IGNORED

Neutrals point of view

He has done a good job until this season so it might look strange to those who don’t follow us closely. However this season things really have been poor - even when we were high up in the table we were winning games with an element of fortune. In the end it all caught up with him. 

27 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Many of my non city supporting mates thinks we are mad to sack Johnson and are very unrealistic in our expectations.

Time will tell I guess

What to be a bit more like Brentford who spend similar or less and have smaller attendances yet play some of the best football in the division under a manager few had heard of before he took over? I think that expectation is fair

It was probably mostly the fact we avoided a relegation battle but the most talked about city team on here is when we had the cup run. We pressed, we played attacking football and we were solid at simple things like set pieces. We finished 11th. Disappointing sure but if we were sitting in 12th and had some fun at AG I think a few more would be willing to give him another go. As it was we were bored senseless and the results stopped

He's been a decent manager for you over the last four seasons but things have been stale for several months and he's just run out of ideas and the players seemed to have lost interest in fighting for the cause. I'm not sure why many slate him as he gave you some good times and it's a fine line between success and failure 

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

My mate said he'd take Johnson at Boro, how he took us from being relegation threatened to top half, very appealing to fans of clubs like Boro atm

...he really thinks Lee Johnson would achieve that? Fair play. He'd be expecting Lansdown levels of investment in the playing squad I assume? 

Just now, Red Exile said:

...he really thinks Lee Johnson would achieve that? Fair play. He'd be expecting Lansdown levels of investment in the playing squad I assume? 

Lee turned us into a top half team in his 3rd season here, that summer we signed Diedhiou but didn't have much else in terms of significant outlay, it was after that season we started ramping up spending to try and reach the play offs.

9 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

He's been a decent manager for you over the last four seasons but things have been stale for several months and he's just run out of ideas and the players seemed to have lost interest in fighting for the cause. I'm not sure why many slate him as he gave you some good times and it's a fine line between success and failure 

He's slated because he's been judged by different standards to other managers. It will be good to get back to a management team judged on results, not sentiment. The good times were a while back. The writing has been on the wall for a long time.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Lee turned us into a top half team in his 3rd season here, that summer we signed Diedhiou but didn't have much else in terms of significant outlay, it was after that season we started ramping up spending to try and reach the play offs.

I know you rate him. I respect that.

47 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Many of my non city supporting mates thinks we are mad to sack Johnson and are very unrealistic in our expectations.

Time will tell I guess

This is because only supporters really know the finer details of a club’s progression. Outsiders judge merely on statistics; they’ll see Johnson has taken us steadily up the leagues and will be more inclined to forgive one backward season. But they won’t have watched the style of football, they won’t know about the comprehensive failure to settle on a playing style, team selection, tactics and formation and they probably won’t realise that our squad is underachieving on its potential.

Sometimes it’s just the right time for a change and this is one of those occasions.

25 minutes ago, hodge said:

My mate said he'd take Johnson at Boro, how he took us from being relegation threatened to top half, very appealing to fans of clubs like Boro atm

Will be interesting to see how high Johnson’s stock is with regard to his future job.

He’s seems well regarded within the game, but not many clubs will give him the time he was given here.

17 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What do you refer to as good times other than the obvious cup run?  Genuine question. Think the hullabaloo around that made LJ into a media darling that papered over a lot of cracks over the remaining 2.5 years. 

54 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Time will tell I guess

I think it depends what people want.

I can cope with us not getting promoted but I'd like to see some good football and a sense we are getting the best out of the players available.

If, this time next season, we've had a season of good performances, hard work and young players coming through, finish top half and don't go up then I can live with that. 

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Will be interesting to see how high Johnson’s stock is with regard to his future job.

He’s seems well regarded within the game, but not many clubs will give him the time he was given here.

I reckon the industry has Mr Johnsons capabilities well established. Like poppa this is as good as it gets 

23 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He has done a good job until this season so it might look strange to those who don’t follow us closely. However this season things really have been poor - even when we were high up in the table we were winning games with an element of fortune. In the end it all caught up with him. 

I have run out of likes but yes. 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

What do you refer to as good times other than the obvious cup run?  Genuine question. Think the hullabaloo around that made LJ into a media darling that papered over a lot of cracks over the remaining 2.5 years. 

In the context of our history, pushing for a playoff position in the second tier - albeit ultimately falling short each time - represents good times.

