IGNORED

Gone - Lee Johnson relieved of his job. 100% Official

Bat Fastard

Not nice when anyone loses their job, but the football was dire and the tactics (if you could call them that) were all over the shop.

He kept us up, took us on a fantastically unforgettable cup run that put us on the map, but then we capitulated.

With LJ it was boom and bust, but we never seemed to learn from it. 

We have quality but no shape or style. He talked of identity but I struggled to see it. It didn’t seem like the players were too bothered either and the constant tinkering with formations and line ups didn’t do us any favours.

Unlucky with injuries at times and forced to sell our better players was never going to be a recipe for success, however, I think he was severely lacking when it came to man management and game management.

I hope we don’t replace him with Chris Hughton as he doesn’t play an exciting brand of football.

You can be a happy clapper and make all kinds of excuses, but when you see what other managers have done in the same timescales he wasn’t ever going to take us anywhere. 

At times it was some of the dullest football that I have ever seen from a Bristol City side.

We dust ourselves down now and we go again!

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Special mention to the bloke on Radio Bristol less than an hour ago who confidently declared “he’s going nowhere” and then gave some rambling reason about Coronavirus finances. Great work Nostradamus ?

Please let it have been Bristol Boy.

10 minutes ago, Gazred said:

No hard feelings towards LJ at all. I thank him for his efforts in progressing the club.

The board have done exactly the right thing though and i applaud them for being swift about it.

With 5 competitive games to assess a decent squad, a transfer window with good backing and a pre season, we should be an attractive proposition for a new manager.

The board wouldn’t have made that decision without SLs approval. He always has the last word on major decisions such as the Head Coach position.

1 minute ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Eddie Howe fits the bill perfectly.  It’s a project under a good owner   And his use of young players is admirable.   He doesn’t have up route his family ( which is why he went back to Bournemouth)  

thanks for all Lee and good luck 

Have you driven to or from Bournemouth?!

Very sad that its ended this way as I genuinely thought he could get us at least into the playoff's but he has left us in a far stronger position than he found us and whilst that isn't 100% down to him he has played a significant part in the clubs progression over the last few years. He always seemed to be up against it with a proportion of the fan base which was a carry over from his playing days and the vitiolic abuse he has received at times has been disgusting and woudn't have happened to anyone else I can think of.

Personally will always have time for the guy and enjoyed his press conferences and the way he talks about the game although he obvioulsy hasn't managed to translate that onto the pitch in terms of performance or consistent results over the last 18 month.

I hope he has learned a lot from his time here and I'm sure he will go on to be succesful at some point in his coaching / managerial career.

3 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Eddie Howe fits the bill perfectly.  It’s a project under a good owner   And his use of young players is admirable.   He doesn’t have up route his family ( which is why he went back to Bournemouth)  

Eddie Howe would only leave B’muff if he was sacked.

2 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Lee Johnson was once tipped as being the next Eddie Howe, would be kinda weird if Eddie Howe was then the next Lee Johnson here!!

He was given every chance to succeed, and was clearly on board as far as 'the project' was concerned; maybe he could have been a bit less complicated in his approach to things, maybe he could have shown a bit more 'trust' in some of the young players, but he can't put his failure to get us in to the top 6 down to a lack of backing.

So, thanks for some great nights and a few blinding memories, and all the best for the future. Don't imagine he'll be out of work long.

Right time to go? Absolutely. 

So, good luck.

Hopefully the entertainment factor will increase and we'll see some exciting football back in BS3 next season.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Did not see that coming! Especially with Lansdown sticking by him when we’ve been on even worse runs of form.

I think SL was loyal before and arguably that was repaid / justified but this time it felt different given the strength in squad available and the performance levels. Very sad and similar feeling to when Danny WIlson left for me in terms of really wanting someone to suceed.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The board wouldn’t have made that decision without SLs approval. He always has the last word on major decisions such as the Head Coach position.

Board/owner, you get the point. Had to go, has gone, well done all.

36 minutes ago, Atlanta_Red said:

People should show a little more class. A man has lost his job, and perhaps justifiably so given the performances this year. But it wasn’t for his want of trying and his love for the club. This represents a failure in a number of areas and not something that should be celebrated. 

Looking in from the outside I would say that he's been good for City but just come to the end of his time and has run out of ideas and fails to inspire the players. Having a rich owner now is the ideal time to select a more experienced exciting manager to take you to the next level as you are definitely under performing as a club consIdering the fanbase and facilities at hand 

Yep, as a few of us said over the last week, this was time for him to go. Taken us a far as he can, and was given time to prove otherwise. Business decision from SL, which only makes sense if we now bring in a replacement who has already proven themselves at this (and the next) level.

Thanks for all you've done Lee & good luck elsewhere (just not at our expense!)

Feel this is the right decision. The football the last two seasons has been painful to watch.

He found a good pressing attacking play style whilst still maintaining a decent defense early in his management here (some of the most entertaining football I have seen at AG) but just seems unable or willing to implement this again.

Hope someone can come in with this pretty decent squad and get them performing...

Good luck in your next endeavour Lee.

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Looking in from the outside I would say that he's been good for City but just come to the end of his time and has run out of ideas and fails to inspire the players. Having a rich owner now is the ideal time to select a more experienced exciting manager to take you to the next level as you are definitely under performing as a club consIdering the fanbase and facilities at hand 

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

Archived