting him and Afobe to both be available for selection, at least not until the last couple of games/play offs ? 

Now we're trying to shoe-horn the 2 of them and Diedhou at the same time and 3 into 2 won't go. 

Dreadful management to call him out as unprofessional over choice of boots/studs though. 

20 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Would you spend any cash in the current financial climate and uncertainty? 

Pre-covid, I was hoping the option to buy was £3-4m, but Gregor reckons it’s £7-8m.

Post-covid everything looks a lot!!

If LJ is still in charge, then I’d tell him “you bought Wells, get on with making him better”.

On 02/07/2020 at 08:33, JonDolman said:

Johnson at fault. 

Wells better as number 9 with creativity behind him.

We are not playing to his strengths. So will probably get less out of him.

I do believe though that he may work in a front 2 as well. But we need to sort out how to create from our midfield.

Johnson has to take blame as I can't imagine it was recruitment that made him sign a prolific goalscorer at this level. 

Surely this was one LJ really wanted. He said he needs a goalscorer and he has one.

No excuses.

On 02/07/2020 at 00:15, alexukhc said:

Only we can buy One of the best strikers in the division and turn him into dogshite

I was going to write that again he is one of those players that looks better playing in another team. But you have put it so much better.

Yes it must be hard for players joining in January, but loads move and make an instant impact. I guess with deals like the Brownhill one that all parties must be happy and there is an unbalance here. Add to that playing out of position, the covid break and various sub appearances and it has been unsettling, especially when the change of team formation and tactics are factored in too. 

Wells was never the answer to our problems.  He was a panic buy.  Now he's another square peg round hole conundrum.  A player should be bought to fit the system (which we don't have), not bought and then make up a system to fit.  Another shambolic transfer.  

I don’t think Wells is in any sense as a lost cause but I think he has been a victim of an out of sorts team, a manager that does not know his best formation and a generally unsettling eight months.

I suspect it is true he would have rather stayed at QPR but think his time here could still be a success. It would take much better management though.

Wells has done OK so far, not set the world alight but OK. Of course he'd benefit from more creativity behind him, every striker would, but they also have to play their part. They have to be in tune with the creative player. It's no good the creative player passing into the right channel if the striker runs left. They shouldn't be static in the box either. They have to do their best to meet the cross, by running across the front or dropping off behind the defender, and they need to be strong. When Matty Cash cleared from under his bar on Wednesday night, Wells could have been more aggressive. Many strikers of old would have taken Cash, the ball and themselves into the net. 

25 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Wells was never the answer to our problems.  He was a panic buy.  Now he's another square peg round hole conundrum.  A player should be bought to fit the system (which we don't have), not bought and then make up a system to fit.  Another shambolic transfer.  

I’ve wanted Wells here for quite a few years, but he’s always been a bit out of our reach.

At the January window he was in reach, so we bought him....but it appears without much thought about how we fit him in.

Wells doesn’t look happy, but nirvwoukd is with the head coach calling me out every press conference either.

I suspect Fam is a bit pissed off that as leading scorer he doesn’t start.

Ok, players are never happy when they aren’t playing, but most accept it when it’s based on clear selection criteria, e.g. playing well, scoring goals etc.  When some players are being regardless, results are poor, then things come to the surface.

Since Wells arrived, results have matched performance pretty closely.

We played well at Derby and Fulham, and ok v Forest, the rest have been below par.  In those games we have started with the same formation as the previous game twice.  And in one of those we swapped mid game.

The Head coach is using guesswork.

If we want to get the best out of this squad, Wells included, we need a new head coach.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

without much thought about how we fit him in.

Sums up most signings under Johnson  to be honest . Can you imagine the first conversation between them.

”if I sign for you , how do you see me playing lee” 

up front with benik , with Kasey in behind you both pulling the strings. You’ll get plenty of chances like you did with Eze at QPR. 

brilliant I’ll sign then. 

first training session ?