Things have been an awful lot worse on many occasions.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

In the context of our history, pushing for a playoff position in the second tier - albeit ultimately falling short each time - represents good times.

Things have been an awful lot worse on many occasions.

Was looking for the outsiders POV on this as per the thread but regards things being worse - of course they have - but the comparisons would not be like for like. Never have City spent so much or given a manger so much rope. Anyway, not wanting to slag the man after he’s just lost his job......never nice whoever it is and however right the decision.   

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Most non City fans are thick as shit. We are a big club in this division now and underachieving. 

But we've become a big club in this division under .........Lee Johnson.

That's what neutrals see, and to a point they are right. Yes, it's become stale, boring, and all the signs now that we're starting to go into reverse, but to any neutral LJs reign will have been characterised by a couple of great Cup runs and a yo yo Lge1/Champ club becoming an established Championship side. 

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

What are "Lansdown levels of investment" though. Yes, we've spent to bring in players, but we've sold massively, and sold key players, to do that. 

I don't know the figures, and it's probably hugely complicated if you factor in wages etc, but I'm not sure that our net investment over the Johnson reign has been that great. 

One of the challenges in attracting any new manager will be finding someone who'll live with having to sell his three best players every year, and - as with Webster - sometimes at the very last minute. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

And maybe rightly so. Given what seems to be an emerging concensus on here, about two years would have been right! 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

And maybe rightly so. Given what seems to be an emerging concensus on here, about two years would have been right! 

Given he improved our league position every season until now, I think on balance that justifies his period of time in charge. There are no guarantees that another man would have taken us higher, quicker. But without a doubt this was the right time for a change.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Given he improved our league position every season until now, I think on balance that justifies his period of time in charge. There are no guarantees that another man would have taken us higher, quicker. But without a doubt this was the right time for a change.

I agree, although for me it's less the league position, more about where we've got to in terms of our style,of play and our playing squad. 

I know a lots been made of the 'progression' thing, but I think we could have lived with a season where we finished a few league places lower than the one before, but not where we also seem to be losing our way in other respects. 

I don't really know where the big money sales come from this summer, and with likely departures as contracts end and/or for smallish fees (or less than we paid), we are going to need some significant strengthening. That's not SLs stated business's model! Fair to say it's a business model that's been a tough tough ask for LJ, as it will be for any incoming manager. But that's what it is.

Add to that the increasingly disjointed nature of our squad, selections and play -again, in fairness to LJ, not helped by injury and sales - and yes, seems that the time for a change is here.

I was just explaining LJs tenure here as head coach to a friend of mine who played college football for Air Force Academy here in the states. Granted it is a different sport (American Football) but he's as qualified a neutral as you could get.

As I was explaining LJs downfalls that was there for all to see, the playing players out of position, throwing players under the bus in public, not having an identity/style of play, changing tactics multiple times in a game and always asking his players to play to counter the strengths of the other team instead of playing to their own strengths.....his response....." I'm glad I never had to play for a coach like" and " he lasted how long"

Neutrals that say we're ungrateful or expect too much can KMEA

4 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

But we are sitting below that fine line and have done so every season back in the championship, yes until this season there had been progress of sorts but we always seem to fall away right when it matters, to me that is the fine line that he is not good enough to get us over.

8 hours ago, pillred said:

But we are sitting below that fine line and have done so every season back in the championship, yes until this season there had been progress of sorts but we always seem to fall away right when it matters, to me that is the fine line that he is not good enough to get us over.

Good point you make and not a criticism of Johnson but it does highlight his limitations 

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

One of the challenges in attracting any new manager will be finding someone who'll live with having to sell his three best players every year, and - as with Webster - sometimes at the very last minute. 

Here we go again ; every manager has to sell his best players that is part of life in the game .

LJ was given all the funds to reinvest in the squad, many coaches , look at Hull for example, lose players just to keep their club going .

No more of this tired excuse please folks .

15 hours ago, RedEyez said:

We’re actually 1 of about 5 or 6 clubs that have never played Premier League. So not sure I agree to be honest.

Notts County and Preston have both had over 30 and over 40 seasons in top flight of english football and 2 league titles for the latter. 

Yet teams like Reading and bournemouth have played in the premier league. Would you agree NC and PNE are small clubs because they haven't played in the prem? 

Archived