IGNORED

Who next? (Merged)

Luxo Jr.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Just been having a browse of Preston's forum, where there's a thread called "Neil Out?" with a poll (started last weekend) showing 41% want him gone, plus another 25% undecided. Lots of complaints about dull football etc and the suggestion that he's run his course there.(seems familiar...)

The last couple of pages is where news filters through of LJ going, with several suggesting Neil would come here if we want him, and some that Preston may not stand in his way as it saves them having to pay him off in the summer.

Would take Neil I think. Pragmatic but he gets results.

Not read this thread in detail but am thinking I guess the board want a young manager and an ambitious appointment and we have a good Chelsea connection.

Not saying it is what I want as I am by no means convinced it is but I would not be utterly shocked if our next manager turned out to be a captain, leader AND legend...

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Because nothing screams mediocrity more than Steve McLaren.

I haven’t seen a single name seriously mentioned that is anything but mediocre. You get no guarantees whoever you appoint. Chris Hughton has has an indifferent record just as McLaren does. I’d go for Warnock if it was all about promotion but I’m desperate to see some good football at the Gate again. 

The many shouts of Van Bommel do make me chuckle! Plucked out of thin air and everyone is now on the MVB bus.

More chance of getting Michael Van Gerwen3D32C996-590D-40C1-B110-2C8BE3C0CD9D.thumb.jpeg.fbd9c269b11173271309206ff131670e.jpeg

Just now, redapple said:

I haven’t seen a single name seriously mentioned that is anything but mediocre. You get no guarantees whoever you appoint. Chris Hughton has has an indifferent record just as McLaren does. I’d go for Warnock if it was all about promotion but I’m desperate to see some good football at the Gate again. 

Jovanovich has two promotions and plays good football. Don’t see that as mediocre at all.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Indeed. What's he done to attract so much praise and interest?

Everyone is banging the drum about proven, yet requests a manager who is completely unproven as a manager even if he was as a player.

...and probably has never heard of us

4 hours ago, daored said:

I think we will be an attractive proposition for managers , we’ve stuck by Lee when many clubs wouldn’t. We have a wealthy owner who will back his manager financially (although we do sell big once a season). Stadium finished , training ground being revamped and not a bad squad of players , needs a tweak here and there 

The difference between how our clubs have operated in the market in the last few years is that Bristol City have reinvested quite heavily when they sell key players. We don't. Alex Neil was given 750k to sign Jayden Stockley, probably 5th or 6th choice, having sold Hugill for £10m a year earlier.

Our owner has also stalled on a training ground project which now looks like never happening. The housing development that was part of the package is definitely happening, though. ?

I'm sure Alex would've loved the type of backing that Lee Johnson has had and I suspect after 3 years of trying to get us into the top 6 on a shoestring, would jump at the chance to move to a more ambitious club.

He was also quite desperate to sign Nahki Wells in January but there was no chance of the funds ever being there. Lee Johnson should've done much better with the money spent, especially on strikers. Which I imagine is probably a big reason why the club have decided to sack him.

Not sure what your club are thinking right now in terms of managers but I reckon if they moved in for Alex he would go, and I wouldn't blame him. He's been loyal to us long enough and not been backed.

1 minute ago, pnefcok said:

The difference between how our clubs have operated in the market in the last few years is that Bristol City have reinvested quite heavily when they sell key players. We don't. Alex Neil was given 750k to sign Jayden Stockley, probably 5th or 6th choice, having sold Hugill for £10m a year earlier.

Our owner has also stalled on a training ground project which now looks like never happening. The housing development that was part of the package is definitely happening, though. ?

I'm sure Alex would've loved the type of backing that Lee Johnson has had and I suspect after 3 years of trying to get us into the top 6 on a shoestring, would jump at the chance to move to a more ambitious club.

He was also quite desperate to sign Nahki Wells in January but there was no chance of the funds ever being there. Lee Johnson should've done much better with the money spent, especially on strikers.

Not sure what your club are thinking right now in terms of managers but I reckon if they moved in for Alex he would go, and I wouldn't blame him. He's been loyal to us long enough and not been backed.

What could we expect from a Neil team?

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

What could we expect from a Neil team?

Well-drilled, physical, high-pressing, nasty in a good way. He also likes his teams to move the ball forward very quickly and be excellent in transition, and play decent football when in possession, but our lack of any half decent striker has made that very difficult. When we had a physical outlet in Hugill we were very effective going forward and Jordan himself scored a decent amount of goals under Neil.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Just been having a browse of Preston's forum, where there's a thread called "Neil Out?" with a poll (started last weekend) showing 41% want him gone, plus another 25% undecided. Lots of complaints about dull football etc and the suggestion that he's run his course there.(seems familiar...)

The last couple of pages is where news filters through of LJ going, with several suggesting Neil would come here if we want him, and some that Preston may not stand in his way as it saves them having to pay him off in the summer.

Forums aren't always an accurate indicator with these things. We're on a bad run so you'll obviously see you reactive opinions and a lot of people annoyed that we can't buy a win at the moment.

I think most people, including many in football, would acknowledge that Neil has done a very good job during his time here. With the attacking options with got, especially our strikers, we should be nowhere near play-off contention. He also hasn't been afforded funds to replace key players when sold.

He would be a big success at a club with real ambition, like he was a Norwich. He has achieved a lot in the game already and is still a young manager.

People are suggesting Jokanovic and fair enough he's got a great track record in England. But he's not the type of manager who's going to be fist bumping to section 82 when we win a game. He's a much reserved character, not going much away in pre and most match interviews. The last manager we had like that was SOD..

7 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Well-drilled, physical, high-pressing, nasty in a good way. He also likes his teams to move the ball forward very quickly and be excellent in transition, and play decent football when in possession, but our lack of any half decent striker has made that very difficult. When we had a physical outlet in Hugill we were very effective going forward and Jordan himself scored a decent amount of goals under Neil.

