IGNORED

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

There are a few on the list who I’d be happy taking a chance with, certainly Paul Cook being one, as I like his recruitment history and his cv. 
However, I do wonder if any such appointment, from many of those names, would be another ‘fanbase splitter’. 
I think it’s time this club went to the next level in terms of its PR and general perception in the world of football. To do that, I think we need to bring in a big name, to make a statement of intent. For me, that’s Gerrard. 
I’m not kidding myself that this is actually in any way likely, but I do believe that we need something like that to be a bit of a launchpad to the next level. And he’d certainly have the backing of the majority of the fanbase and not be a polarising appointment. 

I couldn't care less about our PR and general perception.  Sheff U didn't when they appointed Wilder.  Because he's done such a great job the PR and perception followed. 

We would become 'Steven Gerrard's Bristol City' which would massively irritate and he has no real pedigree other than getting a footballing giant somewhere near it's rightful place in a shockingly bad league.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know, I get that. But my general point was that I think we need a well-known and highly respected personality to take us to a different level in terms of PR/wider perception in football. 

I'm too deliriously happy tonight to argue, mate! 

All I'll say is that PR/wider perceptions don't concern me because junior's sacking is confirmation - if confirmation were needed - that the owner is serious about promotion. What's more, we have enough talent in the squad to give that a damn good go. Given our current structure, where an egotistical CEO oversees player transactions, what we need now is a Coach (not an old school manager) who can get the very best out of the players he's given to coach. Either that or sweep all the horseshite out of the stables tonight and get rid of Ashton too, allowing us to appoint an old school Manager. This, unfortunately, will never happen - which means the next appointment will not be about "who can get the best out of these players?" but "who will agree to work with (under) Mark Ashton?"

1 hour ago, redsapper said:

I was at an FA dinner where Nigel Atkins was the guest speaker. He was asked about his next job he wanted. 

His response was he wanted a project where he could advance a club. He did a great job at Southampton before they replaced him with Mauricio Pochettino   

A good fit from my point of view. 

that's the most important point is it being the right fit. Going for all these pipedream managers is fanciful and will not work out when the reality of budget constraints hits home. Adkins has done a good job everywhere he has been and exudes positivity. He'd be my number one choice

20 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I'd be delighted with Ryan Lowe. I think he is the standout in terms of realistic appointments.  Seems very switched on, ambitious and he likes to play attacking football. Two promotions in two years, seems very switched on, focused and would bring a good coaching team with him. Rather than talking about a mysterious 'identity' he really would bring in an identity of attacking football.   Players would know their role and have to buy into that attacking approach.  City fans have always aspired for a manager and team who play attacking football and to get a manager who plays that way and seems a winner as well would be a good fit.    

I was just thinking the same. Always comes across as a great guy who would gel with the players and the fans alike and really has worked wonders at both Bury and now Plymouth getting promotions at both. Interestingly he seems to like his teams to play in an attacking 3-5-2 / 3-4-1-2 formation too which I think would be perfect for our squad! I think he's going to be a top top manager, would be a very interesting appointment for us certainly! 

Ryan Lowe has built an interesting coaching team as well and I am sure they would come with him.  

https://www.pafc.co.uk/teams/coaching-staff/

Also seems demanding and ambitious but without being a managerial dinosaur. His attacking brand of football would fit with the type of player in City's squad. At the start of the season he put out this message :-  'My way or the highway!' Plymouth Argyle manager Ryan Lowe demands players buy into his attacking philosophy, or they'll be gone.

I think he would put the fun back in watching City and that hasn't been there for a long time. Would be a brave but inspired appointment I reckon.

49 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. 

The problem is there are a number of very good managers now at this level. Anyone can beat anyone.

We could have Houghton a few years and not make it and not see particularly good football.

I would rather we just go for it. A bit like Norwich did last season. If we don't go up then we don't, but we are seeing attacking, attractive football whilst trying to get there.

I prefer Brentford of this season style to Norwich 2018/19 personally. It's very enjoyable but there's a better balance between attacking and defensive side.

They (Norwich) conceded and I'm talking last season, quite a few goals and chances. 

However the level of manager (and club losses) is rising season on season, no guarantees. Have my questions about Hughton style of play.

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know, I get that. But my general point was that I think we need a well-known and highly respected personality to take us to a different level in terms of PR/wider perception in football. 

Would much rather have a good manager than any kind of personality!

