Gone - Lee Johnson relieved of his job. 100% Official

Thanks for getting us to where we are now considering we were looking at going down when he was appointed.

Improvement year upon year, but this season is a step backwards, and the performances this season (arguably longer) have been well below par. With the squad we have now, we should be up within a bloody good chance of the playoffs at least.

He's ran out of excuses, can't blame anybody else now, and I wonder if the final nail was actually his "players being sold for whatever reason" comment after the game tonight.

Time for a new set of eyes, time to appoint somebody who can assess the squad over the remaining games, and get cracking during this shorter pre-season.

We've had the up and coming coach, and he's done fairly well over all, regardless of whether you like the bloke or not (which I don't and never really have). Now is the time to really show how much this club actually wants to get to the Premiership.

Appoint someone with the experience of getting promotion, and someone who the players will start playing for, because they look like they stopped playing for Johnson months ago.

This next appointment will either make or break the club.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, eastonboy said:

Right back at you.

If you look at the last 4 years and the unprecedented amounts of money he has spent, and think he has done a good job, then there's no helping you.

(Thank you Lee for the fine cup run culminating in giving arguably the  best team in Europe a run for their money.)

Interesting hearing the sky commentators saying he's doing an 'ok' job.  Which is about spot on imo.  It wasn't bad but wasn't good either.

• Like 1

I’m gutted, even though the run and football had been poor but we have a young manager that is intelligent and will go on to better things. He is a Bristol city man and we are middle of the championship. Over the last 15 years championship has not been a given. We have been carried away chasing the play offs and dependent on who we bring in I feel this could be a bad decision. The losing streaks have been hard to take but I feel we are thinking we are due something. We aren’t guaranteed play offs, we have been there once in 2008. Johnson has a great career ahead of him and although it hasn’t worked out here I worry about who we are going to bring in. I hope we are as big as some believe we are but we have never done well with a new manager. Over the last two seasons we have had chances at the play offs. I feel the frustration of being competitive in the championship has been the downfall and hope we can bring somebody in that can move us forward rather than fall back that is usual with a new appointment here. Let’s see what the new season brings.

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

Thanks Lee. I`ve never been LJ out, just more sat on the fence really but even I can see we`ve gone as far as we can and change is needed - a bit like the final days of GJ IMO. There is no doubt that the club is in a better place now than it was four and a bit years ago.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Nobody is celebrating,after 2 years of to put it bluntly boring nonsense football it’s the correct decision,wish him the best but onwards and upwards for the city I feel

All the cheering on here?  Looks like a little celebrating going on. Anyway, I agree. Onwards and upwards. 

hes done better than a number of shite appointments in the past,hands tied by the financial programme he has done extremely well. sad to see him go in that respect but relieved we might see a fresh approach to the playing set up now,with hopefully some better performances.  lets hope this season was a blip on our march towards the promised land. onwards and upwards from now on in. cant see dean holden changing much unless hes secretly been saying he would but who knows. COYR  a very happy bunny tonight

Had to go, and happy we have made the change. Lee Johnson worked hard and helped establish us at this level. Best decision for both parties, will get a clap if he ever returns to Ashton Gate as a guest or oppositions manager.

15 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I definitely wanted him gone but it’s not personal. He did his best for the club and fans, we’re a stronger club after his hard work. 

Hope he is okay and goes onto better things. 

Problem is, if you read a lot of posts, it is personal to a lot of people.

• Like 1

Overdue, but at least we have time to appoint the new manager before the new season starts. It simply couldn’t go on any longer. 

LJ - thank you for the first half of 2017/18, beating United, moving Reid up front. But it had long run its course.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I assume this has been on the cards for a while then, was he aware today was male or break?

No idea. I thought the build up to this match has been very, very, low key, even with the covid restrictions.

i honestly think the final nail was his comments about having to sell players ‘for whatever reasons’. I doubt SL liked hearing that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, grifty said:

Problem is, if you read a lot of posts, it is personal to a lot of people.

Yes, but that's just a bit daft on their behalf 

• Like 1