IGNORED

What do you actually want from the next manager?

LondonBristolian

There's a tendency when manager vacancies come up to talk about names and "who" you want but I think an equally interesting question is what you want.

So, doing your best to leave names out of it, what do you actually want a new manager to do? What are the things that LJ wasn't doing that you'd like to see in the new manager, whoever it was? (And, if applicable, what were the things LJ was doing you'd like to keep in place?)

This is my list of things I'd like to change:

1. A consistent formation

2. A willingness to take teams on with our preferred way of playing rather than adapting to contain the opposition

3. More willingness to incorporate new signings without a season of "settling in" needed before incorporating them in the team.

4. A willingness to give a chance to those who have excelled in League One.

5. The ability to create a togetherness across the squad.

6. A connection with the fans.

7. A willingness to go at teams a bit, especially in "must win" games.

8. An approach of strengthening weaknesses in the first team without ripping it up and starting again.

9. An ability to adjust tactics and make changes during games that have an impact. 

10. A willingness to take responsibility.

I don't want the baby hurled out with the bathwater and I certainly don't want a manager who is going to sell off half the squad, spend a fortune on new players and ignore the youth system. I want evolution and building on what works rather than a completely rebuild.

What does everyone else want? Not in terms of names but what you actually want them to do.

I want a coach who doesn’t throw money about like it was confetti.

Who drills his squad so they know what they’re meant to be doing .

Who has confidence in himself and transmits that confidence to all around him.

Who encourages freedom of expression for his players .

Who is respected by players at the highest level.

A coach who is brave but not foolhardy.

A coach who has a history of success at this level and above .

A coach who forges a team and doesn’t just throw together a group of talented individuals.

An honest man . 

in addition to your list .

I think it's going to be a very difficult job for whoever comes in. Looking at the squad we have numerous issues:

An error prone goalkeeper who doesn't command his box.

Two full backs who aren't very good defenders.

Only two established central defenders, one who is injury prone.

One experienced midfield player, who probably has had one injury too many.

A squad with five number 10's, all unconvincing.

A 5 million pound centre forward who cannot trap a ball

One quality winger who will probably want to leave or have to be sold to raise some cash.

With lower league clubs going bust it's going to be virtually impossible to move players on.

To answer your question I want a manager, who is a miracle worker!

A manager who chooses not necessarily a formation but a way of playing, then signs players to suit the system rather than “lots of clubs in the bag” it doesn’t matter how many clubs you’ve got if your swing is inconsistent and changing half way through every shot  

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

There's a tendency when manager vacancies come up to talk about names and "who" you want but I think an equally interesting question is what you want.

So, doing your best to leave names out of it, what do you actually want a new manager to do? What are the things that LJ wasn't doing that you'd like to see in the new manager, whoever it was? (And, if applicable, what were the things LJ was doing you'd like to keep in place?)

2. A willingness to take teams on with our preferred way of playing rather than adapting to contain the opposition

3. More willingness to incorporate new signings without a season of "settling in" needed before incorporating them in the team.

8. An approach of strengthening weaknesses in the first team without ripping it up and starting again.

9. An ability to adjust tactics and make changes during games that have an impact. 

I don't want the baby hurled out with the bathwater and I certainly don't want a manager who is going to sell off half the squad, spend a fortune on new players and ignore the youth system. I want evolution and building on what works rather than a completely rebuild.

What does everyone else want? Not in terms of names but what you actually want them to do.

A lot of the ones on your list, but my number 1 wish is that we appoint someone who has achieved promotion from the Championship before. 

A head coach/manager who practices extreme ownership and the  dichotomy of leadership.

A head coach/manager who is able to stick to a philosophy of attractive, quick passing, pressing football who utilises the width on the pitch with his wingers 

A head/coach manger who can spot a good player and actually be able to help develop them even better.

11 minutes ago, Redpool said:

A head coach/manager who practices extreme ownership and the  dichotomy of leadership.

A head coach/manager who is able to stick to a philosophy of attractive, quick passing, pressing football who utilises the width on the pitch with his wingers 

A head/coach manger who can spot a good player and actually be able to help develop them even better.

