IGNORED

Mark Ashton out

bristolcitysweden

Ashton is terrific and getting good deals, however he is a salesman, not a football man. 

Why did he sign Palmer when we had Pato, Szmodics etc and don't play with CAM anyway? Surely he should of been asking the plan and getting players in who could play that. 

A plan and an identity need to run through the club, and if not then he should of been asking why not. Sorry but not good enough in my opinion for someone in his role. 

2 minutes ago, stoke giiford red said:

Did he not appoint LJ?

Not so sure tbh, arrived after Cotts had been sacked and 20 ish days before Lee was appointed, think Lee could have been a SL appointment with Mark going along with it. This time in theory will be Mark leading the search.

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Anyone who witnessed him at the supporters meeting after they raised disabled and kids ST prices a few years ago will know what a slimeball he is. He is a major reason why I cannot bring myself to attend anymore. Mr Corporate. Not for me

What did he do?

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100% should go as well.

His scattergun approach to transfers is every bit as much an issue as the now departed head coach.

Willing to bet that he doesn’t, though.

Big call though Graham by the Lansdowns to let MA go. Will the Sports village planning application going in soon.

JL is basically a puppet chairman; and not up to running the club. SL obviously wanted to take a step back, and have someone in to run Bristol Sport for him.

Its not just City with MA. Its the rugby, basketball, womens football etc.

Maybe a director of football rather than MA; would be a better option. An expensive one though, as there's not too many good ones out there.

22 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Anyone can do that ffs. Hes been just as bad as johnson. Bye bye Ashton

Ok ..........lets see you do it then?   Looking forward to you putting in your CV, you keyboard warrior you........Ha!

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not so sure tbh, arrived after Cotts had been sacked and 20 ish days before Lee was appointed, think Lee could have been a SL appointment with Mark going along with it. This time in theory will be Mark leading the search.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11726/10157839/lee-johnson-appointed-bristol-city-manager

MA recommended to the board to appoint  LJ as manager 

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100% should go as well.

His scattergun approach to transfers is every bit as much an issue as the now departed head coach.

Willing to bet that he doesn’t, though.

His next appointment will be telling.  Not easy to get it right, but we must have a manager that doesn’t feel like a cheap option or a mate.

20 minutes ago, hodge said:

Ashton arrived well before Cotts was fired (in about the Nov), starting to manoeuvre things behind the scenes.  Cotts threw out all of Ashton’s recruitment stuff on arrival.  It was never gonna end well for Cotts with MA coming in.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

How is his approach scattergun ? He doesn't pick the transfers but just makes it happen.

Ashton is in charge of the whole recruitment philosophy. He does pick the transfers and makes them happen. 

1 hour ago, stoke giiford red said:

Did he not appoint LJ?

55 minutes ago, hodge said:

41 minutes ago, stoke giiford red said:

39 minutes ago, hodge said:

Fair enough, 1 appointment and in on the whole 1 generally successful appointment 

Ashton had absolutely no say in LJ arriving. LJ was SL’s man all the way. Ashton came aboard in December, a month before LJ arrived, but the appointment of LJ was 100% SL. 

How is his approach scattergun ? He doesn't pick the transfers but just makes it happen.

Signing Watkins & Adelakun when we only needed one player.

Signing Szmodics & Palmer in the same window when we already had Paterson.

You are absolving him of responsibility, he has signed a lot of mediocre shite.

And again I'm sorry because i think you are even further off beam with that one

Pubs have been open in Sweden for some time Tone! :) 

38 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

For how many seasons will we now pay LJ. 3? 4? I know he is just a puppet but so is LJ.

I’d be surprised if the termination clause was more than 12 months pay, or you get another job, whichever happens first.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Ashton is terrific and getting good deals, however he is a salesman, not a football man. 

Why did he sign Palmer when we had Pato, Szmodics etc and don't play with CAM anyway? Surely he should of been asking the plan and getting players in who could play that. 

A plan and an identity need to run through the club, and if not then he should of been asking why not. Sorry but not good enough in my opinion for someone in his role. 

We didn't play with a CAM but then again we didn't have an identity, we have chopped and changed formation like it's going out of fashion and we were crying out for an actual attacking mid. No offence to Patto but he's not that sit behind the strikers and create chances type of player, he's more influential by getting into the box himself and causing issues, Szmodics came after Palmer, not on a permanent but Palmer was on loan in January, Szmodics joined in July and I would hazard a guess that Szmodics is one for the future, Palmer was supposed to be the creative man to sit behind the striker/s straight away only LJ didn't use him that way.

I'll be interested to see if this potentially saves us from losing Palmer and maybe Eliasson, I mean if a quality manager is appointed then I could see them sticking around to make a fresh push with a more experienced man leading them. If we get another yes man the chances are that we'll see both of them leave and I am very confident that Eliasson will be one that we'll kick ourselves for losing, Palmer very well could be as well.

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ashton is in charge of the whole recruitment philosophy. He does pick the transfers and makes them happen. 

Ashton had absolutely no say in LJ arriving. LJ was SL’s man all the way. Ashton came aboard in December, a month before LJ arrived, but the appointment of LJ was 100% SL. 

No he doesn't. The manager identifies his transfer targets and Ashton does the business

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

We didn't play with a CAM but then again we didn't have an identity, we have chopped and changed formation like it's going out of fashion and we were crying out for an actual attacking mid.

But MA had to push LJ, align on the approach for the season and buy the right players. He didn't. He bought all types of players and is part of the reason we now have a squad of many players and many formations. 

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Signing Watkins & Adelakun when we only needed one player.

Signing Szmodics & Palmer in the same window when we already had Paterson.

You are absolving him of responsibility, he has signed a lot of mediocre shite.

At the managers request

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Genuine question, what has Mark Ashton done wrong?

He worked with Lee Johnson because that was his job, he did not pick tactics, he did not deal with the players or pick the team, he has brought us great players and done amazing deals to ensure they'd join us. If anything I want Ashton to stay and let the new manager do his thing and when he needs help to land a deal that's where Ashton should step in and give the new manager less to deal with but ensure the player joins us.

Seen our midfield recently- that’s down to him 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Where is Hughton linked with a job here apart from on otib 

But that's the point. He is being linked on otib by the fans....when we sacked Millen the fans wanted Mcinnes, when we sacked him they wanted o',Driscoll......the fact fans are now calling for someone who has prem promotions as well as experience with multiple teams in prem shows how much we have grown Nd expectations have changed.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

For how many seasons will we now pay LJ. 3? 4? I know he is just a puppet but so is LJ.

For someone to be a puppet there has to be a puppet master pulling the strings. In that case neither LJ or MA can be at fault because as puppets they have to dance to the masters tune. Is it the Lansdown's you really want rid of? 

Archived