Gerrard is manager of Rangers, one of the biggest clubs in the UK, a club that is literally guaranteed 1st or 2nd spot, firstly I cant imagine for one moment he would come here, personally I wouldn’t want him here, imo we are crying out for an experienced manager whose been around the block. 

Our  lack of experience and know how on the bench, has been a massive part of us constantly failing over the last 4 years. An experienced manager would have never have  let these constant 7-8-9 game bad runs happen. 

One thing that strikes me about all this - unlike any appointment I can remember, we’re not in a huge hurry to make an appointment, we don’t need the new man to save us from relegation, we’re not desperately trying to escape League One and we’re a more attractive proposition to an incoming manager than perhaps we’ve ever been.

I actually think that’s probably LJ’s greatest legacy.

30 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I couldn't care less about our PR and general perception.  Sheff U didn't when they appointed Wilder.  Because he's done such a great job the PR and perception followed. 

We would become 'Steven Gerrard's Bristol City' which would massively irritate and he has no real pedigree other than getting a footballing giant somewhere near it's rightful place in a shockingly bad league.

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm too deliriously happy tonight to argue, mate! 

All I'll say is that PR/wider perceptions don't concern me because junior's sacking is confirmation - if confirmation were needed - that the owner is serious about promotion. What's more, we have enough talent in the squad to give that a damn good go. Given our current structure, where an egotistical CEO oversees player transactions, what we need now is a Coach (not an old school manager) who can get the very best out of the players he's given to coach. Either that or sweep all the horseshite out of the stables tonight and get rid of Ashton too, allowing us to appoint an old school Manager. This, unfortunately, will never happen - which means the next appointment will not be about "who can get the best out of these players?" but "who will agree to work with (under) Mark Ashton?"

Yep. Totally get what you’re saying chaps. 

I just think we’re at a bit of a crossroads now. SL has put together this club philosophy, something he’d been working on for years as his vision. 
When SOD came aboard, it was with this overall vision in mind. But then he ripped that up with the SC appointment. 
He then went back to the vision with LJ. And he was seen as the pair of hands that would steer us on the path of this vision for many years. 

We’re now at a point where the vision could ‘potentially’ be ripped up again. 

We are at a 3-way junction. 
We can carry straight on and appoint someone who will be a good pair of hands and work within the vision, but perhaps be a younger, unproven man, or someone with lower level success - like a Ryan Lowe, Paul Cook, Gareth Ainsworth. 

Or we can turn right and appoint someone who has done it at this level, a Hughton or Jokanovic. I’d agree that these would be the most likely and sensible appointments. But, this might mean tearing a few strips in the overall vision and structure. 

Or we can turn left, go totally leftfield, with someone who will be a decent enough coach, but will be a real profile-raiser outside of our club. We do still suffer from ‘little Bristol City’ mentality. We no doubt miss out on good players because we’re still seen as a bit of a footballing backwater. A Gerrard-type appointment would potentially be a catalyst to lift the club out of that mentality and perception. Money talks in football, of course, but so does a vision. Having a Gerrard-type may attract a different calibre of player too. 

As said earlier, I’m not saying this is a realistic option, but SL is at an important crossroads now. Carry on with a young coach, take a proven coach but sacrifice the structural integrity, or go for broke with a ‘name’. I’m not just talking any ‘name’, for this option it’d have to be a huge name with worldwide respect - Gerrard would be respected by fans, players and media alike, and would be an interesting statement of intent. 

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Love it that Lowe is being mentioned after I was laughed off the forum for suggesting it last week.

Knowing our modus operandi I think he could be our guy.

Ha ha. You certainly weren’t laughed off by me bud. It’s a very good and realistic shout. 
I like Lowe and I know he has a lot of respect in the game. 
And he had a good pop at the Rovers bench last year too ?

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. You certainly weren’t laughed off by me bud. It’s a very good and realistic shout. 
I like Lowe and I know he has a lot of respect in the game. 

If Ryan Lowe is our next manager I will give every poster on her £100 quid. No chance itll happen.

6 minutes ago, Lez said:

If Ryan Lowe is our next manager I will give every poster on her £100 quid. No chance itll happen.

I’m certainly not saying it’ll happen, but he’s a manager that has produced a CV that means he’s a realistic part of the conversation. 

5 minutes ago, Street red said:

Hughton or McCarthy for me Hughton my number one choice he has vast experience and gets teams out the championship,Pay the money and go for it! 

Hughton is certainly interested. 
Lots of people think he wouldn’t come here, but I understand he would. 

I’m certainly not saying it’ll happen, but he’s a manager that has produced a CV that means he’s a realistic part of the conversation. 

