IGNORED

What do you actually want from the next manager?

LondonBristolian

A manager who instils confidence in his players

A manager who actually knows what an identity is and can build a team to fit that identity

A manager who can convince players to join a club with ambition in a footballing backwater that hasn’t seen top flight football since 1980

A manager who can see what is happening on the pitch and make the right tactical changes to counteract/nullify the opposition’s threat and turn the tide of the game.

A manager who can instruct his team how to preserve a lead with minutes to go, and on the flip side can instruct his team to apply pressure at the end of a match when there is a goal in it.

A manager who intelligently varies dead ball situations so that we might gain an advantage when scoring during open play is difficult.

A manager who works on simple mistakes during training sessions so that we don’t get caught out again.

A manager whose style can stretch teams enabling us to get inside of the 18 yard box and make it count.

A manager who doesn’t think that spending 65+ minutes tapping it across the back line is good possession football.

A manager with an equally influential number 2 who knows what is required to make certain areas of the team stronger.

A manager with experience of challenging / taking teams up into the Premier League.

It will be Interesting to see who it would be. On one side it would be Interesting with Warnock. Remember when he was at Palace and we played against them, play off. Stubborn, angry, shouts but is always backing his team. Good manager with good results even If many thinks his teams dont play  nice football. Dont thinks its gonna happen but I wuldnt mind.

14 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

There's a tendency when manager vacancies come up to talk about names and "who" you want but I think an equally interesting question is what you want.

So, doing your best to leave names out of it, what do you actually want a new manager to do? What are the things that LJ wasn't doing that you'd like to see in the new manager, whoever it was? (And, if applicable, what were the things LJ was doing you'd like to keep in place?)

This is my list of things I'd like to change:

1. A consistent formation

2. A willingness to take teams on with our preferred way of playing rather than adapting to contain the opposition

3. More willingness to incorporate new signings without a season of "settling in" needed before incorporating them in the team.

4. A willingness to give a chance to those who have excelled in League One.

5. The ability to create a togetherness across the squad.

6. A connection with the fans.

7. A willingness to go at teams a bit, especially in "must win" games.

8. An approach of strengthening weaknesses in the first team without ripping it up and starting again.

9. An ability to adjust tactics and make changes during games that have an impact. 

10. A willingness to take responsibility.

I don't want the baby hurled out with the bathwater and I certainly don't want a manager who is going to sell off half the squad, spend a fortune on new players and ignore the youth system. I want evolution and building on what works rather than a completely rebuild.

What does everyone else want? Not in terms of names but what you actually want them to do.

A club builder not a project builder.

Lee Johnson has left where is his project? Its been volleyed out of the bathwater.

The academy and U teams ceased to provide players for the XI. Players from Bristol? Players from the South West? That is is dysfunctional. The squad became bloated. Recruitment became dysfunctional.

I would like to see commitment to values and principles. Bristol City will have local players in its XI be that from Bristol or the South West and it will commit to football that is attacking and progressive.

16 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

There's a tendency when manager vacancies come up to talk about names and "who" you want but I think an equally interesting question is what you want.

So, doing your best to leave names out of it, what do you actually want a new manager to do? What are the things that LJ wasn't doing that you'd like to see in the new manager, whoever it was? (And, if applicable, what were the things LJ was doing you'd like to keep in place?)

2. A willingness to take teams on with our preferred way of playing rather than adapting to contain the opposition

3. More willingness to incorporate new signings without a season of "settling in" needed before incorporating them in the team.

8. An approach of strengthening weaknesses in the first team without ripping it up and starting again.

9. An ability to adjust tactics and make changes during games that have an impact. 

I don't want the baby hurled out with the bathwater and I certainly don't want a manager who is going to sell off half the squad, spend a fortune on new players and ignore the youth system. I want evolution and building on what works rather than a completely rebuild.

What does everyone else want? Not in terms of names but what you actually want them to do.

Promotion.

Anyone fancy a pint?