Sounds like Stevie G’s red n white army, could not care if he is Klopps successor in waiting, let’s get him at the gate now to take us to the premier on the way!!!! Probably with Ryan the unplayable!!

You don't need a consistent formation, you can play many different formations while keeping the same principles of play & philosophy. If anything consistent formation makes you more predictable. The problem under Johnson would be I don't think you could6 say we did play with the same principles & philosophy when we did play with different formations.

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Playing Morrell Walsh and Moore instead of signing overpaid over the hill shite like Williams

The first part of your sentence sums up LJ. Moore was very good, however if we had not had an early season injury crisis would have been sold for peanuts.

Morell and Walsh not being brought back in January cost LJ his job. FFS we are so lightweight in the middle its ridiculous. Henrickson was a waste of time and Benko burger better than Moore, please fnck off!

Williams was bought in to assist at the back, because of the injury crisis so I never thought it was a bad signing and i certainly think that Williams had, had enough of LJs bullshit, along with the rest of the squad, the supporters and eventually the BoD!

A manager with a pony tail and a flamboyant dress sense.

He/she runs on the pitch to join goal celebrations. 

He/she confronts opposition managers for minor disagreements such as who a throw in should be awarded to.

He/she rides to the dugout on a black Arabian horse wielding a sword.

He/she crowd surfs the Lansdown stand after every win.

He/she is open-minded about a polygamous relationship with the playing staff.

He/she furiously swears at TV interviewers when asked even standard questions. 

He/she is too busy posting on OTIB to be present at training, using the forum as a means to score drugs and advocate free love.

22 minutes ago, hodge said:

You don't need a consistent formation, you can play many different formations while keeping the same principles of play & philosophy. If anything consistent formation makes you more predictable. The problem under Johnson would be I don't think you could6 say we did play with the same principles & philosophy when we did play with different formations.

Sure. I suppose what I mean is a general consistency of approach rather than the exact same formation. For example, you could pick the same ten players week in, week out in a 4-4-1 formation and, depending what you do with the eleventh player on the pitch, that formation can be 5-2-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 with the other ten players having a consistency of shape and approach. I agree it's about the exact same formation and I could have phrased the better but, as you say, it felt things changed every week and I don't think LJ had any idea who his best XI was. 

A manager where it’s obvious what he’s trying to achieve/been doing on the training pitch. One that doesn’t change formation/personnel with the weather.

choose an formation and a way of playing and stick to it. Johnson has great success with the pressing game then seemed to lose his way-all I have heard that our identify now is ‘busy bees’ which is incredibly weak!

3 hours ago, North of the River said:

I think it's going to be a very difficult job for whoever comes in. Looking at the squad we have numerous issues:

One quality winger who will probably want to leave or have to be sold to raise some cash.

With lower league clubs going bust it's going to be virtually impossible to move players on.

Most of the issues are that some players are being played in the incorrect positions. There is a good squad and balance of players. With a new coach things can only get better

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

As much has I'm not sure he'd suit the club.

Alot of those criteria make me think of Mick McCarthy, excluding 6 and 7 to differing extent.

4 hours ago, North of the River said:

Disagree. I think what we have is a very very good squad with plenty of talent that unfortunately is devoid of any confidence. I think a Mark Robbins type would be rubbing his hands together with the squad we have and also in the knowledge that there will be funds available to add in the transfer window.

I think the job of getting BCFC challenging next season is an easier job than you think, for the right man of course.

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

11. Recruit to your preferred system

12.Select players based on clear, consistency rationale, based predominantly on what they do on the pitch rather than in training 

13. Give youngsters an opportunity to sink or swim earlier.

Someone with the experience of getting a club promoted, preferably from the Championship to the Premier League. Doesn’t always work (SL still affected by Coppell’s cop out?) but this squad need someone to pull them together and get them playing properly. There are enough good players at this level, but we are clearly far less than the sum of our parts at the moment. The right person could sort that relatively quickly by picking players on the basis of what they do on the pitch rather than the training ground, but also have a consistent spine through the team.

Archived