IGNORED

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If time is not of the essence it always makes sense to interview shortlisted candidates for top appointments, but like Mark Ashton I have been involved in plenty of recruitment exercises for such jobs, albeit in a different field, and this approach sometimes means that you fail to get the best candidate. If one individual is outstanding, you risk them being headhunted by another employer whilst the process is going on (in my world because of the grapevine, but in the City’s world courtesy of the media). Then again, that outstanding candidate will not find it particularly flattering to be subjected to a lengthy round of interviews for a job that they have already proved that they can do with another employer (particularly when their competition for that job is of the ‘up and coming’ variety.) People who are very much in demand need to be fussed over a bit to make them warm to one employer rather than another.

I think that Chris Hughton with his two promotions to the top flight is an outstanding candidate for the City job and subjecting him to the type of recruitment process described by Mark Ashton runs the real risk that he will go elsewhere (e.g. Birmingham City to name but one). If there is no-one else with a similar CV (which I doubt) we should contact him today and begin talks. He still might not join us because of concerns over Ashton’s role or funding issues but it would be a terrible mistake to lose the opportunity because we are slow off the mark. At the very least, let's tell him we want to talk to him to show we are interested, because we desperately need an experienced man at the helm.

10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So the MA cohorts you quoted and was just utter bull crap.

Yep- best leave me to it- love the bit about providing for your family though- if indeed you do!

That's quite rude, I think you should take that back. @Ska Junkie is a poster I've noticed for always being polite and respectful of others on here and doesn't deserve that.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Who was that with @Roadrunner?

This is latest with Skybet

Screenshot_20200709-095906_Sky Bet.jpg

What I'd read into that is that the bookies have no firm leads - basically minimal movement (besides the usual random outliers) since he was sacked.

I'd imagine lots of the same names will feature on the odds for Birmingham too (Hughton, Karanka, Adkins, McCarthy, Jokanovic, Robins).

10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So the MA cohorts you quoted and was just utter bull crap.

Yep- best leave me to it- love the bit about providing for your family though- if indeed you do!

Uncalled for I think

50 minutes ago, robc said:

If time is not of the essence it always makes sense to interview shortlisted candidates for top appointments, but like Mark Ashton I have been involved in plenty of recruitment exercises for such jobs, albeit in a different field, and this approach sometimes means that you fail to get the best candidate. If one individual is outstanding, you risk them being headhunted by another employer whilst the process is going on (in my world because of the grapevine, but in the City’s world courtesy of the media). Then again, that outstanding candidate will not find it particularly flattering to be subjected to a lengthy round of interviews for a job that they have already proved that they can do with another employer (particularly when their competition for that job is of the ‘up and coming’ variety.) People who are very much in demand need to be fussed over a bit to make them warm to one employer rather than another.

I think that Chris Hughton with his two promotions to the top flight is an outstanding candidate for the City job and subjecting him to the type of recruitment process described by Mark Ashton runs the real risk that he will go elsewhere (e.g. Birmingham City to name but one). If there is no-one else with a similar CV (which I doubt) we should contact him today and begin talks. He still might not join us because of concerns over Ashton’s role or funding issues but it would be a terrible mistake to lose the opportunity because we are slow off the mark. At the very least, let's tell him we want to talk to him to show we are interested, because we desperately need an experienced man at the helm.

I seem to remember we didn’t go into an interview process with LJ and he was announced very quickly.  

The fact we got rid of LJ before the end of the season gave the impression we were going to act quickly.  With Mark Ashton saying yesterday that we haven’t even spoken to anybody yet makes a fairly quick appointment seem less likely.

It could be we’re just waiting a few days to see just who shows an interest, but if they haven’t by now, they aren’t going to.

Alternatively, I wonder if there are conflicting views within the club as to who is the best candidate for the post?  MA gave a clue to this yesterday, when he said there were discussions going on with SL about the various options

Ass you say, I really hope we don’t mess around and miss out on the best candidate.

1 hour ago, robc said:

Good post, thanks.

Ok. So up until now I have been pro Robins, because I like his style of football and because I have thought that he is the most promising candidate that may be prepared to work within the current system and specifically with Ashton, who incidentally I still can't decide whether I like or not.

But following the Lansdown interview on Talksport, which granted might just be soundbites and lip service, it does appear that he is alluding to somebody that can get us to the Premier, and it would be strange for him to do that if he wasn't thinking along the lines of someone that has already achieved it.