10 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Someone with the experience of getting a club promoted, preferably from the Championship to the Premier League. Doesn’t always work (SL still affected by Coppell’s cop out?) but this squad need someone to pull them together and get them playing properly. There are enough good players at this level, but we are clearly far less than the sum of our parts at the moment. The right person could sort that relatively quickly by picking players on the basis of what they do on the pitch rather than the training ground, but also have a consistent spine through the team.

Coppell and SL is always trotted out....with good reason....but on the face of it, looking purely at the football part of it, it was a really good appointment.

Whatever SL’s meddling, or Copp’s state of mind, it had the makings of being exactly what we wanted.

25 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

Somebody who can conjugate the verb "to be" correctly. Particularly in the first person plural of the past tense.

But you must win inches and create box entries to done that

Someone with the best attributes of some recent-ish managers.

Can buy and develop players and sell them on for profit and buys into making us sustainable - like LJ

Buys first team players for a set system of play which is effective and leads to exciting football - like Cotterill

Can unite and galvanise supporters and make us get right behind the team - like GJ

15 hours ago, North of the River said:

I think it's going to be a very difficult job for whoever comes in. Looking at the squad we have numerous issues:

An error prone goalkeeper who doesn't command his box.

Two full backs who aren't very good defenders.

Only two established central defenders, one who is injury prone.

One experienced midfield player, who probably has had one injury too many.

A squad with five number 10's, all unconvincing.

A 5 million pound centre forward who cannot trap a ball

One quality winger who will probably want to leave or have to be sold to raise some cash.

With lower league clubs going bust it's going to be virtually impossible to move players on.

To answer your question I want a manager, who is a miracle worker!

I disagree

we have a keeper bereft of confidence. On form he is a very good keeper.

probably can’t disagree too much about the full backs but Pedro and JD are good footballers. They can be improved.

We need to bring in 1 maybe 2 centre backs. A manager with some clout may be able to pull someone decent in. If you mean Baker is injury prone, let’s not do that again it’s been disproven that he doesn’t go off injured as often as is believed. He was class yesterday which shows there is a player there and Kalas is quality too when confident. Lack of confidence in the keeper and protection in front has probably ruined our defence this season, as well as constant rotation. My hope is a new manager brings in someone better than we have and fives them time to settle and we’ll look quite good in this department.

A bit of an “enforcer” in midfield would be a good addition, alongside potentially Walsh, Massengo and Nagy (who are all talented footballers) and I won’t be too worried about midfield.

COD needs to go. Pato and Palmer can fight for a place but versatile enough to play across the front. Szmodics might come good.

One of the best front lines in the league on paper. Fammy needs to be more consistent with his better performances and our new manager needs to get the best out of our attacking players.

I want a manager that can do the following:

- Install some confidence and passion in the players. With that some team spirit. None of these “trusted players” and non trusted. I want a group like we had under cotts where everyone is together, back up players know if they perform when a chance comes they keep their place.

- Decide on a team, and a spine and stick to it. Give it time to gel and mature. We need a settled side where players really learn each other and trust each other.

- Give us some form of “identity”. I don’t care what it is really but I want to see what the manager is trying to do. I want us to have a style of play that we at least try and impose on the opposition.

- Talk to the fans in a non-bullshit way. I want to hear a manager take responsibility and own a bad performance. I don’t want to hear a player thrown under the bus, that needs to stay private.

- Give youth a chance where possible. I’d love to see some local lads in the team, if they’re good enough. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Coppell and SL is always trotted out....with good reason....but on the face of it, looking purely at the football part of it, it was a really good appointment.

Whatever SL’s meddling, or Copp’s state of mind, it had the makings of being exactly what we wanted.

I don’t disagree. And this time SL will want the coach/manager coming straight in and taking up the appointment, not going on holiday first, and then starting pre-season on the back foot. 

A manager who has a clear style of play that is evident week in week out. 

A recruitment policy that looks at buying players that fit said style. Our recruitment policy has been sporadic at best signing all different types of players not playing in a particular system or style of play. 

