IGNORED

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jokanovic or Hughton for me both have experience of getting teams promoted from the championship (both have done it twice). 

Carlos Carvalhal is doing a good job at Rio Ave and did a good job at Wednesday. Karanka could be a good choice. 

Clough and wagner are not my first choice but I wouldn't be upset if either was appointed. 

Flores, Van Bommel, Silva are ones we probably couldn't get.

2 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Jokanovic or Hughton for me both have experience of getting teams promoted from the championship (both have done it twice). 

Carlos Carvalhal is doing a good job at Rio Ave and did a good job at Wednesday. Karanka could be a good choice. 

Clough and wagner are not my first choice but I wouldn't be upset if either was appointed. 

Flores, Van Bommel, Silva are ones we probably couldn't get.

Keep checking the bookies odds as they very rarely get it wrong!

The way I see it we have a core squad of half decent players who have just lost faith in the management, and were probably embarrassed every time LJ opened his mouth to make his lame excuses or fantasy predictions. What the club needs is a strong manager who the players respect. I think any manager with half decent stats can turn this squad into a winning unit that plays as a team. The likes of Dasilva, Bentley, Kalas and Massengo  have gone backwards as the season has progressed. They are all good players who have simply lost confidence or just have become despondent. We have quality young players in the squad and on the fringes, and under a decent manager things should improve quickly. 

15 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I'll be very interested to see who Steve is targeting having gone out and got Pat Lam one of the top rated coaches in world rugby and sold him the idea that Bristol could become one of the top teams in Europe. 

The financial difference is huge, I’d imagine LJ was on a larger wage than Pat which says it all

13 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I'll be very interested to see who Steve is targeting having gone out and got Pat Lam one of the top rated coaches in world rugby and sold him the idea that Bristol could become one of the top teams in Europe. 

Bristol operate at a higher level and reputation to City, relative to their sports. And SL's money goes a lot further in rugby than in football.

7 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

While I get your second point. Weren't Bristol in the 'second tier' of rugby when they appointed Lam? 

When he arrived they were but he was appointed whilst they were still in the premiership, although by that stage of the season relegation was looking very likely 

I'm not against Ryan Lowe. He talks the talk, but then also walks the walk with his football. Started the season poorly with Argyle but continued to pursue his attacking football until suddenly it clicked and they were flying. I live in Plymouth and can see how much he has united the fanbase and created a winning mentality.

I get some feel the appointment needs to be 'ambitious' or someone who has won promotion to the Premier League before. But for me the appointment just has to be the right fit. Which I think he could be.

Dyche, Howe etc all had to start somewhere. 

58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cost a fortune for top world class managers

That's undoubtedly true but it also costs a fortune if you let the wrong manager make endless signings.  Some of the names mentioned have been a little daft but Jokanovic & Hughton should be both attainable and realistic as we're now an established Championship club. Ryan Lowe is an interesting proposition but I'm not quite sure how I'd feel about it  The other one I find intriguing is Paul Cook but he may well be a bit abrasive compared to the more statesmanlike figures of Hughton & Jokanovic who I think would both be appealing to the Bristol Sport "brand" (I know...it's a horrible word when used in a footballing context) 

My vote was for Slavisa Jokanovic as he has proven he can get a team out the division (twice) with a different set of players and personalities and we know all too well how hard it can be to get into the Premiership and he looks like someone who wouldn't take no crap from the players

Add to that the fact that it's been reported he would like to manage in England again and he is a decent age, but the question mark would be whether he would be the right man to work with the board and be a "Yes" man

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Whoever gets this job is going to get the same poisoned chalice that Derek McInnes got. 

Bloated squad that needs trimming with no money to spend. SL really did back the wrong horse. 

I think we have an unbalanced squad but it is far more talented than McInnes had.

There will need to be some trimming, but a good manager will make efficient use of the budget available, and trade accordingly.

Although the arse might fall out of the transfer window, there is a flip side that bringing players in will be less expensive, including many freebies as clubs cut their cloth.

We are nice and stable financially, and have built some FFP headroom to give the new appointment a fighting chance.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There are those who say they just want to be entertained, so this sounds promising.

”He is attack-minded, and Bury in 2018-19 were one of the Football League's highest-scoring teams; their style, described as "gung-ho",[3] soon brought success as the club finished second in League Two and earned promotion back to League One.[34] Lowe explained in an interview with The Guardian that he wanted to instil a "winning philosophy" and that, by outscoring their opponents, Bury would have a greater chance of achieving that goal. The on-field strategy is effectively a 3-1-4-2 formation”

Whether it will work at Championship level who knows. 

It won’t. 

2 hours ago, WesM said:

Decent chat with Ryan Lowe here on the I had trials once podcast.

They’ve had some decent guests on here....Andy Payton was the best.

Great, now I've got that Robin Hood song lodged in my brain "Ryan Lowe, Ryan Lowe, riding through the Glen, Ryan Lowe, Ryan Lowe with his band of men..." 

16 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Good god no. Did well with wales because of bale that’s it 

Not sure that's it at all. Bale still needed to be managed. I'd argue it's a challenge to keep an obvious big name player committed to a squad like they had. LJ struggled managing players that were too big for there boots. Colman clearly can.

The more I think about it the more I think Hughton is our man. He may see us as a similar challenge as he had at Brighton. Further we have good infrastructure in place at AG, stadium and business wise, and more being constructed in Failand so why not. Also, for some reason I feel sure we could afford him.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we have an unbalanced squad but it is far more talented than McInnes had.

There will need to be some trimming, but a good manager will make efficient use of the budget available, and trade accordingly.

Although the arse might fall out of the transfer window, there is a flip side that bringing players in will be less expensive, including many freebies as clubs cut their cloth.

We are nice and stable financially, and have built some FFP headroom to give the new appointment a fighting chance.

I feel like this played a big part in the timing of LJs sacking - they might have been wanting to wait till the end of the season, however with the playoff dream dead, and all the out of contract players floating around now and come the end of the season, it makes sense to bring someone in who’s going to have time to assess the squad and snap up any freebies while they’re available. There’s going to be some absolute bargains to be made this summer. 

48 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Not sure that's it at all. Bale still needed to be managed. I'd argue it's a challenge to keep an obvious big name player committed to a squad like they had. LJ struggled managing players that were too big for there boots. Colman clearly can.

Doesn’t make him a good manager though. He’s done nothing in club football 

16 hours ago, The Bard said:

Jokanovic. 2 seasons, 2 play off finals.

Ludicrously sacked after having about 20 players bought for him on deadline day at the beginning of the Prem season 

His team play some really good football ⚽️. I'd love for him to be the next City manager 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Obviously I’d like Chris houghton with us . He’s got two promotions from the championship , is very respected in the game and seems a top bloke. However, people who want exciting football would be disappointed . He got sacked from Brighton because of cautious/ negative football. 

He  may have got the sack from Brighton but still left with a win % of 40.9% and fans shouldn't forget how he trurend Brighton around when they looke certainties to be relagated to league one before he took over. A safe bet and could be perfect you guys 

Archived