IGNORED

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Whoever gets this job is going to get the same poisoned chalice that Derek McInnes got. 

Bloated squad that needs trimming with no money to spend. SL really did back the wrong horse. 

Sorry but there are literally no similarities between us now and the side back then, both on and off the pitch. Yes the squad size is large but the difference in ability between this squad and the one that Mciness took over is obvious. To describe the club now as a ‘poisoned chalice’ when we’re sitting in mid table having slightly underperformed this season is odd, we’re probably in a better place now, both on and off the field than we have been for a long time, and a lot of that is down to LJ and the progress he has made. What we need now is a manager who can take us to the next level. For Mciness the aim was survival, for our next manager we need someone to take us to the play offs, still struggling to see how that’s the same ‘Poisoned chalice’

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep. Totally get what you’re saying chaps. 

I just think we’re at a bit of a crossroads now. SL has put together this club philosophy, something he’d been working on for years as his vision. 
When SOD came aboard, it was with this overall vision in mind. But then he ripped that up with the SC appointment. 
He then went back to the vision with LJ. And he was seen as the pair of hands that would steer us on the path of this vision for many years. 

We’re now at a point where the vision could ‘potentially’ be ripped up again. 

We are at a 3-way junction. 
We can carry straight on and appoint someone who will be a good pair of hands and work within the vision, but perhaps be a younger, unproven man, or someone with lower level success - like a Ryan Lowe, Paul Cook, Gareth Ainsworth. 

Or we can turn right and appoint someone who has done it at this level, a Hughton or Jokanovic. I’d agree that these would be the most likely and sensible appointments. But, this might mean tearing a few strips in the overall vision and structure. 

Or we can turn left, go totally leftfield, with someone who will be a decent enough coach, but will be a real profile-raiser outside of our club. We do still suffer from ‘little Bristol City’ mentality. We no doubt miss out on good players because we’re still seen as a bit of a footballing backwater. A Gerrard-type appointment would potentially be a catalyst to lift the club out of that mentality and perception. Money talks in football, of course, but so does a vision. Having a Gerrard-type may attract a different calibre of player too. 

As said earlier, I’m not saying this is a realistic option, but SL is at an important crossroads now. Carry on with a young coach, take a proven coach but sacrifice the structural integrity, or go for broke with a ‘name’. I’m not just talking any ‘name’, for this option it’d have to be a huge name with worldwide respect - Gerrard would be respected by fans, players and media alike, and would be an interesting statement of intent. 

Can someone lease tell me what Stevie G has done in the managerial game to warrant being touted as a manager of a club aiming for promotion to the Premier League? 

Credit where credits due he's finished 2nd in the SPL. But with the players at his disposal that should be a given in the SPL. Rangers have been woefully short of a relatively poor Celtic side and not looked like pushing them. 

I don't get it. Plus he'd never come here. 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Sorry but there are literally no similarities between us now and the side back then, both on and off the pitch. Yes the squad size is large but the difference in ability between this squad and the one that O’Driscoll took over is obvious. To describe the club now as a ‘poisoned chalice’ when we’re sitting in mid table having slightly underperformed this season is odd, we’re probably in a better place now, both on and off the field than we have been for a long time, and a lot of that, I’m sorry to say, is down to LJ.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my poisoned chalice description.  The new manager inherits a large squad on incredible wages. There’ll probably be little room for him to make a personal stamp on it owing to the incredible amounts LJ spent and the external factors of coronavirus.

I don’t agree LJ was some sort of saviour figure for us. I think he did an adequate job with the resources he was given.

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my poisoned chalice description.  The new manager inherits a large squad on incredible wages. There’ll probably be little room for him to make a personal stamp on it owing to the incredible amounts LJ spent and the external factors of coronavirus.

I don’t agree LJ was some sort of saviour figure for us. I think he did an adequate job with the resources he was given.

Yep there’s a large squad, but is it the same as the one Mciness took over? Not at all, we’re 8 places higher than where we ended up in Mciness’ first season, the academy is in a much stronger position, there’s more money in the club and there’s a lot more potential. 

Nobody is claiming LJ was a ‘saviour figure’ but to not recognise that over the last four years he’s taken us from a side threatened by relegation to a top half side, for whom relegation isn’t an issue and the next step will be getting into the top six, is unfair on him and what he’s done for the club. 

12 minutes ago, redrob said:

Can someone lease tell me what Stevie G has done in the managerial game to warrant being touted as a manager of a club aiming for promotion to the Premier League? 

Credit where credits due he's finished 2nd in the SPL. But with the players at his disposal that should be a given in the SPL. Rangers have been woefully short of a relatively poor Celtic side and not looked like pushing them. 

I don't get it. Plus he'd never come here. 

