IGNORED

Gone - Lee Johnson relieved of his job. 100% Official

Bat Fastard

Grateful for a handful of memories but delighted he has gone. He'll be well rewarded so I'll spare the tears. Since that stirring half season culminating in the United victory he's increasingly looked out of his depth and over-promoted. Should have been paid off some time ago. What a waste this season has been.

The club needs a managerial upgrade. 

18 minutes ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

Hang your heads in shame the lot of you.

We've just lost a great & genuine guy who had the club destined for bigger & better things in the First Division.

?

Good luck Lee, all the best. 

LJ has been a large part of a period of progression for the club and has done a very good job, but it was all getting a bit stale and going backwards - I'll leave it there. So a good time for both him and the club to evaluate options and move on.

Best wishes to him - I'm sure he'll have a good career in the years to come.

Be interesting to see who the club has in mind to succeed him. With the backing the new bloke will get and the squad he'll inherit, I would hope there will be some really top people interested.

I think it was inevitable and is the right thing to do.  Sadly (because I really wanted him to succeed) it was impossible to see how he was going to take us forward.  I hope those posters who in recent weeks have been unaccountably and unforgivably slagging off Steve Lansdown for failing to act will now eat huge portions of humble pie.

I can’t think of anyone currently in the English game who really feels like the right fit.  Maybe Eddie Howe, but having worked wonders with Bournemouth, can he really do it again?  I’d like to think we could unearth a talented and youngish coach from overseas in the mould of a Klopp or a Nuno Esposito Santo, but there’s always a risk you’ll end up with an Andre Villas-Boas.  Whoever it is, let’s hope they can bring the good times back, because it sure as hell hasn’t been much fun fir the past two seasons.

Thanks Lee. 

When you set us up to play high press and high energy football there were times I thought we were untouchable. You gave us that cup run. Thanks for those times. 

Now with a good heart I wish you well for your future.

You left us in a better position than you arrived, although tonight might way heavy upon you... Keep your head up. 

Says something I suppose when we sack our manager, it’s clearly the right decision, and we are mid table in the Championship.

We have been going backwards on the pitch for a while, and the sum of the parts is well less than the players we have. Never nice, but feels the right time.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course I get the point! but the board and Ashton had wanted LJ gone way before this season but SL refused.

That's pure speculation as you well know. What is it you say about if it's not on the OS then...:cool2:

22 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Eddie Howe fits the bill perfectly.  It’s a project under a good owner   And his use of young players is admirable.   He doesn’t have up route his family ( which is why he went back to Bournemouth)  

thanks for all Lee and good luck 

Yet another manager accused of not coping with big player egos , just like lee. Also , why would he leave a prem side (for now) for us and if he gets sacked. I’m sure he’ll have time out rather than jump straight into another job 

I'm not sad to see Johnson go. He'd taken us as far as he could. But I don't think the players should get a free pass for the recent displays and results. They've been pretty woeful and at times have looked uninterested. On the salaries they get, that's unacceptable. 

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Please let it have been Bristol Boy.

31 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

That guy Steve from Patchway who was on 20man an hour ago must feel a bit of a lemon after confidently predicting that he was going nowhere and would be here at the start of next season

So is “Bristol Boy” Steve from Patchway?!

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not sad to see Johnson go. He'd taken us as far as he could. But I don't think the players should get a free pass for the recent displays and results. They've been pretty woeful and at times have looked uninterested. On the salaries they get, that's unacceptable. 

I thought that Bakes was immense today. The player that I thought we had bought. 

The rest were woeful and have been for a while.

I am relieved he has gone but wish him well. We are in a much better place than when we started and I believe he was genuinely passionate about taking us up.

I hope he learns from this and one day proves to us that he can be the manager that he hopes he can become.

In the meantime, I feel way more optimistic about next season now.

36 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

he had his best players sold from underneath him didnt he?

99% of managers have to do this, they go out and buy other players that ‘fit’ into the same system that the sold player played in. But not Johnson, he just bought numerous players without any thought on where they would play or fit in. Play them a couple times then bring someone else in. 

Johnson’s initial decent runs only came about because Steve Cotterill left him such a good group of footballers. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I am relieved he has gone but wish him well. We are in a much better place than when we started and I believe he was genuinely passionate about taking us up.

I hope he learns from this and one day proves to us that he can be the manager that he hopes he can become.

In the meantime, I feel way more optimistic about next season now.

Surely he'll look back at the results this season and think, why didn't I just help it simple? A settled team and formation couldn't have done any worse.

26 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Looking in from the outside I would say that he's been good for City but just come to the end of his time and has run out of ideas and fails to inspire the players. Having a rich owner now is the ideal time to select a more experienced exciting manager to take you to the next level as you are definitely under performing as a club consIdering the fanbase and facilities at hand 

Well said @Shaun Taylor  I hope that we will come to see LJ as an important part of the club’s history. We need a different mentality and skill set to push on. LJ is important in our past, unfortunately, just not our future. 

Archived