IGNORED

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Don't quite get the poor football argument with Hughton.

This was his last promotion

2 Brighton & Hove Albion (P) 46 28 9 9 74 40 +34 93

Doesn't look very negative.

Happy to have my opinion altered mind.

12 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

So nearly half of respondants who didnt like LJ's style of football want Chris Hughton. That makes no sense whatsoever unless you want promotion at any cost including sacraficing attacking football for a few more years.

Lets have a few more years of us being set up not to lose. Can't wait.

From what I remember of Brighton is they played a very organised pressing style just past the halfway line. It caused teams to lose possession and they were very efficient countering. That was how I remembered them from the game at AG. It was pretty in the championship but went very defensive in the premier league. Maybe it is a case of lesson learned for him if he got another side promoted. That said, it is why he is my second choice behind Jokanovic of popular names. 

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

From what I remember of Brighton is they played a very organised pressing style just past the halfway line. It caused teams to lose possession and they were very efficient countering. That was how I remembered them from the game at AG. It was pretty in the championship but went very defensive in the premier league. Maybe it is a case of lesson learned for him if he got another side promoted. That said, it is why he is my second choice behind Jokanovic of popular names. 

Its understandable promoted teams go more defensive on entering the premiership. His remit would have been keep them up not play pretty football, if you try and go toe to toe with some of this bigger teams you end up getting walloped.

From what I've seen of his teams in the championship they have always played nice stuff and scored lots of goals. 

Honestly I can't see any manager playing more negatively than johnson did at the end. 

The more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards Mick McCarthy. Has promotion experience, worked miracles at Ipswich on a shoestring budget, builds a solid hard to beat team without being boring, straight talker. 
Might ruffle a few feathers too

Looking through the list of options has some very weird choices, and some I'd pick in a heartbeat.

I'd have Steven Gerrard purely for the Liverpool connections. I'd also have Frank de Boer, although the chances of him leaving Atlanta United for us is slim and none, considering they're the closest America has to a huge team. Hughton would be amazing, if he'd join us.

If history is anything to go by, though, it's that Lansdown will want someone who is cheap, and who completely buys into his philosophy of sustainability through youth. I don't know if any of those names are right for him, so I'm inclined to believe that Flynn is going to end up as our next coach.

2 minutes ago, Dredd said:

The more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards Mick McCarthy. Has promotion experience, worked miracles at Ipswich on a shoestring budget, builds a solid hard to beat team without being boring, straight talker. 
Might ruffle a few feathers too

Unless they change the CEO/Head Coach model, I can’t see any of the ‘old school’ managers such as McCarthy and Hughton being appointed.  Can you imagine anyone like them, or Warnock or Pulis, surrendering control of transfer dealings to Mark Ashton?

The likes of Flynn or Rowe are far more credible candidates, though Flynn would be a real wild card given that he has yet to win anything.  Continental managers might buy into the model, but Steve Lansdown will remember how things ended with Cotterill and I can‘t see him wanting that kind of relationship again.

Depends how much control Ashton actually has. If it’s manager identifies player x, MA goes and negotiates purchase, then I can’t see too much of an issue. 
It does seem like there is an element of MA telling LJ that Brownhill had to be sold for example  

21 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Left field and I may get slaughtered but I wouldn't mind Sven-Goran Eriksson... Probably can't afford him though.

IKEA nearby ... could work

16 hours ago, foghornred said:

The only thing that I want is an Englishman

Genuine quetion ... Why?

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

My pal from Norrrwicch says Hughton played the most boringly defensive football he has ever seen at Carrow Road.

Others say his team at Brighton banged the goals in for fun...

So that would be Prem v Champs circumstances I assume. 

Summary = hire, promote, fire 

And there you have it.

Pin this for future reference.

Said similar earlier.  Let’s worry about football style in the Prem, when (if) we get there.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Said similar earlier.  Let’s worry about football style in the Prem, when (if) we get there.

Couldn't agree less.

After watching Johnson's sides for the last couple of years all I want is to see exciting football.

And we wouldn't be worrying about style in the Premier, we'd be parking the bus.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

Couldn't agree less.

After watching Johnson's sides for the last couple of years all I want is to see exciting football.

And we wouldn't be worrying about style in the Premier, we'd be parking the bus.

But you’ll get this (exciting football) with Hughton based on his previous set up / approach in the Championship.

20 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

So nearly half of respondants who didnt like LJ's style of football want Chris Hughton. That makes no sense whatsoever unless you want promotion at any cost including sacraficing attacking football for a few more years.

Brighton 3-0 Forest, Brighton 3-0 Rotherham, Brighton 5-0 Norwich, Brighton 3-0 QPR, Brighton 4-0 Burton, Brighton 4-0 Reading, Brighton 3-0 Derby.

All results from their promotion season, with there also being plenty more games where they scored 3+. If that’s defensive horrible football then by all means I’ll take it...

Regardless I’ve personally always been willing to sacrifice good football for results, it’s rare that a club like us gets out of this division playing expansive, open attacking football.

20 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Who is your choice, by the way?

Whomever we appoint the key to a successful team and obtaining promotion is not conceding goals. It may not be the most attractive but all successful teams are based on a solid well organised defence. To put it bluntly if you don’t concede any goals you only need to score ONE goal every two games to get four points.  Ultimately I suppose it depends on whether we want to get to the Premier League or play “open” football drawing 2-2  or losing 3-2 every week.

56 minutes ago, Redland said:

Whomever we appoint the key to a successful team and obtaining promotion is not conceding goals. It may not be the most attractive but all successful teams are based on a solid well organised defence. To put it bluntly if you don’t concede any goals you only need to score ONE goal every two games to get four points.  Ultimately I suppose it depends on whether we want to get to the Premier League or play “open” football drawing 2-2  or losing 3-2 every week.

Yes, we went closest with Webster and Kalas, and a steady keeper, and without a Tammy, Reid or Afobe (or even a Kodjia) or piles of goals.

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Brighton 3-0 Forest, Brighton 3-0 Rotherham, Brighton 5-0 Norwich, Brighton 3-0 QPR, Brighton 4-0 Burton, Brighton 4-0 Reading, Brighton 3-0 Derby.

All results from their promotion season, with there also being plenty more games where they scored 3+. If that’s defensive horrible football then by all means I’ll take it...

Regardless I’ve personally always been willing to sacrifice good football for results, it’s rare that a club like us gets out of this division playing expansive, open attacking football.

Good post Aaron.

Clean sheets, remember them? 

1 hour ago, Redland said:

No likes left, spot on Redland.

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well there definitely is. Do you think Robins and Hughton will command the same wage?

One would require paying Coventry. So I would expect they'd end up similar amounts.

The cheap options are Holden / Macca, not someone already employed. 

Archived