IGNORED

Next manager odds

And Its Smith

2 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

Lampard left because Chelsea came calling , if lampard stayed at derby for another year they would’ve kept the likes of mount and they would’ve  more than likely gone up this year .

when Liverpool come calling for SG he will leave .... but can’t see that happening for atleast another 5 years as Klopp is one of the best managers in the world ,

I say get SG in 

Not for me. 

7 minutes ago, Lez said:

Not for me. 

On the subject of Gerrard.

While the thought of having a relatively young manager with his experience and conncetions in the game as manager is on the face of it quite appealing....

The thing i'd hate more than anything would be the inevitable media circus and the media calling us "Steven Gerrard's Bristol City" - for that reason alone I wouldnt want him

9 minutes ago, cityal said:

On the subject of Gerrard.

While the thought of having a relatively young manager with his experience and conncetions in the game as manager is on the face of it quite appealing....

The thing i'd hate more than anything would be the inevitable media circus and the media calling us "Steven Gerrard's Bristol City" - for that reason alone I wouldnt want him

The issue I have is that he would be gone the chance a half decent prem job came about. Same with most managers but SG would obv get a look in earlier due to being SG

12 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Plymouth manager Lowe now into 5/2. Understand from a mate who is a trader for one of the big bookies that it is the type of speculative money that would suggest he is on a shortlist / been offered an interview.

He’s been consistent throughout with the betting companies

13 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Plymouth manager Lowe now into 5/2. Understand from a mate who is a trader for one of the big bookies that it is the type of speculative money that would suggest he is on a shortlist / been offered an interview.

Really ambitious teams go for someone who has managed Benfica, Inter, Ajax etc. We could be looking down the A38 !!!!!!!!!!

If it’s Ryan Lowe then that really would just about sum us up. Managers with proven track records of promotions at this level are interested but we are going to hand the reigns to someone who has managed bury and Plymouth ffs ?

I know it’s only speculation at this stage but it wouldn’t surprise if we go for him as lansdown just doesn’t get the fact that doing the job at this level is more about man management and managing egos than anything else. Which is exactly where his last choice failed so miserably imo.

look at Huddersfield or how jones did at stoke. It’s not easy. Your suddenly managing millionaires at this level as opposed to people on far less money. It makes a big difference in how you motivate them.

59 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

If it’s Ryan Lowe then that really would just about sum us up. Managers with proven track records of promotions at this level are interested but we are going to hand the reigns to someone who has managed bury and Plymouth ffs ?

I know it’s only speculation at this stage but it wouldn’t surprise if we go for him as lansdown just doesn’t get the fact that doing the job at this level is more about man management and managing egos than anything else. Which is exactly where his last choice failed so miserably imo.

look at Huddersfield or how jones did at stoke. It’s not easy. Your suddenly managing millionaires at this level as opposed to people on far less money. It makes a big difference in how you motivate them.

Going by Lansdown's record, it will not be a surprise if Lowe got the job. 

To come down from 20's to 5/2 2nd favourite, especially as he was the frontrunner early doors and drifted, feels like the first real bit of significance in the market. It is of course tempting to put more significance on it than is due but you'd think that movement at this stage, especially if we conclude that whatever Ashton does or doesn't say it is unlikely that interviews have taken place, indicates no more than an interest/enquiry.

On that basis I think it's perfectly reasonable that the club look into him, even interview him. Ideally, for me, the club will identify leading candidates with opposing traits. Lowe appears to fit the up and coming, lower league option, so if he's interested let's have a chat. You cant shoehorn the process, if Hughton and McCarthy are obviously the best two candidates then they're your final two. But i'm comfortable with the club having a final four of, say, Hughton, Lowe, Gerrard and Slot. Proven and experienced, up and coming, high profile and foreign. Lowe (or someone of his 'sort') would for many be the most uninspiring of that theoretical four but if it's the best pitch, is the best fit, then you put faith in the process.

At this stage I wouldn't jump to conclusions though, if there's one to be jumped to, and following the 'sort' train of thought, the movement gives weight to the idea that the club are placing greater value on a head coach they can grow with than a proven track record.