Maybe, just maybe this is also alluding to a shift change in the club. At the time I had an inside track on the working relationship with Cotterill, and it was no surprise to me that they wanted somebody completely opposite as his successor. But maybe this last four years has taught them that they went too far the other way. I certainly hope so.

First and foremost, I want to be entertained again. I want exciting football again. 

So I would now say that out of the candidates that have achieved what we now wish for, I would be hesitant with McCarthy as I think he would be too far back towards Cotterill in terms of personality (fine with me, but I won't have to work with him), and I would also be hesitant with Hughton as the overall consensus doesn't seem able to decide whether the football would be great or more of the same dross that we are all sick of.

So in summary, if we truly are going to go for it, let's go balls out and get Jokanovic here.

If we are not, I still think that the best (or least worst) candidate is Robins.

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I seem to remember we didn’t go into an interview process with LJ and he was announced very quickly.  

The fact we got rid of LJ before the end of the season gave the impression we were going to act quickly.  With Mark Ashton saying yesterday that we haven’t even spoken to anybody yet makes a fairly quick appointment seem less likely.

It could be we’re just waiting a few days to see just who shows an interest, but if they haven’t by now, they aren’t going to.

Alternatively, I wonder if there are conflicting views within the club as to who is the best candidate for the post?  MA gave a clue to this yesterday, when he said there were discussions going on with SL about the various options

Ass you say, I really hope we don’t mess around and miss out on the best candidate.

Rule no1....don’t believe everything that Mark Ashton says.  The fact that SL says he wants someone in before the end of the season means they are acting now.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see an appointment early next week.

4 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

There was a 22 day gap between Cotterill being sacked and LJ being appointed.

Actually a longer period than I thought was the case & if repeated would mean this season was over before we make this appointment.

5 hours ago, robc said:

The think is we don't know who the outstanding candidate is, CH would be great but we might have other great applicants who can't go public at this time, we might have a target it mind who would be equally impressive. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

There was a 22 day gap between Cotterill being sacked and LJ being appointed.

Actually a longer period than I thought was the case & if repeated would mean this season was over before we make this appointment.

I’m really surprised at that and thought it was way quicker than that.  

I seem to remember someone at the club (SL?) saying nobody else was interviewed for the post, so that could have put the idea in my head that it was faster than it actually was.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Rule no1....don’t believe everything that Mark Ashton says.  The fact that SL says he wants someone in before the end of the season means they are acting now.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see an appointment early next week.

True, I don’t know whether Gregor was quoting someone for the club, or maybe just speculating.  I take your point if it was MA though. ?

It certainly sounded from SL’s piece today that they’re hoping to move quite quickly.  I would look on that as a positive, as we’d have more chance of getting in before rivals and hopefully, there’s less likelihood of an internal appointment.

15 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You didnt watch the game then or did you think that was an improvement .?

A slight improvement on the last game, against quite possibly the worst team  in the Championship.  We won by one goal,  its hardly a reason to be advocating Holdens appointment as full time manager?  Personally i will reserve my judgement until after the next 4 games, it would have to be in my opinion, a spectacular turn around in organisation and tactics, for him to even be considered as a potential manager.  For me, Holden is part of the problem, and not part of the solution.  He is a caretaker manager for 4 games, and I would imagine after that he will be thanked and given his P45.

On 09/07/2020 at 11:01, Phileas Fogg said:

That's quite rude, I think you should take that back. @Ska Junkie is a poster I've noticed for always being polite and respectful of others on here and doesn't deserve that.

On 09/07/2020 at 11:19, BigTone said:

Uncalled for I think

So - I call out what I consider as some fake MA news. I ask for confirmation and I don't get it. What I do get is stuff about importance of family etc.

WTF is that to do with just asking an anonymous poster ( we pretty much all are) being asked to back up wild claims?

If someone posts something as fact that they can't then back up then why is anything else they say fact?

And that's what I've taught my 15 children.

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So - I call out what I consider as some fake MA news. I ask for confirmation and I don't get it. What I do get is stuff about importance of family etc.

WTF is that to do with just asking an anonymous poster ( we pretty much all are) being asked to back up wild claims?

If someone posts something as fact that they can't then back up then why is anything else they say fact?

And that's what I've taught my 15 children.

Read your post. Your personal jibe at the end was quite frankly obnoxious and pathetic.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Archived