Completely disagree. Seem to remember Michael Appleton was odds on when Cotrerill was sacked.....managing in l1 or l2 at the time.

MA came out and said he wasnt sn option due to where we are as a club and where we are looking to go.....we are now wanting promotion, not championship security.....yet linked to a guy who yes got promoted from l2 but little else in his managerial career.

To put it bluntly Lowe is there as an outlier, no chance we will be even seriously considering him.

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Totally get what you’re saying chaps. 

I just think we’re at a bit of a crossroads now. SL has put together this club philosophy, something he’d been working on for years as his vision. 
When SOD came aboard, it was with this overall vision in mind. But then he ripped that up with the SC appointment. 
He then went back to the vision with LJ. And he was seen as the pair of hands that would steer us on the path of this vision for many years. 

We’re now at a point where the vision could ‘potentially’ be ripped up again. 

We are at a 3-way junction. 
We can carry straight on and appoint someone who will be a good pair of hands and work within the vision, but perhaps be a younger, unproven man, or someone with lower level success - like a Ryan Lowe, Paul Cook, Gareth Ainsworth. 

Or we can turn right and appoint someone who has done it at this level, a Hughton or Jokanovic. I’d agree that these would be the most likely and sensible appointments. But, this might mean tearing a few strips in the overall vision and structure. 

Or we can turn left, go totally leftfield, with someone who will be a decent enough coach, but will be a real profile-raiser outside of our club. We do still suffer from ‘little Bristol City’ mentality. We no doubt miss out on good players because we’re still seen as a bit of a footballing backwater. A Gerrard-type appointment would potentially be a catalyst to lift the club out of that mentality and perception. Money talks in football, of course, but so does a vision. Having a Gerrard-type may attract a different calibre of player too. 

As said earlier, I’m not saying this is a realistic option, but SL is at an important crossroads now. Carry on with a young coach, take a proven coach but sacrifice the structural integrity, or go for broke with a ‘name’. I’m not just talking any ‘name’, for this option it’d have to be a huge name with worldwide respect - Gerrard would be respected by fans, players and media alike, and would be an interesting statement of intent. 

Great post.  I'm thinking along similar lines.  Just wrote a ridiculously long post comparing the football and rugby sides on another thread.   We need someone able to manage upwards like Pat Lam does for the rugby team...  

8 minutes ago, Lez said:

Completely disagree. Seem to remember Michael Appleton was odds on when Cotrerill was sacked.....managing in l1 or l2 at the time.

MA came out and said he wasnt sn option due to where we are as a club and where we are looking to go.....we are now wanting promotion, not championship security.....yet linked to a guy who yes got promoted from l2 but little else in his managerial career.

To put it bluntly Lowe is there as an outlier, no chance we will be even seriously considering him.

I disagree. He’s well respected in the game and seen as a talented manager, with 2 promo’s already to his name. 
Of course he puts himself into the conversation. Not saying it’s a serious consideration or even likely, but any club of our standing would at the very least have a conversation about him. 

I disagree. He’s well respected in the game and seen as a talented manager, with 2 promo’s already to his name. 
Of course he puts himself into the conversation. Not saying it’s a serious consideration or even likely, but any club of our standing would at the very least have a conversation about him. 

"What about Ryan Lowe?"

"No"

Conversation over. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. 

The problem is there are a number of very good managers now at this level. Anyone can beat anyone.

We could have Houghton a few years and not make it and not see particularly good football.

I would rather we just go for it. A bit like Norwich did last season. If we don't go up then we don't, but we are seeing attacking, attractive football whilst trying to get there.

Right with you there JD.  

From a personal point of view, it was the standard of our football, rather than position in the table that was the reason I wanted LJ gone.  I’d hate to think we’d settle for someone else with a rep for uninspiring football, in the hope that their promotion record might just give us a better chance of promotion, but still with poor football.

If we can get someone who can deliver some good football, at least we’ve been entertained, even if we don’t go up.

Horses for courses I suppose and often fans want different things, but I really hope we go out for the best appointment we possibly can and don’t just go for a relatively cheap punt, or who delivers dull football.

3 hours ago, 40 Years of Hurt said:

I reckon Kenny Jacket would be a good shout if Portsmouth don’t go up through playoffs. He has a good win record and knows League 1 players 

Always liked KJ, seems a really genuine bloke, gives an honest concise interview, would fit our developing young players philosophy, been around a bit.

Many will say an uninspiring choice though but a good shout IMO.

Archived