IGNORED

Johnson - Desire & Player Management

Tomo

I'm not sure if we are all trying to pick the bones out of our manager and slate him as much as possible, but I have to share an opinion of LJ, after watching the Man City V Liverpool game on Thursday, 

If you watched the Man City game, did anyone see the 1st water break after Man City went 1-0 up?

Pep, rounded his players in a 'united circle' - it was amazing to see his desire in motivating his players. The passion shown was on another level...he was no doubt giving the players his tactical wishes for the remaining 20 minutes of the 1st half.  He was so animated, it looked like he was on LSD at a rave party...

I then remembered seeing footage of LJ the night before. He could barely speak to KP as he made the substitution!

It's very rare to see LJ in a rounded bubble of players. He may speak to his 'yes men players' but it always seems to be 1 to 1's. I am not sure he has the confidence and player management skills to motivate 'his team' collectively. 

Just an observation from watching one of the top managers in the world on Thursday.   

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

I'm not sure if we are all trying to pick the bones out of our manager and slate him as much as possible, but I have to share an opinion of LJ, after watching the Man City V Liverpool game on Thursday, 

If you watched the Man City game, did anyone see the 1st water break after Man City went 1-0 up?

Pep, rounded his players in a 'united circle' - it was amazing to see his desire in motivating his players. The passion shown was on another level...he was no doubt giving the players his tactical wishes for the remaining 20 minutes of the 1st half.  He was so animated, it looked like he was on LSD at a rave party...

I then remembered seeing footage of LJ the night before. He could barely speak to KP as he made the substitution!

It's very rare to see LJ in a rounded bubble of players. He may speak to his 'yes men players' but it always seems to be 1 to 1's. I am not sure he has the confidence and player management skills to motivate 'his team' collectively. 

Just an observation from watching one of the top managers in the world on Thursday.   

Thoughts?

Get Pep down here .

Just now, cityloyal473 said:

LJ is a training ground manager (although to what extent he is effective is questionable).  You only have to look at him and his assistants to know that they couldn't ever 'rally the troops' in the heat of battle.

re. "training ground manager" - he often defends his selection of a player by saying they've had a good week on the training ground .Of course it is important to put in a shift on there but its what you do on the pitch that counts.

IIRC, Andy Cole rarely came out for the pre-match warm up so you can imagine what he was like on the training field on a wet Thursday morning. I think it was Denis Smith, who signed him, who said to me Cole would always say "I'll do it on the pitch boss"

Stunning hat-trick in this League Cup game vs Cardiff AUGUST 1992 - 5-1 win

I get the impression that LJ is not 'confident enough' in his own body to motivate his players collectively.

As I said, I cant recall him motivating 'his team, as a team' during any fixture this season, 

The training ground manager theory?. I would say he only coaches 'his team' for 25% of the time anyway, on the training ground, (with the support of macca and holden) 

I can see Lee being fairly confident, with the team sat in a classroom looking at a video or a chalk-board, but when the lads cross the white line on match day, he lacks confidence, desire, motivation, authority and the respect required from his players. That all comes down to his managerial style on the training ground and I believe that he only has healthy player relationships with a handful of his playing squad. 

31 minutes ago, Tomo said:

From what Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Gotze and I think Yaya Toure have said, he's very much a "for the cameras" manager. 

If it works, it works. 

54 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Thoughts?

Obviously, from the thread I started here:

I agree 100%.

Not a leader.

Zero man management skills.

Johnson out.

To be fair, I can't think of many high energy managers besides Pep? Or even force of nature personalities like Klopp. Most managers are pretty reserved except for the barking during games.

7 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Every time its cut to a water break I see teams gather around their manager whilst ours mill about and chat in little groups and LJ whinges at the fourth official.

Didn't know that, truly an awful indictment of LJ's man management 

How many threads do we need? It’s unprecedented times right now, there is no financial certainty for next season with Covid and a recession, so there’s absolutely no point changing anything now at great expense. 
Just see where we are when some semblance of normality returns.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

How many threads do we need? It’s unprecedented times right now, there is no financial certainty for next season with Covid and a recession, so there’s absolutely no point changing anything now at great expense. 

What is it you can’t see. We’ve had dreary unimaginative football for 18 months . COVID has not impacted on our form or style of football at all. 

Just now, Chappers said:

To be fair, failure to beat Shrewsbury came at a big expense to Lansdown, as will failure to make the playoff, despite Lansdown sanctioning a significant signing in January. 

You're right that financial concerns will come into Lansdown's mind, but that might force his hand to pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Thoughts?

Having been at Charlton Farm pre-Xmas, I was chatting to Dean Holden, but next to LJ.  Someone came up to LJ and started talking about the previous game v Blackburn (0-2 defeat).  Holden saw LJ was getting some friendly stick, and said something along the lines of “maybe he should sit in the dugout this week” to which LJ bit badly “I don’t know why you’re having a go at me, you should be having a go at this lot (the players)”.  ?

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

re. "training ground manager" - he often defends his selection of a player by saying they've had a good week on the training ground .Of course it is important to put in a shift on there but its what you do on the pitch that counts.

IIRC, Andy Cole rarely came out for the pre-match warm up so you can imagine what he was like on the training field on a wet Thursday morning. I think it was Denis Smith, who signed him, who said to me Cole would always say "I'll do it on the pitch boss"

Stunning hat-trick in this League Cup game vs Cardiff AUGUST 1992 - 5-1 win

It bugs me when we score a goal and he comes out and says “we’ve been working specifically on that this week”.  Why aren’t they working on it every week?

54 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I get the impression that LJ is not 'confident enough' in his own body to motivate his players collectively.

