IGNORED

Next manager odds

And Its Smith

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Some have mentioned 500k as the salary of LJ; not sure how such info would get into the public domain but 500k is not a cheap option. 

I think it is both disingenuous and a myth to suggest Steve L does such a thing as going for a so called 'cheap option'.. it's actually a contradiction in terms simply because it does not exist.

£10k per week is pretty standard for a championship manager isn’t it?  

Johnson being on half of some of his players feels a bit weird 

11 hours ago, milo1111 said:

If it’s Ryan Lowe then that really would just about sum us up. Managers with proven track records of promotions at this level are interested but we are going to hand the reigns to someone who has managed bury and Plymouth ffs ?

I know it’s only speculation at this stage but it wouldn’t surprise if we go for him as lansdown just doesn’t get the fact that doing the job at this level is more about man management and managing egos than anything else. Which is exactly where his last choice failed so miserably imo.

look at Huddersfield or how jones did at stoke. It’s not easy. Your suddenly managing millionaires at this level as opposed to people on far less money. It makes a big difference in how you motivate them.

I’m with you on this and as I’ve said before we should be looking at the Pat Lam model. Get the best we can afford both financially and ambitiously ( is that even a word, but you know what I am alluding to) and that is a great start in attracting and motivating players.

For me we have done the Johnson Project type, so SL should let that go. Learn from the past few years and build on that, let a good manager do the work for him and not try to mould one into something he isn’t. Let the right person do the job and let him get on with it.

Who we appoint now will be very telling, to both the fans and the players. This will really shape our future. We have great facilities in place off field, now just get the manager and his staff right and away we go. We really have to hit the ground running.

Selling tickets (if/when we are allowed back), BCTV streaming service, shop stock new kit lines, generating a high club profile, are going to be more crucial than ever next season along with keeping Dunder and others happy.  With this in mind I think the appointment will be a “name”, just cannot see Lowe or Flynn being well received enough.  We are good now at finding or bringing through young talent (TM, HNM, ZV, SS, JM, LW etc - although we do need them to contribute more to us going forward) and a “name” that can work with that as well will be the key.  Terry or Gerard satisfy the “names” element of course but I’m not sure about whether they can continue and improve on the talent development element; if they can then great.

I’ve got a recent hunch though about Karanka; a “name”, needs to prove himself again, could work and get respect from senior pros as well the young ones and is flying just below the radar.  Also would not necessarily be off at the first attractive opportunity.

24 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Well he was over paid then. Especially the last 8 months when the down ward spiral started.

22 hours ago, Bristolisredd said:

Lampard left because Chelsea came calling , if lampard stayed at derby for another year they would’ve kept the likes of mount and they would’ve  more than likely gone up this year .

when Liverpool come calling for SG he will leave .... but can’t see that happening for atleast another 5 years as Klopp is one of the best managers in the world ,

I say get SG in 

Mount would not have stayed at Derby this year. Chelsea knew what they were doing loaning players specifically to Derby for a season 

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im not doing him a huge disservice,

I just think he was given more time and money, than any city manager in my lifetime.

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

For what he was given, we are about what 6 leauge places better off than when he came here.

Thats the long and short of it.

“The long and short of it” is an absurdly simplistic way to analyse his tenure. There’s so much more to it than “he had money and time but we weren’t promoted so he ‘wasn’t any good’” but I’m sure you know that really.

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Don’t think £500k for a manager finishing 7-12th is overpaid 

That’s a thousand Ozzie dollars a year. He probably deserved it for a few years but after I went home late last year and watched the home game against Blackburn and subsequent others since late 2019 on Foxtel he was over paid. Definitely over paid. 

It cost me 70 quid for two tickets in the upper tier of the Lansdown. 

Let me know how I can get LJ to give me my money back.

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

“The long and short of it” is an absurdly simplistic way to analyse his tenure. There’s so much more to it than “he had money and time but we weren’t promoted so he ‘wasn’t any good’” but I’m sure you know that really.

The long and short of it would be, Lee came in, managed to turn the club around in its philosophies and earn a great deal of money for the club. Buying cheap selling high. Also raised the profile of the club tenfold with League Cup run and made us a Club recognisable in this division. We were a Rotherham, Burton type club less than 10 years ago. Now each season pundits and other teams fans see us as promotion candidates. Things had gone stale though and you could see that in player performances. He couldn’t achieve the last goal of getting us over the line.

36 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

Selling tickets (if/when we are allowed back), BCTV streaming service, shop stock new kit lines, generating a high club profile, are going to be more crucial than ever next season along with keeping Dunder and others happy.  With this in mind I think the appointment will be a “name”, just cannot see Lowe or Flynn being well received enough.  We are good now at finding or bringing through young talent (TM, HNM, ZV, SS, JM, LW etc - although we do need them to contribute more to us going forward) and a “name” that can work with that as well will be the key.  Terry or Gerard satisfy the “names” element of course but I’m not sure about whether they can continue and improve on the talent development element; if they can then great.

