Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Cardiff 4 and more.

Adomah, Flint, Pack and Tomlin at least 3 may make a return today :o all of which could make an impact. Then I think of Reid and Bryan at Fulham and Ayling flying with Leeds, add in 3 more recent ex City at prem Burnley, Bournemouth and Brighton; I think to myself quite a team that would make.

Yes these players left for ambition/cash/were not wanted/didnt fit in, imo we would be better off with them than without them as losing them has got us.........to where exactly? 12th and falling and Cardiff/Fulham/Leeds properly challenging for the prem.

Are these clubs (apart from Leeds) really that much bigger/better than us? they all have managers I`d swop for ours for sure (but so have most clubs)

With all their faults would love the Cardiff 4 and more back but fear many more in the future will leave for more ambitious clubs or simply because they cant fit in, leaving us well roundabout here just where we were 50 odd years ago. :dunno:

16 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Adomah, Flint, Pack and Tomlin at least 3 may make a return today :o all of which could make an impact. Then I think of Reid and Bryan at Fulham and Ayling flying with Leeds, add in 3 more recent ex City at prem Burnley, Bournemouth and Brighton; I think to myself quite a team that would make.

Yes these players left for ambition/cash/were not wanted/didnt fit in, imo we would be better off with them than without them as losing them has got us.........to where exactly? 12th and falling and Cardiff/Fulham/Leeds properly challenging for the prem.

Are these clubs (apart from Leeds) really that much bigger/better than us? they all have managers I`d swop for ours for sure (but so have most clubs)

With all their faults would love the Cardiff 4 and more back but fear many more in the future will leave for more ambitious clubs or simply because they cant fit in, leaving us well roundabout here just where we were 50 odd years ago. :dunno:

Adomah been recalled by forest I think

• Like 1

Some of the names mentioned above are up there with my favourite City players of all time.

However it’s an interesting point you make. Apart from Albert & the 3 that left for the prem this season....bar brief stints in the prem they haven’t exactly set the world alight above the champ have they? Reid & Bryan in particular we got excellent money for. Losing them wasn’t the problem....replacing them was.

Having said that as things stand this season I am not sure I would have any of them back? Pack maybe because we have no midfield? Ayling maybe as we have no RB? I loved Flint & Albert but both have seen better days. The rest I wouldn’t really want back.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Yesterday’s men. We need to advance not keep looking back .

Those buying clubs have paid out fortunes for our players enabling us to reinvest in the playing squad .

Have we ever had one of the Championship’s best forwards in our team let alone two ? 

They are being badly managed at the moment but the principle is sound . Every club sells players when the time is right .

As to club size , they have all been in the Prem and until we are there then ‘ yes ‘ they are bigger .

• Like 7

As already mentioned, Adomah has gone back to Forest. Flint will be on the bench and is nowhere near as good as our two starting centre backs... Nelson and Morrison. Pack actually completed a full 90+ minutes in our last match against Charlton. This was rather a surprise, because he is no longer recognised as a starting midfielder, we certainly have better options than him (most notably Will Vaulks).

To be honest, most Cardiff fans wouldn't be sorry to see both Flint and Pack moved on, they're slow, caught out of position far too often, and in the case of Flint, woeful passing ability!

Tomlin, on the other hand, has been a revelation post-Warnock. He's been on the bench since we came back after the enforced break, but that's solely down to him working his way back from quite a serious injury he picked up before the Coronavirus outbreak. Prior to the lockdown, he was doing 90+ minutes regularly and still looked like he had some gas left in the tank! I wouldn't expect him to start today, he's more likely to be introduced at around the 65 minutes mark. So much of the good stuff we play goes through Tomlin, he sees passes that others don't and the opposition just cannot legislate for what he might do next.

We were hugely disappointed in his unprofessional attitude when he first joined us, clearly overweight and basically giving the general feeling that he didn't care (which is why Warnock lost patience with him and shipped him out on loan to Forest). However, there's not a Cardiff fan who doesn't want Tomlin to be a part of our club right now.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Latcher said:

As already mentioned, Adomah has gone back to Forest. Flint will be on the bench and is nowhere near as good as our two starting centre backs... Nelson and Morrison. Pack actually completed a full 90+ minutes in our last match against Charlton. This was rather a surprise, because he is no longer recognised as a starting midfielder, we certainly have better options than him (most notably Will Vaulks).

To be honest, most Cardiff fans wouldn't be sorry to see both Flint and Pack moved on, they're slow, caught out of position far too often, and in the case of Flint, woeful passing ability!

