IGNORED

Gone - Lee Johnson relieved of his job. 100% Official

Bat Fastard

15 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

99% of managers have to do this, they go out and buy other players that ‘fit’ into the same system that the sold player played in. But not Johnson, he just bought numerous players without any thought on where they would play or fit in. Play them a couple times then bring someone else in. 

Johnson’s initial decent runs only came about because Steve Cotterill left him such a good group of footballers. 

Spot on. Once the spine of Cotts' squad left things fell apart.

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

99% of managers have to do this, they go out and buy other players that ‘fit’ into the same system that the sold player played in. But not Johnson, he just bought numerous players without any thought on where they would play or fit in. Play them a couple times then bring someone else in. 

Johnson’s initial decent runs only came about because Steve Cotterill left him such a good group of footballers. 

Agreed. Cotts had a decent squad in the making. A lot of people forget that.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

When do we announce Darren Way ?

Sorry .

Well thank you SL you have proven your quality as a leader now show us the ambition with a top level coach for next season’s promotion push . 

? Darren Way is painfully possible with SL's track record!

I wonder if the timing of the sacking  is linked to a decision that will shortly need to be made on Afobe - if the rumour of him costing £7-8m is correct then I can't believe City would want to commit that kind of money to a player without knowing if the new manager will even want him.

1 minute ago, fishy said:

It's the right decision. I wonder if the timing is such that they have someone lined up. If not, why not wait until the end of the season. Promotion is blown now anyway. 

i can only imagine to give the new manager more time as pre season gonna be very short, also gets to assess the squad more...

16 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Agreed. Cotts had a decent squad in the making. A lot of people forget that.

I haven't forgot that, after a fantastic season in the third division, we were in danger of going straight back there the following season.

The right decision but we should thank LJ.  He clearly worked incredibly hard and with real commitment and love for the club.  If he came up short then it wasn’t for a lack of desire and trying.  He has also clearly professionalised the way we do things behind the scenes.

it has been poor to watch for a while but at times during his first few years we played scintillating football if we remember back.

So I wish him well and we all should but I also look forward to the future for the club under fresh management.

38 minutes ago, no_merde said:

Sad sad day ? SL made the wrong decision again

Massive sense of deja vu there.

But no, only his Mum (or maybe his uncle) would think Lee should still be in the job.

That doesn't mean SL will get the next appointment right.

I'm a bit gutted for him, because he worked hard for the club and seemed truly passionate about City: he played an important part in some periods of our recent history (most notably in the survival and in the cup run) and he often had to cope with injuries (especially in 2017/18, when we played amazing football for months and were seriously pushing for promotion), but in the last two seasons there have been signs of regression, despite some good runs/wins maintained us - somehow - in the playoff race.  I don't know if the main reason of these problems has been technical-tactical or managerial, but many times the game plan turned out to be confused/not effective and some players didn't seem to be on the same wavelenght as him....and recently things got worse.

Challenging for promotion with him in charge would have been good and reaching the goal would have been a romantic football story too (in relation to 2008, when Gary and him - as a player - went so close to reach the promised land). Shame we couldn't achieve it together...but I wish him good luck for the next steps of his career.

That being said...the club made the right choice, too late to try adjusting this season but maybe useful as a test to analyse the players reactions and understand who should stay and who can be replaced in the summer. I hope that Steve Lansdown and co. will make an ambitious appointement, compatibly with our actual resources (loss created by Covid situation, etc.).

23 minutes ago, NickJ said:

If fans are grateful for that then we will forever be a yo yo level 2 and 3 side. Man got a job due to nepotism and delivered jack 

Which club top two divisions will recruit the bluffer? 

Zero sympathy for a millionaire jibseeker 

Right at the end, Tomlin runs the ball down to the corner and laughs as he keeps us penned in. Not one player goes over and takes a booking to leave one on him. Our season post COVID break summed up.  Next man in needs to make us a team of winners ala Cotts and GJ teams of the past,  we are starting to become the McIness team again. 

I'm happy with this news IF they now show some ambition and bring in either a recognised, experienced manager or a highly rated upcomer (maybe someone who's been assistant at a bigger club)

If we appoint from within, or go with an ex-player (except Moyes) then I think I'll lose interest next season

The guy had lost his way for some time and had so over complicated things that I'm not sure he understood what he was trying to do himself. It's great to be flexible but changing the system 3-4 times every week? The lack of results is one thing but add to that a style of football can only be described as turgid (their keeper made a great save today and we missed a sitter from a set piece - that was it and worse still represents a higher than average return in 90 minutes for us) and he simply had to go.

I'm sure the effort was there but that isn't enough as he is very well compensated to "try"...……...it just wasn't working.

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Agreed he needed to go, but have a bit of class, no doubt the guy has worked really hard.

he has limitations but I think he loves the club so I hope for many we can at least say thank you for his efforts 

He did well. Saved us, improved us for a time and we are now in rapid decline. 
On another thread ive commented we should thank him but no, its my birthday, and this is the best present. 3 yrs left on his contract, he’ll not go short. He will also find another job as hes renowned as a good coach. 
But as i think we now see, he isnt a Manager and clearly cannot handle players correctly ( like his Dad ). 
This is a very good decision by the club. Unless we appoint Tiny Penis and then we should ask for LJ back!

51 minutes ago, Sturny said:

So Dean till the end of the season? Will we get a manager before then? 

So long as it doesn't become Dean into next season as well....

Him and Jamie Mac are just as much to blame as Johnson. They just don't get as much flack.

Archived