Frank Lampard has done a pretty good job after managing Derby and dosen't seem out of place in the Premiership 

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Sorry but there are literally no similarities between us now and the side back then, both on and off the pitch. Yes the squad size is large but the difference in ability between this squad and the one that Mciness took over is obvious. To describe the club now as a ‘poisoned chalice’ when we’re sitting in mid table having slightly underperformed this season is odd, we’re probably in a better place now, both on and off the field than we have been for a long time, and a lot of that is down to LJ and the progress he has made. What we need now is a manager who can take us to the next level. For Mciness the aim was survival, for our next manager we need someone to take us to the play offs, still struggling to see how that’s the same ‘Poisoned chalice’

Most of our recent managerial appointments have taken a hospital pass, so to speak, as they took over when the club was going backwards. The new manager will inherit a squad that until lockdown had been knocking on the door of the play offs, albeit only gently, and had done so for the last couple of seasons.

Post GJ we had a longish period when the squad was full of journeymen at the tail end of their careers and on decent money, so it was difficult move them out. During the time LJ has been charge the clubs strategy has ensured that while we have a big squad, the majority are young and good enough that if the new man regards them as surplus to requirements,  we can almost certainly sell them, and in many cases  probably for a profit.

The club is also in a far better place off the pitch and with an owner who has demonstrated loyalty to his managers/head coaches and his financial backing.I know that some fans might see the clubs sustainability strategy as a drawback to potential candidates, but I think the reverse. The pandemic will have hit clubs very hard, and you can only sell your stadium once to bail yourselves out! The fact that sustainability is now established here, that we have an owner willing and able to support the club and it's manager, when many might be struggling to do so in the near future and will then be forced  to follow a similar financial course to us, puts us ahead of the game, not behind it.

6 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

I got a feeling its gonna be Steve Mclaren.  Dont ask why. 

Schteeve McLaren?

I think you're talking Double Dutch!

1 minute ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Ichbin Trainer would be a good shout!

There is a product you can buy for that from your local chemist. Apparently it stops itching and you can wear your trainers after 24 hours.

I don't think we will end up going for Hughton unless we change our model/strategy.

I found the below article which suggests in 4 and a half years Hughton only gave academy graduates 18 minutes of playing time.  

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/analysing-brighton-sacking-chris-hughton-one-year-on/

He may well have the track record on promotions but will SL etc put their vision for the club at risk.

13 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

Who's to say the current incumbent won't do a good job, and keep it? It's pretty much what I think SL is hoping for, 5 games left, win say three or four, and a contract for the new season, not sexy, but very SL.

Think you may have missed some news. 

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Whoever gets this job is going to get the same poisoned chalice that Derek McInnes got. 

Bloated squad that needs trimming with no money to spend. SL really did back the wrong horse. 

Disagree, McInnes inherited a bunch of players who were older and had no value bar Maynard and Adomah. Think Fontaine, Nyatanga, Stead etc

if the next manager wanted to rebuild to his style, there are some players there with resell value.

Palmer, Jay Dasilva, Eliasson, Diedhiou, O’Leary, Walsh, Massengo, Morrell etc.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I am with you to an extent but there are plenty of saleable assets in this squad. Not a good year to be sellers but if we needed to raise some funds I am sure we could/will. 

Eliasson and Fam I think are likely to go. Even if we sell Fam for less than we bought it will show as profit as his contract has a season left. Players like Adelakun, Szmodics and Bakinson can raise some funds and be off the wage bill. Also players like Baker, Hunt and Weimann are in their final years so could be easier to move. 

It is not a perfect situation, especially season 1, but there is a solid young core here. There is a proven goal scorer here and possibly two if we bought Afobe(I am not so sure we should). We will still have experience in players like Kalas, Bentley, Wells, O’Dowda and I’d bring Korey back. Whatever you think of some of them they are all solid championship options if not great first choices. 

There is a solid group to build from. Just need Ashton and whoever comes in on the same page. 

24 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am with you to an extent but there are plenty of saleable assets in this squad. Not a good year to be sellers but if we needed to raise some funds I am sure we could/will. 

Eliasson and Fam I think are likely to go. Even if we sell Fam for less than we bought it will show as profit as his contract has a season left. Players like Adelakun, Szmodics and Bakinson can raise some funds and be off the wage bill. Also players like Baker, Hunt and Weimann are in their final years so could be easier to move. 

I think you need to take your rose tinted glasses off when it comes to saleable assets in the squad, especially in the current climate. No way will we be getting anywhere near the £20 million + in player sales that has bankrolled our spending over the past couple of seasons. Johnson / Ashton cocked up. We had to invest that money well and we didn’t and now a new manager will have to try and form an unbalanced squad in to a promotion side. They will get a bit of money from the sales of Eliasson and Diedhiou but we won’t be in a very strong position to get great fees for them. The other players you mention will be really hard to shift unless we sale for peanuts. 

Archived