I’ve got a recent hunch though about Karanka; a “name”, needs to prove himself again, could work and get respect from senior pros as well the young ones and is flying just below the radar.  Also would not necessarily be off at the first attractive opportunity.

That’s an interesting angle. ??

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

That’s a thousand Ozzie dollars a year. He probably deserved it for a few years but after I went home late last year and watched the home game against Blackburn and subsequent others since late 2019 on Foxtel he was over paid. Definitely over paid. 

Million AUD!!!

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im not doing him a huge disservice,

I just think he was given more time and money, than any city manager in my lifetime.

For what he was given, we are about what 6 leauge places better off than when he came here.

Thats the long and short of it.

The money thing is nonesense im afraid - LJ has spent more money as players wages and transfer fees have increased. I don’t get why this is used as a stick to beat LJ 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Closer to a million pal.

Edit: looks like Davefevs got in before me.

27 minutes ago, Rob k said:

The money thing is nonesense im afraid - LJ has spent more money as players wages and transfer fees have increased. I don’t get why this is used as a stick to beat LJ 

Plus he had money to spend as it was he who nurtured and helped progress players to sell for big profits.  Something else LJ haters fail to acknowledge 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

There you have it mate. Who should be the highest paid? 

Instead of us endlessly wasting millions on mediocre players, hoping that by a miracle a few of them come good, spend the most significant annual amount on a top-flight foreign manager and his team

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Finally....a board from oddschecker. Hadnt reckoned on Emma Hayes in the betting

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/bristol-city/next-permanent-manager

The fact that Lowe's odds range from 6/4 to 11/1 shows how speculative all this is. Similarly Flynn is anything from 11/10 to 7/1.

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Plus he had money to spend as it was he who nurtured and helped progress players to sell for big profits.  Something else LJ haters fail to acknowledge 

It’s not about hating....it’s about debating!  It’s about having a different view, sometimes introducing a different angle to the debate.  Why does it have to be happy clapper or LJ hater?  Why can’t it be a critique?

I still think there’s a debate to say - would those players have developed anyway?  Predominantly players at an age where there development curve is on the up.

I will always give him Bobby Reid (converting him to CF), so he made £9m....fair dos.

Bryan, Brownhill - both model pros, imho may have developed the same under anyone.  Kelly, we realised this asset early, granted.

What about your O’Dowdas who’ve gone backwards under LJ, the Woodrow’s (loan with option to buy), etc.

Then we have the Engvall’s, the Hegeler’s etc.

How many players over 25 have developed under LJ?  Two imho.  Pack and Flint, both got better.  I seriously cannot think of any others.  Can you?

I think it is very easy to look at the value of sales one dimensionally.

Ultimately I think LJ did “Okay” here, there are some that over praise what he did, there are some that are too critical.  Listening to the likes of Alby and O’Neil are interesting too.  Nothing really glowing, but nothing bad either.

He was left with good players, he will leave the new manager with good players.  He’s sold players for good money, he’s bought players for good money....we’ve paid some astonishing amounts of wages in the process.  During this time the style of football peaked over winter 17/18 and gone downhill (not off a cliff) over 2.5 years.

15 hours ago, milo1111 said:

If it’s Ryan Lowe then that really would just about sum us up. Managers with proven track records of promotions at this level are interested but we are going to hand the reigns to someone who has managed bury and Plymouth ffs ?

I know it’s only speculation at this stage but it wouldn’t surprise if we go for him as lansdown just doesn’t get the fact that doing the job at this level is more about man management and managing egos than anything else. Which is exactly where his last choice failed so miserably imo.

look at Huddersfield or how jones did at stoke. It’s not easy. Your suddenly managing millionaires at this level as opposed to people on far less money. It makes a big difference in how you motivate them.

Nail on Head. Just hope you are wrong but I have been going down the Gate for 62 years now and we seem to have an inbuilt destruct button when it comes to getting the greatest prize of all. Its like Lansdown could be on a coconut shy at a fair, keeps buying balls but doesn't know the coconuts are glued down !!! Hope we are all wrong as his ( and my ) time is running out !

28 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Nail on Head. Just hope you are wrong but I have been going down the Gate for 62 years now and we seem to have an inbuilt destruct button when it comes to getting the greatest prize of all. Its like Lansdown could be on a coconut shy at a fair, keeps buying balls but doesn't know the coconuts are glued down !!! Hope we are all wrong as his ( and my ) time is running out !

