Gone - Lee Johnson relieved of his job. 100% Official

36 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

he had his best players sold from underneath him didnt he?

99% of managers have to do this, they go out and buy other players that ‘fit’ into the same system that the sold player played in. But not Johnson, he just bought numerous players without any thought on where they would play or fit in. Play them a couple times then bring someone else in. 

Johnson’s initial decent runs only came about because Steve Cotterill left him such a good group of footballers. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I am relieved he has gone but wish him well. We are in a much better place than when we started and I believe he was genuinely passionate about taking us up.

I hope he learns from this and one day proves to us that he can be the manager that he hopes he can become.

In the meantime, I feel way more optimistic about next season now.

Surely he'll look back at the results this season and think, why didn't I just help it simple? A settled team and formation couldn't have done any worse.

26 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Looking in from the outside I would say that he's been good for City but just come to the end of his time and has run out of ideas and fails to inspire the players. Having a rich owner now is the ideal time to select a more experienced exciting manager to take you to the next level as you are definitely under performing as a club consIdering the fanbase and facilities at hand 

Well said @Shaun Taylor  I hope that we will come to see LJ as an important part of the club’s history. We need a different mentality and skill set to push on. LJ is important in our past, unfortunately, just not our future. 

15 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

99% of managers have to do this, they go out and buy other players that ‘fit’ into the same system that the sold player played in. But not Johnson, he just bought numerous players without any thought on where they would play or fit in. Play them a couple times then bring someone else in. 

Johnson’s initial decent runs only came about because Steve Cotterill left him such a good group of footballers. 

Spot on. Once the spine of Cotts' squad left things fell apart.

Edited by Red Exile
16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So is “Bristol Boy” Steve from Patchway?!

No, Bristol Boy is Ian from the Planet Selfimportance

Edited by eastonboy
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Agreed. Cotts had a decent squad in the making. A lot of people forget that.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

When do we announce Darren Way ?

Sorry .

Well thank you SL you have proven your quality as a leader now show us the ambition with a top level coach for next season’s promotion push . 

😆 Darren Way is painfully possible with SL's track record!

I wonder if the timing of the sacking  is linked to a decision that will shortly need to be made on Afobe - if the rumour of him costing £7-8m is correct then I can't believe City would want to commit that kind of money to a player without knowing if the new manager will even want him.

1 minute ago, fishy said:

It's the right decision. I wonder if the timing is such that they have someone lined up. If not, why not wait until the end of the season. Promotion is blown now anyway. 

i can only imagine to give the new manager more time as pre season gonna be very short, also gets to assess the squad more...

16 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Agreed. Cotts had a decent squad in the making. A lot of people forget that.

I haven't forgot that, after a fantastic season in the third division, we were in danger of going straight back there the following season.

• Like 1

The right decision but we should thank LJ.  He clearly worked incredibly hard and with real commitment and love for the club.  If he came up short then it wasn’t for a lack of desire and trying.  He has also clearly professionalised the way we do things behind the scenes.

it has been poor to watch for a while but at times during his first few years we played scintillating football if we remember back.

So I wish him well and we all should but I also look forward to the future for the club under fresh management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, no_merde said:

Sad sad day 😢 SL made the wrong decision again

Massive sense of deja vu there.

But no, only his Mum (or maybe his uncle) would think Lee should still be in the job.

That doesn't mean SL will get the next appointment right.

Time to crack open that bottle of Teeling 28year old single malt I’ve been saving.  Delicious.

good bye little man.  Hopefully never have to see your smug little face again

• Like 2

I'm a bit gutted for him, because he worked hard for the club and seemed truly passionate about City: he played an important part in some periods of our recent history (most notably in the survival and in the cup run) and he often had to cope with injuries (especially in 2017/18, when we played amazing football for months and were seriously pushing for promotion), but in the last two seasons there have been signs of regression, despite some good runs/wins maintained us - somehow - in the playoff race.  I don't know if the main reason of these problems has been technical-tactical or managerial, but many times the game plan turned out to be confused/not effective and some players didn't seem to be on the same wavelenght as him....and recently things got worse.

Challenging for promotion with him in charge would have been good and reaching the goal would have been a romantic football story too (in relation to 2008, when Gary and him - as a player - went so close to reach the promised land). Shame we couldn't achieve it together...but I wish him good luck for the next steps of his career.

That being said...the club made the right choice, too late to try adjusting this season but maybe useful as a test to analyse the players reactions and understand who should stay and who can be replaced in the summer. I hope that Steve Lansdown and co. will make an ambitious appointement, compatibly with our actual resources (loss created by Covid situation, etc.).

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 5
23 minutes ago, NickJ said:

If fans are grateful for that then we will forever be a yo yo level 2 and 3 side. Man got a job due to nepotism and delivered jack 

Which club top two divisions will recruit the bluffer? 

Zero sympathy for a millionaire jibseeker