IGNORED

Mark Ashton out

bristolcitysweden

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Signing Watkins & Adelakun when we only needed one player.

Signing Szmodics & Palmer in the same window when we already had Paterson.

You are absolving him of responsibility, he has signed a lot of mediocre shite.

MA is not the football tactician he's the finance man responsible for the smooth running of the club sans football. Its his job to get the best deal possible for the players identified by the football staff. This he has done. 

I don’t get the vitriol towards Ashton. Maybe those that dislike him will be proven right but in my eyes he has done almost everything right that I’d expect from him. 

I will say recruitment has been scattergun. I will also say we have been left short in some positions once or twice with late sales.

That said we have gotten a lot right under him as well. He has secured some amazing deals for us and negotiated some large deals. I think the next manager/head coach will tell us a lot more about Ashton. 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

And again I'm sorry because i think you are even further off beam with that one

We could say that MA was part of the team that failed to replace Brownhill adequately in January and they brought Markus Henriksen to waste a wage instead.

21 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

MA is not the football tactician he's the finance man responsible for the smooth running of the club sans football. Its his job to get the best deal possible for the players identified by the football staff. This he has done. 

Nope, as @Harry says that is 100% not how it works.

He has control of the scouting network, if you believe none of our signings are down to him you are naive.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

We didn't play with a CAM but then again we didn't have an identity, we have chopped and changed formation like it's going out of fashion and we were crying out for an actual attacking mid. No offence to Patto but he's not that sit behind the strikers and create chances type of player, he's more influential by getting into the box himself and causing issues, Szmodics came after Palmer, not on a permanent but Palmer was on loan in January, Szmodics joined in July and I would hazard a guess that Szmodics is one for the future, Palmer was supposed to be the creative man to sit behind the striker/s straight away only LJ didn't use him that way.

I'll be interested to see if this potentially saves us from losing Palmer and maybe Eliasson, I mean if a quality manager is appointed then I could see them sticking around to make a fresh push with a more experienced man leading them. If we get another yes man the chances are that we'll see both of them leave and I am very confident that Eliasson will be one that we'll kick ourselves for losing, Palmer very well could be as well.

I posted earlier that I think Eliasson is part way through agreeing a transfer out.  No source, but just convenient that transfer window officially opens on 01.07 and he’s got “one if those injuries” that Lee unconvincingly mentions.  He has a new, pro-active agent.  I think he will be on his way irrespective of manager.

Earlier today I also wrote that some players are likely to want out if LJ remains....Palmer surely one of those.  Things might be different now.  I do wonder if his thigh might be better on Wednesday?

I don’t know where the power behind decisions lies at AG especially in the transfer market but it would naive to think that MA wasn’t involved in quite a few of them. In fairness there have been good signings as well as bad ones but there certainly have been some odd comings and goings especially loans in the last season. 
In my opinion O’Leary, Walsh,Moore and Morrell are all Championship standard and maybe Vyner and Szmodiks as well. But the biggest error is having far to big a squad. Having over half the squad unhappy is asking for trouble. If a small squad suffers with injuries then that’s where the loan market comes in. 

20 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

And if you believe MA brings players into the club on his say so you are equally so. 

So here’s a question for you.

We sell Marlon Pack on deadline day & then replace him with Adam Nagy, you think that was LJ’s preferred option, do you?

Strange that the agent in that deal was exactly the same one as with Djuric, Pisano & Pereira too, isn’t it?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So here’s a question for you.

We sell Marlon Pack on deadline day & then replace him with Adam Nagy, you think that was LJ’s preferred option, do you?

Strange that the agent in that deal was exactly the same one as with Djuric, Pisano & Pereira too, isn’t it?

I think it was a collective decision, not MAs alone. How many times have we been told that on players coming into the club LJ had the final say. In Pack's case he was offered a 3 year deal at Cardiff, something we were never going to offer, and on the face of it a current international player coming from Serie A as a replacement looked a very good deal. I liked Pack and constantly supported him but I was in the minority on OTIB, and there is an argument that, like LJ, he'd taken us as far as he could go. Personally I'd have got rid of Korey before him, as Korey's passing range is limited and he plays the game too slow, getting caught on the ball too often for success at the top of the championship, but that's my opinion. I don't necessarily expect you to agree with it. After all it would be very dull if we agreed about everything.

For me, on checks and balances of money through sales, and the quality of players brought into the club, MA is ahead. Some of the deals he has made have been truly remarkable. Yes there have been mistakes, but you name me one club or one CEO who hasn't made them. Anyone who thinks transfer activity is easy has either spent too much time playing championship manager or has little grasp of football in the real world. If you think differently fine, but down the line I'll see you on fantasy Island. 

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Mark's not had to bring in a new manager/HC yet, the club profile has been raised while he's been here and he does an excellent job with how much we receive when selling players. Think we'd need another poor manager or something terrible off pitch to happen for Mark to go.

Yes he has, Ashton interviewed LJ and recommended him to the Board to be our Head Coach 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think it was a collective decision, not MAs alone. How many times have we been told that on players coming into the club LJ had the final say. In Pack's case he was offered a 3 year deal at Cardiff, something we were never going to offer, and on the face of it a current international player coming from Serie A as a replacement looked a very good deal. I liked Pack and constantly supported him but I was in the minority on OTIB, and there is an argument that, like LJ, he'd taken us as far as he could go. Personally I'd have got rid of Korey before him, as Korey's passing range is limited and he plays the game too slow, getting caught on the ball too often for success at the top of the championship, but that's my opinion. I don't necessarily expect you to agree with it. After all it would be very dull if we agreed about everything.