The common factor in recent years of Managers chosen not being up to the job is Landown. It is a frightening thought but why would that suddenly change. Houghton looks an outstanding option and many clubs would have him signed by now. The fact we have this in depth recruitment process suggests that Lansdown clearly doesn't think he is. Personally that worries me. And suggests we are in for another Lansdown mistake as our new Manager.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Profits more referenced to Ashton's work ....and I'm unsure about your claims to Lee's 'nurturing' input.

Disputable.

More a 'man management disaster.

He's gone,,and thank goodness.

Time to wind your neck in & look forwards to lending your simpering support the next 'yes man..

I think Lowe is only going down in price because he never should've been 20/1 in the first place.  Having him priced below the likes of Karanka and Lee Bowyer was always odd imo.  It's just the market overcorrecting itself a bit now.

That said, he'd actually be on one of my standout picks anyway.

18 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Profits more referenced to Ashton's work ....and I'm unsure about your claims to Lee's 'nurturing' input.

Disputable.

More a 'man management disaster.

He's gone,,and thank goodness.

Time to wind your neck in & look forwards to lending your simpering support the next 'yes man..

Blimey mate. Someone piss on your chips? Not sure where this post has come from.  Maybe DM me if you’ve got a problem you want to chat through. 

People who like Johnson will think he nurtured those players and those that don’t will not.  Just an opinion.  About football. Not very important 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can’t believe people say LJ ‘wasn’t any good’. It’s doing him a huge disservice. He was obviously flawed but he clearly improved the club.

The ones your referring to must have walked around with their eyes closed as its obvious to neautrals like myself he done a good job in the four seasons he was manager starting from steering you away from relegation back to league one then improving you each season onwards with a bonus of some great cup memories. I think the negative fans need to realise there are much bigger teams than City in the championship who have struggled for years to get out of the league and realise what a difficult job it is. From your perspective it was time for a change as he had taken you as far as he could but that dosen't mean he didn't do a good job in his time there and even with a new manager there are no guarantees 

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Houghton looks an outstanding option and many clubs would have him signed by now. 

Are you  sure? Pick Houghton and I predict we’ll be relegated and run into financial difficulties. In fact it’s already in Wikipedia:

After a short spell in Greece with Ethnikos Piraeus, Houghton returned to his homeland  to manage Bristol City. His spell at Ashton Gate Stadium was unsuccessful as the financially stricken club were relegated and Houghton resigned after a defeat to Wimbledon.

16 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

The ones your referring to must have walked around with their eyes closed as its obvious to neautrals like myself he done a good job in the four seasons he was manager starting from steering you away from relegation back to league one then improving you each season onwards with a bonus of some great cup memories. I think the negative fans need to realise there are much bigger teams than City in the championship who have struggled for years to get out of the league and realise what a difficult job it is. From your perspective it was time for a change as he had taken you as far as he could but that dosen't mean he didn't do a good job in his time there and even with a new manager there are no guarantees 

Sadly, you haven't witnessed the absolutely appalling side of LJ's tenure. I am not what is termed as a LJ hater, I see it and say it for what it is. Lee Johnson was aided by a very competent coach on his arrival at the club. One who'd steadied the ship by changing to a more defensive formation. Johnson continued with that formation and only changed it at the end of the season to see what we had players wise. I thought he was doing a reasonable job and seemed to be bringing intelligent footballers to the club.

He was also aided by the owners who backed their man with a steady turnover of incoming players for him to select from and improved training and match day facilities.

I was happy for him to learn more and progress as a manager, whilst being taught lessons during games, by opposition managers. Unfortunately, those lessons weren't learned and we adopted a style of football where we stayed in the game for 60 minutes of dross, then he'd introduce substitutions to try and affect the game. This was not a bad strategy for away performances, as away results were encouraging throughout his term.

We also had the long winless/losing spells, which we thought would diminish, sadly they did not and are a trait of his management, probably to do with having great choice of players, it's no coincidence that his most successful periods have been where he's been limited in his selection options.

Sadly, the 1k or so who witnessed those performances were quite happy, the problem came with home performances. The twenty odd thousand, had to witness the number of times we were totally outplayed at home and endured long sessions where pass after pass was being swapped amongst the back four, only for them to be closed down and end up hoofing the ball aimlessly upfield, or passed back to the keeper to do the same. I don't suppose it helps when eight defensive type players are selected for the starting line up. There have been few games where people have left the ground excited about the possibility of coming again and watching another thrilling display, it's been sporadic at best.

So as you say, as a neutral, it would seem all reasonable on the surface, not if you had to pay to watch it though. The number of people attending and stating that they've had a lovely day out but, the football was the worst part of it, is the most damning thing to the clubs attempt at improving upwards.

40 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Nobody in their right mind thinks it is easy to get out of the championship. It is one of the toughest league going. The question is with the support and backing he received should he not at least have reached the playoffs at some point. So I think that talk of how well he did are missing the point. And how you are as City fan deemed to be negative because you feel this was a failure I struggle to understand.

Archived