IGNORED

Palmer - The Fear He Got It Wrong?

Davefevs

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think KP has lost all the motivation he had when he signed for us . 

He looked lean and fired up at the beginning of the season but now , dare I say it , he looks to have put on a bit of weight .

I am bitterly disappointed that LJ hasn’t found a way to get the best out of this talented young player , sadly not the first .

It's easy to forget that he's still young ( 23) but that for all of his senior football career he's been shunted here and there on loan so never really able to settle anywhere.

From comments he made when he signed last summer it sounded like he wanted to settle somewhere an a more permanent basis, both for his family and for his footballing career.At the start of the season, playing in behind Afobe and Weimann he looked just the type of creative midfielder we've needed. Adobe's untimely injury caused LJ to play Famara as lone striker and he just doesn't play the way Afobe did and immediately Palmer's effectiveness waned. 

As is LJ's way, he seems more inclined to drop a player like Palmer in favour of a worker and so the season continued, and despite the fact that the team continually failed to create much in the attacking third of the pitch, Palmer remained on the bench. I suspect KP must have wished he was back out on loan again, as he must have realised that he was going nowhere with us and LJ's philosophy. It must have been even more galling for KP to watch the rubbish football and run of results knowing that he was still not been given a chance by our head coach.

I know that some fans feel that KP is overrated, but given his lack of game time ( by comparison with someone like COD) I don't know how we can really judge his ability. Having seen LJ's selection, formations and tactics through this season, I can't see any player like Palmer flourishing  while LJ remains in charge, as his instincts seem to play safe and cautious and take no risks.

If the last 6 months have been playing safe and cautious and taking no risks then we really have no hope!

From the BBC website:

Lionel Messi: Why Barcelona captain is becoming increasingly fed up at the Nou Camp

SL asked LJ if he wanted to put in a bid for Messi, but LJ said no, as Messi doesn't track back, work hard enough and is not as good as Famara in the air.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

From the BBC website:

Lionel Messi: Why Barcelona captain is becoming increasingly fed up at the Nou Camp

SL asked LJ if he wanted to put in a bid for Messi, but LJ said no, as Messi doesn't track back, work hard enough and is not as good as Famara in the air.

Or can defend a corner as well 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, quite possibly.

No different to me thinking Eliasson’s don’t I guess.

But through the countless system changes since that game v WBA, he’s not found one that starts Kasey....and yet some players keep playing poorly.

My mind drifts to Tomlin, even Freeman as well. Has Johnson ever managed to get the best out of an attacking midfielder? Or am I just subconsciously confirming my own suspicions?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

O’Dowda’s shots since the last times (imho) he played decently (Cardiff away):

D71A9990-C93D-4322-B400-EA6B8DA7C081.thumb.jpeg.501f6320dfb9f0cd82727530270d51fc.jpeg.

These stats are nothing more than embarrassing and echo my thoughts of him ... complete waste of a position and offers nothing ... 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

O’Dowda’s shots since the last times (imho) he played decently (Cardiff away):

D71A9990-C93D-4322-B400-EA6B8DA7C081.thumb.jpeg.501f6320dfb9f0cd82727530270d51fc.jpeg.

That looks horrendous.

Wonder what stats LJ is using as a reference that can possibly justify making CO’D a practically nailed on starter??

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Palmer injured.  Supposedly had it for a month, but had a scan and a small tear.  Why didn’t they have a scan a month ago.

I call “bullshit”.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I wouldn’ t be suprised that if we lose he will make a few underhand comments about Palmer on the post match conference & chuck him under the bus (again) without even playing a minute.

I don't see how anybody can come to any meaningful conclusion about a player until they've been given a real run in the side - by which I mean something like ten starts in a row.  Not 20 minute cameos twice a month.

Palmer looks like a creative talent but we can't possibly know how good nor how much defensive work he's capable of until he has that run.

He will never get it under Lee Johnson so we'll have wasted money on him.

6 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Question. Is Johnsons refusal to play players he "doesn't trust" any different to when Cotts refused to fill the bench? As far as I'm concerned he's challenging the "powers that be" and hopefully he will suffer the same fate

It depends very much on the history of the signings. If these are players the board wanted and he didn't and he's saying "well, I told you so" then I would agree. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

It depends very much on the history of the signings. If these are players the board wanted and he didn't and he's saying "well, I told you so" then I would agree. 

Sounds plausible and if so, LJ needs bombing out pronto.

If it’s good enough reason to sack Cotts after what he’d done the previous year, it’s plenty good enough for this joker.

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Sounds plausible and if so, LJ needs bombing out pronto.

If it’s good enough reason to sack Cotts after what he’d done the previous year, it’s plenty good enough for this joker.

I actually think LJ should go for a different reason, which is the exact same reason I wanted Cotts team too. It is that, once a manager reaches a point where - whether through a fault of their own or not - they have become a point of division and a block to everyone pulling in the same direction then, unless they can right that course, then that manager has to go for the sake of the club. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I actually think LJ should go for a different reason, which is the exact same reason I wanted Cotts team too. It is that, once a manager reaches a point where - whether through a fault of their own or not - they have become a point of division and a block to everyone pulling in the same direction then, unless they can right that course, then that manager has to go for the sake of the club. 

Can’t argue with that, though I’d say that LJ has been a point of division ever since he began as Head Coach.

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yes - but he's finally managed to unite the fans recently.

Haha, not thought of it that way.  Never imagined we’d ever see a united fanbase under him.

With all his spin and bs, he’ll probably stick that on his CV when we finally get shot 

43 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Question. Is Johnsons refusal to play players he "doesn't trust" any different to when Cotts refused to fill the bench? As far as I'm concerned he's challenging the "powers that be" and hopefully he will suffer the same fate

The main difference is that Cott's challenging "the powers that be" occurred while he was taking the club towards relegation.

Mind you, extrapolating 2020's form and results could see us in a similar position to Cott's team next season!

Archived