As I said, I cant recall him motivating 'his team, as a team' during any fixture this season, 

The training ground manager theory?. I would say he only coaches 'his team' for 25% of the time anyway, on the training ground, (with the support of macca and holden) 

I can see Lee being fairly confident, with the team sat in a classroom looking at a video or a chalk-board, but when the lads cross the white line on match day, he lacks confidence, desire, motivation, authority and the respect required from his players. That all comes down to his managerial style on the training ground and I believe that he only has healthy player relationships with a handful of his playing squad. 

I agree, I think you can tell by his body language in interviews that he’s doing a “David Brent” because he’s insecure.  I think much of that stems from a playing career that was hounded by shouts of nepotism.  I think he’s tried to distance his managerial style from his dad, by focusing on the technical, purity of coaching theory....when in fact the best trait he should’ve carried forward from his dad was his man-management.  I can imagine similar thoughts on the training ground, e.g. this’ll never work on the pitch, it’s straight out of a text book, with no thought about the qualities of our players, or the opposition.

When was the last time we played one (yes one) passing move like this?  17/18?  Maybe Derby (a) this season?

19 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Every time its cut to a water break I see teams gather around their manager whilst ours mill about and chat in little groups and LJ whinges at the fourth official.

...and you wonder why refs give us shit decisions every week.  LJ must be talked about in ref circles as a effin moaner.

If you’re an international footballer, who’s joined City from a bigger club, it must be hard to listen to a manager who achieved nothing as a player,  constantly talks gibberish, and will throw his own mother under the bus before taking any responsibility. 

Mixed messages, no clarity, and a manager who goes into hiding when the going gets tough. Lack of motivation is one of several reasons to get rid of LJ, regardless of the result today. 

7 minutes ago, Chappers said:

We are still playing and not improving. Other teams regardless of the corona virus are playing better than us. It’s the same for all clubs in regards to financial constraints and unprecedented times. What is occurring now I’m afraid is the normal for some time to come. 

You are missing the point. The point is under LJ our top class players are not playing to their potential.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

To be fair, failure to beat Shrewsbury came at a big expense to Lansdown, as will failure to make the playoff, despite Lansdown sanctioning a significant signing in January. 

You're right that financial concerns will come into Lansdown's mind, but that might force his hand to pull the trigger.

Possibly cost us £1m+....that’s two £20k pw loanees for half a season....just saying ?

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Jesus - I'd forgotten about being outclassed by Shrewsbury over two games. 

12 minutes ago, tin said:

If you’re an international footballer, who’s joined City from a bigger club, it must be hard to listen to a manager who achieved nothing as a player,  constantly talks gibberish, and will throw his own mother under the bus before taking any responsibility. 

Mixed messages, no clarity, and a manager who goes into hiding when the going gets tough. Lack of motivation is one of several reasons to get rid of LJ, regardless of the result today. 

Would like to have given this post TEN likes.

Johnson has a massive inferiority complex ............... with good cause.

That’s because he can’t man manage!!!! He’s basically formed a team to play like he did pretty tit tat football with no physical impact and no cutting edge he’s formed a team of 5a side players that struggle under his coaching inabilities to cope with the rigours of 11a side football .Get rid now mr Lansdown he’s taking the mick and the players are not performing for him!!!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly cost us £1m+....that’s two £20k pw loanees for half a season....just saying ?

Yeah, Lansdown is doing his part of the bargain by sanctioning the recruitment.

Johnson has failed to fulfil his part.

So does SL accept the excuses or does he lose patience?

Can’t say if LJ has an inferiority complex or not and quite frankly don’t really care. What I care about is the disappointment in the way we are playing since November last year. I remember my last trip back for family reasons and we went down to Blackburn at home and it cost a s%$ t load to get tickets in the upper tier of the Lansdown stand.

My son also was with me and it was his first visit back since the upgrade to what is a fantastic stadium but its not the same as it used to be. The football is crap, the manager hasn’t got a clue, there were approximately 95 on OTIB that answered the survey sitting on the fence. Why are they sitting on the fence ? It’s almost like loosing is getting exceptable for some.

I remember the 70s and 80s where we had good runs and bad runs and the atmosphere at the gate was second to none. Sadly these days may be a long way off if LJ stays at the club. 

In the late 70s i had a season ticket in the dolman and my wife’s grandfather was also a season ticket holder and we always sat together. It was in the middle block and only 3 rows back from the front. I will always cherish those years. The poor bugger now will be shacking in his grave if he new where the club are now at this present time.

every Saturday I put on my City shirt or my Cider army shirt hopeing its good luck. Sunday mornings now are not what they used to be. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, Lansdown is doing his part of the bargain by sanctioning the recruitment.

Johnson has failed to fulfil his part.

So does SL accept the excuses or does he lose patience?

I really believe and hope the end could be near.  SL must be wondering how much his own credibility is going to be affected if he leaves LJ floundering for much longer.

Sure, he’s an amazingly wealthy man who could do what he wants with the club he owns, but he isn’t going to want to be made to look like a gullible mug.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Thoughts?

This all day long. He ain’t a motivator. You could see that the season he nearly relegated us despite having 20 odd goals from Tammy.

40 minutes ago, City oz said:

I remember the 70s and 80s where we had good runs and bad runs and the atmosphere at the gate was second to none. Sadly these days may be a long way off if LJ stays at the club. 

In the late 70s i had a season ticket in the dolman and my wife’s grandfather was also a season ticket holder and we always sat together. It was in the middle block and only 3 rows back from the front. I will always cherish those years. The poor bugger now will be shacking in his grave if he new where the club are now at this present time.

What, midtable in the second tier?

Archived