IGNORED

Thank you LJ (Merged)

Lez

Completely agree - LJ was passionate about the club, usually came across well in the media, and there were some great moments, that win over Man Utd being a really memorable one. 

LJ’s time was up at City, but I wish him well. 

LJ achieved a lot in the first 2 full seasons, and even had a great run for a while last season in terms of results away from home. He has definitely raised expectations for us to be looking upwards to the Premier League rather than over shoulder to League One. Thanks are due, but all things must pass eventually, especially if they are only backwards and sideways passes!

Best memories was the whole cup run and a procession of Premier League clubs rolling up and being comprehensively put to the sword with some great football in the bargain.

I thank Lee for that and felt so much pride in the club at that point. Sadly, that run later turned into a millstone round his neck, as it set a standard he was never able to reach again.

Hope he achieves success somewhere else in the football world and sure he’ll get a good welcome if he ever brings a team back to the Gate

No its not unpopular?........The vast majority of City Suppoters appreciate what Lj has done for us, and some of the highlights have been rightly pointed out.  I and many others wish him well in his future career and hope he succeeds whereever he ends up.  It was just a case of, after 4 and a half years, he had come as far as he could,  and change was needed.  Well done SL for seeing this, and acting accordingly, before it became toxic (more toxic?).  Having done the right thing......now the major issue is who we replace him with?  It's a very very important appointment, which they HAVE to get correct.  Lets hope. for the sake of all loyal supporters, that they take their time, and make it up to us, for what has been a pretty awful 6 or so months.

16 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Lee, in my opinion, has been the best manager for this club since I've been supporting (over 30 years).

Yes, Cotts had that wonder season, but LJ has left this club in a far better place overall. We are the closest we've been to the top flight then we've ever been. Over the 4.5 years that LJ has been in charge, he's take us from a championship / league one yo-yo club, to a well respected and settled top ten championship club. 

Like it or not, Bristol City was seen as a bit of a footballing boneyard, but we honestly believe that this has changed over the period he's been with us, not only for the win over Manchester United, but the ethos that he has installed throughout the club. He did install an identity at the club, which has gained the respect of people within the footballing world. Henry Winter has gushed about they way City have progressed. 

On the whole, Lee has achieved more that we failed during his time here. He loves the club. It wasn't just a job for him, he clearly loves Bristol. I have no doubt he will be devastated this morning. 

I think Lee hit a ceiling with us, and for whatever reason, couldn't take us that tiny step forward to the next level, but I feel he has the capability to do it in the future. 

Let's not punish someone for the effort they have poured into this club. It was clear that he lives and breathes football and, for a large part of his life, Bristol City. He has really pushed this club forward, for which I personally will always be greatful. 

Thanks Lee, I appreciate everything you have done for this club. Sorry it didn't work out, but it wasn't through want of trying on your part. Maybe if you could have kept hold of some players, things could have been different. All about those tiny margins. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who we can attract due to the position Lee has left this club in and the reputation that HE has helped build.

GOOD LUCK LEE, AND THANK YOU. 

Yep........just imagine if we could have kept Webster, Brownhill, Kelly, Bryan and Reid, things would almost certainly be different. LJ, by his dealings and Academy graduates, made this club a lot of money, which should not be forgotten.

I too would like to thank Lee for all the hard work he put in and the good times he brought us.  Great to have a manager with genuine hope and belief for our club.  I for one really wish that he could have been the one who took us to the promised land and though his time was up, I say goodbye with a very heavy heart 

Lee and his family are settled in the area and I do hate the way that the managerial merry-go-round has profound effects on the managers and their families.

I hope that the new incumbent sees Bristol City in a similar light to Lee and not as just another job on me circuit.

32 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Over the 4.5 years that LJ has been in charge, he's taken us from a championship / league one yo-yo club, to a well respected and settled top ten championship club

I agree with a fair bit of your post but let's not rewrite history here - we had a single top ten finish under Lee.

Since he joined we've finished 18th, 17th, 11th and 8th. I think we're a mid table club under Lee, not a settled top ten one personally.

If he kept going this year it looks like we'd have had a single top ten finish in five seasons.