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It won't be Ryan Lowe. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd been interviewed though. Just doing the local lads a favour, same with Flynn.

How are you so sure it won't be Ryan Lowe? I think he's got a great chance personally whether we like it or not.

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Why would we do them a favour? 

Good profile for Lowe / Flynn to get shortlisted alongside some big names. Builds a link with those managers which may be useful when looking for loans for some of our younger players. Plus you never know what Lowe / Flynn might achieve in the next couple of years if & when we are looking next time around.

18 hours ago, Bristolisredd said:

Lampard left because Chelsea came calling , if lampard stayed at derby for another year they would’ve kept the likes of mount and they would’ve  more than likely gone up this year .

when Liverpool come calling for SG he will leave .... but can’t see that happening for atleast another 5 years as Klopp is one of the best managers in the world ,

I say get SG in 

I very much doubt Klopp would stay at Liverpool another 5 years. I would not be surprised if one more Prem title or one more Champs League and he is off. If Steve G were offered an accepted the City job the likely longest he would stay with us would be 2 years. At that point he is either a success and goes to Liverpool or we make a change because he has failed and would walk; he has no reason to hang on. 

6 hours ago, Bainsey said:

How are you so sure it won't be Ryan Lowe? I think he's got a great chance personally whether we like it or not.

As others have said SL is not going to go with a similar candidate as LJ this time around. Its a 2 year promotion project at worst so he is too much of a gamble in their thought process; they will be thinking better we consider shortening those promotion odds by going with a proven or very high profile candidate to get us promoted by and and ensuring player respect.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Both Lowe and Flynn might be sounded out to join the back room team to learn from a more experienced Manager, it would give the club an opportunity for that continuity they have been talking about in future.

If anyone thinks City will make a decent decision and go for an experienced manager who will demand the respect from his players you are all very much deluded.. 

we’ll end up with the cheap option AGAIN!!

On 09/07/2020 at 22:25, Red Alert said:

Bit of a gamble though

As exciting as Gerrard might be & the loans he might attract, it still does not guarantee promotion - just have to look at Frank Lampard's Derby County. Incredible loans of Wilson & Mount an inspirational coach and a decent squad already there. Make the Plays offs but don't go up manger moves up to PL, loans gone and start all over again. 

Considerably more exciting than our seasons under LJ no doubt - but always likely to be a stepping stone with such a high profile ex-player.

I'm up for it but a longer term approach might be more likely.

My thoughts too regarding using us as a stepping stone, but he's has managed Rangers on of the biggest clubs in the World, so I guess he is thinking a bigger club than us. 

I don't really like the idea of a Gerrard or Terry cutting their teeth here. People will point to Lampard at Derby but "Frank Lampards Derby County" was a bit of a running joke, and even though he's apparently good enough for Chelsea, he couldn't get them promoted?

I would take Paul Cook or Mark Robins before Gerrard or Terry. Although I do admit, I would quite enjoy the attention it would bring to our club.

1 hour ago, KeepUpLino said:

If anyone thinks City will make a decent decision and go for an experienced manager who will demand the respect from his players you are all very much deluded.. 

we’ll end up with the cheap option AGAIN!!

Some have mentioned 500k as the salary of LJ; not sure how such info would get into the public domain but 500k is not a cheap option. 

I think it is both disingenuous and a myth to suggest Steve L does such a thing as going for a so called 'cheap option'.. it's actually a contradiction in terms simply because it does not exist.

9 hours ago, Cardy said:

Good profile for Lowe / Flynn to get shortlisted alongside some big names. Builds a link with those managers which may be useful when looking for loans for some of our younger players. Plus you never know what Lowe / Flynn might achieve in the next couple of years if & when we are looking next time around.

Makes complete sense - nicely put. I think you’re probably right. I’d be amazed if Lowe or Flynn get it - but it’s obviously no coincidence that both are at de facto feeder clubs of ours.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Tinnion, lj, mcinnes, millen.

None of them were seasoned managers.

And none were any good.

I hope he learns from his past appointments.

I can’t believe people say LJ ‘wasn’t any good’. It’s doing him a huge disservice. He was obviously flawed but he clearly improved the club.

Archived