IGNORED

30th December 2017

MC RISK77

From memory we were pretty much forced into playing that side due to injuries (Fam etc). They clicked and were overplayed and got knackered. Was that Johnson design or because that’s all he had? Anyway - happy memories. Let’s hope under a new manager we can get back there 

12 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Where as I agree, we still had the Man City games after. At the time though I agree, I’ve never left a game more deflated 

It started to go horribly wrong when certain players decided to down tools in January .

Who in particular?

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

From memory we were pretty much forced into playing that side due to injuries (Fam etc). They clicked and were overplayed and got knackered. Was that Johnson design or because that’s all he had? Anyway - happy memories. Let’s hope under a new manager we can get back there 

That’s more how I remember it.  Plus the return of Diedhiou, but of illness to Pato, injuries at RB, etc.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Who in particular?

That’s more how I remember it.  Plus the return of Diedhiou, but of illness to Pato, injuries at RB, etc.

The two local boys for a start....

Barely got out of second gear after January. The only thing that would have gave it away more that they wanted to leave was if it was stamped on their foreheads 

48 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The two local boys for a start....

Barely got out of second gear after January. The only thing that would have gave it away more that they wanted to leave was if it was stamped on their foreheads 

Reid and Bryan?

Reid most definitely not.

Bryan moved back to left back and I don’t think it was downing tools just left exposed too often. 

Worth noting just where we were an hour in, vs the 10 men on the evening of Saturday 30th December 2017. It maybe only 3 points but the psychological difference is/could have been quite significant!

For both us and Wolves. Wolves in Table B are over the hill and far away. Disappearing into the distance, over the horizon. Table A however, seems them dragged back in!

They would have been dragged back in, because they would have ceded 5 pts to us in a week. 2 to Derby as well.

With trips to: Cardiff, Leeds, Aston Villa, Preston, Middlesbrough, Ipswich and Fulham still to come in 2nd half of season.

Quite a lot of players inexperienced a) Of the condensed English schedule and b) Perhaps not the most experienced in any case. Tricky old game at home to Brentford a few days on in which time the gap would've been certain to have been cut further, with Derby v Sheffield United, us at Aston Villa, Preston v Middlesbrough all to come on New Years Day. One way or another the gap would have fallen- the pack would have narrowed and this in turn would have or should have created more opportunity for us.

Also worth noting the gaps we were opening up on others too. Cardiff- 3 points + GD, Leeds 8, Sheffield United- 9, Aston Villa 9, Preston 10, Middlesbrough 12 Fulham 14 and Millwall 20. Psychologically, once you start to get above 10 you start to create some significant issues for the chasing pack, even in this League! Of those and hindsight is wonderful, Leeds fell away dramatically, Sheffield United didn't have the depth or experience, probably, Preston are Preston- Fulham coming from the pack was believable- Millwall less so, they put a less spectacular run together but came from nowhere nonetheless to get right into the playoff picture.

I've not even looked at the confidence factor yet. 5 point swing in a week WOULD have had an impact on Wolves, I am sure- they may still have gone up as Champions but it would have complicated matters somewhat. Conversely, beating Wolves, game vs Man City to look forward to, of course the game vs Man United and our general first 5 months- we'd just have surged further in confidence tbh. Felt like a pretty obtainable win after an hour too- goal up at home, vs 10- playing wells, fans vocal and confident.

Top 6 that year...should've been reached IMO. Possibly even irrespective of the Wolves game.

As It Stood- After an Hour at home vs 10

Team P GD Pts
1   Wolves 25 25 55
2   Bristol City 25 16 50

3   Derby 25 14 48
4   Cardiff 25 12 47
5   Leeds 25 9 42
6   Sheff Utd 25 9 41

7   Aston Villa 25 9 41
8   Preston 25 5 40
9   Middlesbrough 25 8 38
10   Brentford 25 7 37
11   Ipswich 25 3 36
12   Fulham 25 2 36
13   Norwich 25 -6 31
14   Nottm Forest 25 -9 31
15   Millwall 25 0 30

As It Stood- The Actual table post Bennett winner.

Team P GD Pts
1   Wolves 25 27 58
2   Derby 25 18 48

3   Bristol City 25 14 47
4   Cardiff 25 12 47
5   Leeds 25 9 42
6   Sheff Utd 25 9 41

7   Aston Villa 25 9 41
8   Preston 25 5 40
9   Middlesbrough 25 8 38
10   Brentford 25 7 37
11   Ipswich 25 3 36
12   Fulham 25 2 36
13   Norwich 25 -6 31
14   Nottm Forest 25 -9 31
15   Millwall 25 0 30

On 04/07/2020 at 22:56, Olé said:

Small reminder that last season we WON away at:

• Sheffield Utd
  • Birmingham
  • Brentford
  • Middlesbrough
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Millwall
  • Swansea
  • Blackburn
  • Stoke
  • QPR

We also went 13 unbeaten in the league, a run of 31 from 39 points including 7 straight wins.

I'm no less convinced LJ's time is up, but just thought to point it out for anyone who thinks he was finished halfway through the preceding season.

I didn’t say he was finished I said it started the slow decline, with every slow decline IMO their will be moments of recapturing what was but never felt it was the same.

25 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I didn’t say he was finished I said it started the slow decline, with every slow decline IMO their will be moments of recapturing what was but never felt it was the same.

15 game unbeaten run, 9 game winning streak was it- slowly built and came out of nowhere really! Some of these were included with @Olé list.

Unlucky to lose to Wolves in the Cup too.

Then when we finally looked finished, we bounced back with a very unexpected but welcome and yeah pretty deserved Weimann hattrick inspired win at Brammall Lane. Won at Middlesborugh too and blitzed West Brom early on, in another entertaining 3-2...shame about the two pts we dropped v Wigan of course.

Totally agree, although we had good runs after that, we never hit the heights of that again. I mentioned to my mate after they scored, the crazy away end, Nuno running about etc. That our players looked crushed, as if they suddenly realised that our names weren’t written already to be the winners that season, if you know what I mean. 

there was a little time left after the goal, not much maybe 20seconds? But you could see that there was no last hurrah, the players were spent. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

15 game unbeaten run, 9 game winning streak was it- slowly built and came out of nowhere really! Some of these were included with @Olé list.

Unlucky to lose to Wolves in the Cup too.

Then when we finally looked finished, we bounced back with a very unexpected but welcome and yeah pretty deserved Weimann hattrick inspired win at Brammall Lane. Won at Middlesborugh too and blitzed West Brom early on, in another entertaining 3-2...shame about the two pts we dropped v Wigan of course.

Yes true but in that run was it the free flowing high press football we enjoyed the season below, not withstanding it was a good run it felt more laboured 

5 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yes true but in that run was it the free flowing high press football we enjoyed the season below, not withstanding it was a good run it felt more laboured 

For the most part I agree. Think there were phases with good possession and dominance in game but it was overall slower, less pressing yep.

Archived