IGNORED

Maenpaa

Davefevs

18 minutes ago, krxs97 said:

The best keeper we've had here in years imo, can't think of a mistake he's made.

Agree said exactly that I’m so much more confident when he’s in goal. He’s good at everything he does I can’t recall a mistake in any game he’s ever played for us.

Been a very good addition given he came without a rep for much 1st team football and 3 years with a single appearance for Brighton. That said I think the time is right to make a pathway for Max to compete for the #1 spot here, he's 23 and probably as much from his perspective he'll be looking for somewhere he can be #1, we need to show him that place can be here, another loan spell is probably just going to convince him otherwise. We know LJ is willing to drop keepers if they're not performing so he's likely to get a chance at some point, being an academy product also makes him more valuable to us, with Morrell, Max and Zak we can start having a few academy players back in the 1st team squad again.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Been a very good addition given he came without a rep for much 1st team football and 3 years with a single appearance for Brighton. That said I think the time is right to make a pathway for Max to compete for the #1 spot here, he's 23 and probably as much from his perspective he'll be looking for somewhere he can be #1, we need to show him that place can be here, another loan spell is probably just going to convince him otherwise. We know LJ is willing to drop keepers if they're not performing so he's likely to get a chance at some point, being an academy product also makes him more valuable to us, with Morrell, Max and Zak we can start having a few academy players back in the 1st team squad again.

Seems it's just me, but I really don't rate O'Leary.

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

Seems it's just me, but I really don't rate O'Leary.

I'd say he's good enough to at least be a #2 in the championship whether he's good enough to be a #1 for a top 10 club is something we can only find out with him getting more games but we can't keep delaying on his career, really he either needs to be in every match day squad next season as 1st or 2nd choice or he should be sold in terms of the good of his career. But 23 years old and good enough as a league 1 #1 would indicate he's going to step up at some stage.

Just looking through some stats to compare, he has a better goals conceded per 90 record than Bentley and Maenpaa despite being in a bottom half team, expected goals against O'Leary has been better this year than Bentley but not as good as Maenpaa. Better percentage of shots saved then both, more clean sheets then both combined, again Shrewsbury are 15th. Not as good at punching as Bentley but claims more at a better rate. Point is he needs a season here so both he and the club know where they stand, if he's deemed not good enough he's sold (or out of contract I can't remember when it is) if he is then we've found out and he can stay around the 1st team at a good age.

41 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'd say he's good enough to at least be a #2 in the championship whether he's good enough to be a #1 for a top 10 club is something we can only find out with him getting more games but we can't keep delaying on his career, really he either needs to be in every match day squad next season as 1st or 2nd choice or he should be sold in terms of the good of his career. But 23 years old and good enough as a league 1 #1 would indicate he's going to step up at some stage.

Just looking through some stats to compare, he has a better goals conceded per 90 record than Bentley and Maenpaa despite being in a bottom half team, expected goals against O'Leary has been better this year than Bentley but not as good as Maenpaa. Better percentage of shots saved then both, more clean sheets then both combined, again Shrewsbury are 15th. Not as good at punching as Bentley but claims more at a better rate. Point is he needs a season here so both he and the club know where they stand, if he's deemed not good enough he's sold (or out of contract I can't remember when it is) if he is then we've found out and he can stay around the 1st team at a good age.

All good points and I don't dispute any of them. I just think that it is a shame that the one that is likely to make way for that is the best keeper IMO that I have seen at AG for a long time. That said, as far as I'm concerned if Johnson really knew a good keeper then Steele would still be here.

I don't mean to slate O'Leary unnecessarily. He's never really done anything wrong, so I'll hold my hands up (keeper style) and admit that I can't really put my finger on exactly why I don't rate him. He just never seems to look right between the sticks to me and maybe that's why he never fills me with any confidence.

Or it might be because I think that he looks remarkably similar to Steve Phillips. And I REALLY never rated him.

31 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I think Niki has been awesome.

It's a twisted ankle, not a hamstring tear or an ACL.

It's just bad luck.

Great keeper with another 1 - 2 yrs left in him at this level.

Keep.

If you’re willing to have him sit half a season out injured. This started half way through last season, and since then he hasn’t managed more then 3 consecutive games. 

14 minutes ago, James54De said:

If you’re willing to have him sit half a season out injured. This started half way through last season, and since then he hasn’t managed more then 3 consecutive games. 

Frankly I would be.

It's amazing how everybody seems to hail Afobe as some sort of Messiah with his injury record, yet in my opinion Maenpaa is a far more important piece of the jigsaw.

At City players always seem to be the answer when they are not playing. Maenpaa is one of the few that is the answer when he is.

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Frankly I would be.

It's amazing how everybody seems to hail Afobe as some sort of Messiah with his injury record, yet in my opinion Maenpaa is a far more important piece of the jigsaw.

At City players always seem to be the answer when they are not playing. Maenpaa is one of the few that is the answer when he is.

Afobe has had 2 long injuries. Maenpaa seems to constantly have small injuries that keep him out a month, only to come back and play 3 half’s of football and then be subbed off. Similar to how Baker has been (Thankfully seems to have rectified issues somewhat, whether it be a mental or physical problem). 
Bar Afobe’s two spells he has a pretty consistent record of availability. In addition, you really don’t want a goalkeeper to be in and out as it unsettles the hole team. 
Despite being a solid keeper, he should be released as he just can’t be relied upon. 
Let Max, who has proven his talent, and Bentley fight for number 1 spot. 

47 minutes ago, James54De said:

Afobe has had 2 long injuries. Maenpaa seems to constantly have small injuries that keep him out a month, only to come back and play 3 half’s of football and then be subbed off. Similar to how Baker has been (Thankfully seems to have rectified issues somewhat, whether it be a mental or physical problem). 
Bar Afobe’s two spells he has a pretty consistent record of availability. In addition, you really don’t want a goalkeeper to be in and out as it unsettles the hole team. 
Despite being a solid keeper, he should be released as he just can’t be relied upon. 
Let Max, who has proven his talent, and Bentley fight for number 1 spot. 

Well thanks for that. I would give you a reasoned response, but as you have 'aubergined' me you can frankly **** off.

7 hours ago, SX227 said:

It's just bad luck.

Keep.

Yep........Definitely should keep, admittedly a bit injury prone, but a really excellent experienced keeper.

8 hours ago, SX227 said:

It's just bad luck.

Keep.

Spot on that.

I think he’s been brilliant for us and would love to see him here for at least another season, although No reason we can’t get 2 out of him.

Thats nothing against Bentley who's also been superb at times even if recent form has let him down a bit.

Archived