If you were us would you be happy with Alex Neill?

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Anyone else think it’s likely we’ve spoken to Paul Cook at Wigan? If we’ve had somebody lined up wouldn’t surprise me if it was him, given I imagine he’s keen to get out of there now after what’s happened this week.

He doesn't strike me as a man who would leave a team in the shit when the seasons not over yet.  What ever happens though I think we will leave wigan at the end of the season. If he really is our man then we just need to be patient

11 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Sounds great. Send him down.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

The many shouts of Van Bommel do make me chuckle! Plucked out of thin air and everyone is now on the MVB bus.

More chance of getting Michael Van Gerwen3D32C996-590D-40C1-B110-2C8BE3C0CD9D.thumb.jpeg.fbd9c269b11173271309206ff131670e.jpeg

Jovanovich has two promotions and plays good football. Don’t see that as mediocre at all.

More chance of Van Trotter :facepalm:

Dell Boy.jpg

26 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Well-drilled, physical, high-pressing, nasty in a good way. He also likes his teams to move the ball forward very quickly and be excellent in transition, and play decent football when in possession,

Does anyone have a thesaurus to hand as these are words and terms with which I have become unfamiliar! 

1 minute ago, dargla said:

Sun has reported Mick Mccarthy has thrown his hat in. 

I would be very surprised. We are going to appoint someone who will try to reap benefits from all the youth investment In the past however many years. I don’t think it will be Houghton or McCarthy.

2 hours ago, tin said:

Jokanovich, Cook, Van Bommel, Hughton, Robins - in that order please, Mark. 

Or, if uncle Steve really fancies pushing the boat out to make a statement - Benitez.

Benitez would make a statement - In an uncertain Financial time, we are spaffing wads of cash on a manager with no guarantee of success.

And if it Goes wrong, we are financially Donald Ducked.

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would be very surprised. We are going to appoint someone who will try to reap benefits from all the youth investment In the past however many years. I don’t think it will be Houghton or McCarthy.

I don’t understand why so many people think Bob Houghton is coming back.

100% Paul Cook for me.

I've been impressed by Wigan home and away the last couple of seasons, even in January at the DW when we won 2-0, we'd been on a poor run since December and I already had it in mind to look at how Cook set them up as felt he was an option - they moved it crisply down both flanks and had no problems passing around our box. Lacked the personnel, but far more fluid than LJ football and knew their roles. Cook already had 1 win and 2 draws (both at Ashton Gate) vs LJ too.

Consistently successful with the last 3 clubs he's managed (multiple promotions/championships on his CV) and in the same season LJ was pulling up trees against the big boys, he knocked Man City out of the FA Cup so covers all angles if you want to argue about him being an upgrade. Works with young players at Wigan and teams play on the front foot. Beaten Bielsa TWICE away at Elland Road, always very organised. Also more of a GJ than big name ego, so could still fit with SL.

And this was all before I read @Harry's background notes last week on his in prior transfer dealings and clear strategy to build a successful team in prior roles.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Hughton or Jokanovic but both still have an air of being slightly fanciful to me, and for that reason I feel like they'd be higher risk, particularly when you take the Coppell experience into account - big name manager deferring to Mark Ashton doesn't sound likely. Also while both have Championship promotions, their recent career trajectories are less clear, whereas Cook is clearly on the up and would be coming fresh from knowing the division and opposition.

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

100% Paul Cook for me.

I've been impressed by Wigan home and away the last couple of seasons, even in January at the DW when we won 2-0, we'd been on a poor run since December and I already had it in mind to look at how Cook set them up as felt he was an option - they moved it crisply down both flanks and had no problems passing around our box. Lacked the personnel, but far more fluid than LJ football and knew their roles. Cook already had 1 win and 2 draws (both at Ashton Gate) vs LJ too.

Consistently successful with the last 3 clubs he's managed (multiple promotions/championships on his CV) and in the same season LJ was pulling up trees against the big boys, he knocked Man City out of the FA Cup so covers all angles if you want to argue about him being an upgrade. Works with young players at Wigan and teams play on the front foot. Beaten Bielsa TWICE away at Elland Road, always very organised. Also more of a GJ than big name ego, so could still fit with SL.

And this was all before I read @Harry's background notes last week on his in prior transfer dealings and clear strategy to build a successful team in prior roles.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Hughton or Jokanovic but both still have an air of being slightly fanciful to me, and for that reason I feel like they'd be higher risk, particularly when you take the Coppell experience into account - big name manager deferring to Mark Ashton doesn't sound likely. Also while both have Championship promotions, their recent career trajectories are less clear, whereas Cook is clearly on the up and would be coming fresh from knowing the division and opposition.

I question whether he would come here, not sure why maybe just a hunch....I also question whether we are a good fit......seems to do well at average to small sized clubs....Wigan, Chesterfield.....Portsmouth obviously slightly bigger but again not close to premier league contenders when he was there.

For what it's worth he is number 1 on my list....clear identity and philosophy. Rate him highly, is he a good fit though.  Not convinced.

1 hour ago, pnefcok said:

Let him bring Ben Pearson too and we’ll take ‘em :fear:

7 hours ago, Chappers said:

Benitez would make a statement - In an uncertain Financial time, we are spaffing wads of cash on a manager with no guarantee of success.

And if it Goes wrong, we are financially Donald Ducked.

I agree, and I think it would never happen in a month of Sundays. I just wonder who the Pat Lam equivalent is in football terms. 

As I said, Jokanovich, Cook, Van Bommel, Hughton or Robins would do. Going by SL’s record, we’ll get another yes man with no pedigree. 

Archived