17 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yes, I'll take all of that please.  It's quite a long list though so there might be some compromises.

The things I think are most important are evolution not revolution, and having a clear shape and style of play (and as part of that not changing the back line unless forced to).

The squad is pretty good, there are some players not playing much we should clear out and we need to bring in a handful, but we don't need wholesale changes to the first XVI just a few gaps filled.

What we need is the kind of consistency that only comes from everybody having a clear understanding of what's being asked of them and why, and having the confidence that you get from playing regularly.

LJ to me did not value these things highly enough, trusting too much in his ability to out think opponents and as a result we got a muddled mess of changes every game and a muddled mess of performances.

Let's not do that again.

If we can play some high pressing, passing football especially at home then great.

Someone who can sort out what the club seems to have been dogged by for the last 40 years, the softest of soft underbellies.  Even in our best season, in terms of the highest finishing position in the league since we were last in the top flight, ie 2008 with GJ, we had already blown what should have been automatic promotion to the Prem, and then we bottled it in the final v Hull.  

Either side of that we had what seemed to be good managers (Ward and Cotterill) who both won brilliant promotions, only for it all to go pear shaped once we arrived in the Championship.  Chuck the likes of Coppell, Dennis Smith, McInnes, Wilson, SOD etc, all managers who arrived with decent reputations for it all to end up as years of false dawns.  At least LJ staved off relegation, and then provided some progress over the years, but he just could not shake off this reputation of not being turn round these ridiculous bad runs, in most cases where the very same squad had shown streaks of brilliant results.  But in those bad streaks, again the soft underbelly was very much to the fore, and eventually did for him.  It was absolutely no surprise when Cardiff got their late winner yesterday, neither was it any great surprise when Forest scored the winner in what was our best showing since the re-start.  

In the last 3 seasons we have fallen away badly from what have been decent positions around December/January.  What is it about this club that means we continually choke when we have a sniff of reaching the Prem?  The manager that can sort out that conundrum is the one we want.  God knows who that will be, but I think that starting with a manager who has already won a promotion from the Championship might be a step in the right direction.

17 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Change the title to what do OTIB want from a Manager and you get the following

1. To be his own man and not listen to outside influences, but to play the players who are flavour of the month and drop the ones who have become the subject of the knockers.

2. To play a 3-5-2 formation that morphs into 4-4-2 with occasional uses of 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1 if the previous formations don't bring results

3. to have 16 nasty bastards who can all play pretty football and entertain at the same time.

4. To play exciting attacking fluid football unless that means we keep losing games 3-4, in which case to strengthen the defence whilst still playing 3 up front

5. Play the young academy players, but only the good ones and the ones who never make mistakes, but also bring in some older heads, without paying them too much money and without making the squad any bigger than it already is.

6 Change our name to Brentford FC

Someone who can get the team playing with purpose and direction. In so many of our performances the players have just seemed lost. 

Also someone who can inspire/motivate players to run through brick walls for them. There has been a lack of passion in City’s play for quite a long time now. Whether that’s because the players were inhibited by what LJ wanted them to do or whatever, I want to see our players busting a gut more, rather than those languid performances we are far too used to. 

Probably talking to the top contenders already, who-ever it is will obviously have "the project" "5 pillars" drummed into them as a number 1 priority; hopefully he will have a proven track record and is not one for the future.

Will cost a few bob for someone decent but they could also fill the gate and take us to hieghts many have only dreamed of.

Going for someone to sneak in under the radar and surprise us and the bookies.

On 04/07/2020 at 21:24, Major Isewater said:

I want a coach who doesn’t throw money about like it was confetti.

Who drills his squad so they know what they’re meant to be doing .

Who has confidence in himself and transmits that confidence to all around him.

Who encourages freedom of expression for his players .

Who is respected by players at the highest level.

A coach who is brave but not foolhardy.

A coach who has a history of success at this level and above .

A coach who forges a team and doesn’t just throw together a group of talented individuals.

An honest man . 

in addition to your list .

Chris Hughton 

Archived