IGNORED

Where next for LJ?

westred1

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

If true and I have no reason to doubt you, I find this astonishing and in no small way incredibly hypocritical, by the powers that be, when you consider the "back story" to Cott's dismissal.

Don’t be surprised. This sort of thing is rife in football. 

1 hour ago, westred1 said:

Couldn’t agree more.

I wonder whether he’ll learn to adapt from his time here and go on to be a success at this level or in the Prem.

Perhaps too much pressure and an emotional attachment at City to succeed.

Too much pressure at City? Sorry, but that’s laughable - our fans haven’t got a clue how to generate a toxic atmosphere - it’s a laid back, easy going gig at Bristol City for players, managers and owners - we grumble a little bit on social media and sit on our hands at home games, but we don’t really give anyone a hard time ...

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

He hasn't raised the club to another level - we're at the same level...... 60 mill 60 players and 4 years to move from 22nd to 12th. Even Lansdown's had enough. All the club's progress has been off the field , stadium infrastructure training ground but LJ hasn't kept pace on the field so that's why SL finally acted as he was holding us back. No amount of LJ's bullshit could mask that.

12th after a shite run, for the majority of the season we've been top 10, we're definitely a better team/squad then when he arrived, you attract higher quality players through money/success, money to spend because the club had been increasingly successful season on season under him. You quote the numbers for how much he spent but omit how much he brought in, its all well and good saying he's spent x amount but its not just adding to the squad he had, he had to replace and improve at the same time. I'd guess after all the complicated financial work what Johnson recouped a similar amount to that spent. Right time to go - yes, but LJ has taken this club up from where it was in regards to the division.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Too much pressure at City? Sorry, but that’s laughable - our fans haven’t got a clue how to generate a toxic atmosphere - it’s a laid back, easy going gig at Bristol City for players, managers and owners - we grumble a little bit on social media and sit on our hands at home games, but we don’t really give anyone a hard time ...

Sky called us “keyboard warriors” today!

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

They'd probably go for someone with a decent CV, who'd actually won something somewhere even if it's only once. 

Any lower end championship club simply wants to move away from the drop zone, the financial difference between divisions is too much and you don't get parachute payments like dropping from the prem. LJ having done so with us will appeal to clubs who could then figure moving onto someone else once they're in our sort of position now.

Just now, hodge said:

12th after a shite run, for the majority of the season we've been top 10, we're definitely a better team/squad then when he arrived, you attract higher quality players through money/success, money to spend because the club had been increasingly successful season on season under him. You quote the numbers for how much he spent but omit how much he brought in, its all well and good saying he's spent x amount but its not just adding to the squad he had, he had to replace and improve at the same time. I'd guess after all the complicated financial work what Johnson recouped a similar amount to that spent. Right time to go - yes, but LJ has taken this club up from where it was in regards to the division.

In whatever way we decide to talk about recruitment finances:.

• If you’re gonna say we can’t include players who were already here, then you have to give LJ the value of the players he’s leaving behind
  • if you are gonna say you can include them, then don’t talk about the value of players still here and how much they “might” go for.

thats all!

There is a lot of disrespectful comments on here which I think are uncalled for.

There's no doubt in my mind of LJ's love for the club & I have been a backer of LJ for a long time now, but love of the club is not enough but it was obvious to most that he had taken us as far as he could & I think we should be grateful for that. I wish him well but at the same time hope the club appoints a proven championship manager next, who will it be ?, interesting times ahead.

COYR's

13 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

They'd probably go for someone with a decent CV, who'd actually won something somewhere even if it's only once. 

Johnson has a decent CV which chairmen would want. Stability. Improved finances. Improved squads. Cup runs. Young. 

Who do you want as Bristol City manager? 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

While I broadly agree, OTIB and keyboard warriors is quite a statement by Sky.

A lot of you are coming across as petulant little children.

I wanted LJ more than most but to deny his contribution towards the club's progression shows just how bitter and clueless some of you are. Yes, the end of his tenure was infuriating to watch but he leaves with us in a much better situation than when he arrived.

55 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Why do some folk think he'll get a job at Championship level..or even more laughable at Premiership level....7 seasons in management and won nothing, just 2 top half finishes,  How many clubs want to spend £60+M and churn 70 players over 9 windows to stand still?  He may well be a nice chap but he's been given more time more money and more players than any manager has a right to expect and delivered very little. 

Massive fail from Lansdown again and his success rate of 1 in 7 (Dawe picked Cotts) is a real concern as he attempts once again to pick a winner.

