IGNORED

Gone - Lee Johnson relieved of his job. 100% Official

Bat Fastard

Just heard the news. Relieved is how I feel right now. There was no denying that LJ always had the best interest in heart for BCFC but there was also be denying that his time here had run its course. I wish him all the best for the future. 

I'm now now looking forward to the next game. Something I haven't felt recently. Only wish that there was still a glimmer of hope of pulling a rabbit out of the hat and making the playoffs. 

COYR!

Thanks Lee. You did really well. The time had come though, and I think on reflection you’ll agree. The wurzels drifted to commercial stardom without their Adge, maybe it’s time we pushed on without our Lee. Good luck City, let’s push on now. I love my ******* club 

Lee did well to establish us as a Championship side, a competitive one for the longest period since I've been supporting city. However for whatever reason weve gone backwards; I feel like the squad was almost too good for him to manage. I really hope we dont go the cheap route and regress even further though, like 2010-2013. Hughton, Jokanavic or someone with experience for me.

God Im happy tonight.

Think Lee's done a reasonable job overall, but as said above, the last two seasons home games have been like watching paint dry for the best part, which basically cost us play-offs last year, leaving me so deflated. I really struggled in finding the motivation to attend every other week.

The amount of two-faced contributors on this thread is laughable.

LJ should have gone 2-3 seasons ago and you all know it. Was a poor appointment then and was a poor appointment now.

Not sure where this "he loved the club" comes from either? I'd love any club too if they were paying me a sizeable amount for being mediocre at it.

He hasnt taken us forward either. If anything, we have/are going backwards.

We have, once again, been left with a bloated squad, with high earners and no real philosophy or style of play. 

The next managerial appointment will say a lot about SL's and co's true ambition for City. Bring in another minion and things will continue to spiral downwards. Bring in an experienced manager (and I mean manager and not head coach) and maybe, just maybe, we can begin to believe that this club can reach its potential.

1 hour ago, The Hustler said:

LJ should have gone 2-3 seasons ago and you all know it. Was a poor appointment then and was a poor appointment now.

Not sure where this "he loved the club" comes from either? I'd love any club too if they were paying me a sizeable amount for being mediocre at it.

We have, once again, been left with a bloated squad, with high earners and no real philosophy or style of play. 

The next managerial appointment will say a lot about SL's and co's true ambition for City. Bring in another minion and things will continue to spiral downwards. Bring in an experienced manager (and I mean manager and not head coach) and maybe, just maybe, we can begin to believe that this club can reach its potential.

Interesting on your point of manager rather than head coach, Ashton mentioned change of manager. I do wonder with the timing straight after the game whether someone is lined up. 

11 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Interesting on your point of manager rather than head coach, Ashton mentioned change of manager

Good point, but sadly more likely that someone in the media team was told to just write something, and even if Ashton approved it, the lot of them all forgot about the Head Coach job title, the five pillars and all that.

It wouldn't be the first time that the veneer of an organisation with a strategy fell away in the rush to get some PR out, it's almost as if when they forget to spin, there isn't half the footballing philosophy they make out.

9 hours ago, Olé said:

Hi RR, asking now for future OTIB historical accuracy - did Mark Ashton or Steve Lansdown tip you off that this was happening at any prior senior reds lunch?

Your advanced warning of Steve Cotterill's dismissal is still a remarkable storyline, and I want to be sure I'm in on the next one before it goes down in legend.

Bang on. He’s hated the Johnsons since that time Gary reprimanded him for something he did and he “convinced” SL to sack him then.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Lewis Haldane mouthing off on twitter...then immediately surrendering...

That coming from the same guy who used to mouth off saying how 'S***' we were. So getting rid of that 's***' manager and being ambitious is not allowed then? Obsessed with us.

8 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

All the best to lj,,, i wish him well and thank him for his hard work, but i agree with the majority on here that the time had come....

but to be fair,,, as soon as a player attracts a big bid, we sell them,,, sooner or later its not reasonable to expect anymore improvement... selling webster kelly and brownhill this year was going to be practically impossible to recover from.

Come on , every club sells their best players and LJ was given the money to reinvest in the squad. 

A good coach would overcome the losses of players by developing or buying in new ones maybe tweaking the playing style , after all teams cottoned on to Webster and he was far less effective towards the end of his time with us .

This old chestnut is just a ‘ get out ‘ clause . 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Come on , every club sells their best players and LJ was given the money to reinvest in the squad. 

