IGNORED

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Forgot about Nigel - that's a solid shout, especially when you compare Hull in terms of where they are now without him.

I was at an FA dinner where Nigel Atkins was the guest speaker. He was asked about his next job he wanted. 

His response was he wanted a project where he could advance a club. He did a great job at Southampton before they replaced him with Mauricio Pochettino   

A good fit from my point of view. 

Jokanovic would be an impressive appointment, and would show the ultimate ambition. 

Hughton has done it, but maybe doesn't play the most attractive football on the way.

Hughes would be expensive, and not so sure he's a good long term suggestion. If we were doing well and a better offer came along, he'd be off like a shot.

Moyes I'm not sure would come. I think he's "a premiership manager" although has maybe lost a bit of credibility over the last few years. A drop down and a "re-establishment" job for him could be good for him. Has a potential to be a bad move for both parties though, especially if it doesn't work.

Steven Gerrard could honestly be an interesting appointment. Would he leave Rangers? Has done a good job there, but is there anywhere he can go? Let's be honest, it's either Celtic or Rangers and he won't ever be accepted at Celtic. Is he waiting for a Premiership club to come calling, or does he need to prove himself in England lower down for a "big" club to take him on?

Lampard worked wonders at Derby, albeit with a bit of help from his Chelsea connections, but it's worked for him hasn't it? Not doing too badly at Chelsea now.... Maybe Steven Gerrard's Bristol City would be a decent fit for both parties....

Personally I went for Jokanovic, but Gerrard (who I hadn't even thought about) does intrigue me a lot. Could be a big draw as well.....

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

Jokanovic would be an impressive appointment, and would show the ultimate ambition. 

Hughton has done it, but maybe doesn't play the most attractive football on the way.

Hughes would be expensive, and not so sure he's a good long term suggestion. If we were doing well and a better offer came along, he'd be off like a shot.

Moyes I'm not sure would come. I think he's "a premiership manager" although has maybe lost a bit of credibility over the last few years. A drop down and a "re-establishment" job for him could be good for him. Has a potential to be a bad move for both parties though, especially if it doesn't work.

Steven Gerrard could honestly be an interesting appointment. Would he leave Rangers? Has done a good job there, but is there anywhere he can go? Let's be honest, it's either Celtic or Rangers and he won't ever be accepted at Celtic. Is he waiting for a Premiership club to come calling, or does he need to prove himself in England lower down for a "big" club to take him on?

Lampard worked wonders at Derby, albeit with a bit of help from his Chelsea connections, but it's worked for him hasn't it? Not doing too badly at Chelsea now.... Maybe Steven Gerrard's Bristol City would be a decent fit for both parties....

Personally I went for Jokanovic, but Gerrard (who I hadn't even thought about) does intrigue me a lot. Could be a big draw as well.....

Would Gerrard leave Rangers for us? Can build his skills there until a Prem club comes calling. 

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

There are a few on the list who I’d be happy taking a chance with, certainly Paul Cook being one, as I like his recruitment history and his cv. 
However, I do wonder if any such appointment, from many of those names, would be another ‘fanbase splitter’. 
I think it’s time this club went to the next level in terms of its PR and general perception in the world of football. To do that, I think we need to bring in a big name, to make a statement of intent. For me, that’s Gerrard. 
I’m not kidding myself that this is actually in any way likely, but I do believe that we need something like that to be a bit of a launchpad to the next level. And he’d certainly have the backing of the majority of the fanbase and not be a polarising appointment. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

There are a few on the list who I’d be happy taking a chance with, certainly Paul Cook being one, as I like his recruitment history and his cv. 
However, I do wonder if any such appointment, from many of those names, would be another ‘fanbase splitter’. 
I think it’s time this club went to the next level in terms of its PR and general perception in the world of football. To do that, I think we need to bring in a big name, to make a statement of intent. For me, that’s Gerrard. 
I’m not kidding myself that this is actually in any way likely, but I do believe that we need something like that to be a bit of a launchpad to the next level. And he’d certainly have the backing of the majority of the fanbase and not be a polarising appointment. 

He’d bring Ryan Kent and James Tavenier with him ?

29 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

Would be shocked if Howe was sacked, I think he’ll probably stay with Bournemouth and take them back up if they go down like Dyche at Burnley. But if not I’d be all for it

Not sure. Having a tough time at Bournemouth at the moment so it may be time for a change for all concerned. Every manager has a shelf life at a club. Still young too. 

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Would Gerrard leave Rangers for us? Can build his skills there until a Prem club comes calling. 

Good question. Do Prem clubs want to take a chance on a Scottish league manager? Realistically there's only 2 or 3 clubs that are in the running season upon season. Most seem to go for the expensive foreign choice.

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree 100% with everything. The next appointment NEEDS to be a statement. The next appointment NEEDS to be a success. We are currently an attractive opportunity. We've just given Johnson 4 years and copious amounts of money. The club has stuck by Johnson, until it was clear that he could go no further. This shows that providing the club is heading in the right direction, any new man will have time on his side.

A bad appointment and the club goes spiralling backwards. The next appointment needs to be a "Pat Lam" and not a journey man.