I don’t think Wells has done particularly well in his brief stint so far, if his lack of effort and misplaced passes had been Diedhou all hell would have broken loose. In hindsight, his signing wasn’t needed ( an expensive older signing) and the Nketiah saga almost forced us into it, where again, in hindsight a younger up and coming  player with some pace would have suited us. We just don’t have enough pace in the team. We cant stretch teams. We are a bit of a hotch potch of a team player wise and the style reflects that, unfortunately LJ has tarnished all the good work he had done and I will always go back to us losing Bobby Reid and getting Weimann as the first example him just not getting it right.

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Too much reliance on data results, forgetting the human element to a player’s game. Stats don’t have all the answers.

Yep, and I love stats, but the one I love best is Goals For v Goals Against each game ?

Thomas Frank was interviewed earlier in this season, and Brentford is stats-heavy, but he said (paraphrased) “I watch with my eyes, see things, then I go and check if the data shows the same as my eyes.....it usually does”

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sums up most signings under Johnson  to be honest . Can you imagine the first conversation between them.

”if I sign for you , how do you see me playing lee” 

up front with benik , with Kasey in behind you both pulling the strings. You’ll get plenty of chances like you did with Eze at QPR. 

brilliant I’ll sign then. 

first training session ?

On a serious point you do wonder how he sold City to Wells (and others) don’t you?

Do you think Kalas signed thinking he’d play alongside Webster this season?  I know players move on all the time, but it would not surprise me if Tomas was told “we ain’t selling Webster for any amount of money”.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, and I love stats, but the one I love best is Goals For v Goals Against each game ?

Thomas Frank was interviewed earlier in this season, and Brentford is stats-heavy, but he said (paraphrased) “I watch with my eyes, see things, then I go and check if the data shows the same as my eyes.....it usually does”

On a serious point you do wonder how he sold City to Wells (and others) don’t you?

Do you think Kalas signed thinking he’d play alongside Webster this season?  I know players move on all the time, but it would not surprise me if Tomas was told “we ain’t selling Webster for any amount of money”.

Well, without trying to sound nasty and I really don’t want to get personal with LJ.

its become quite apparent he’s full of bluff and nonsense . His recent press conferences have highlighted this. 
To be blunt , he’s a billy bullshitter. 

3 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I don’t think Wells has done particularly well in his brief stint so far,

Can’t argue with that, but he still has 3 in 7 starts without contributing much else

if his lack of effort and misplaced passes had been Diedhou all hell would have broken loose.

Agree, he has escaped a bit of flak...but the head coach has no qualms about throwing him under the bus.

In hindsight, his signing wasn’t needed ( an expensive older signing) and the Nketiah saga almost forced us into it, where again, in hindsight a younger up and coming  player with some pace would have suited us. We just don’t have enough pace in the team. We cant stretch teams.

the stupid thing is that’s exactly what Wells used to do for Huddersfield, less at QPR.  It’s why I always thought he’d be a good fit for us (not for LJ necessarily!!)

We are a bit of a hotch potch of a team player wise and the style reflects that, unfortunately LJ has tarnished all the good work he had done and I will always go back to us losing Bobby Reid and getting Weimann as the first example him just not getting it right.

Weimann was a good signing imho.  Play him as the main striker, and he is a different beast.  Paired with Pato as the 10, or Matty Taylor as they secondary striker, and you see a very different striker to the one paired with Diedhiou, or the one forced to play right wing.  In fact, you either play Diedhiou on his own, or not at all....he never forms a partnership.  Wells and Weimann v Fulham looked encouraging.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Well, without trying to sound nasty and I really don’t want to get personal with LJ.

its become quite apparent he’s full of bluff and nonsense . His recent press conferences have highlighted this. 
To be blunt , he’s a billy bullshitter. 

Nothing nasty in that. ?