My top, top LJ moment was when he corrected a local media bod mindlessly trotting out the erroneous "red half of Bristol" nonsense by saying something like "the red four fifths, more like"

That was a head coach knowing the area, this club and its supporters, in a way no other hc will likely do.

The football from September '17 (Derby 4:1) to Man City away was damn good, too.

1 hour ago, semblar said:

I doubt that anybody will stick their head up above the parapet and claim that this was the wrong time for Lee to go. All of us can point to things that meant that the football wasn't the enjoyable experience we all want.

But regardless of that, there are still some real highlights, not least the Man U victory. So I thought it would be good to have at least one thread where people could pick out a single good memory of his tenure and say thanks for the positives from his time with us. Let us be graceful in our farewell as well as grateful that it has come - so please try not to regurgitate all the stuff we have had on many, many other threads pointing out why you wanted him to go, even if only on this one thread.

It was time to go Lee - but thank you for some cracking memories along the way

Totally agree. 

I wish Lee success in his future (unless he's managing a team that plays us!) I'd always shake his hand. (social distancing notwithstanding ? )

I  think he always came across as a decent, intelligent guy.

Folk went on about Johnsonisms in his interviews, but when you hear the lame cliches and semi-coherent jibberish that some managers spout in air, he was like Stephen Fry addressing the Cambridge Union by comparison!

Unfortunately, and ironically, for someone who styled himself Head Coach, he was not that great at coaching and he wasn't a great morale lifter in adversity: Which is why one bad defeat often led to a downward spiral of losses.  That sort of man management is probably one of the hardest things to teach, and to a degree I think it is instinctive - you either have it within you, or you don't.

Now comes the scary bit for us fans. A bad appointment could piss away the foundations that have been built here, in one season. But equally, the right man could push on and achieve, based on what Lee had started.

2 hours ago, Bainsey said:

Converting Bobby Reid from a largely frustrating midfielder with potential to a quality Championship striker. And of course his development of Tammy Abraham during his brilliant loan spell for us.

You reckon he developed Tammy? 

Even the bluffer wouldn't claim that surely. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

No its not unpopular?........The vast majority of City Suppoters appreciate what Lj has done for us, and some of the highlights have been rightly pointed out.  I and many others wish him well in his future career and hope he succeeds whereever he ends up.  It was just a case of, after 4 and a half years, he had come as far as he could,  and change was needed.  Well done SL for seeing this, and acting accordingly, before it became toxic (more toxic?).  Having done the right thing......now the major issue is who we replace him with?  It's a very very important appointment, which they HAVE to get correct.  Lets hope. for the sake of all loyal supporters, that they take their time, and make it up to us, for what has been a pretty awful 6 or so months.

You simply cannot say "the vast majority appreciate what LJ has done" You don't represent or have a handle on the feelings of a probable 50k plus fanbase. 

Likewise people such as myself who consider Johnson to be an arrogant over rated coach who clearly cannot man manage can't claim that to be the majority view either. 

LJ was a great manager for us, just look at the evidence. 

Improvement every season

Turned average players into sellable assetts

Made money for the club which was one of SL things was to make us self sufficient 

Took Matty Taylor from rovers and the reaction for that alone was incredible

Man U win who will ever forget that

There's deffo been many more highs than lies and some of the comments when it was announced of him leaving were disgraceful. 

4 hours ago, Natchfever said:

You simply cannot say "the vast majority appreciate what LJ has done" You don't represent or have a handle on the feelings of a probable 50k plus fanbase. 

Likewise people such as myself who consider Johnson to be an arrogant over rated coach who clearly cannot man manage can't claim that to be the majority view either. 

Sorry thats my opinion..........you have yours,  I believe that over 51% of Ciry Supporters appreciate what he has done for the club,  I also realise there are plenty of narrow minded individuals who have a different view, but IMHO they are in the minority.  As I say it's just my opinion, it's not a fact.

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry thats my opinion..........you have yours,  I believe that over 51% of Ciry Supporters appreciate what he has done for the club,  I also realise there are plenty of narrow minded individuals who have a different view, but IMHO they are in the minority.  As I say it's just my opinion, it's not a fact.

1.you don't know the percentage either way obviously. 

2.People with a different view are narrow minded. Nice respect shown there. 

Archived