Tomlin, on the other hand, has been a revelation post-Warnock. He's been on the bench since we came back after the enforced break, but that's solely down to him working his way back from quite a serious injury he picked up before the Coronavirus outbreak. Prior to the lockdown, he was doing 90+ minutes regularly and still looked like he had some gas left in the tank! I wouldn't expect him to start today, he's more likely to be introduced at around the 65 minutes mark. So much of the good stuff we play goes through Tomlin, he sees passes that others don't and the opposition just cannot legislate for what he might do next.

We were hugely disappointed in his unprofessional attitude when he first joined us, clearly overweight and basically giving the general feeling that he didn't care (which is why Warnock lost patience with him and shipped him out on loan to Forest). However, there's not a Cardiff fan who doesn't want Tomlin to be a part of our club right now.

Tomlin is a real enema.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Taz said:

Well Flint, Pack, Tomlin, Bryan and Reid were all part of the same squad, and collectively didn't do that much better than we are currently doing.

:dunno:

I think it is reasonable to argue that the squad which featured in the games against the 2 Manchester clubs (all of the above, bar Tomlin) actually did do better.

We were excellent up until Xmas in that season but with injuries & having played far more games than expected, (no one seriously expects us to reach a two legged cup semi final) the same 12/14 players simply ran out of steam in the second half of the season.

Also, the squad was smaller then but so much stronger in terms of a starting XI for me, most people had a very clear idea of who would play.

The team that started the Manchester games would beat any 11 from our current huge, yet mediocre squad more often than not.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Latcher said:

Tomlin is a very  naturally talented player, no doubt . He was brilliant on loan for us. Harris must be bending over backwards to keep him sweet though because as a bloke , tomlins a *** 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think it is reasonable to argue that the squad which featured in the games against the 2 Manchester clubs (all of the above, bar Tomlin) actually did do better.

We were excellent up until Xmas in that season but with injuries & having played far more games than expected, (no one seriously expects us to reach a two legged cup semi final) the same 12/14 players simply ran out of steam in the second half of the season.

Also, the squad was smaller then but so much stronger in terms of a starting XI for me, most people had a very clear idea of who would play.

The team that started the Manchester games would beat any 11 from our current huge, yet mediocre squad more often than not.

All we needed were reinforcements to keep the energy levels up and FA cup and promotion was in our grip .

Where did LJ lose the plot ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Latcher said:

So is it ; the team/squad or the manager that makes the difference? got to be the the manager as his team/selection/tactics?

Players often get called out chucked under a bus but the manager trains with them and is supposed to know them.

By the way fancy another new manager or swap?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Very true, but the squad on paper is so much better today than then.

Unfortunately our head coach and his staff seemed to have regressed since then. At least then we had an identity (he loves that word) and the players knew what each other were doing. 

Put today's squad in the place of that one, playing the same tactics and formations, then we would be farther up the table.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Yesterday’s men. We need to advance not keep looking back .

Those buying clubs have paid out fortunes for our players enabling us to reinvest in the playing squad .

Have we ever had one of the Championship’s best forwards in our team let alone two ? 

They are being badly managed at the moment but the principle is sound . Every club sells players when the time is right .

As to club size , they have all been in the Prem and until we are there then ‘ yes ‘ they are bigger .

yes we reinvest but where has all this buying/selling, building/knocking down advancing got us.......halfway up the table atm....ie no-where much;

We could be 2 of the 3 forwards down by the start of next season....then what? we go again no doubt.

Lee has taken us as far as he can, its time to try someone else and break the cycle

Edited by glos old boy
  • Like 1

Other than Korey Smith and Baker, no other regular first team players are left from our 2017/18 season. That is part of the problem. On one level, we appear to have traded up in terms of the individual players (certainly in terms of the amount we have paid for them) but on another level, the team has gone backwards. The latter is the responsibility of the coaches, and that’s where the problem lies.

58 minutes ago, Taz said:

Very true, but the squad on paper is so much better today than then.

Unfortunately our head coach and his staff seemed to have regressed since then. At least then we had an identity (he loves that word) and the players knew what each other were doing. 

Put today's squad in the place of that one, playing the same tactics and formations, then we would be farther up the table.

The squad is certainly far bigger, but is it really any better?

What has adding the likes of Szmodics, Rowe, Adelakun & Gilmartin to it actually achieved? 

We are certainly big on quantity, not so sure there is any more quality.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

All we needed were reinforcements to keep the energy levels up and FA cup and promotion was in our grip .

Where did LJ lose the plot ?

I think major that the tv limelight got to him. He was mixing with the big guns and thought he was their equal. In truth he is way short,  no pun intended. His man management is awful and he doesn't know how to get the best out of players. As a player and as a coach, his style is sterile and boring. Now watch us beat Cardiff  3-0.!!!