For me, on checks and balances of money through sales, and the quality of players brought into the club, MA is ahead. Some of the deals he has made have been truly remarkable. Yes there have been mistakes, but you name me one club or one CEO who hasn't made them. Anyone who thinks transfer activity is easy has either spent too much time playing championship manager or has little grasp of football in the real world. If you think differently fine, but down the line I'll see you on fantasy Island. 

I think had we signed some of these and kept Pack and Brownhill things may have been different. Honestly thought the Webster deal profit, the Reid, Bryan, Flint- and yes some squad players- and of course let's not forget Kelly sale at the back end of last season- would have pushed us towards some stability.

One hypothetical idea:

Pack Nagy

Brownhill

Pack and Nagy double pivot. Brownhill either in front to create those triangles, or central in a 4-2-3-1- central in the 3 in that shape- easy enough to pull right or drop back to form a central 3 as and when.

I also think the formation which even had some success in 2018/19 didn't get the best out of Pack and Brownhill- an extra CM alongside Pack would've freed him up a bit- maybe drop Diedhiou and go, thinking last season:

Pack Walsh (Smith when fit)

Brownhill

Hegeler could've- if fit- partnered Pack maybe. Get those triangles, Weimann could have been the central striker, with O'Dowda and Paterson or Eliasson- 2 of those 3- roaming somewhat. We didn't explore possibilities did we.

I accepted their sales for financial reasons but I wonder if we needed to sell both and Webster in the same season.

Massengo and Smith compete for strong first reserve, safe in the knowledge that Morrell and Walsh will come back after successful loan stints and hopefully battle hardened, better players as a result.

I digress but I think we could have found a way- how about Pack-Massengo with Brownhill in front? We'll never know now!

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Not correct sir. Trust me, it honestly doesn’t work like that. 

The recruitment at most, if not all Championship clubs involves a significant number of national and international scouts, coaches, agents, negotiators assistants and head coach and of course the football industry grapevine.

Ultimately it should be the managers final decision on whether he wants to sign a player. I don’t t think that’s always been the case at City tho.

A question - who actually recruited and signed David James?      :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Baby with the bath water? Don’t be even more daft than usual.

To be fair if the club has genuine aspirations to get to the Premier league it should perhaps focus on the two most important roles at the club one of which is CEO. 

Does anyone think Mr Ashton would attract any of the promotion candidates? Not sure tbh. 

He seems on the whole to have done an OK job but that might be spin doctoring? 

I think we could probably do better. 

6 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

To be fair if the club has genuine aspirations to get to the Premier league it should perhaps focus on the two most important roles at the club one of which is CEO. 

Does anyone think Mr Ashton would attract any of the promotion candidates? Not sure tbh. 

He seems on the whole to have done an OK job but that might be spin doctoring? 

I think we could probably do better. 

He has made some excellent deals for the club, the money from Kelly and Webster seems all out of context with their achievements so far. 

14 hours ago, Selred said:

But MA had to push LJ, align on the approach for the season and buy the right players. He didn't. He bought all types of players and is part of the reason we now have a squad of many players and many formations. 

But LJ says who he wants and then MA goes out to try and secure them right? You're making it sound like MA just signs randomly from a hat of names, that blatently isn't how the set up works, that would see MA out on his ass in no time as SL wouldn't put up with that. 

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

But LJ says who he wants and then MA goes out to try and secure them right? You're making it sound like MA just signs randomly from a hat of names, that blatently isn't how the set up works, that would see MA out on his ass in no time as SL wouldn't put up with that. 

I don't believe that is the case, no. We have a recruitment team. 

But even if it was, if you're MA and LJ says he wants a winger (Elliasson), attacking midfielder (Palmer And Szmodics), more centre backs (Benkovic) wouldn't you ask what is the plan? Are we playing with widemen? With someone behind the striker? With a back 3? Before signing them all. 

I feel like his role could prevent us getting or cause problems in the future if we get an experienced manager. English managers famously don't work well with a director of football.

It seemed like we signed a lot of players LJ clearly didn't want or fit the system he wanted to play.

I don't think you can blame selling and not replacing Webster, Brownhil and Pack on LJ. 

Jury is definitely out on Ashton seems more like a business man than a football man to me and has no real track record to prove me wrong. 

We need to appoint someone who can happily work effectively with a director of football or get rid of Ashton. 

• Admin
16 hours ago, Lez said:

No, Ashton has raised the profile of this club tenfold....fact is we now have top managers like Hughton linked to the BCFC job and a lot of that is down to Ashton.

Linked.....

Let's get excited when one joins 

He's responsible for plenty of the dross we have signed. 

For me now is the time for a massive clear out as we are stagnating dangerously and are ready to push on to a higher level 

Previous recruitment doesn't have any indication of this happening 

every successful player we signed was down to johnson every failure was down to ashton simple as that really,

Any who wants ashton gone is frankly a moron,

We wouldn't of got a quarter of the money we received without him and we wouldn't of signed the likes of Wells and Webster without him

Either LJ was doing a good job with the bad players MA signed, and therefore shouldn’t have been sacked...

... or LJ was underachieving with the squad signed by MA (and we should be top 6).

One of them has to be doing a good job. On balance, I think MA has done well. 

Archived