IGNORED

Next manager odds

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Nobody in their right mind thinks it is easy to get out of the championship. It is one of the toughest league going. The question is with the support and backing he received should he not at least have reached the playoffs at some point. So I think that talk of how well he did are missing the point. And how you are as City fan deemed to be negative because you feel this was a failure I struggle to understand.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Sadly, you haven't witnessed the absolutely appalling side of LJ's tenure. I am not what is termed as a LJ hater, I see it and say it for what it is. Lee Johnson was aided by a very competent coach on his arrival at the club. One who'd steadied the ship by changing to a more defensive formation. Johnson continued with that formation and only changed it at the end of the season to see what we had players wise. I thought he was doing a reasonable job and seemed to be bringing intelligent footballers to the club.

He was also aided by the owners who backed their man with a steady turnover of incoming players for him to select from and improved training and match day facilities.

I was happy for him to learn more and progress as a manager, whilst being taught lessons during games, by opposition managers. Unfortunately, those lessons weren't learned and we adopted a style of football where we stayed in the game for 60 minutes of dross, then he'd introduce substitutions to try and affect the game. This was not a bad strategy for away performances, as away results were encouraging throughout his term.

We also had the long winless/losing spells, which we thought would diminish, sadly they did not and are a trait of his management, probably to do with having great choice of players, it's no coincidence that his most successful periods have been where he's been limited in his selection options.

Sadly, the 1k or so who witnessed those performances were quite happy, the problem came with home performances. The twenty odd thousand, had to witness the number of times we were totally outplayed at home and endured long sessions where pass after pass was being swapped amongst the back four, only for them to be closed down and end up hoofing the ball aimlessly upfield, or passed back to the keeper to do the same. I don't suppose it helps when eight defensive type players are selected for the starting line up. There have been few games where people have left the ground excited about the possibility of coming again and watching another thrilling display, it's been sporadic at best.

So as you say, as a neutral, it would seem all reasonable on the surface, not if you had to pay to watch it though. The number of people attending and stating that they've had a lovely day out but, the football was the worst part of it, is the most damning thing to the clubs attempt at improving upwards.

Fair points you make and although I haven't see City in the flesh during Johnsons reign I get that the majority of fans were fed up with his style of play & tactics etc. What's ironic is if you had won two more games and drawn one you would be sat in the play off spot and many fans would be happy even though at times the football has been dire.

i hope that you get a decent high profile manager who will shake things up, gets his own  players in and plays high tempo football like Wellens has introduced at Swindon 

3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

dont get carried away with giving dean the job. 2 good results against 2 poor sides. we went down this road with millen and tins. if they do go with dean he will need a top experience no 2. not macca or Ashley Williams 

Completely agree, but today’s result was a far better one than beating Hull.

Away game against a Warnock side, no Afobe, I don’t want him to get the job but this was an excellent effort.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Completely agree, but today’s result was a far better one than beating Hull.

Away game against a Warnock side, no Afobe, I don’t want him to get the job but this was an excellent effort.

Agreed. He deserves a great deal of credit...but not the manager's job.

Christoph Daum has been speaking about the head coach/manager job at Bristol City.

He said:

"Yes, it is true that a friend who lives in Bristol has made contact with Bristol City,” Daum told SPORT1.

“No concrete discussions have yet taken place with Bristol City.

“The son of the owner Jon Lansdown also thinks I am a suitable candidate as head coach for Bristol City.

“So far the mutual interest has been exchanged and the next few days will show to what extent everything is concrete.

"Bristol City is a club with enthusiastic fans, excellent infrastructure and solid structures.

"English football, regardless of whether it's a Premier League or Championship, is excellently organized. I see it as an interesting challenge to play a part in shaping it.

21 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

dont get carried away with giving dean the job. 2 good results against 2 poor sides. we went down this road with millen and tins. if they do go with dean he will need a top experience no 2. not macca or Ashley Williams 

I've not seen anyone suggest giving him the job.

On 11/07/2020 at 13:14, Redrascal2 said:

The common factor in recent years of Managers chosen not being up to the job is Landown. It is a frightening thought but why would that suddenly change. Houghton looks an outstanding option and many clubs would have him signed by now. The fact we have this in depth recruitment process suggests that Lansdown clearly doesn't think he is. Personally that worries me. And suggests we are in for another Lansdown mistake as our new Manager.

The last two were hardly mistakes were they? 

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Which shows what a load of nonsense it is.

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Blimey! Flynn 14/1 with William Hill but 11/10 with Betfair :blink:

So make yourself a bit of dosh. Back heavily at 14/1 and lay some of it off on Betfair to guarantee a profit. I have never seen an ARB that obvious so guessing one of those odds are way out.

7 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Cowley the new fav with Skybet at 5/2. Hughton out to 8/1

First real movement in the betting that I’d consider significant. For Hughton to drift out to 8/1 probably shows something’s happened to make him unlikely. From most points of view, he’s the obvious candidate and has expressed interest. 8/1 are long odds considering that.

31 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

First real movement in the betting that I’d consider significant. For Hughton to drift out to 8/1 probably shows something’s happened to make him unlikely. From most points of view, he’s the obvious candidate and has expressed interest. 8/1 are long odds considering that.

Maybe the Watford job becoming available. 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

What on earth can a new boss do at Watford with 2 games left against Man C and Arsenal? Mad dismissal. 

Both sackings today are bizarre. 

I’ve already resigned the fact that Cowley is coming here. He seems the perfect fit for SL.

Not one I would be overjoyed with.

11 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

He’s only 7-1 fourth favourite on that list. Some interesting names on there too... 

Puel favourite, Cowley lower prices than Hughton too. Hayden Mullins seems an odd name to be 9-1.

Mullins was their caretaker last time they sacked someone off, after only a few months in post. 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Both sackings today are bizarre. 

I’ve already resigned the fact that Cowley is coming here. He seems the perfect fit for SL.

Not one I would be overjoyed with.

I was listening to the full quote from Huddersfield and it appears there were 'differences in how to achieve the aims of the club' whatever that means. :dunno:

Archived