In fairness I had significant issues with LJ's reign, especially in recent months- well amplified post lockdown but his record for his budget isn't bad. It's not amazing either.

Let's not forget how much was raised in sales- but the churn of players was a concern to me- 70 players in 9 windows is ridiculous.

I've got mixed views on him anyway but undoubtedly think he'd come to the end of the line here.

I think there is a possibility that as long as the Lansdowns are in charge, and Johnson is a manager, he will return to manage us at times throughout the years when we are after a manager & he is out of work.

A bit like Darren Ferguson at Peterborough & Martin Allen at Barnet.

4 minutes ago, Kykoliko said:

A lot of you are coming across as bitter and petulant little children.

I wanted LJ more than most but to deny his contribution towards the club's progression shows just how bitter and clueless some of you are. Yes, the end of his tenure was infuriating to watch but don't go around but he leaves with us in a much better situation than when he arrived.

Says the voice of experience, after signing god knows how many players and being given more time and money than almost any city manager since well almost ever we still look clueless, we have gone backwards the football recently especially at home has been painful to watch a better situation you say well not from where I'm sitting.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

after signing god knows how many players and being given more time and money than almost any city manager since well almost ever we still look clueless, we have gone backwards the football recently especially at home has been painful to watch

Same can be said about Hughton at Brighton and a lot want him here. 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

Says the voice of experience, after signing god knows how many players and being given more time and money than almost any city manager since well almost ever we still look clueless, we have gone backwards the football recently especially at home has been painful to watch a better situation you say well not from where I'm sitting.

So your only metric is your perception of the quality of football at home recently? Cool.

Just now, Selred said:

Same can be said about Hughton at Brighton and a lot want him here. 

It's a difficult problem trying to please everybody, what I want for the club is for them to stop trying to do things on the cheap. I'm sick of us being some sort of training academy for managers and would like us to sign a manager with at least some proven record of success. now who that is well your guess is as good as mine.

It's a difficult problem trying to please everybody, what I want for the club is for them to stop trying to do things on the cheap. I'm sick of us being some sort of training academy for managers and would like us to sign a manager with at least some proven record of success. now who that is well your guess is as good as mine.

I'd argue Cotts, SOD and Coppell weren't on the cheap, and certainly weren't up and coming. 

5 minutes ago, Kykoliko said:

So your only metric is your perception of the quality of football at home recently? Cool.

I said especially at home not exclusively, even you must admit we have been extremely inconsistent during most of LJs reign that kind of record will not ultimately get you any kind of success.  

Just now, shelts said:

I do think he will be a success somewhere else and do a job in the Premiership . 

Really? what if I may ask has he  done up to this point that makes you think that because to me I just don't see it.

Really? what if I may ask has he  done up to this point that makes you think that because to me I just don't see it.

It hasn’t worked out here , many other managers have failed somewhere and gone onto do good things in the game and I think LJ will do the same . He’s got things wrong this season and results and performances tell the story     but he will learn from that . He’s full of ideas and thinks outside of the box . 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Any lower end championship club simply wants to move away from the drop zone, the financial difference between divisions is too much and you don't get parachute payments like dropping from the prem. LJ having done so with us will appeal to clubs who could then figure moving onto someone else once they're in our sort of position now.

Reading around various Championship forums, there is a considerable amount of surprise that we have sacked him. Many see us as expecting too much for a club of this size. Fans of several clubs would see him as an acceptable replacement for what they have now - including PNE fans who would take a straight swap!

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep. Dodgy could indeed be a word one could use. 

Nothing to necessarily disclose that I haven’t posted on here loads before. Our recruitment is NOT LJ’s responsibility and the person who IS in charge is well-reknowned in the game for only using ‘certain’ agents. 

In terms of player names, I’d be confident in saying the likes of Engvall, Hegeler, Perreira, Djuric. Gieffer, Marinovic, Nagy, Palmer, Magnússon, Diony, Massengo, O’Neill, off the top of my head, likely more, were certainly not players LJ suggested or wanted. 

This is an interesting post. I cant think of another time in my 36 years of supporting where so many players have passed through and literally bombed into obscurity, some not even getting any first team minutes in the league. Would a manager calling all the shots on signings last 4 1/2 years in a job? Makes me wonder!! 

Would be pretty worried for the future regarding relationship between DOF and FTC if this was to continue.

I've woken this morning relieved that he's gone. At last!

Let's get a respected proven manager in, not another Lansdown 'project'.

What Lee Johnson does next doesn't interest me in the least. I'm amazed that so many others care...he latterly came across to me as charmless and entitled. Floundering, out of his depth. Glad to see the back of him.

Archived