Gerrard ticks the boxes. He is currently an attractive proposition, making a success of himself, yet still has something to prove. For him, he would probably want to manage Liverpool at some point. He's not going to get there directly from Rangers. Taking a club from the Championship to the Prem, and then establishing them at that level, would help him on the way.

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Good question. Do Prem clubs want to take a chance on a Scottish league manager? Realistically there's only 2 or 3 clubs that are in the running season upon season. Most seem to go for the expensive foreign choice.

Agree 100% with everything. The next appointment NEEDS to be a statement. The next appointment NEEDS to be a success. We are currently an attractive opportunity. We've just given Johnson 4 years and copious amounts of money. The club has stuck by Johnson, until it was clear that he could go no further. This shows that providing the club is heading in the right direction, any new man will have time on his side.

A bad appointment and the club goes spiralling backwards. The next appointment needs to be a "Pat Lam" and not a journey man.

Gerrard ticks the boxes. He is currently an attractive proposition, making a success of himself, yet still has something to prove. For him, he would probably want to manage Liverpool at some point. He's not going to get there directly from Rangers. Taking a club from the Championship to the Prem, and then establishing them at that level, would help him on the way.

He would probably see himself as the long-term successor to Klopp, like Lampard at Chelsea. If he stays at Rangers he is less at risk of looking average in the Championship. 

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

He would probably see himself as the long-term successor to Klopp, like Lampard at Chelsea. If he stays at Rangers he is less at risk of looking average in the Championship. 

But would Liverpool go from Klopp, to someone who can't catch Celtic and hasn't done anything else? Not saying it would never happen, but if I were a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be too pleased if the club went from Klopp to a runner up in Scotland. Look what happened at Man Utd.... 

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think it’s time this club went to the next level in terms of its PR and general perception in the world of football. To do that, I think we need to bring in a big name, to make a statement of intent. For me, that’s Gerrard

Has achieved even less than Lee Johnson and, in a season when Celtic were there for the taking, has blown it. No thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Current front runners:

• Chris Hughton, 128 votes.
  • Mark Robins, 23 votes.
  • Paul Cook, 34 votes.
  • Slavisa Jokanovic, 66 votes.
  • Mick McCarthy, 15 votes.
  • Steven Gerrard, 17 votes.
  • Mark van Bommel, 16 votes.

Would people be happy with this as shortlist?

Not been mentioned yet and i  am not sure he was all that succesful at Man City but STUART PEARCE would certainly instill some fight in to these city players who must take a lot of the blame for the sacking of LJ. I think certainly in the 4 games we have seen on Robins TV that the players have a lot to answer for.

Whether it is due to lack of fitness after lockdown, or they were simply not playing for LJ, but generally they have been very poor.  We were pinning our hopes on Afobe but quite frankly he hasn,t looked like solving our scoring problem.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Just don't think he will play the kind of football I want to see and not sure he will be giving the youth a chance like some others on the list might do.

I'm not against appointing him, but I'd suggest anyone hoping for attractive football will be disappointed.

Though I think most would overlook that if he took us up.

I'd be delighted with Ryan Lowe. I think he is the standout in terms of realistic appointments.  Seems very switched on, ambitious and he likes to play attacking football. Two promotions in two years, seems very switched on, focused and would bring a good coaching team with him. Rather than talking about a mysterious 'identity' he really would bring in an identity of attacking football.   Players would know their role and have to buy into that attacking approach.  City fans have always aspired for a manager and team who play attacking football and to get a manager who plays that way and seems a winner as well would be a good fit.    

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Has achieved even less than Lee Johnson and, in a season when Celtic were there for the taking, has blown it. No thanks. 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep done nothing special so far. Him being a star player makes zero difference to his ability as a head coach.

I know, I get that. But my general point was that I think we need a well-known and highly respected personality to take us to a different level in terms of PR/wider perception in football. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Jokanovic. 2 seasons, 2 play off finals.

Ludicrously sacked after having about 20 players bought for him on deadline day at the beginning of the Prem season 

I’ve just seen a copy of the WhatsApp message from your Fulham mate. 
It’s a convincing argument. 

9 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I'd be delighted with Ryan Lowe. I think he is the standout in terms of realistic appointments.  Seems very switched on, ambitious and he likes to play attacking football. Two promotions in two years, seems very switched on, focused and would bring a good coaching team with him. Rather than talking about a mysterious 'identity' he really would bring in an identity of attacking football.   Players would know their role and have to buy into that attacking approach.  City fans have always aspired for a manager and team who play attacking football and to get a manager who plays that way and seems a winner as well would be a good fit.    

I dont understand this shout. Yes this guy has been promoted from league 2 but we are looking for prem football.....I cant think of an example where a manager has jumped from league 2 to champ with no experience in l1 first and been successful. Look at huddersfield, under cowley they have gone nowhere.

5 minutes ago, Winston said:

Not that I have much faith in SL to appoint a decent manager, but jeez I’m glad the OTIB crew aren’t selecting the new manager. Stuart Pearce... Nigel Clough... Steve McClaren!! 

Add Ryan Lowe to that list 

Archived