IGNORED

30th December 2017

MC RISK77

City 1 wolves 2,

was this the day that started the very slow decline, it never felt the same after that, that season was the best I have ever seen Bristol city play in my life.

i genuinely felt that if we won that game we could have pushed on, it seemed to knock the stuffing out of us.

we had a settled side playing great football, since then the constant changing of team and his own uncertainty and over thinking took over.

12 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

was this the day that started the very slow decline, it never felt the same after that, that season was the best I have ever seen Bristol city play in my life.

i genuinely felt that if we won that game we could have pushed on, it seemed to knock the stuffing out of us.

we had a settled side playing great football, since then the constant changing of team and his own uncertainty and over thinking took over.

Totally agree.

13 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

Yep, a group of us were talking about this exact same point last night.  You could tell from both sides reactions at the final whistle what that result meant, it wasn’t ‘just another game’.  Massive moment. 

16 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

agreed....and it's taken two years to say 'thank you and goodbye'

26 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

Best post of the past few weeks, spot in??????

28 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

Quite agree Marco. We wait with baited breath to see who we appoint next. 

29 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

So true and spot on, the wheel fell off after that game. Never got our Mojo back ?

34 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

Had this exactly conversation with my mates this week.

Frank fielding rushing out and getting the red card cost us that game, plus a great free kick and header at back post in late injury time.

Wolves down to 10 men after a heavy challenge on Magnússon first half? Totally agree though, things were never the same again, didn’t we get spanked 5-0 away at villa next game?

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

10/02/18 for me. 3-0 up and absolutely flying, then fell apart. I don't think we've ever really played with much belief since then

I think Wolves was a bit of a turn around, but we put in 2 fantastic performances against Man City after that.

I agree to an extent though. I'll never forget that game, I said the week before I'd lose to United if it meant beating Wolves. I didn't think we'd do anything against them after the United win, but we almost did. Fielding's sending off and Pack's mistake really hurt

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

And all he had to do was put Flint back to CB rather than leave him up top. 
The arrogance of his tactics and selections crept in more and more from that moment. 
Wolves were shot. They were walking round and had given up. Tinkerman stayed gung ho when he didnt need to and, effectively our decline started from there. 
Horrendous injuries didnt help him mind, i will give him that much. 

Signs were there the week before against Reading. A very leggy tired performance and had to rely on chucking on Pato when injured to win the game. Not sure the Wolves game finished us it was perhaps more we should have got 3-4 more faces in and  rotated more because the players were exhausted with the cup run 

Small reminder that last season we WON away at:

• Sheffield Utd
  • Birmingham
  • Brentford
  • Middlesbrough
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Millwall
  • Swansea
  • Blackburn
  • Stoke
  • QPR

We also went 13 unbeaten in the league, a run of 31 from 39 points including 7 straight wins.

I'm no less convinced LJ's time is up, but just thought to point it out for anyone who thinks he was finished halfway through the preceding season.

The huge amount of injuries gradually drained the energy of many players and unfortunately had a strong impact on the whole team's form, style of play, maybe on the group's belief too. I remember also that somebody brought into question the committment of some players, after the plaudits for the cup run and rumours about interest from PL clubs (true or false? I don't know).

I don't think that a win in that match or other good results would have made a big difference in our season. Maybe even a good January transfer window would not have stopped the fall.

Anyway, it was a season to remember. ?

5 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

The huge amount of injuries gradually drained the energy of many players and unfortunately had a strong impact on the whole team's form, style of play, maybe on the group's belief too. I remember also that somebody brought into question the committment of some players, after the plaudits for the cup run and rumours about interest from PL clubs (true or false? I don't know).

I don't think that a win in that match or other good results would have made a big difference in our season. Maybe even a good January transfer window would not have stopped the fall.

Anyway, it was a season to remember. ?

I do know from someone very high up at the club that the cup run definitely went to LJs head a bit and made him a bit billy big bollocks 

agree 100% winning that game would have took us to second in the league, but unfortunately loosing that game the way we did (i remember being massively pissed of with Nuno Espírito Santo for his celebration too) seemed to cause a massive slump we only went on to win only 1 match in the next 11 games(ok 2 were man city in the cup)having been on a good run before this.. this was also the start of the streaky Lee tag... we had a decent settled team that seemed to play for each other and the manager after this it never seemed the same again this the style of football changed (ok a few big players went after this) lee kept changing the team in a vein hope of getting it right, players confidence was knocked and this also seemed to be the start of Lee publicly calling players out.. admittedly in the next few seasons we had some great winning streaks but we also unfortunately had some awful loosing streaks too... 

I look back on this as a what could have been season a great cup run and doing well in the season until we dropped off, this ended up being a the way the following seasons happed too, a good starts before always tailing off and end up being ultimately being a disappointment..

As gutting as it was to lose that game the way we did, I don't think it was as defining a loss as discussed here.

We were inundated with injuries at the time and the high press and cup run was taking its toll on our depleted squad already. 

I do think winning that game would have been a shot in the arm for a while but I think it was inevitable we ran out of puff sooner or later.

totally agree, three moments to define a manager and a team

1 - Flint not going back into defence

2 - Fielding making stupid error (partly caused by 1)

3 - Pack thinking he was Cruyff and costing us the points

It really hasn't been the same since and all enjoyment of going to Ashton Gate was gone! 

Hopefully a new manager will bring back the pride in the team and club

Ah I've relived parts of this game many times. Parts of these scenarios!

@South stander I think you mean the point- we were 1-1 going late on- before their late, late Bennett winner!

I digress- what might have been eh! We were genuinely closing on Wolves after an hour...happy to post that table, pts and GD at that time, well maybe not fully closing but momentum was with us, and make no mistake this IMO could have possibly dragged them back into the scrap too- 11 pts clear and playing as they were, they were after that win approaching the stage of over the hill and far away. How they celebrated showed just what a big result it was for both sides!

5 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

Psychologically crushing for all

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Small reminder that last season we WON away at:

• Sheffield Utd
  • Birmingham
  • Brentford
  • Middlesbrough
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Millwall
  • Swansea
  • Blackburn
  • Stoke
  • QPR

We also went 13 unbeaten in the league, a run of 31 from 39 points including 7 straight wins.

I'm no less convinced LJ's time is up, but just thought to point it out for anyone who thinks he was finished halfway through the preceding season.

Very true Olé, but away wins are usually the icing on the cake. 

It's the Home games that provide the bread and butter gathering of points. 

Therefore a side that wins more on the road, is most liable to to really nose dive down the table when the away wins dry up.

Anyway, the king is dead, long live the king. The home games of the last two years have provided so little that was pleasant to watch.

I have nothing personal against LJ. Simply that I did not believe from day one that he would be good for BCFC.

What really puzzles me is that SL's choices for City manager over the years have been so unsuccessful in getting the promotions that were so wanted and needed to become a much more consistent club at the highest levels. So many cheap options. So many "jobs for the boys".

Yet, SL, recruited the rugby equivalent, in Pat Lam for Bristol Bears, of football managers like Ranieri, Espirito Santo, and plenty more, that are winners. Those who have achieved titles are those who are able to manage the personnel who are the ones that get those titles; the players.

So will SL finally recruit a " Pat Lam" for Bristol City or continue shopping at the Pound Store?

12 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

City 1 wolves 2,

Where as I agree, we still had the Man City games after. At the time though I agree, I’ve never left a game more deflated 

It started to go horribly wrong when certain players decided to down tools in January .

Archived