I do have to ask how many of you have played football,wells has no service has been in and out of the team like a bloody yoyo,anyone will tell you who has played football there is nothing worse than having manager that has no confidence in you,all are centre forwards are half decent but they don't get a run of games to prove it,lets be bloody honest here not one of are players are guaranteed there spot on a Saturday,imagine turning up every week not knowing if your playing or not is a shite feeling.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Nothing nasty in that. ?

It’s a difficult one Dave . I really want him out of our club and have done for a year or more, but. You can see the pressure getting to him . He looks tired and his press conferences have been bizarre to say the least . I’d like him to come back in future (managing someone else ) and get remembered fondly . If this carries on much longer ,  There’s a chance he will become hated. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Yeah, I’m not saying Weimann was a bad signing but repacking Reid was never going to be easy and required a change of approach but Lj and the fans wanted to see the football of that season the next season albeit with more consistency/fitness and Weimann was never going to enable that. I believe Wells is a decent player and maybe with Weimann like at Fulham would be decent but it’s not the direction we should have gone, its affected the rest of the team. Which in turn has led LJ into this ‘throwing players under the bus’ which in turn has led to the players simply not putting in the required effort , since Tomlin, LJ hasn’t trusted ‘flair players’ and KP (although unlike many fans, i think he would require a change in style, which would take a lot longer than LJ implied) to not be trusted even though he hasn’t really shown Tomlins negative attributes.

In short i think LJ has reacted far too much instead of doing what he did when he started out and that has led to a dysfunctional team and system and treatment of players. 

23 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s a difficult one Dave . I really want him out of our club and have done for a year or more, but. You can see the pressure getting to him . He looks tired and his press conferences have been bizarre to say the least . I’d like him to come back in future (managing someone else ) and get remembered fondly . If this carries on much longer ,  There’s a chance he will become hated. 

I really want him to succeed here, but over 2 years I continue to see massive flaws, the sane flaws.  We harp on about 17/18, but in reality it was 4 months only (so not even half of the season).  The 14 game unbeaten run last season was great results wise, but performances were t great, but churlish to moan...you take your points when you can...but we were bottom half until that run!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really want him to succeed here, but over 2 years I continue to see massive flaws, the sane flaws.  We harp on about 17/18, but in reality it was 4 months only (so not even half of the season).  The 14 game unbeaten run last season was great results wise, but performances were t great, but churlish to moan...you take your points when you can...but we were bottom half until that run!

I should add to my previous post . I did want him to succeed as we all would of any manager . However I see no way back for him now. I know it’s only a minority of our fanbase on here or social media , but even mates who are not on either want him gone now. His position is untenable imo 

Just now, Badger08 said:

Can we stop this nonsense of "he doesn't want to be here"?

He's looking like he's really enjoying it at the moment. Looks like he's having fun in training.

Can we stop making stuff up? 

His body language is completely different now.

Hoping he will be the threat we know he is next season.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He doesn't want to be here? ?

I know you obviously are disagreeing with people saying that, but how funny is that!

Worked very hard every game he has played. Doesn't stop running. Probably does not ideally suit him how we play, but was very effective today alongside Fam.

And what an incredible goal that was. And 2nd was the kind of chance I want him to get more regularly.

He could be a fantastic signing for us if we get the best out of him. Scores goals from anywhere with either foot and very good in the air too.

According to Colin in his post match interview it wasn't an incredible goal. He claims Nahki was just trying to stick the ball in the box and never intended to score.

I suppose if all your team does is stick the ball in the box and hope for the best it is easy to assume that's what everybody else does.

I'm surprised he didn't claim that Pato's goal was a mishit cross.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

According to Colin in his post match interview it wasn't an incredible goal. He claims Nahki was just trying to stick the ball in the box and never intended to score.

I suppose if all your team does is stick the ball in the box and hope for the best it is easy to assume that's what everybody else does.

I'm surprised he didn't claim that Pato's goal was a mishit cross.

He actually said that? ?

Archived