A good coach would overcome the losses of players by developing or buying in new ones maybe tweaking the playing style , after all teams cottoned on to Webster and he was far less effective towards the end of his time with us .

This old chestnut is just a ‘ get out ‘ clause . 

Agree with this, what LJ seemed to fail most spectacularly in, was getting a style of play, to ensure the teams from the youngest academy team to the first team played in a way that allowed players to be developed to move almost seamlessly from team to team.

That doesn’t mean you can’t have some versatile players who can fill in other positions if necessary, it doesn’t mean you have to stifle flair, but it does mean some sort of structure and I could never detect that - if it is there, it’s no obvious, as so many players were like square pegs in round holes.

2 hours ago, The Hustler said:

You’re telling me that if you’d been been invited for a tour of the club, meet the player & staff - you have said this to LJ to his face? Bullsheisse!

2 seasons ago we were playing some of our best football, pinging it about competing in pretty much every game. Something changed after the cup run to the semi final and we’ve since flip flopped between bad runs.

The time had come to move on but you think it’s 2 faced to thank him for some good moments - we know there were some shockers too but we don’t need to drop them in same breath.

If so I wouldn’t ask you write a eulogy if I’d popped it.

It may seem a bit harsh, but my main emotion after hearing this news. is sheer relief.

When you get to the point of almost dreading matchdays, you know something has gone seriously wrong with football and it’s been like that for me for some time now.

No doubt Lee was trying his best, but it just wasn’t happening for him and it was clearly time for him to move on.

Hopefully he’ll find himself a good club and forge a successful career elsewhere.  I just hope our club are ambitious enough to not go for a cheapskate replacement.

I’m really pleased to now be able to look forward to the next match, which I haven’t done for a long while, so hopefully we’ll see some improvements on the pitch.  What I’m looking forward to most is seeing our players under someone else’s instruction and guidance and hopefully see how much more they are capable of.

One thing is certain, this next managerial appointment is massively important.

2 hours ago, Red Alert said:

If so I wouldn’t ask you write a eulogy if I’d popped it.

I agree with your post but I am even more interested in this after life communication app!

I think Lee is likeable with a burning desire to win that impacts negatively on his man management skills - the best managers don't publicly name and shame players. 

Wolves and Burnley have shown that the successful managers have a small size squad that makes management easier as players get games and have a sense of togetherness that isn't apparent right now in City's bloated squad.  Lee should have done this and  relied on younger players coming through to fill in when it is necessary.  There was a time when the team were playing attractive high press football. I am not sure what made LJ change from that - possibly he thought such a high intensity style caused the end of season down turn in results due to burn out.  

Poor football, to many long runs of poor results, a non-performing bloated and expensive squad combined with an over cautious pathway for younger players such as Walsh, Morrell and O'leary isn't ideal for job retention.  Anyway, good luck to Lee as he did have a genuine feeling for the Club but he has just lost his way here.

5 hours ago, The Hustler said:

LJ should’ve gone 3 seasons ago after the league cup run? ????

I am sorry, but I am glad he is gone, I didn't want him when he was appointed and got a lot of flack on this forum for saying he would never ever take City to the promised land. OK he did well in avoiding relegation which probably would have happened if Cotts had stayed and for the first couple of seasons after improved the finishing positions. The last two seasons however the football has been dire and he didn't seem to be able to change it apart from constant tinkering. The only thing that I can congratulate him for was that great run in the League Cup and the buzz that gave everyone. So thanks LJ, good bye and good luck with your next position, which I think should be a number two somewhere to get more experience and hope all works out for you

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

....and yet we were 6th at the end of January, won again 1st game in Feb, before the wheels came off.

That’s the bit I don’t get.

Been the same in each of the last 3 seasons really.

Yes was discussing this online with a Derby mate last night (who was surprised LJ had gone). I hadn’t quite appreciated the full extent of the cliff fall until I looked at this:

On 12 Feb the night we beat Derby we were 10 points ahead of Derby and 3 points off the top 2. We're now 6 points behind Derby and 19 points off the top 2. That was our last win.

Edit: 22 points off top 2 following West Brom’s result today. 

9 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes was discussing this online with a Derby mate last night (who was surprised LJ had gone). I hadn’t quite appreciated the full extent of the cliff fall until I looked at this:

On 12 Feb the night we beat Derby we were 10 points ahead of Derby and 3 points off the top 2. We're now 6 points behind Derby and 19 points off the top 2. That was our last win.

Edit: 22 points off top 2 following West Brom’s result today. 

What makes it worse is that none of the top clubs have exactly been on fire have they?!

Archived